|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does the man from Kodny offer the professor to see his son?
(a) 25 rubles.
(b) 10 rubles.
(c) 32 rubles.
(d) 300 rubles.
2. Why does Tevye end up staying in Russia instead of going to the Holy Land?
(a) Motl dies and he stays to help Tsaytl.
(b) He becomes to sick to board the ship.
(c) He receives a note from Beilke asking him not to go.
(d) He finds he does not have paper needed to travel abroad.
3. On what holiday does Hodl tell her father she is going away?
(a) High Holy Days.
(c) Hoshana Rabbah.
(d) Rosh Hoshanah.
4. Who wrote a letter for the happy man from Kodny to take to the professor?
(a) His rabbi.
(b) His son.
(c) His wife.
(d) The wealthy manor owners.
5. Where does Hodl go at the end of the chapter Hodl?
(a) She refuses to tell Tevye where she is going.
(b) She goes away to the university.
(c) She moves in with an aunt at Yehuputz.
(d) She goes to join Peppercorn in Siberia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shprintze call Ahronchik?
2. Why does Tevye think that Yankl should be fired as sexton of the Burial Society?
3. How much money does Kivke request from Kaminka for a dowry?
4. What do Tevye and Layzar drink during their meeting in Today's Children?
5. Why is Chava in the priest's custody?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of the man who suggests they "pass the hat around," in the Competitors.
2. How does Tevye convince Golde that Tsaytl should marry Motl instead of Layzar?
3. What does Tevye plan to do when he finds that he is being expelled from the village?
4. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
5. What does Kivke threaten to do to Nissl Shapiro if he does not give him the 1000 rubles he requests?
6. Why does Tevye give Pertchik the nickname of Peppercorn?
7. Describe the table that is set for the two women, when Tevye brings them back to the dacha in Boberick?
8. Describe the appearance of the man from Kaminka in Baranovich Station.
9. What causes the man from Pereshchepena to become irritated with the other two Jews?
10. When Tevye first learns of Chava's engagement, what does he do to take out his frustration?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)