|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person that Moshke has to pay to "keep his mouth shut?"
2. What color of ties is Froike-Sheygetz partial to?
3. What does the diamond dealer try to sell to the commercial traveler at the end of the Hard Luck?
4. Why does Berko think the train stopped?
5. What does Yoyl Tashker do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Danielchik treat others as a child?
2. In The Automatic Exemption, when the father visits lawyers in Yehupetz and explains his predicament to them, why are they unable to give him advice?
3. What reasons does Moshke give for needing money?
4. What does the 60-year-old man do to giveaway his skill at cards?
5. Describe the appearance of Danielchik.
6. How was Motek able to emigrate to Buenos Aires?
7. How does the Diamond Dealer describe the thief?
8. What does the Jewish holiday of Sukkos celebrate?
9. Why does the locomotive arrive with no train attached to it in The Wedding That Came Without Its Band?
10. What does Motek learn from his succession of low paying difficult jobs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem draw attention to the generation gap between youth and their parents in this book, and what developments in the plot arise from the misunderstandings between generations?
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem reveal motives of protagonists in his stories? Using at least three different examples, discuss how Aleichem reveals the motives of the narrators and how those motives strengthen the characterizations.
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem depict the social issue of the unfair Russian drafting of Jews in his stories and what stance does Aleichem make about the concept?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)