|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pauline's surname?
2. Who is Bertie's downstairs neighbor?
3. How does Bertie describe the kiss he gave Pauline?
4. Who does Mr. Stoker argue with before leaving in Chapter 6?
5. Where is Pauline's family from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Bertie find he will be dining with at lunch in Chapter 3? Who does Bertie discover is engaged?
2. What does Jeeves tell Bertie he will not be able to provide at the end of Chapter 15?
3. What troubles Bertie in Chapter 1 of "Thank You, Jeeves"?
4. Why does Mr. Stoker want Pauline and Bertie to marry in Chapter 12?
5. Where does Jeeves tell Bertie he can sleep in Chapter 16, and what does he promise to do?
6. Why does Bertie set about sneaking out of his cottage in Chapter 13?
7. What decision does Bertie come to at the end of the novel regarding his banjolele hobby?
8. Why is the constable waiting for Chuffy in Chapter 21?
9. What state does Bertie find Brinkley in when he returns home in Chapter 13?
10. How does Mr. Stoker react to Pauline and Chuffy's announcement that they intend to marry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss humor in "Thank You, Jeeves". How is humor used? What types of comedy are present? Does Wodehouse approach all of his work in the same humorous manner?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Wodehouse's use of the plot device deus ex machina. Which stories contain this technique? Why might Wodehouse have used this technique? How does this plot device affect the tone and pace of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of loyalty in the novel "Thank You, Jeeves". How does Jeeves show his loyalty to Wooster? How does Wooster show his loyalty to Jeeves and his friends and family? Why are they loyal to one another?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)