|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests Podhotzur as a spouse for Beilke?
(a) The matchmaker Efrayim.
(b) Motl does, as he is a client of his.
(c) Podhotzur approaches Tevye himself.
(d) Golde does just before she dies.
2. Where doe Beilke and Podhotzur go on their honeymoon?
3. On what holiday does Hodl tell her father she is going away?
(a) Hoshana Rabbah.
(b) Rosh Hoshanah.
(d) High Holy Days.
4. Why does the narrator choose to travel third class?
(a) Because it is not as crowded.
(b) Because it is easier to get a ticket last minute.
(c) Because he likes simple people.
(d) Because he likes saving money.
5. Why does Tevye go to see Layzar Wolf in Today's Children?
(a) It is a social call, as Layzar and Tevye are friends.
(b) He wants to arrange a marriage with Layzar and his daughter.
(c) He thinks Layzar wants to buy his brown cow.
(d) Layzar has ordered some dairy goods from him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tevye returns from his meeting with Layzar, how does Golde initially react?
2. What are the two men discussing in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
3. Which is not one of the towns listed in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
4. Why does Tevye end up staying in Russia instead of going to the Holy Land?
5. What service does Peppercorn give to Tevye in exchange for a hot meal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the man from Pereshchepena to become irritated with the other two Jews?
2. Why does Ahronchik's brother offer Tevye money to Shprintze?
3. What type of welcome does Tevye receive when he goes to visit Beilke and Podhotzur after they return from their honeymoon?
4. Why does Tevye like Pertchik?
5. Describe the table that is set for the two women, when Tevye brings them back to the dacha in Boberick?
6. How does Tevye react when he finds that Mendl has lost all of his money?
7. How does Tsaytl feel about the marrying Layzar?
8. Describe the appearance of Ahronchik.
9. When Tevye first learns of Chava's engagement, what does he do to take out his frustration?
10. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)