|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Itsik's mother call him for good luck?
2. What is the name of the Man from Buenos Aires?
3. Where does Moshke claim to be when his store burns down?
(a) On business in Odessa.
(b) At home taking a nap.
(c) At his nieces's engagement party.
(d) At his nephew's bar mitzvah.
4. Which is NOT one of professions that Danielschik attempts to apprentice for?
(a) A tailer.
(b) A watchmaker.
(c) A carpenter.
(d) A goldsmith.
5. When the Man from Buenos Aires first emigrated to Buenos Aires what job does he take in the countryside?
(a) Handling livestock.
(b) Repairing railroad tracks.
(c) Delivering the mail.
(d) Collecting soil samples.
6. What does the diamond dealer try to sell to the commercial traveler at the end of the Hard Luck?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A bracelet.
(d) Diamond earrings.
7. Which is NOT one of the towns connected by the Slowpoke Express?
8. What is the name of the rich man who dies in Fated for Misfortune?
9. How does Aharon's wife react when her son leaves school?
(a) She supports him and agrees with him.
(b) She is indifferent and doesn't react either way.
(c) She is heartbroken and becomes sick.
(d) She is furious and disowns him.
10. Where are the Cossack in The Wedding That Came Without Its Band from?
11. Why is Dovid taken to jail instead of Moyshe-Nachman?
(a) They had switched identities.
(b) The police take a disliking to Dovid.
(c) Dovid confesses.
(d) Moyshe-Nachman bribes the police officers.
12. Why does Berko think the train stopped?
(a) He was fated to live another year.
(b) He thinks the power of the Priest's faith stopped it.
(c) He thinks it was purely due to his own genius.
(d) He assumes it was just a coincidence.
13. Why did the man in It Doesn't Pay to Be Good adopt two children?
(a) Because he thought they resembled him.
(b) Because he had an omen that he should adopt them.
(c) Because he is childless.
(d) Because there was a tax break for adopting them.
14. What is the name of the boy, who Etke reads the book Sanine with?
(d) His name is not given.
15. How much money does Yayl have to pay when he loses the bet?
(a) 100 rubles.
(b) 200 rubles.
(c) 10 rubles.
(d) 50 rubles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times in total does Itsik have to go before the draft board?
2. What does the priest want to do when he is trapped on the runaway locomotive with Berko?
3. How do most people prepare for the pogrom?
4. What does the Man from Buenos Aires show the narrator to prove his wealth?
5. What color of ties is Froike-Sheygetz partial to?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)