|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What convinces the Jews of Bohopoli to become "poliakovs" or people work for the railroad?
2. What does the Man from Buenos Aires show the narrator to prove his wealth?
3. What relief fund does Yoyl have to contribute to when he loses a bet?
4. Which is NOT one of the towns connected by the Slowpoke Express?
5. What type of coat does the narrator wear in High School?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the locomotive arrive with no train attached to it in The Wedding That Came Without Its Band?
2. How does Motek describe his line of work?
3. What do the pogrom rioters find when they arrive at Heysen?
4. Why does Moyshe-Nachman have to support Dovid's family in Go Climb a Tree?
5. How did Paysi's father die?
6. How does the Diamond Dealer describe the thief?
7. How does the narrator of High School describe his wife?
8. What type of relationship does Yoyl have with his neighbor Kompanyevitch?
9. As mentioned in the Slowpoke Express, what does the narrator consider a fact?
10. What does Motek learn from his succession of low paying difficult jobs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem reveal motives of protagonists in his stories? Using at least three different examples, discuss how Aleichem reveals the motives of the narrators and how those motives strengthen the characterizations.
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem depict violence, specifically the pogroms against the Jews, in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", and how does it affect the development of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem depict the social issue of the unfair Russian drafting of Jews in his stories and what stance does Aleichem make about the concept?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)