|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Moshke had insurance before the place burned down?
2. Where is the setting of Hard Luck?
3. How many Jews are admitted into the high school in High School?
4. Where is the Russian priest from in The Miracle of Hoshana Rabbah?
5. What language does Paysi learn as a youth in addition to his own?
Essay Topic 1
In "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", much focus is given to the issues of right versus wrong. Using specific characters and situations, discuss how Aleichem highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of right versus wrong relates to being piously religious or irreligious.
Essay Topic 2
How is God portrayed in this book, specifically, and how is the relationship between God and man elucidated through the character of Tevye?
Essay Topic 3
How can the plot of Tevye and his family be seen as a paradigm of the fate of the Russian Jewry around the turn of the century?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)