|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relief fund does Yoyl have to contribute to when he loses a bet?
(a) The local orphanage.
(b) The Drozhne relief fund.
(c) The Avelikz education fund.
(d) The local emigration fund.
2. What is the name of The Man from Buenos Aires's hometown?
3. How is Moshke alerted when his store burns down?
(a) A neighbor comes and finds him.
(b) His wife runs to tell him.
(c) He is given a telegram.
(d) He arrives home and sees the flames.
4. Why does the 60-year-old man claim to hate reading the newspaper?
(a) Because it is not his hometown newspaper.
(b) Because he is not a good reader.
(c) Because reading on the train gives him motion sickness.
(d) Because the newspaper depresses him.
5. How many Jews are admitted into the high school in High School?
6. Why should Itsik have an automatic exemption from the draft?
(a) He is an only son since the demise of his brother.
(b) He has poor health.
(c) He is a university student.
(d) He is missing an eye.
7. Where does Aharon's son move so he can attend school?
8. What was the name of Rayzl's birth mother?
9. Which is NOT one of professions that Danielschik attempts to apprentice for?
(a) A watchmaker.
(b) A goldsmith.
(c) A carpenter.
(d) A tailer.
10. Before her adoption, how is the girl Rayzl related to her adopted father?
(a) She was his niece through marriage.
(b) She was not related to him.
(c) She was his cousin.
(d) She was his second cousin.
11. Why did the man in It Doesn't Pay to Be Good adopt two children?
(a) Because he thought they resembled him.
(b) Because he had an omen that he should adopt them.
(c) Because he is childless.
(d) Because there was a tax break for adopting them.
12. Why doesn't the narrator in trouble at the end of Fated for Misfortune?
(a) He did not keep account books.
(b) He is bankrupt.
(c) He has stolen money.
(d) He has broken his leg.
13. How does the Priest treat Berko after the train stops?
(a) He shouts curses at him.
(b) He completely ignores him.
(c) He shakes hands with him.
(d) He punches him.
14. Which city reports a cholera epidemic in the newspaper in A Game of Sixty-Six?
(a) St. Petersburg.
15. Why won't Yoyl terminate Kompanyevitch's lease even though he greatly dislikes him?
(a) He likes having something to complain about.
(b) Kompanyevitch pays on time.
(c) He is afraid Kompanyevitch would exact revenge on him.
(d) He has given his word as a gentleman not to.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aharon's son get rid of his school hat?
2. What does Berko do for a living?
3. What does the Man from Buenos Aires show the narrator to prove his wealth?
4. How much money does Danielschik request for his ticket to America?
5. What is Itsik short for?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)