Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Chuffy about to have lunch with?
2. What is Pauline wearing when Bertie finds her after returning from dinner in Chapter 6?
3. Who is Bertie's downstairs neighbor?
4. Where does Bertie learn Jeeves has found employment?
5. What does Chuffy ask Bertie in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jeeves tell Bertie he can sleep in Chapter 16, and what does he promise to do?
2. How did Pauline get into Bertie's cottage? Who helped her?
3. Why does Jeeves give Bertie his notice of resignation?
4. Where did Mr. Stoker end up finding his daughter on the night she slipped off the yacht?
5. Why does Pauline become angry in Chapter 9?
6. Why does Mr. Stoker cancel his deal to purchase Chuffnell Hall?
7. In Chapter 3, what purchase does Chuffy hope Mr. Stoker will make?
8. What do Bertie, Pauline and Chuffy discuss in the office in Chapter 19?
9. What does Sir Roderick ask Bertie to stop doing in Chapter 1 and why?
10. Why is the constable waiting for Chuffy in Chapter 21?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Wodehouse's use of the plot device deus ex machina. Which stories contain this technique? Why might Wodehouse have used this technique? How does this plot device affect the tone and pace of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the secondary characters in the novel. What are some similarities and differences amongst the characters? Does Wodehouse pay particular attention to the secondary characters? If so, which ones and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of deception. Who deceives who and why? What tone are these deceptions written in?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)