|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who controls most of the newspapers?
(a) Bracston College.
(b) St. Anne's.
(c) The Fairy.
(d) The N.I.C.E.
2. Why is Mr. Dimble suspicious of N.I.C.E. buying the wood?
(a) It is not really fit to build on.
(b) They are paying much more than the wood is worth.
(c) He has had a dream about the leader of the N.I.C.E.
(d) They are kicking him out of his house.
3. What does Filostrato tell Mark that the real purpose of the N.I.C.E. is while they are chatting in Filostrato's room?
(a) To give eternal life to the human brain.
(b) To rid the world of evil-minded beings.
(c) To rid the world of all organic matter.
(d) To prepare for an inter-gallactic war.
4. What is the name of the murdered man who Feverstone says was the only man who could help with the interplanetary problems?
(c) Progressive Element.
5. What is in the center of Bragdon Wood?
(a) An old cottage said to once house Merlin.
(b) A very deep and mysterious well.
(c) A fence of stone.
(d) A natural spring of tainted water.
6. What reason does the N.I.C.E. give for the riots happening in Edgestow?
(a) They are being heavily and wrongly persecuted.
(b) St. Anne's is now out of control with their extremism.
(c) They are not at all involved.
(d) They need less beauracracy in the case of a real emergency.
7. Why can't the leader of St. Anne's stand to greet Jane?
(a) He is bound to a wheel-chair.
(b) He is too weary.
(c) He feels it rude to mark a presence in that way.
(d) His foot is wounded.
8. What is Bracton College being forced to do after they have already sold off Bragdon Wood?
(a) Sell out to the N.I.C.E.
(b) Hold a funeral proceeding for Mr. Hingest.
(c) Redirect the Wynd River.
(d) Give over half of their staff to aid the progression of the N.I.C.E.
9. What does Lord Feverstone tell Mark that he will lose if he turns down the position at the N.I.C.E.?
(a) His marriage.
(b) His fellowship at the college.
(c) His comfortable salary.
(d) His respect in the scientific community.
10. Who does the N.I.C.E. appoint as their new emergency governor?
(a) Mr. Wither.
(b) The Head.
(d) Lord Feverstone.
11. How does Jane escape the riot on the street?
(a) She buys her way to freedom.
(b) The mob gets too out of hand for the officer to keep a hold of her.
(c) She gives the Fairy the information she wanted.
(d) She tells them she is Mark's wife, and they let her go.
12. What does Feverstone reveal as the main mission of the N.I.C.E.?
(a) To tear down the college.
(b) To overthrow the government and replace it with new and fresh ideas.
(c) To remake the human race.
(d) To make a safe haven for an upcoming war.
13. Why is Mrs. Dimble at Jane's house while Mark is away?
(a) Dr. Dimble has been called away, and she fears being alone.
(b) She is worried about Jane and her dreams.
(c) The N.I.C.E. has a wrecking crew at their house already.
(d) She feels sorry for Jane's loneliness while Mark is away on business.
14. What happened to the only person to ever leave the N.I.C.E.?
(a) He was murdered.
(b) He killed himself.
(c) He was never heard from again.
(d) He was shunned.
15. Why is Jane not frightened of the dream she has of the dead man in the dark?
(a) She knows the man.
(b) She has gotten used to the dreams.
(c) He was already dead and could not harm her.
(d) She is aware that she is dreaming.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does a lifetime membership in the N.I.C.E. cost?
2. What happened to the prisoner Alcasan?
3. Who spends the night with Jane after her trip to St. Anne's?
4. What does the Fairy tell Mark to do about Mr. Steele's negativity?
5. What is Mark's first impression of Miss Hardcastle?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)