|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before her adoption, how is the girl Rayzl related to her adopted father?
2. What does The Man from Buenos Aires hope to find in his hometown?
3. How is Moshke alerted when his store burns down?
4. How much the narrator pay for the dowry of the girl as fiduciary in Fated for Misfortune.
5. What relief fund does Yoyl have to contribute to when he loses a bet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Motek learn from his succession of low paying difficult jobs?
2. How did Eisik die in The Automatic Exemption?
3. What does the Jewish holiday of Sukkos celebrate?
4. What reasons does Moshke give for needing money?
5. How did Paysi's father die?
6. As mentioned in the Slowpoke Express, what does the narrator consider a fact?
7. How does the Diamond Dealer describe the thief?
8. What type of relationship does Yoyl have with his neighbor Kompanyevitch?
9. What does the 60-year-old man do to giveaway his skill at cards?
10. Describe the appearance of Danielchik.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How can the plot of Tevye and his family be seen as a paradigm of the fate of the Russian Jewry around the turn of the century?
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem draw attention to the generation gap between youth and their parents in this book, and what developments in the plot arise from the misunderstandings between generations?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of setting within "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of the themes and characters.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)