|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Peppercorn studying for?
(a) He is studying to become a lawyer.
(b) Civil Servant Exams.
(c) He is studying to become a doctor.
(d) University Entrance Exams.
2. Which is not one of the items mentioned as wares of the salespeople in The Competitors?
(b) Hard-boiled eggs.
(c) Dried figs.
(d) Black cherries.
3. How does Beilke react when Tevye tells her that he is leaving for Palestine?
(a) She is happy for Tevye and congratulates him.
(b) She weeps and cannot be comforted.
(c) She is indifferent to his announcement.
(d) She is angry and yells at Tevye.
4. Where did the happy man from Kodny get his rubles to offer the professor?
(a) They are his entire savings.
(b) From his wife.
(c) From his rabbi.
(d) From the wealthy manor owners.
5. What does the long-haired messenger tell Hodl?
(a) He tells her Peppercorn has been injured.
(b) He tells her Peppercorn is in jail.
(c) He tells her Peppercorn has left her for another woman.
(d) He tells her Peppercorn has died.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Tevye related to Menachem Mendl?
2. Who does Golde have a dream about in Tevye Strikes It Rich that foreshadowed the milk cow Tevye was to receive?
3. Why does Tevye's wagon run into a tree on the way to Yehpuetz in Tevye Blows a Small Fortune?
4. What does Shprintze ultimately do after she is heartbroken by Ahronchik?
5. What is the profession of Motl Komzoyl, who Tsaytl want to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of welcome does Tevye receive when he goes to visit Beilke and Podhotzur after they return from their honeymoon?
2. What is the misconception about the topic of conversation in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
3. What causes the man from Pereshchepena to become irritated with the other two Jews?
4. What good deeds do the manor owners of Kodny do for the poor?
5. How does the narrator describe the appearance of the man and woman salespeople he encounters on the train in Competitors?
6. What does Tevye plan to do when he finds that he is being expelled from the village?
7. How do people treat Tevye different when he become rich from his reward from the two rescued women?
8. Describe the appearance of Ahronchik.
9. When Tevye first learns of Chava's engagement, what does he do to take out his frustration?
10. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)