|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is significant about the fire that Mr. Deniston and Ransom see in the distance while driving to find Merlin?
(a) Jane has dreamed about it.
(b) The college is being burned down.
(c) They believe it is a sign of things to come.
(d) The smoke is blue.
2. Why does Mark decide to pretend to progress in his new lessons at the N.I.C.E. after he decides to find a way to leave the N.I.C.E.?
(a) He wants to try and become the leader so that he can make changes from the top.
(b) He has been brainwashed.
(c) He knows he will be killed if he does not.
(d) He is starting to see the logic behind Mr. Frost's motives.
3. What do Straik and Wither do to Filostrato when Filostrato is taken to meet the Head?
(a) Make him spend some time in the objectivity room.
(b) Explain to him the real mission of the N.I.C.E.
(c) Cut off his head.
(d) Strip him of his clothes.
4. What did the macrobes tell Frost that the fate of human beings is?
(a) To become extinct.
(b) To overthrow the anarchy at Bracton College.
(c) To form a race of perfect beings.
(d) To exist without bodies.
5. What does Frost tell Mark to do to the crucifix on the floor of his training room?
(a) Rid himself of any emotions tied to that image.
(b) Examine it for flaws.
(c) Kneel before it and pray.
(d) Stomp on it.
6. According to Ransom, what is the only way for the good side to win this upcoming battle between good and evil?
(a) To wait for the N.I.C.E. to destroy themselves from within.
(b) To have Merlin conjur up black magic attacks.
(c) To receive the Oyeresu themselves.
(d) To spread the word of what the N.I.C.E. are really up to.
7. What old power are the evil eldils seeking?
(b) The good eldils.
8. What does Merlin show fear of during his private conversation with Ransom?
9. Where does Mark go after he finds his apartment has been empty for a few days?
(a) A N.I.C.E. bar.
(b) Bracton College.
(c) The Dimble's house.
(d) St. Anne's house.
10. According to Merlin, if Jane had had a child, what would that child have done?
(a) Kept humanity safe for a thousand years.
(b) Vanquished the College before it allowed the N.I.C.E. to take over.
(c) Known the secret to defeating the N.I.C.E.
(d) Reigned as king, and been an assistant to Ransom.
11. What does Mark do after he defeats the urgings of the bad eldil while in the room Frost left him alone in?
(a) He repeats the words "I do not belong here" over and over.
(b) He tries desperately to escape.
(c) He speaks with the eldil.
(d) He goes to sleep.
12. Where has Mr. Maggs been since the beginning of the book?
(a) Lost in Bragdon Wood.
(b) In prison.
(c) At Belbury.
(d) At Bracston College.
13. What was found at the site of Hengest's murder that implicates Mark?
(a) Jane's pocketbook.
(b) Mark's glove.
(c) A piece of paper with Mark and Jane's address.
(d) Mark's wallet.
14. What does Mark agree to be trained in before Mr. Frost finally releases him and lets him eat?
15. Which of these was NOT a way that Mr. Frost thought about using to get Mark to bring Jane to them?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frost receive while he is in the holding cell with Mark that makes him leave in a hurry?
2. Why does Mark return back to Belbury instead of leaving to get Jane?
3. What effect does the coming of Mercury have on the people at St. Anne's?
4. What is Jane's opinion of Mr. Ransom after hearing Mr. Macphee's emotionless version of Mr. Ransom's history?
5. Who is the first person to be killed during the chaos of the banquet?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)