|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is NOT one of professions that Danielschik attempts to apprentice for?
2. Where does Berko go after the train stops?
3. What does the son score lowly on the second time he takes the exams in High School?
4. Why does the thief claim to have no luck?
5. Why won't Yoyl terminate Kompanyevitch's lease even though he greatly dislikes him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aharon's son leave the school?
2. How did Paysi's father die?
3. What does Motek learn from his succession of low paying difficult jobs?
4. Why does Moyshe-Nachman have to support Dovid's family in Go Climb a Tree?
5. What type of relationship does Yoyl have with his neighbor Kompanyevitch?
6. Describe the appearance of Yoyl Tashker.
7. How does Motek describe his line of work?
8. Why does the 60-year-old man tell the narrator a long story about how someone was tricked out of money playing cards?
9. How does the Diamond Dealer describe the thief?
10. How does Moyshe-Nachman regard the affair of the arrest of his brother-in-law?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How can the plot of Tevye and his family be seen as a paradigm of the fate of the Russian Jewry around the turn of the century?
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem use the literary tool of dialogue to introduce new characters and establish themes? Is he effective in its use, why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is the relationship between Jews and Christians described in the book, and what theme arrives from the comparison of the two different religions?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)