|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Berko do for a living?
2. How is Noyach Tonkonog able to read a telegram about the upcoming pogrom?
3. Where did the train accident happen in The MIracle of Hoshana Rabbah?
4. Why is Dovid taken to jail instead of Moyshe-Nachman?
5. Why does Aharon's son get rid of his school hat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the term "meeting the train" mean?
2. As mentioned in the Slowpoke Express, what does the narrator consider a fact?
3. What does the Jewish holiday of Sukkos celebrate?
4. What type of relationship does Yoyl have with his neighbor Kompanyevitch?
5. How do Moshke's neighbors respond when his store burns down a second time?
6. How does the Diamond Dealer describe the thief?
7. What reasons does Moshke give for needing money?
8. How did Paysi's father die?
9. How does Moshke like to celebrate?
10. How does Danielchik treat others as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem reveal motives of protagonists in his stories? Using at least three different examples, discuss how Aleichem reveals the motives of the narrators and how those motives strengthen the characterizations.
Essay Topic 2
How is God portrayed in this book, specifically, and how is the relationship between God and man elucidated through the character of Tevye?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of greed displayed in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories"? Use at least three textual examples to show what commentary Aleichem is making about this theme.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)