|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many partners does the Man from Buenos Aires have?
2. Before her adoption, how is the girl Rayzl related to her adopted father?
(a) She was not related to him.
(b) She was his second cousin.
(c) She was his cousin.
(d) She was his niece through marriage.
3. Why doesn't the narrator in trouble at the end of Fated for Misfortune?
(a) He has broken his leg.
(b) He did not keep account books.
(c) He has stolen money.
(d) He is bankrupt.
4. Why does the Man from Buenos Aires run away from home at a young age?
(a) To start his career as a performer.
(b) To escape his abusive step-father.
(c) To avoid getting drafted into the army.
(d) To follow the love of his life.
5. What convinces the Jews of Bohopoli to become "poliakovs" or people work for the railroad?
(a) They were given a tax break.
(b) They were anxious to be able to travel to St. Petersburg more easily.
(c) It was an easy way to make money.
(d) They were forced to work on the railroad by the army.
6. How does the Priest treat Berko after the train stops?
(a) He shouts curses at him.
(b) He completely ignores him.
(c) He shakes hands with him.
(d) He punches him.
7. Why is Dovid taken to jail instead of Moyshe-Nachman?
(a) Dovid confesses.
(b) The police take a disliking to Dovid.
(c) Moyshe-Nachman bribes the police officers.
(d) They had switched identities.
8. How much money does Danielschik request for his ticket to America?
(a) 100 rubles.
(b) 150 rubles.
(c) 300 rubles.
(d) 400 rubles.
9. What relief fund does Yoyl have to contribute to when he loses a bet?
(a) The Drozhne relief fund.
(b) The local orphanage.
(c) The Avelikz education fund.
(d) The local emigration fund.
10. What does the diamond dealer try to sell to the commercial traveler at the end of the Hard Luck?
(a) Diamond earrings.
(b) A bracelet.
(c) A diamond ring.
(d) A necklace.
11. How did Etke die?
(a) She was trampled in a riot.
(b) She was poisoned by a neighbor.
(c) She died of consumption.
(d) She committed suicide.
12. Why did the man in It Doesn't Pay to Be Good adopt two children?
(a) Because there was a tax break for adopting them.
(b) Because he is childless.
(c) Because he thought they resembled him.
(d) Because he had an omen that he should adopt them.
13. Which is NOT one of the towns connected by the Slowpoke Express?
14. What does Itsik's mother call him for good luck?
15. What is the name of the boy, who Etke reads the book Sanine with?
(d) His name is not given.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Itsik short for?
2. When the Man from Buenos Aires first emigrated to Buenos Aires what job does he take in the countryside?
3. What does Dovid do for a living for Brodky?
4. Where is Moyshe-Nachman from?
5. What was the name of Rayzl's birth mother?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)