|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the bearded man on the stone table that Jane sees in her dreams?
(c) Mr. Wither.
2. What does Mark do when he sees Wither standing at the clearing in the wood the second time?
(a) Turns back to Belbury.
(b) Tries to hide from sight.
(c) Punches him in the head.
(d) Tells him he is off to fetch Jane.
3. Who is the real leader of St. Anne's?
(b) Mr. Ransom.
(c) Mr. Dimble.
(d) The eldils.
4. Why does Mark decide to pretend to progress in his new lessons at the N.I.C.E. after he decides to find a way to leave the N.I.C.E.?
(a) He wants to try and become the leader so that he can make changes from the top.
(b) He knows he will be killed if he does not.
(c) He is starting to see the logic behind Mr. Frost's motives.
(d) He has been brainwashed.
5. What do Straik and Wither do to Filostrato when Filostrato is taken to meet the Head?
(a) Cut off his head.
(b) Make him spend some time in the objectivity room.
(c) Explain to him the real mission of the N.I.C.E.
(d) Strip him of his clothes.
6. What is Mark's opinion of The Fairy after she tells him his wife is in danger?
(a) He knows that she is lying to him.
(b) He thinks she is as beautiful as ever.
(c) He feels she is a bully.
(d) He trusts her implicitly.
7. What change occurs in Mr. Dimble as the search party for Merlin draws nearer to the fire?
(a) All of his sins are brought to his mind.
(b) He becomes angry with Ransom for sending him here.
(c) He loses all his fear.
(d) He fears that there may not be an afterlife.
8. Why is it so hard for Jane, Ransom and Mr. Deniston to find the fence that Jane dreamed about?
(a) It is covered in smoke.
(b) There is a deep fog over everything.
(c) It is raining.
(d) There are many different fences in Edgestow.
9. Why is Mark desirable to the N.I.C.E. even without Jane?
(a) He is very obedient.
(b) He has never been sick in his life.
(c) He has a good brain.
(d) He has good genes.
10. What did Frost say Mark's murder charge was?
(a) A misunderstanding.
(b) Part of his initiation into the inner circle.
(c) Something Frost would like to thank him for.
(d) A reason for deep misgivings.
11. What was found at the site of Hengest's murder that implicates Mark?
(a) Jane's pocketbook.
(b) A piece of paper with Mark and Jane's address.
(c) Mark's wallet.
(d) Mark's glove.
12. When Mark wakes up in the banquet hall what does he see?
(a) The Head trying to calm the madness.
(b) The Fairy shooting Jules.
(c) A room full of dead people.
(d) Everything as it should be.
13. Where does Mrs. Denniston tell Jane that Mr. Ransom will go instead of dying again?
(a) Deep Heaven.
(b) Middle Earth.
(c) Merlin's Well.
14. What does Jane NOT find at the campsite in Bragdon Wood?
(a) A donkey.
(b) A campfire.
15. What does Mark realize will happen to him if he does not comply with all Mr. Wither's demands?
(a) They will not allow him to be part of an exclusive group.
(b) They will kill him.
(c) He will never be promoted.
(d) They will fire him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Mark lose his resolve to distrust anyone at the N.I.C.E.?
2. What effect does the coming of Mercury have on the people at St. Anne's?
3. What does the naked man in the inner room call for when he awakens?
4. What makes Mark want to belong to the N.I.C.E. after he had made the decision to resist them?
5. Why does Mark return back to Belbury instead of leaving to get Jane?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)