|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Itsik's deceased brother.
2. How does Aharon's wife react when her son leaves school?
3. What is the name of the person that Moshke has to pay to "keep his mouth shut?"
4. What does Yoyl Tashker do for a living?
5. Which city reports a cholera epidemic in the newspaper in A Game of Sixty-Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Motek able to emigrate to Buenos Aires?
2. Why does Moyshe-Nachman have to support Dovid's family in Go Climb a Tree?
3. What does the 60-year-old man do to giveaway his skill at cards?
4. In The Automatic Exemption, when the father visits lawyers in Yehupetz and explains his predicament to them, why are they unable to give him advice?
5. How does the narrator of High School describe his wife?
6. How does Danielchik treat others as a child?
7. What type of relationship does Yoyl have with his neighbor Kompanyevitch?
8. How does Motek describe his line of work?
9. How did Paysi's father die?
10. What does the term "meeting the train" mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", much focus is given to the issues of right versus wrong. Using specific characters and situations, discuss how Aleichem highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of right versus wrong relates to being piously religious or irreligious.
Essay Topic 2
How is God portrayed in this book, specifically, and how is the relationship between God and man elucidated through the character of Tevye?
Essay Topic 3
How is the relationship between Jews and Christians described in the book, and what theme arrives from the comparison of the two different religions?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)