|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the Fairy able to give such a detailed report to Frost and Wither about what Mark has been doing in Edgestow?
(a) She made it all up to impress them.
(b) She has many agents in the area reporting to her.
(c) She has telepathic powers.
(d) She followed him.
2. What is the old man's chief concern while being held at Belbury?
3. Who is the one person who puts their trust in Ransom when everyone is accusing him of treachery after he speaks with Merlin.
(c) Mrs. Maggs.
(d) Mr. MacPhee.
4. What does Jane do that makes it impossible for Mr. Frost to spy on her dreams?
(a) She learns to control who has access to them.
(b) She receives a blessing from Ransom.
(c) She puts herself under the protection of an opposing force.
(d) She stopps having the dreams.
5. Where does the Fairy tell Mark his wife is as he is writing his letter to Jane?
(a) In the hospital.
(b) In Belbury.
(c) In an insane asylum.
(d) In St. Anne's house.
6. What effect does the coming of Venus have on the people at St. Anne's?
(a) Everyone in the house becomes very cold.
(b) Everyone finds himself with great courage.
(c) The temperature rises, and a sweet breeze wafts through the room.
(d) Causes everyone in the house to feel regal and proud.
7. What makes Mark want to belong to the N.I.C.E. after he had made the decision to resist them?
(a) The excitement of Frost's offer.
(b) The bad eldils.
(c) His desire to belong.
(d) He thinks of Jane.
8. How does Merlin greet Ransom when he realizes Ransom is the real leader at St. Anne's?
(a) Shakes his hand warmly.
(b) Embraces him and kisses both cheeks.
(c) Prostates himself on the floor until commanded to stand.
(d) Gets down on one knee and bows to him.
9. What change occurs in Mr. Dimble as the search party for Merlin draws nearer to the fire?
(a) All of his sins are brought to his mind.
(b) He loses all his fear.
(c) He becomes angry with Ransom for sending him here.
(d) He fears that there may not be an afterlife.
10. According to Ransom, why has God chosen to use Merlin in this fight?
(a) This is a way for Merlin to repent of his sins.
(b) He is from a time when dabbling in black magic was not yet evil.
(c) He is an unbiased party.
(d) He has the power to create a plan that will lead to victory.
11. What does Jane think of the ancient biblical language that Ransom uses?
(a) She thinks she has heard it somewhere before.
(b) She thinks it is beautiful.
(c) She finds it cold and grating.
(d) She is surprised that she can understand it.
12. What happened to the old man's clothes before he was found in the wood naked?
(a) He never wore any.
(b) They were stolen.
(c) They were stripped off of him so that he could meet the Head.
(d) They were taken away to be sanitized.
13. What does Merlin show fear of during his private conversation with Ransom?
14. What does Mark do when he sees Wither standing at the clearing in the wood the second time?
(a) Tries to hide from sight.
(b) Turns back to Belbury.
(c) Tells him he is off to fetch Jane.
(d) Punches him in the head.
15. Who offers to help Mark leave the N.I.C.E.?
(a) Mr. Dimble.
(b) Mr. Ransom.
(c) Mr. MacPhee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark do when he sees the Head for the first time?
2. What old power are the evil eldils seeking?
3. What does the note from Jane say that Mark gets when he wakes up in the banquet hall?
4. Whose protection is Jane putting herself under as they search for Merlin?
5. What effect does the coming of Mercury have on the people at St. Anne's?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)