|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Man from Buenos Aires run away from home at a young age?
2. How is the thief able to take the case from the Diamond Dealer?
3. Where are the Cossack in The Wedding That Came Without Its Band from?
4. What convinces the Jews of Bohopoli to become "poliakovs" or people work for the railroad?
5. How does the Priest treat Berko after the train stops?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Motek able to emigrate to Buenos Aires?
2. Why does Moyshe-Nachman have to support Dovid's family in Go Climb a Tree?
3. How does Moshke like to celebrate?
4. What reasons does Moshke give for needing money?
5. How does the narrator of High School describe his wife?
6. Why does the 60-year-old man tell the narrator a long story about how someone was tricked out of money playing cards?
7. What does the Jewish holiday of Sukkos celebrate?
8. In The Automatic Exemption, when the father visits lawyers in Yehupetz and explains his predicament to them, why are they unable to give him advice?
9. Why does Aharon's son leave the school?
10. How did Eisik die in The Automatic Exemption?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aleichem utilize the literary technique of periphrasis throughout the novel to create believable narrators? How does this inclusion of periphrasis affect the pacing and tone of the stories?
Essay Topic 2
How does Aleichem draw attention to the generation gap between youth and their parents in this book, and what developments in the plot arise from the misunderstandings between generations?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view utilized by Aleichem in his stories. How does the type of narration and point of view affect the pacing of the plot and engage the reader? Make sure and specific textual examples to support your assertions.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)