|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of The Man from Buenos Aires's hometown?
2. What does Berko do for a living?
3. Why is Dovid taken to jail instead of Moyshe-Nachman?
4. How much money does Danielschik request for his ticket to America?
5. Which is NOT one of the names that the priest mistakes for Berko's name for in The Miracle of Hoshanah Rabbah?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Eisik die in The Automatic Exemption?
2. What reasons does Moshke give for needing money?
3. How do Moshke's neighbors respond when his store burns down a second time?
4. What do the pogrom rioters find when they arrive at Heysen?
5. What does Motek learn from his succession of low paying difficult jobs?
6. In The Automatic Exemption, when the father visits lawyers in Yehupetz and explains his predicament to them, why are they unable to give him advice?
7. Why does the 60-year-old man tell the narrator a long story about how someone was tricked out of money playing cards?
8. How does the Diamond Dealer describe the thief?
9. How does Danielchik treat others as a child?
10. Why does Moyshe-Nachman have to support Dovid's family in Go Climb a Tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view utilized by Aleichem in his stories. How does the type of narration and point of view affect the pacing of the plot and engage the reader? Make sure and specific textual examples to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of setting within "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of the themes and characters.
Essay Topic 3
What type of dramatic or narrative structure does Aleichem utilize in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories"? How is this structure unique and how does it contribute to the establishment of themes?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)