|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the 60-year-old man claim to hate reading the newspaper?
2. How much money does Moshke claim it takes to hire someone to "give the match a scratch?"
3. How does the train eventually stop?
4. What part of the entrance exam does the son initially fail in High School.
5. What was the name of Rayzl's birth mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aharon's son leave the school?
2. How was Motek able to emigrate to Buenos Aires?
3. How does Danielchik treat others as a child?
4. How does the narrator of High School describe his wife?
5. What reasons does Moshke give for needing money?
6. How did Paysi's father die?
7. Why does the 60-year-old man tell the narrator a long story about how someone was tricked out of money playing cards?
8. In The Automatic Exemption, when the father visits lawyers in Yehupetz and explains his predicament to them, why are they unable to give him advice?
9. As mentioned in the Slowpoke Express, what does the narrator consider a fact?
10. What does the 60-year-old man do to giveaway his skill at cards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aleichem utilizes the literary tool of irony extensively throughout "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Using at least three textual examples, describe how Aleichem utilized irony to establish themes, strengthen characterizations and add humor.
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem reveal motives of protagonists in his stories? Using at least three different examples, discuss how Aleichem reveals the motives of the narrators and how those motives strengthen the characterizations.
Essay Topic 3
How is the relationship between Jews and Christians described in the book, and what theme arrives from the comparison of the two different religions?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)