|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator and the Man from Buenos Aires drink for lunch?
2. How much money does Danielschik request for his ticket to America?
(a) 300 rubles.
(b) 150 rubles.
(c) 400 rubles.
(d) 100 rubles.
3. Why should Itsik have an automatic exemption from the draft?
(a) He is a university student.
(b) He is missing an eye.
(c) He is an only son since the demise of his brother.
(d) He has poor health.
4. What is the name of the girl Danielschik marries?
5. Before her adoption, how is the girl Rayzl related to her adopted father?
(a) She was his cousin.
(b) She was not related to him.
(c) She was his niece through marriage.
(d) She was his second cousin.
6. What is the name of the rich man who dies in Fated for Misfortune?
7. How does Aharon's wife react when her son leaves school?
(a) She is heartbroken and becomes sick.
(b) She is furious and disowns him.
(c) She is indifferent and doesn't react either way.
(d) She supports him and agrees with him.
8. Where is the setting of Hard Luck?
(a) The ticket counter at the train station.
(b) The second class waiting room at the station.
(c) The local bar.
(d) A third class train car.
9. How does the train eventually stop?
(a) Train engineers manage to put something on the tracks to stop it.
(b) It loses momentum climbing a steep hill.
(c) It runs off track and crashes.
(d) It runs out of fuel.
10. Why was the son exempt from the draft in High School?
(a) He is an only son.
(b) He had a heart condition.
(c) The father had already bribed the conscription officer.
(d) He was partly blind.
11. What is the name of the boy, who Etke reads the book Sanine with?
(a) His name is not given.
12. What does Yoyl Tashker do for a living?
(a) He is a doctor.
(b) He is a government official.
(c) He owns a store.
(d) He is a moneylender and a landlord.
13. What is the name of Moshke's insurance agent?
14. Where are the Cossack in The Wedding That Came Without Its Band from?
15. How was Paysi's birth father related to his adopted father?
(a) They were cousins.
(b) They were best friends.
(c) They were brothers.
(d) They did not know each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment is Moyshe-Nachman trying to get treatment for?
2. How many times in total does Itsik have to go before the draft board?
3. Why doesn't the narrator in trouble at the end of Fated for Misfortune?
4. What does the priest want to do when he is trapped on the runaway locomotive with Berko?
5. How is Noyach Tonkonog able to read a telegram about the upcoming pogrom?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)