|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Dimbles have to move?
(a) They are being persecuted by the N.I.C.E.
(b) They live in Bragdon Wood.
(c) They have been forced out of the college society.
(d) Mr. Dimble got a new job with the college and wants to be closer to it.
2. Who does Professor Filostrato warn Mark to not make an enemy of?
(a) Mr. Ransom.
(b) Mr. Steele.
(c) Lord Feverstone.
(d) The Fairy.
3. What is Bracton College being forced to do after they have already sold off Bragdon Wood?
(a) Redirect the Wynd River.
(b) Sell out to the N.I.C.E.
(c) Hold a funeral proceeding for Mr. Hingest.
(d) Give over half of their staff to aid the progression of the N.I.C.E.
4. Why is Mr. Wither upset at the Fairy for trying to take Jane by force at the riot?
(a) He fears that Jane will report what the Fairy did.
(b) He is upset that the Fairy was not succesful bringing Jane in.
(c) He knows she will never join the N.I.C.E. willingly now.
(d) He is afraid it will disrupt her gift.
5. Why has Jane not had children yet?
(a) She fears that she will be a bad mother.
(b) She wants to have a more stable situation first.
(c) She hates her husband.
(d) She likes to avoid entaglements.
6. What must Jane do in order to join St. Anne's?
(a) Pay a small fee.
(b) Write down her dreams.
(c) Get Mark's permission.
(d) Make a pledge of loyalty.
7. What does Lord Feverstone tell Mark that he will lose if he turns down the position at the N.I.C.E.?
(a) His comfortable salary.
(b) His respect in the scientific community.
(c) His marriage.
(d) His fellowship at the college.
8. What is the name of the murdered man who Feverstone says was the only man who could help with the interplanetary problems?
(a) Progressive Element.
9. What name is Mr. Denniston also known by?
(a) Mr. Frost.
(b) Mr. Fairy.
(c) Mr. Ransom.
(d) Mr. Fisher-King.
10. Who is at Jane's bedside when she wakes up after her night at the riot?
(a) Mr. Ransom.
(c) The Fairy.
(d) Mrs. Maggs.
11. What does Mark have to wear when meeting with the Head?
(a) A symbolic smock.
(c) Sterile clothes, a mask, and gloves.
(d) A blindfold.
12. What is Jane suffering from at night?
(b) Horrible dreams.
(c) Terrible headaches.
13. What does Mark admire about Jane the morning after she was so frightened and he ignored her to get some sleep after his dinner party?
(a) Her voice.
(b) Her spirit.
(c) Her mind.
(d) Her beauty.
14. What is different in the atmosphere between Edgestow and St. Anne's?
(a) There is a happy feeling as one enters the gates of St. Anne's.
(b) The sun always shines on St. Anne's.
(c) There is no fog at St. Anne's.
(d) The grass is greener at St. Anne's.
15. What does Filostrato tell Mark that the real purpose of the N.I.C.E. is while they are chatting in Filostrato's room?
(a) To rid the world of evil-minded beings.
(b) To give eternal life to the human brain.
(c) To rid the world of all organic matter.
(d) To prepare for an inter-gallactic war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is causing all of the disturbances that Mark is writing about?
2. How does Mark see Lord Feverstone when they pass a mirror?
3. How does Mr. Wither get Mark to stay with the N.I.C.E.?
4. What is the draw for Bracton to sell Bragdon Wood to N.I.C.E.?
5. What does Mr. Dimble ask Jane to do before she tells anyone else about her dream?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)