|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much the narrator pay for the dowry of the girl as fiduciary in Fated for Misfortune.
(a) 100 rubles.
(b) 10000 rubles.
(c) 500 rubles.
(d) 1000 rubles.
2. What is the name of the cantor's daughter who committed suicide?
3. Why does the 60-year-old man claim to hate reading the newspaper?
(a) Because he is not a good reader.
(b) Because reading on the train gives him motion sickness.
(c) Because the newspaper depresses him.
(d) Because it is not his hometown newspaper.
4. Why does Berko think the train stopped?
(a) He assumes it was just a coincidence.
(b) He thinks it was purely due to his own genius.
(c) He thinks the power of the Priest's faith stopped it.
(d) He was fated to live another year.
5. What is the name of the rich man who dies in Fated for Misfortune?
6. How did Etke die?
(a) She committed suicide.
(b) She died of consumption.
(c) She was poisoned by a neighbor.
(d) She was trampled in a riot.
7. Why did the man in It Doesn't Pay to Be Good adopt two children?
(a) Because there was a tax break for adopting them.
(b) Because he thought they resembled him.
(c) Because he had an omen that he should adopt them.
(d) Because he is childless.
8. How do the gossips explain the death of Yoyl Tashker's wife?
(a) They claim he beat her to death.
(b) The claim she died of hunger.
(c) They claim she died in a fire started by Yoyl.
(d) They claim she committed suicide.
9. What does Dovid do for a living for Brodky?
(a) He is a gardener.
(b) He runs a factory.
(c) He is an accountant.
(d) He is a torah reader in the synagogue.
10. Why does Aharon's son get rid of his school hat?
(a) He has left school.
(b) The hat no longer fits his head.
(c) He doesn't want others to know he is a student.
(d) He lost his hat playing a game.
11. When the Man from Buenos Aires first emigrated to Buenos Aires what job does he take in the countryside?
(a) Handling livestock.
(b) Collecting soil samples.
(c) Delivering the mail.
(d) Repairing railroad tracks.
12. What is the name of the contractor that arranges the bribe for the Heysen Merchant?
13. How much money does Danielschik request for his ticket to America?
(a) 300 rubles.
(b) 400 rubles.
(c) 150 rubles.
(d) 100 rubles.
14. What is the name of the Man from Buenos Aires?
15. How does the Diamond dealer regard his ability to sell diamond?
(a) He thinks he is in the "middle of the pack," as dealers go.
(b) He sees himself as a complete failure.
(c) He sees himself as an artist.
(d) He thinks he is efficient, but not particularly successful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Berko go after the train stops?
2. What relief fund does Yoyl have to contribute to when he loses a bet?
3. What does the diamond dealer do to the young man who returns his case?
4. What is the name of the girl Danielschik marries?
5. How much money does Danielschik request so he can buy the beer hall and billiard parlor?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)