|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Man from Buenos Aires run away from home at a young age?
2. Why should Itsik have an automatic exemption from the draft?
3. How do most people prepare for the pogrom?
4. How many partners does the Man from Buenos Aires have?
5. What was the name of Rayzl's birth mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Jewish holiday of Sukkos celebrate?
2. Describe the appearance of Danielchik.
3. What does the 60-year-old man do to giveaway his skill at cards?
4. What reasons does Moshke give for needing money?
5. Describe the appearance of Motek.
6. How does the narrator of High School describe his wife?
7. What type of relationship does Yoyl have with his neighbor Kompanyevitch?
8. What do the pogrom rioters find when they arrive at Heysen?
9. Describe the appearance of Yoyl Tashker.
10. How does Motek describe his line of work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aleichem utilizes the literary tool of irony extensively throughout "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Using at least three textual examples, describe how Aleichem utilized irony to establish themes, strengthen characterizations and add humor.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of setting within "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of the themes and characters.
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem use the literary tool of dialogue to introduce new characters and establish themes? Is he effective in its use, why or why not?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)