|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the boy, who Etke reads the book Sanine with?
2. How much money does Yayl have to pay when he loses the bet?
3. How much money does Moshke claim it takes to hire someone to "give the match a scratch?"
4. How many children does Moyshe-Nachman have?
5. What was the name of Rayzl's birth mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Moshke's neighbors respond when his store burns down a second time?
2. What reasons does Moshke give for needing money?
3. How did Rayzl's birth mother die?
4. Describe the appearance of Yoyl Tashker.
5. Why does the locomotive arrive with no train attached to it in The Wedding That Came Without Its Band?
6. How does Moshke like to celebrate?
7. What does the 60-year-old man do to giveaway his skill at cards?
8. How does Danielchik treat others as a child?
9. What does the Jewish holiday of Sukkos celebrate?
10. How does Berko celebrate his life after the train incident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", much focus is given to the issues of right versus wrong. Using specific characters and situations, discuss how Aleichem highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of right versus wrong relates to being piously religious or irreligious.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of setting within "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of the themes and characters.
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem use the literary tool of dialogue to introduce new characters and establish themes? Is he effective in its use, why or why not?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)