|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ailment is Moyshe-Nachman trying to get treatment for?
(a) A twisted ankle.
(b) A cough and asthma.
(c) An severe toothache.
(d) A cataract on his left eye.
2. What language does Paysi learn as a youth in addition to his own?
3. What part of the entrance exam does the son initially fail in High School.
4. What is Kompanyevitch's profession?
(a) He is a garbage man.
(b) He is a notary.
(c) He is a banker.
(d) He is a carpenter.
5. Why did the man in It Doesn't Pay to Be Good adopt two children?
(a) Because there was a tax break for adopting them.
(b) Because he is childless.
(c) Because he thought they resembled him.
(d) Because he had an omen that he should adopt them.
6. When the Man from Buenos Aires first emigrated to Buenos Aires what job does he take in the countryside?
(a) Handling livestock.
(b) Repairing railroad tracks.
(c) Delivering the mail.
(d) Collecting soil samples.
7. Why should Itsik have an automatic exemption from the draft?
(a) He is an only son since the demise of his brother.
(b) He is a university student.
(c) He has poor health.
(d) He is missing an eye.
8. How many Jews are admitted into the high school in High School?
9. Why is Dovid taken to jail instead of Moyshe-Nachman?
(a) The police take a disliking to Dovid.
(b) Dovid confesses.
(c) Moyshe-Nachman bribes the police officers.
(d) They had switched identities.
10. In The Automatic Exemption, what place is the tall bearded Jew originally from?
11. What is the name of the town where the Man from Buenos Aires gets a job leading around a blind cantor?
12. In The Automatic Exemption where does the tall bearded Jew currently reside?
13. Why does Aharon's business fall apart?
(a) He is robbed.
(b) He has spent all his money on bribes for his son.
(c) His wife moves to Poland with the son and leaves him shorthanded.
(d) He suffers anxiety about his son and is unable to work.
14. Why won't Yoyl terminate Kompanyevitch's lease even though he greatly dislikes him?
(a) He is afraid Kompanyevitch would exact revenge on him.
(b) He has given his word as a gentleman not to.
(c) Kompanyevitch pays on time.
(d) He likes having something to complain about.
15. How does Aharon's wife react when her son leaves school?
(a) She is heartbroken and becomes sick.
(b) She supports him and agrees with him.
(c) She is indifferent and doesn't react either way.
(d) She is furious and disowns him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the setting of Hard Luck?
2. What type of coat does the narrator wear in High School?
3. What does Itsik's mother call him for good luck?
4. Why does Aharon's son get rid of his school hat?
5. How much money does Yayl have to pay when he loses the bet?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)