|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Etke die?
(a) She was trampled in a riot.
(b) She committed suicide.
(c) She died of consumption.
(d) She was poisoned by a neighbor.
2. What is the name of the person that Moshke has to pay to "keep his mouth shut?"
3. Where is the setting of Hard Luck?
(a) A third class train car.
(b) The local bar.
(c) The ticket counter at the train station.
(d) The second class waiting room at the station.
4. Where is Moyshe-Nachman from?
5. In the game of Sixty-six, what is trump?
6. What was the name of Rayzl's birth mother?
7. What does the priest want to do when he is trapped on the runaway locomotive with Berko?
(a) Throw something in front of the train to slow it.
(b) Make a jump for it.
(c) Wait for help.
(d) Pull the brake.
8. What does the son score lowly on the second time he takes the exams in High School?
9. Where are the Cossack in The Wedding That Came Without Its Band from?
10. When the Man from Buenos Aires first emigrated to Buenos Aires what job does he take in the countryside?
(a) Handling livestock.
(b) Delivering the mail.
(c) Repairing railroad tracks.
(d) Collecting soil samples.
11. In The Automatic Exemption where does the tall bearded Jew currently reside?
12. What does Yoyl Tashker do for a living?
(a) He is a government official.
(b) He owns a store.
(c) He is a moneylender and a landlord.
(d) He is a doctor.
13. What is Kompanyevitch's profession?
(a) He is a carpenter.
(b) He is a notary.
(c) He is a garbage man.
(d) He is a banker.
14. What does Itsik's mother call him for good luck?
15. What is the name of the boy, who Etke reads the book Sanine with?
(a) His name is not given.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Priest go after the train stopped?
2. How many children does Moyshe-Nachman have?
3. Why does the Man from Buenos Aires run away from home at a young age?
4. Why does the 60-year-old man claim to hate reading the newspaper?
5. Why should Itsik have an automatic exemption from the draft?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)