|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question about Mendle does Tevye ask Golde after he leaves their home?
(a) Tevye asks if she knows what Mendl does for a living.
(b) Tevye asks how old Mendl is.
(c) Tevye asks is Mendl was popular as a child.
(d) Tevye asks if Mendl has any children.
2. How does Tevye find Mendl in Yehpuetz?
(a) He runs into him by chance at the market.
(b) He goes to Mendl's mother-in-law and find him there.
(c) He asks around get is told his whereabouts.
(d) He waits at Mendl's favorite bar until he arrives.
3. Where does Tevye find his horse after he has eaten dinner at the rich man's dacha?
(a) In the forest.
(b) Out in the field.
(c) In the stables.
(d) In the pond.
4. What happens to Tevye the day after his meeting with Layzar that he sees as a bad omen?
(a) His cart overturns.
(b) He injures his hand.
(c) His cow dies.
(d) He gets the stomach flu.
5. Why isn't the end of Kivke's story disclosed?
(a) The man did not know the ending.
(b) Kivke himself appears on the scene and everyone goes quiet.
(c) The man telling the story had to catch a train.
(d) A unexpected pogrom breaks up the storytelling.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Tevye related to Menachem Mendl?
2. What relationship do the saleswoman and the salesman on the train have in the Competitors?
3. What is wrong with Itzikl Borodenko's daughter in The Happiest Man in All Kodny?
4. When Tevye returns from his meeting with Layzar, how does Golde initially react?
5. According to the narrator in The Happiest Man in All Kodny, when is the best time to travel by train?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Tevye first learns of Chava's engagement, what does he do to take out his frustration?
2. How does the rich Jew respond when Tevye requests three rubles as a reward for bringing the two women in from the forest?
3. Why does Ahronchik's brother offer Tevye money to Shprintze?
4. Why does Beilke agree to marry Podhotzur even though she does not love him?
5. What does Tsaytl beg her father for at the end of Lekh-Lekho?
6. How does Tevye convince Golde that Tsaytl should marry Motl instead of Layzar?
7. How does the narrator describe the appearance of the man and woman salespeople he encounters on the train in Competitors?
8. What does Kivke threaten to do to Nissl Shapiro if he does not give him the 1000 rubles he requests?
9. What good deeds do the manor owners of Kodny do for the poor?
10. What causes the man from Pereshchepena to become irritated with the other two Jews?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)