|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the names that the priest mistakes for Berko's name for in The Miracle of Hoshanah Rabbah?
2. Why does Berko think the train stopped?
3. Why does the thief claim to have no luck?
4. How many Jews are admitted into the high school in High School?
5. Where is the Russian priest from in The Miracle of Hoshana Rabbah?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rayzl's birth mother die?
2. What do the pogrom rioters find when they arrive at Heysen?
3. What type of relationship does Yoyl have with his neighbor Kompanyevitch?
4. How does the narrator of High School describe his wife?
5. Why does Moyshe-Nachman have to support Dovid's family in Go Climb a Tree?
6. What does Motek learn from his succession of low paying difficult jobs?
7. How does Motek describe his line of work?
8. Describe the appearance of Yoyl Tashker.
9. As mentioned in the Slowpoke Express, what does the narrator consider a fact?
10. What reasons does Moshke give for needing money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the relationship between Jews and Christians described in the book, and what theme arrives from the comparison of the two different religions?
Essay Topic 2
Aleichem utilizes the literary tool of irony extensively throughout "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Using at least three textual examples, describe how Aleichem utilized irony to establish themes, strengthen characterizations and add humor.
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem utilize the literary technique of periphrasis throughout the novel to create believable narrators? How does this inclusion of periphrasis affect the pacing and tone of the stories?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)