|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Priest go after the train stopped?
2. Why is Dovid taken to jail instead of Moyshe-Nachman?
3. What does Berko do for a living?
4. What is the name of the rich man who dies in Fated for Misfortune?
5. What does The Man from Buenos Aires hope to find in his hometown?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Motek describe his line of work?
2. Why does the 60-year-old man tell the narrator a long story about how someone was tricked out of money playing cards?
3. How does Danielchik treat others as a child?
4. Describe the appearance of Yoyl Tashker.
5. How do Moshke's neighbors respond when his store burns down a second time?
6. What do the pogrom rioters find when they arrive at Heysen?
7. What does the Jewish holiday of Sukkos celebrate?
8. In The Automatic Exemption, when the father visits lawyers in Yehupetz and explains his predicament to them, why are they unable to give him advice?
9. What does the 60-year-old man do to giveaway his skill at cards?
10. How did Eisik die in The Automatic Exemption?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view utilized by Aleichem in his stories. How does the type of narration and point of view affect the pacing of the plot and engage the reader? Make sure and specific textual examples to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
What type of dramatic or narrative structure does Aleichem utilize in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories"? How is this structure unique and how does it contribute to the establishment of themes?
Essay Topic 3
How can the character of Tevye be seen as an permutation of the biblical character of Job and how has Aleichem fostered this comparison through Tevye's experiences and outlook?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)