|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the man in It Doesn't Pay to Be Good adopt two children?
(a) Because he thought they resembled him.
(b) Because he is childless.
(c) Because there was a tax break for adopting them.
(d) Because he had an omen that he should adopt them.
2. What is the name of the rich man who dies in Fated for Misfortune?
3. How much money does Moshke claim it takes to hire someone to "give the match a scratch?"
(a) 300 rubles.
(b) 10 rubles.
(c) 50 rubles.
(d) 3 rubles.
4. How is Moshke alerted when his store burns down?
(a) A neighbor comes and finds him.
(b) He arrives home and sees the flames.
(c) His wife runs to tell him.
(d) He is given a telegram.
5. Why does Berko think the train stopped?
(a) He was fated to live another year.
(b) He thinks the power of the Priest's faith stopped it.
(c) He thinks it was purely due to his own genius.
(d) He assumes it was just a coincidence.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do most people prepare for the pogrom?
2. How many Jews are admitted into the high school in High School?
3. What color of ties is Froike-Sheygetz partial to?
4. What does the Man from Buenos Aires show the narrator to prove his wealth?
5. Why does Aharon's business fall apart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the pogrom rioters find when they arrive at Heysen?
2. As mentioned in the Slowpoke Express, what does the narrator consider a fact?
3. How did Paysi's father die?
4. Why does Aharon's son leave the school?
5. What type of relationship does Yoyl have with his neighbor Kompanyevitch?
6. Describe the appearance of Yoyl Tashker.
7. What reasons does Moshke give for needing money?
8. How does Motek describe his line of work?
9. How does Moshke like to celebrate?
10. How was Motek able to emigrate to Buenos Aires?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)