|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why should Itsik have an automatic exemption from the draft?
(a) He is missing an eye.
(b) He has poor health.
(c) He is a university student.
(d) He is an only son since the demise of his brother.
2. Where is Moyshe-Nachman from?
3. Why does Berko think the train stopped?
(a) He thinks it was purely due to his own genius.
(b) He thinks the power of the Priest's faith stopped it.
(c) He was fated to live another year.
(d) He assumes it was just a coincidence.
4. Where does Aharon's son move so he can attend school?
5. How do the gossips explain the death of Yoyl Tashker's wife?
(a) They claim she died in a fire started by Yoyl.
(b) They claim he beat her to death.
(c) They claim she committed suicide.
(d) The claim she died of hunger.
6. Why does the Man from Buenos Aires run away from home at a young age?
(a) To follow the love of his life.
(b) To avoid getting drafted into the army.
(c) To escape his abusive step-father.
(d) To start his career as a performer.
7. In The Automatic Exemption where does the tall bearded Jew currently reside?
8. How does Aharon's wife react when her son leaves school?
(a) She is indifferent and doesn't react either way.
(b) She supports him and agrees with him.
(c) She is furious and disowns him.
(d) She is heartbroken and becomes sick.
9. In the game of Sixty-six, what is trump?
10. Which is NOT one of the names that the priest mistakes for Berko's name for in The Miracle of Hoshanah Rabbah?
11. How did Etke die?
(a) She was trampled in a riot.
(b) She was poisoned by a neighbor.
(c) She died of consumption.
(d) She committed suicide.
12. What does the Man from Buenos Aires show the narrator to prove his wealth?
(a) His diamond ring.
(b) His thick billfold.
(c) His ebony cane.
(d) His gold pocketwatch.
13. What is Itsik short for?
(d) It is not an abhreviation of any name.
14. What does Berko do for a living?
(a) He is a tailor.
(b) He is a mason.
(c) He makes vinegar.
(d) He is a cantor.
15. What does the priest want to do when he is trapped on the runaway locomotive with Berko?
(a) Make a jump for it.
(b) Wait for help.
(c) Pull the brake.
(d) Throw something in front of the train to slow it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Itsik's mother call him for good luck?
2. Where is the setting of Hard Luck?
3. What does the diamond dealer do to the young man who returns his case?
4. How much money does Danielschik request for his ticket to America?
5. What is the name of the rich man who dies in Fated for Misfortune?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)