|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Noyach Tonkonog able to read a telegram about the upcoming pogrom?
2. How does the Diamond dealer regard his ability to sell diamond?
3. How does the Priest treat Berko after the train stops?
4. Where did the train accident happen in The MIracle of Hoshana Rabbah?
5. Where does Aharon's son move so he can attend school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Moyshe-Nachman regard the affair of the arrest of his brother-in-law?
2. Describe the appearance of Danielchik.
3. How do Moshke's neighbors respond when his store burns down a second time?
4. How was Motek able to emigrate to Buenos Aires?
5. How did Paysi's father die?
6. How does Berko celebrate his life after the train incident?
7. Describe the appearance of Yoyl Tashker.
8. How does Moshke like to celebrate?
9. What does the term "meeting the train" mean?
10. As mentioned in the Slowpoke Express, what does the narrator consider a fact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Sholem Aleichem's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure and discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice.
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem draw attention to the generation gap between youth and their parents in this book, and what developments in the plot arise from the misunderstandings between generations?
Essay Topic 3
In "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", much focus is given to the issues of right versus wrong. Using specific characters and situations, discuss how Aleichem highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of right versus wrong relates to being piously religious or irreligious.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)