|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Man from Buenos Aires?
2. What is the name of the rich man who dies in Fated for Misfortune?
3. Why did the man in It Doesn't Pay to Be Good adopt two children?
4. What is the name of the town where the Man from Buenos Aires gets a job leading around a blind cantor?
5. Where does Berko go after the train stops?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Moshke's neighbors respond when his store burns down a second time?
2. Why does Moyshe-Nachman have to support Dovid's family in Go Climb a Tree?
3. What does the Jewish holiday of Sukkos celebrate?
4. How did Rayzl's birth mother die?
5. How was Motek able to emigrate to Buenos Aires?
6. How does Motek describe his line of work?
7. How does the Diamond Dealer describe the thief?
8. What type of relationship does Yoyl have with his neighbor Kompanyevitch?
9. What does the 60-year-old man do to giveaway his skill at cards?
10. How does Berko celebrate his life after the train incident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view utilized by Aleichem in his stories. How does the type of narration and point of view affect the pacing of the plot and engage the reader? Make sure and specific textual examples to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem use the literary tool of dialogue to introduce new characters and establish themes? Is he effective in its use, why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem reveal motives of protagonists in his stories? Using at least three different examples, discuss how Aleichem reveals the motives of the narrators and how those motives strengthen the characterizations.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)