|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children does Moyshe-Nachman have?
(a) He has eight children.
(b) Two daughters.
(c) One son.
(d) Three daughter and one son.
2. In The Automatic Exemption, what place is the tall bearded Jew originally from?
3. What is the name of the boy, who Etke reads the book Sanine with?
(b) His name is not given.
4. What does The Man from Buenos Aires hope to find in his hometown?
(a) His missing brother.
(b) A wife.
(c) His childhood home.
(d) A loyal dog.
5. Why does Aharon's business fall apart?
(a) He suffers anxiety about his son and is unable to work.
(b) He has spent all his money on bribes for his son.
(c) His wife moves to Poland with the son and leaves him shorthanded.
(d) He is robbed.
6. Where are the Cossack in The Wedding That Came Without Its Band from?
7. What is the name of the girl Danielschik marries?
8. What does the son score lowly on the second time he takes the exams in High School?
9. Why does Aharon's son get rid of his school hat?
(a) He lost his hat playing a game.
(b) He doesn't want others to know he is a student.
(c) He has left school.
(d) The hat no longer fits his head.
10. Which is NOT one of the names that the priest mistakes for Berko's name for in The Miracle of Hoshanah Rabbah?
11. What convinces the Jews of Bohopoli to become "poliakovs" or people work for the railroad?
(a) They were given a tax break.
(b) They were anxious to be able to travel to St. Petersburg more easily.
(c) They were forced to work on the railroad by the army.
(d) It was an easy way to make money.
12. What is the name of the rich man who dies in Fated for Misfortune?
13. Why was the son exempt from the draft in High School?
(a) He was partly blind.
(b) He is an only son.
(c) He had a heart condition.
(d) The father had already bribed the conscription officer.
14. Which is NOT one of professions that Danielschik attempts to apprentice for?
(a) A carpenter.
(b) A tailer.
(c) A goldsmith.
(d) A watchmaker.
15. How does the train eventually stop?
(a) It runs off track and crashes.
(b) It runs out of fuel.
(c) It loses momentum climbing a steep hill.
(d) Train engineers manage to put something on the tracks to stop it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Itsik's mother call him for good luck?
2. How many Jews are admitted into the high school in High School?
3. What is Kompanyevitch's profession?
4. Who panics the most about the upcoming pogrom in The Wedding That Came Without Its Band?
5. Why is Dovid taken to jail instead of Moyshe-Nachman?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)