|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jane not frightened of the dream she has of the dead man in the dark?
(a) He was already dead and could not harm her.
(b) She has gotten used to the dreams.
(c) She is aware that she is dreaming.
(d) She knows the man.
2. What is Jane doing when Mark comes home from his late meeting?
3. What catches the Fairy's attention about Jane when she meets Jane during the riot on the street?
(a) She speaks of her visions.
(b) Her familiar face.
(c) Her last name.
(d) She mentions St. Anne's.
4. What does Lord Feverstone tell Mark that he will lose if he turns down the position at the N.I.C.E.?
(a) His fellowship at the college.
(b) His comfortable salary.
(c) His marriage.
(d) His respect in the scientific community.
5. How does Jane feel when she decides to go see Mrs. Ironwood after speaking with the Dimbles about her disturbing dreams?
(a) She feels like a fool.
(b) She feels comforted.
(c) She feels scared.
(d) She feels angry.
6. What is the draw for Bracton to sell Bragdon Wood to N.I.C.E.?
(a) This sale will keep the college from going bankrupt.
(b) They want to have closer contact with an agency that they don't trust.
(c) They hope to become an academic hub and to provide jobs for people in Edestow.
(d) They expect to be highly compensated for the piece of land and will be able to employ more teachers.
7. Whom does Jane have a recurring dream of without knowing who he is?
(a) Mr. Frost.
(b) Mr. Steele.
(c) Mr. Ransom.
(d) Mr. Wither.
8. What did the man that Jane sees in the newspaper do to be imprisoned?
(a) Robbed a bank.
(b) Withheld information from the N.I.C.E.
(c) Trespassed in Bragdon Wood.
(d) Murdered his wife.
9. What is Jane suffering from at night?
(a) Horrible dreams.
(c) Terrible headaches.
10. What job does the Fairy give Mark as his first duty?
(a) Researching under Mr. Steele.
(b) Writing press releases.
(c) Recording the progress of Mr. Wither's research.
(d) Studying the effectiveness of torture methods.
11. What does Mark admire about Jane the morning after she was so frightened and he ignored her to get some sleep after his dinner party?
(a) Her voice.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her mind.
(d) Her spirit.
12. Where does Jane call home after her experience at the riot?
(a) The Dimble's homes.
(b) Her and Mark's humble home.
(c) The N.I.C.E. headquarters.
(d) St. Anne's.
13. Why do the Dennistons want Jane in their group?
(a) She has a wide circle of influence.
(b) They know her husband is now a part of the N.I.C.E.
(c) She has the gift of visions.
(d) They respect the recommendation of the Dimbles.
14. Who does Professor Filostrato warn Mark to not make an enemy of?
(a) Mr. Ransom.
(b) Lord Feverstone.
(c) Mr. Steele.
(d) The Fairy.
15. Why does Mr. Wither take Mark on in a probationary position instead of the original position offered him?
(a) He did not think Mark really wanted the position.
(b) He has heard some nasty rumors about Mark's disloyalty.
(c) All new employees have to endure a short probation when they begin.
(d) Mark's wife has been seen at St. Anne's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the N.I.C.E. appoint as their new emergency governor?
2. How long have the Studdocks been married?
3. Who were the first people to the scene of Mr. Hingest's death?
4. How much does a lifetime membership in the N.I.C.E. cost?
5. What title does Mark give himself at work?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)