|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests Podhotzur as a spouse for Beilke?
(a) Golde does just before she dies.
(b) Motl does, as he is a client of his.
(c) The matchmaker Efrayim.
(d) Podhotzur approaches Tevye himself.
2. What relationship do the saleswoman and the salesman on the train have in the Competitors?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are neighbors.
(c) They are married.
(d) They are brother and sister.
3. Which is not one of the items mentioned as wares of the salespeople in The Competitors?
(a) Hard-boiled eggs.
(b) Dried figs.
(d) Black cherries.
4. What is the name of the coachman who took Kivke to Germany?
5. Why does Tevye's wagon run into a tree on the way to Yehpuetz in Tevye Blows a Small Fortune?
(a) His horse smells something and darts after it.
(b) He falls asleep driving.
(c) A rodent crosses the road and frightens his horse.
(d) The axel breaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question about Mendle does Tevye ask Golde after he leaves their home?
2. Why does Tevye think that Podhotzur has summoned him to his house after his marriage to Beilke?
3. What happens to Tevye when he stops to pray in the evening after hauling logs all day?
4. What is wrong with Itzikl Borodenko's daughter in The Happiest Man in All Kodny?
5. Who takes care of Tevye after his wife, Golde dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Motek learn from his succession of low paying difficult jobs?
2. Why does Moyshe-Nachman have to support Dovid's family in Go Climb a Tree?
3. How doe Tevye and Menachem spend their evening together?
4. What are the ailments of the happy man from Kodny's son?
5. How does the narrator of High School describe his wife?
6. Describe the appearance of Ahronchik.
7. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
8. What good deeds do the manor owners of Kodny do for the poor?
9. What type of welcome does Tevye receive when he goes to visit Beilke and Podhotzur after they return from their honeymoon?
10. Why does Ahronchik's brother offer Tevye money to Shprintze?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)