|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the boy, who Etke reads the book Sanine with?
2. How is the thief able to take the case from the Diamond Dealer?
3. How do most people prepare for the pogrom?
4. How much money does Danielschik request for his ticket to America?
5. Why was the son exempt from the draft in High School?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Moshke's neighbors respond when his store burns down a second time?
2. How was Motek able to emigrate to Buenos Aires?
3. What do the pogrom rioters find when they arrive at Heysen?
4. In The Automatic Exemption, when the father visits lawyers in Yehupetz and explains his predicament to them, why are they unable to give him advice?
5. Describe the appearance of Danielchik.
6. Why does the 60-year-old man tell the narrator a long story about how someone was tricked out of money playing cards?
7. As mentioned in the Slowpoke Express, what does the narrator consider a fact?
8. Describe the appearance of Yoyl Tashker.
9. How does Berko celebrate his life after the train incident?
10. What does the term "meeting the train" mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem use the literary tool of dialogue to introduce new characters and establish themes? Is he effective in its use, why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of setting within "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of the themes and characters.
Essay Topic 3
What type of dramatic or narrative structure does Aleichem utilize in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories"? How is this structure unique and how does it contribute to the establishment of themes?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)