|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Man from Buenos Aires run away from home at a young age?
2. Why does the 60-year-old man claim to hate reading the newspaper?
3. What does the narrator and the Man from Buenos Aires drink for lunch?
4. What color of ties is Froike-Sheygetz partial to?
5. What was the name of Itsik's deceased brother.
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem establish money as a literary symbol in "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories" and what abstract meanings are represented by it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view utilized by Aleichem in his stories. How does the type of narration and point of view affect the pacing of the plot and engage the reader? Make sure and specific textual examples to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Aleichem utilizes the literary tool of irony extensively throughout "Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories". Using at least three textual examples, describe how Aleichem utilized irony to establish themes, strengthen characterizations and add humor.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)