|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the gossips explain the death of Yoyl Tashker's wife?
(a) The claim she died of hunger.
(b) They claim he beat her to death.
(c) They claim she committed suicide.
(d) They claim she died in a fire started by Yoyl.
2. What is the name of The Man from Buenos Aires's hometown?
3. Which is NOT one of professions that Danielschik attempts to apprentice for?
(a) A goldsmith.
(b) A watchmaker.
(c) A carpenter.
(d) A tailer.
4. How is Moshke alerted when his store burns down?
(a) A neighbor comes and finds him.
(b) He arrives home and sees the flames.
(c) He is given a telegram.
(d) His wife runs to tell him.
5. Where does the Priest go after the train stopped?
(a) Back to his home.
(b) He hires a coach to take him to St. Petersburg.
(c) He visits friends in Heysen.
(d) He travels up the line.
6. What language does Paysi learn as a youth in addition to his own?
7. Why does the 60-year-old man claim to hate reading the newspaper?
(a) Because reading on the train gives him motion sickness.
(b) Because he is not a good reader.
(c) Because the newspaper depresses him.
(d) Because it is not his hometown newspaper.
8. Where does Moshke claim to be when his store burns down?
(a) At home taking a nap.
(b) On business in Odessa.
(c) At his nephew's bar mitzvah.
(d) At his nieces's engagement party.
9. Why does Aharon's business fall apart?
(a) He has spent all his money on bribes for his son.
(b) His wife moves to Poland with the son and leaves him shorthanded.
(c) He suffers anxiety about his son and is unable to work.
(d) He is robbed.
10. How is the thief able to take the case from the Diamond Dealer?
(a) The Diamond Dealer leaves the case to go to the bathroom.
(b) The thief takes the case while the Diamond Dealer is paying the dinner bill.
(c) The thief offers to carry the case for the Diamond Dealer on the train.
(d) He takes the case after the Diamond Dealer faints.
11. How did Etke die?
(a) She was poisoned by a neighbor.
(b) She was trampled in a riot.
(c) She died of consumption.
(d) She committed suicide.
12. What does the diamond dealer do to the young man who returns his case?
(a) He doesn't thank him, just takes the case.
(b) He gives him a one hundred ruble reward.
(c) He gives him a kiss.
(d) He writes him a thank you letter.
13. What color of ties is Froike-Sheygetz partial to?
(a) Pale pink.
(c) Bright red.
14. How does Aharon's wife react when her son leaves school?
(a) She is furious and disowns him.
(b) She is heartbroken and becomes sick.
(c) She supports him and agrees with him.
(d) She is indifferent and doesn't react either way.
15. How many Jews are admitted into the high school in High School?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Moyshe-Nachman have?
2. What is the name of the cantor's daughter who committed suicide?
3. In The Automatic Exemption, what place is the tall bearded Jew originally from?
4. What is the name of the boy, who Etke reads the book Sanine with?
5. What part of the entrance exam does the son initially fail in High School.
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)