|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the names that the priest mistakes for Berko's name for in The Miracle of Hoshanah Rabbah?
2. Why does the thief claim to have no luck?
3. What does the priest want to do when he is trapped on the runaway locomotive with Berko?
4. How was Paysi's birth father related to his adopted father?
5. What is the name of Moshke's insurance agent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Moyshe-Nachman regard the affair of the arrest of his brother-in-law?
2. What do the pogrom rioters find when they arrive at Heysen?
3. How does the narrator of High School describe his wife?
4. What does Motek learn from his succession of low paying difficult jobs?
5. How does Moshke like to celebrate?
6. Why does the locomotive arrive with no train attached to it in The Wedding That Came Without Its Band?
7. What does the 60-year-old man do to giveaway his skill at cards?
8. What type of relationship does Yoyl have with his neighbor Kompanyevitch?
9. How did Eisik die in The Automatic Exemption?
10. As mentioned in the Slowpoke Express, what does the narrator consider a fact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem draw attention to the generation gap between youth and their parents in this book, and what developments in the plot arise from the misunderstandings between generations?
Essay Topic 2
How can the plot of Tevye and his family be seen as a paradigm of the fate of the Russian Jewry around the turn of the century?
Essay Topic 3
In "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", much focus is given to the issues of right versus wrong. Using specific characters and situations, discuss how Aleichem highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of right versus wrong relates to being piously religious or irreligious.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)