|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tevye go to see Layzar Wolf in Today's Children?
(a) He wants to arrange a marriage with Layzar and his daughter.
(b) It is a social call, as Layzar and Tevye are friends.
(c) He thinks Layzar wants to buy his brown cow.
(d) Layzar has ordered some dairy goods from him.
2. What does Tevye do when he meets Chava in the forest after her marriage?
(a) He refuses to speak to her and leaves the scene.
(b) He gives her some money as a wedding gift.
(c) He forgives her, but tells her she is unwelcome at home.
(d) He listens to her, but refuses to forgive her.
3. What was Kivke sentenced to run the gauntlet?
(a) For arguing religion.
(b) For trying to escape the draft.
(c) For failing to pay his head tax.
(d) For stealing vodka.
4. Of the two salespeople described in Competitors, who has the lowest prices?
(a) Both salespeople charge the exact same prices.
(b) It changes from day to day whose prices are lower.
(c) The woman's prices are always lower.
(d) The man's prices are generally lower.
5. What happens to Tevye the day after his meeting with Layzar that he sees as a bad omen?
(a) He gets the stomach flu.
(b) He injures his hand.
(c) His cow dies.
(d) His cart overturns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the long-haired messenger tell Hodl?
2. What request does Tevye make from Pan Sholem Aleichem at the end of Tevye Strikes It Rich?
3. After losing his fortune, what is Tevye's hope for the future?
4. Who suggests Podhotzur as a spouse for Beilke?
5. Where does Tevye find his horse after he has eaten dinner at the rich man's dacha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What good deeds do the manor owners of Kodny do for the poor?
2. Why does Tevye give Pertchik the nickname of Peppercorn?
3. What are the ailments of the happy man from Kodny's son?
4. What type of welcome does Tevye receive when he goes to visit Beilke and Podhotzur after they return from their honeymoon?
5. Why does Tevye try to avoid having discussions with the town Priest?
6. What is the misconception about the topic of conversation in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
7. Why doesn't Tevye initially want to take the two women he meets into the forest back to Boberick?
8. How does Tsaytl feel about the marrying Layzar?
9. How does the narrator describe the appearance of the man and woman salespeople he encounters on the train in Competitors?
10. Describe the appearance of the man who suggests they "pass the hat around," in the Competitors.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)