|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tevye do when he meets Chava in the forest after her marriage?
(a) He forgives her, but tells her she is unwelcome at home.
(b) He refuses to speak to her and leaves the scene.
(c) He listens to her, but refuses to forgive her.
(d) He gives her some money as a wedding gift.
2. After the conversation with the other two Jews, what does the man from Pereshchepena do?
(a) He eats his breakfast.
(b) He goes back to sleep.
(c) He reads his prayer book.
(d) He smokes a cigarette.
3. How much money does Kivke request from Kaminka for a dowry?
(a) 200 rubles.
(b) 400 rubles.
(c) 100 rubles.
(d) 1000 rubles.
4. How does Beilke react when Tevye tells her that he is leaving for Palestine?
(a) She weeps and cannot be comforted.
(b) She is happy for Tevye and congratulates him.
(c) She is indifferent to his announcement.
(d) She is angry and yells at Tevye.
5. What request does Tevye make from Pan Sholem Aleichem at the end of Tevye Strikes It Rich?
(a) He asks not to be included in one of his books.
(b) He asks for his story to be shared with his wife.
(c) He asks for Pan Sholem to send news of his health.
(d) He asks for Pan Sholem to bring him a gift.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Tevye get paid to drag logs from the forest to the train station every day?
2. What does Tevye take with him when he goes to Yehupetz to look for Mendl?
3. Where did the happy man from Kodny get his rubles to offer the professor?
4. Why does Tevye think that Podhotzur has summoned him to his house after his marriage to Beilke?
5. What is Peppercorn studying for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ahronchik's brother offer Tevye money to Shprintze?
2. How does the mourning father convince the reluctant Jew to be the tenth man for their prayer group?
3. How does the narrator of Third Class describe the atmosphere of first class?
4. How do Moshke's neighbors respond when his store burns down a second time?
5. Describe the appearance of the reluctant Jew in The Tenth Man?
6. How does Motek describe his line of work?
7. How does the rich Jew respond when Tevye requests three rubles as a reward for bringing the two women in from the forest?
8. How does the Diamond Dealer describe the thief?
9. How does the narrator describe the appearance of the man and woman salespeople he encounters on the train in Competitors?
10. Describe the appearance of the man from Kaminka in Baranovich Station.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)