|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tevye think that Podhotzur has summoned him to his house after his marriage to Beilke?
(a) He thinks Podhotzur wants to give him a gift.
(b) He thinks Podhotzur wants to send him abroad.
(c) He thinks Podhotzur will offer him a job.
(d) He thinks Podhotzur will ask him to move in.
2. What does Shprintze ultimately do after she is heartbroken by Ahronchik?
(a) She decides to remain at home forever, helping her parents.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) She marries another man, whom she does not love.
(d) She falls in love with another man.
3. Who wrote a letter for the happy man from Kodny to take to the professor?
(a) His wife.
(b) The wealthy manor owners.
(c) His rabbi.
(d) His son.
4. After losing his fortune, what is Tevye's hope for the future?
(a) He has no hope to ever become wealthy.
(b) He still hopes for better times and to become rich.
(c) He completely foreswares money and doesn't think about it anymore.
(d) He hopes to have his fund reinstated and continue in his exact station.
5. According to Tevye, what is a "dog's age ago"?
(a) 9-10 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 10-15 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the saleswoman to sit down on her basket and cry into her shawl?
2. When Tevye meets the two women in the forest, which is not one of the things he offers to sell them?
3. What is the man from Lower Pereshchepena wearing?
4. Where did the happy man from Kodny get his rubles to offer the professor?
5. Who does Tevye blame primarily for the loss of his small fortune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What good deeds do the manor owners of Kodny do for the poor?
2. Why does Tevye like Pertchik?
3. How does Golde regard Menachem?
4. How doe Tevye and Menachem spend their evening together?
5. What are the ailments of the happy man from Kodny's son?
6. When Tevye first learns of Chava's engagement, what does he do to take out his frustration?
7. How does Tsaytl feel about the marrying Layzar?
8. Why does Tevye give Pertchik the nickname of Peppercorn?
9. How does the narrator describe the appearance of the man and woman salespeople he encounters on the train in Competitors?
10. What does Kivke threaten to do to Nissl Shapiro if he does not give him the 1000 rubles he requests?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)