|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bertie distressed about Pauline?
2. Where has Bertie chosen to dine in Chapter 4?
3. What does Bertie not allow the police to do?
4. What has Pauline taken with her for her journey home?
5. How does Bertie describe the kiss he gave Pauline?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Chuffy? Where does Bertie meet Chuffy in Chapter 2?
2. Where does Bertie live after leaving his flat?
3. What does Bertie speak to Jeeves about in Chapter 5?
4. In Chapter 6, how does Bertie respond when Chuffy accuses him of kissing Pauline?
5. What plan does Bertie come up with to force Chuffy to admit his feelings for Pauline?
6. Why is Chuffy brought to Bertie's shed in Chapter 9?
7. Who does Bertie kiss Pauline in front of?
8. Who shows up at Bertie door in Chapter 8?
9. Who does Bertie find he will be dining with at lunch in Chapter 3? Who does Bertie discover is engaged?
10. When Bertie returns home from dinner at the end of Chapter 6, what does he discover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Wodehouse's use of the plot device deus ex machina. Which stories contain this technique? Why might Wodehouse have used this technique? How does this plot device affect the tone and pace of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of deception. Who deceives who and why? What tone are these deceptions written in?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tone of the novel. Is it written in a light-hearted and comedic tone? Is it written in a suspenseful and dark tone? Why might Wodehouse have written the novel in this tone?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)