|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Beilke and Podhotzur leave for America?
(a) They leave to escape the riots.
(b) They go broke and flee their creditors.
(c) Podhotzur establishes a great business there.
(d) Podhotzur has family there and wants to live in New York.
2. Why does Tevye end up staying in Russia instead of going to the Holy Land?
(a) He finds he does not have paper needed to travel abroad.
(b) Motl dies and he stays to help Tsaytl.
(c) He receives a note from Beilke asking him not to go.
(d) He becomes to sick to board the ship.
3. Why isn't the end of Kivke's story disclosed?
(a) The man did not know the ending.
(b) A unexpected pogrom breaks up the storytelling.
(c) The man telling the story had to catch a train.
(d) Kivke himself appears on the scene and everyone goes quiet.
4. What is the name of the coachman who took Kivke to Germany?
5. What do Tevye and Layzar drink during their meeting in Today's Children?
(d) Only water.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the conversation with the other two Jews, what does the man from Pereshchepena do?
2. Where is Ahronchik and his mother from?
3. What items are Podhotzur's house full of?
4. What is Chvedka's profession?
5. How much money does Kivke request from Kaminka for a dowry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
2. Why does Ahronchik's brother offer Tevye money to Shprintze?
3. Why does Tevye try to avoid having discussions with the town Priest?
4. How does Tevye convince Golde that Tsaytl should marry Motl instead of Layzar?
5. What causes the man from Pereshchepena to become irritated with the other two Jews?
6. What type of welcome does Tevye receive when he goes to visit Beilke and Podhotzur after they return from their honeymoon?
7. Describe the appearance of the man from Kaminka in Baranovich Station.
8. Why does Tevye like Pertchik?
9. What good deeds do the manor owners of Kodny do for the poor?
10. When Tevye first learns of Chava's engagement, what does he do to take out his frustration?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)