|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aharon's business fall apart?
2. How many partners does the Man from Buenos Aires have?
3. What is the name of the boy, who Etke reads the book Sanine with?
4. What does the narrator and the Man from Buenos Aires drink for lunch?
5. What type of coat does the narrator wear in High School?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aharon's son leave the school?
2. How did Rayzl's birth mother die?
3. How did Eisik die in The Automatic Exemption?
4. What does Motek learn from his succession of low paying difficult jobs?
5. What does the 60-year-old man do to giveaway his skill at cards?
6. Describe the appearance of Motek.
7. How does Moshke like to celebrate?
8. How was Motek able to emigrate to Buenos Aires?
9. What do the pogrom rioters find when they arrive at Heysen?
10. How do Moshke's neighbors respond when his store burns down a second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of greed displayed in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories"? Use at least three textual examples to show what commentary Aleichem is making about this theme.
Essay Topic 2
What is Sholem Aleichem's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure and discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view utilized by Aleichem in his stories. How does the type of narration and point of view affect the pacing of the plot and engage the reader? Make sure and specific textual examples to support your assertions.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)