|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Man from Buenos Aires run away from home at a young age?
2. How do most people prepare for the pogrom?
3. What does Dovid do for a living for Brodky?
4. How much money does Danielschik request so he can buy the beer hall and billiard parlor?
5. What does Yoyl Tashker do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Moyshe-Nachman have to support Dovid's family in Go Climb a Tree?
2. How does the narrator of High School describe his wife?
3. What does Motek learn from his succession of low paying difficult jobs?
4. How was Motek able to emigrate to Buenos Aires?
5. What type of relationship does Yoyl have with his neighbor Kompanyevitch?
6. How did Eisik die in The Automatic Exemption?
7. In The Automatic Exemption, when the father visits lawyers in Yehupetz and explains his predicament to them, why are they unable to give him advice?
8. What does the Jewish holiday of Sukkos celebrate?
9. Why does the 60-year-old man tell the narrator a long story about how someone was tricked out of money playing cards?
10. How does Berko celebrate his life after the train incident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem establish the theme of fate in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", and how does concept of fate differ between different characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of setting within "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of the themes and characters.
Essay Topic 3
How does Aleichem depict violence, specifically the pogroms against the Jews, in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories", and how does it affect the development of the plot?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)