|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the train accident happen in The MIracle of Hoshana Rabbah?
2. Where is Moyshe-Nachman from?
3. How does the Diamond dealer regard his ability to sell diamond?
4. How much money does Danielschik request so he can buy the beer hall and billiard parlor?
5. What is the name of The Man from Buenos Aires's hometown?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Motek able to emigrate to Buenos Aires?
2. What type of relationship does Yoyl have with his neighbor Kompanyevitch?
3. In The Automatic Exemption, when the father visits lawyers in Yehupetz and explains his predicament to them, why are they unable to give him advice?
4. What do the pogrom rioters find when they arrive at Heysen?
5. What does the 60-year-old man do to giveaway his skill at cards?
6. Why does the locomotive arrive with no train attached to it in The Wedding That Came Without Its Band?
7. How does Motek describe his line of work?
8. How does Berko celebrate his life after the train incident?
9. What does the term "meeting the train" mean?
10. How does the Diamond Dealer describe the thief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem reveal motives of protagonists in his stories? Using at least three different examples, discuss how Aleichem reveals the motives of the narrators and how those motives strengthen the characterizations.
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem depict violence, specifically the pogroms against the Jews, in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", and how does it affect the development of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of setting within "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of the themes and characters.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)