|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the boy, who Etke reads the book Sanine with?
2. How does Aharon's wife react when her son leaves school?
3. In The Automatic Exemption where does the tall bearded Jew currently reside?
4. How many partners does the Man from Buenos Aires have?
5. What is the name of the rich man who dies in Fated for Misfortune?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of Motek.
2. How was Motek able to emigrate to Buenos Aires?
3. How does Danielchik treat others as a child?
4. As mentioned in the Slowpoke Express, what does the narrator consider a fact?
5. Describe the appearance of Danielchik.
6. What does the 60-year-old man do to giveaway his skill at cards?
7. What reasons does Moshke give for needing money?
8. How did Paysi's father die?
9. What does Motek learn from his succession of low paying difficult jobs?
10. How does Motek describe his line of work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aleichem utilizes the literary tool of irony extensively throughout "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Using at least three textual examples, describe how Aleichem utilized irony to establish themes, strengthen characterizations and add humor.
Essay Topic 2
In "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", much focus is given to the issues of right versus wrong. Using specific characters and situations, discuss how Aleichem highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of right versus wrong relates to being piously religious or irreligious.
Essay Topic 3
What is Sholem Aleichem's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure and discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)