|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Dimbles have to move?
(a) Mr. Dimble got a new job with the college and wants to be closer to it.
(b) They have been forced out of the college society.
(c) They are being persecuted by the N.I.C.E.
(d) They live in Bragdon Wood.
2. What does Filostrato tell Mark that the real purpose of the N.I.C.E. is while they are chatting in Filostrato's room?
(a) To give eternal life to the human brain.
(b) To rid the world of all organic matter.
(c) To rid the world of evil-minded beings.
(d) To prepare for an inter-gallactic war.
3. Who is causing all of the disturbances that Mark is writing about?
(a) The College.
(b) Mr. Ransom.
(d) St. Anne's.
4. Who does Professor Filostrato warn Mark to not make an enemy of?
(a) Lord Feverstone.
(b) Mr. Steele.
(c) The Fairy.
(d) Mr. Ransom.
5. What happened to the prisoner Alcasan?
(a) He was tortured and killed.
(b) He never really existed; he was just a propaganda story.
(c) He tried to defy the N.I.C.E. and is now undergoing brainwashing experiments.
(d) He became the Head.
6. What title does Mark give himself at work?
7. How much does a lifetime membership in the N.I.C.E. cost?
(a) 500 pounds.
(b) 200 pounds.
(c) 150 dollars.
(d) It is free with a life pledge of loyalty.
8. What does Mr. Dimble ask Jane to do before she tells anyone else about her dream?
(a) Ask a key question.
(b) Close her eyes and picture the perfect details of the dream.
(c) Pray about it.
(d) Tell him.
9. What does Lord Feverstone tell Mark that he will lose if he turns down the position at the N.I.C.E.?
(a) His comfortable salary.
(b) His fellowship at the college.
(c) His marriage.
(d) His respect in the scientific community.
10. What does Mark admire about Jane the morning after she was so frightened and he ignored her to get some sleep after his dinner party?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her voice.
(c) Her spirit.
(d) Her mind.
11. What does the Fairy do to Jane during the riot on the street?
(a) Greets her with open arms.
(b) Turns her over to the police.
(c) Burns her with a cigarette.
(d) Cuts her hair as a sign of power.
12. What will a beast not do after speaking with the master of St. Anne's?
(a) Return to the wild.
(b) Harm a human.
(c) Die at the hands of a human.
(d) Bear offspring.
13. How does Mr. Wither get Mark to stay with the N.I.C.E.?
(a) He threatens Mark.
(b) He offers to raise Mark's wages.
(c) He asks Mark kindly for a favor.
(d) He makes Mark feel like part of a group.
14. Why is Mr. Dimble suspicious of N.I.C.E. buying the wood?
(a) They are paying much more than the wood is worth.
(b) He has had a dream about the leader of the N.I.C.E.
(c) They are kicking him out of his house.
(d) It is not really fit to build on.
15. Why does Mr. Macphee not have any opinions?
(a) He feels that opinions are evil.
(b) He hides his true feelings.
(c) He was once a bear, and bears have no opinions.
(d) He sees only facts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spends the night with Jane after her trip to St. Anne's?
2. Which of these is NOT a suggested plan of the N.I.C.E. to get rid of the problem of mankind?
3. What does the Fairy tell Mark to do if he decides to leave the N.I.C.E.?
4. What mythical character does Mr. Dimble refer to while speaking with Jane about Bragdon Wood?
5. What is Mark's main concern at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)