|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had Moshke had insurance before the place burned down?
(a) Two years.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One day.
(d) Two months.
2. Where is the setting of Hard Luck?
(a) The ticket counter at the train station.
(b) A third class train car.
(c) The local bar.
(d) The second class waiting room at the station.
3. How many Jews are admitted into the high school in High School?
4. Where is the Russian priest from in The Miracle of Hoshana Rabbah?
5. What language does Paysi learn as a youth in addition to his own?
6. How much money does Yayl have to pay when he loses the bet?
(a) 50 rubles.
(b) 200 rubles.
(c) 10 rubles.
(d) 100 rubles.
7. What does Dovid do for a living for Brodky?
(a) He is a torah reader in the synagogue.
(b) He is an accountant.
(c) He is a gardener.
(d) He runs a factory.
8. What does Berko do for a living?
(a) He is a cantor.
(b) He makes vinegar.
(c) He is a tailor.
(d) He is a mason.
9. How much money does Moshke claim it takes to hire someone to "give the match a scratch?"
(a) 3 rubles.
(b) 10 rubles.
(c) 50 rubles.
(d) 300 rubles.
10. Why does the 60-year-old man claim to hate reading the newspaper?
(a) Because it is not his hometown newspaper.
(b) Because reading on the train gives him motion sickness.
(c) Because he is not a good reader.
(d) Because the newspaper depresses him.
11. Why is Dovid taken to jail instead of Moyshe-Nachman?
(a) Moyshe-Nachman bribes the police officers.
(b) The police take a disliking to Dovid.
(c) They had switched identities.
(d) Dovid confesses.
12. How does the Priest treat Berko after the train stops?
(a) He shouts curses at him.
(b) He punches him.
(c) He shakes hands with him.
(d) He completely ignores him.
13. What is the name of the cantor's daughter who committed suicide?
14. What relief fund does Yoyl have to contribute to when he loses a bet?
(a) The Avelikz education fund.
(b) The local emigration fund.
(c) The local orphanage.
(d) The Drozhne relief fund.
15. What does the priest want to do when he is trapped on the runaway locomotive with Berko?
(a) Make a jump for it.
(b) Wait for help.
(c) Pull the brake.
(d) Throw something in front of the train to slow it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the entrance exam does the son initially fail in High School.
2. Before her adoption, how is the girl Rayzl related to her adopted father?
3. Where does the Priest go after the train stopped?
4. Where does Moshke claim to be when his store burns down?
5. What is the name of Moshke's insurance agent?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)