|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Man from Buenos Aires first emigrated to Buenos Aires what job does he take in the countryside?
2. What is the name of Moshke's insurance agent?
3. What is the name of the rich man who dies in Fated for Misfortune?
4. How was Paysi's birth father related to his adopted father?
5. Where is Moyshe-Nachman from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the locomotive arrive with no train attached to it in The Wedding That Came Without Its Band?
2. What reasons does Moshke give for needing money?
3. How did Eisik die in The Automatic Exemption?
4. How does Moyshe-Nachman regard the affair of the arrest of his brother-in-law?
5. Why does Aharon's son leave the school?
6. Describe the appearance of Yoyl Tashker.
7. How does Berko celebrate his life after the train incident?
8. How does Moshke like to celebrate?
9. How do Moshke's neighbors respond when his store burns down a second time?
10. What does Motek learn from his succession of low paying difficult jobs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", much focus is given to the issues of right versus wrong. Using specific characters and situations, discuss how Aleichem highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of right versus wrong relates to being piously religious or irreligious.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of setting within "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of the themes and characters.
Essay Topic 3
What type of dramatic or narrative structure does Aleichem utilize in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories"? How is this structure unique and how does it contribute to the establishment of themes?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)