|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the rich man who dies in Fated for Misfortune?
2. Where does Moshke claim to be when his store burns down?
3. How do the gossips explain the death of Yoyl Tashker's wife?
4. Why should Itsik have an automatic exemption from the draft?
5. What is the name of the town where the Man from Buenos Aires gets a job leading around a blind cantor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Moyshe-Nachman have to support Dovid's family in Go Climb a Tree?
2. Why does the locomotive arrive with no train attached to it in The Wedding That Came Without Its Band?
3. How did Eisik die in The Automatic Exemption?
4. How does Danielchik treat others as a child?
5. How does Moshke like to celebrate?
6. How do Moshke's neighbors respond when his store burns down a second time?
7. How did Paysi's father die?
8. How does Berko celebrate his life after the train incident?
9. What reasons does Moshke give for needing money?
10. What type of relationship does Yoyl have with his neighbor Kompanyevitch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem utilize the literary technique of periphrasis throughout the novel to create believable narrators? How does this inclusion of periphrasis affect the pacing and tone of the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view utilized by Aleichem in his stories. How does the type of narration and point of view affect the pacing of the plot and engage the reader? Make sure and specific textual examples to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem use the literary tool of dialogue to introduce new characters and establish themes? Is he effective in its use, why or why not?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)