|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the boy, who Etke reads the book Sanine with?
(b) His name is not given.
2. Why is Dovid taken to jail instead of Moyshe-Nachman?
(a) Dovid confesses.
(b) They had switched identities.
(c) Moyshe-Nachman bribes the police officers.
(d) The police take a disliking to Dovid.
3. Why doesn't the narrator in trouble at the end of Fated for Misfortune?
(a) He has stolen money.
(b) He did not keep account books.
(c) He has broken his leg.
(d) He is bankrupt.
4. What does Dovid do for a living for Brodky?
(a) He is a torah reader in the synagogue.
(b) He is a gardener.
(c) He runs a factory.
(d) He is an accountant.
5. What is the name of the Man from Buenos Aires?
6. Why does Berko think the train stopped?
(a) He thinks it was purely due to his own genius.
(b) He assumes it was just a coincidence.
(c) He was fated to live another year.
(d) He thinks the power of the Priest's faith stopped it.
7. What does Itsik's mother call him for good luck?
8. What is Kompanyevitch's profession?
(a) He is a banker.
(b) He is a notary.
(c) He is a garbage man.
(d) He is a carpenter.
9. What does Yoyl Tashker do for a living?
(a) He owns a store.
(b) He is a government official.
(c) He is a moneylender and a landlord.
(d) He is a doctor.
10. What is the name of the contractor that arranges the bribe for the Heysen Merchant?
11. How many Jews are admitted into the high school in High School?
12. Where does the Priest go after the train stopped?
(a) Back to his home.
(b) He hires a coach to take him to St. Petersburg.
(c) He travels up the line.
(d) He visits friends in Heysen.
13. How does the train eventually stop?
(a) It loses momentum climbing a steep hill.
(b) Train engineers manage to put something on the tracks to stop it.
(c) It runs off track and crashes.
(d) It runs out of fuel.
14. What relief fund does Yoyl have to contribute to when he loses a bet?
(a) The Avelikz education fund.
(b) The local emigration fund.
(c) The local orphanage.
(d) The Drozhne relief fund.
15. What does the diamond dealer try to sell to the commercial traveler at the end of the Hard Luck?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) A bracelet.
(c) Diamond earrings.
(d) A necklace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the entrance exam does the son initially fail in High School.
2. When the Man from Buenos Aires first emigrated to Buenos Aires what job does he take in the countryside?
3. How was Paysi's birth father related to his adopted father?
4. Why should Itsik have an automatic exemption from the draft?
5. How do the gossips explain the death of Yoyl Tashker's wife?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)