|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Man from Buenos Aires first emigrated to Buenos Aires what job does he take in the countryside?
2. How did Etke die?
3. What was the name of Itsik's deceased brother.
4. How much money does Danielschik request so he can buy the beer hall and billiard parlor?
5. What does the son score lowly on the second time he takes the exams in High School?
Short Essay Questions
1. In The Automatic Exemption, when the father visits lawyers in Yehupetz and explains his predicament to them, why are they unable to give him advice?
2. How does Berko celebrate his life after the train incident?
3. What does Motek learn from his succession of low paying difficult jobs?
4. What does the 60-year-old man do to giveaway his skill at cards?
5. As mentioned in the Slowpoke Express, what does the narrator consider a fact?
6. What type of relationship does Yoyl have with his neighbor Kompanyevitch?
7. What do the pogrom rioters find when they arrive at Heysen?
8. How does Moyshe-Nachman regard the affair of the arrest of his brother-in-law?
9. Why does Moyshe-Nachman have to support Dovid's family in Go Climb a Tree?
10. Why does Aharon's son leave the school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem use the literary tool of dialogue to introduce new characters and establish themes? Is he effective in its use, why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem utilize the literary technique of periphrasis throughout the novel to create believable narrators? How does this inclusion of periphrasis affect the pacing and tone of the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of setting within "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of the themes and characters.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)