|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Mark want to belong to the N.I.C.E. after he had made the decision to resist them?
(a) The bad eldils.
(b) The excitement of Frost's offer.
(c) His desire to belong.
(d) He thinks of Jane.
2. What does the note from Jane say that Mark gets when he wakes up in the banquet hall?
(a) That he should go to St. Anne's.
(b) That she misses him and wants him to come home.
(c) That she knows someone who can help him repent.
(d) That she wants a divorce.
3. What was found at the site of Hengest's murder that implicates Mark?
(a) Mark's wallet.
(b) A piece of paper with Mark and Jane's address.
(c) Mark's glove.
(d) Jane's pocketbook.
4. Where does Mark go after he finds his apartment has been empty for a few days?
(a) A N.I.C.E. bar.
(b) The Dimble's house.
(c) Bracton College.
(d) St. Anne's house.
5. When Mark wakes up in the banquet hall what does he see?
(a) The Fairy shooting Jules.
(b) Everything as it should be.
(c) A room full of dead people.
(d) The Head trying to calm the madness.
6. What did Wither's men find in Bragdon Wood?
(a) The empty chamber where Merlin was sleeping.
(b) An army of Eldils.
(c) A pile of dead bodies.
7. What does Jane do that makes it impossible for Mr. Frost to spy on her dreams?
(a) She stopps having the dreams.
(b) She learns to control who has access to them.
(c) She puts herself under the protection of an opposing force.
(d) She receives a blessing from Ransom.
8. What is Jane's opinion of Mr. Ransom after hearing Mr. Macphee's emotionless version of Mr. Ransom's history?
(a) She does not fully understand everthing that was said.
(b) She is skeptical of the interplanetary traveling.
(c) She believes the story is true.
(d) She is frightened of his power.
9. What effect does the coming of Jove have on the people at St. Anne's?
(a) The temperature rises, and a sweet breeze wafts through the room.
(b) Knowledge and thoughts flow freely.
(c) Causes everyone in the house to feel regal and proud.
(d) Everyone in the house becomes very cold.
10. Which of these was NOT a way that Mr. Frost thought about using to get Mark to bring Jane to them?
11. What effect does the coming of Mercury have on the people at St. Anne's?
(a) Causes everyone in the house to feel regal and proud.
(b) The temperature rises, and a sweet breeze wafts through the room.
(c) Everyone finds himself with great courage.
(d) Knowledge and thoughts flow freely.
12. What does Merlin think Ransom and his followers should do to Jane?
(a) Let her rest.
(b) Protect her.
(c) Embrace her.
(d) Kill her.
13. What does Mark want from Mr. Dimble when he sees him at the college?
(a) A ride back to Belbury.
(b) Money for a train ticket.
(c) Legal advice.
(d) Jane's address.
14. What do Straik and Wither do to Filostrato when Filostrato is taken to meet the Head?
(a) Strip him of his clothes.
(b) Explain to him the real mission of the N.I.C.E.
(c) Make him spend some time in the objectivity room.
(d) Cut off his head.
15. What was MacPhee doing while Ransom was answering Merlin's riddles?
(a) Watching intently.
(b) Reading a book.
(c) Writing down the exchange.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Mr. Maggs been since the beginning of the book?
2. What is the old man's chief concern while being held at Belbury?
3. What change occurs in Mr. Dimble as the search party for Merlin draws nearer to the fire?
4. What does Jane NOT find at the campsite in Bragdon Wood?
5. What did Jane dream about the night that Mark saw the Head?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)