|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Noyach Tonkonog able to read a telegram about the upcoming pogrom?
(a) He accidentily sees it while making deliveries.
(b) He owns a printshop and is connected to officials.
(c) He has a close friend who is a Christian that gives it to him.
(d) He does not reveal how he sees the telegram.
2. Where is the setting of Hard Luck?
(a) The ticket counter at the train station.
(b) The local bar.
(c) A third class train car.
(d) The second class waiting room at the station.
3. Where is Moyshe-Nachman from?
4. Why won't Yoyl terminate Kompanyevitch's lease even though he greatly dislikes him?
(a) He has given his word as a gentleman not to.
(b) He likes having something to complain about.
(c) Kompanyevitch pays on time.
(d) He is afraid Kompanyevitch would exact revenge on him.
5. Why doesn't the narrator in trouble at the end of Fated for Misfortune?
(a) He did not keep account books.
(b) He has broken his leg.
(c) He is bankrupt.
(d) He has stolen money.
6. How long had Moshke had insurance before the place burned down?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two years.
(c) Two months.
(d) One day.
7. Where does Moshke claim to be when his store burns down?
(a) At his nieces's engagement party.
(b) At home taking a nap.
(c) At his nephew's bar mitzvah.
(d) On business in Odessa.
8. What is the name of the cantor's daughter who committed suicide?
9. How much money does Yayl have to pay when he loses the bet?
(a) 100 rubles.
(b) 200 rubles.
(c) 50 rubles.
(d) 10 rubles.
10. How many Jews are admitted into the high school in High School?
11. What was the name of Rayzl's birth mother?
12. What does the priest want to do when he is trapped on the runaway locomotive with Berko?
(a) Pull the brake.
(b) Throw something in front of the train to slow it.
(c) Wait for help.
(d) Make a jump for it.
13. Why should Itsik have an automatic exemption from the draft?
(a) He has poor health.
(b) He is missing an eye.
(c) He is a university student.
(d) He is an only son since the demise of his brother.
14. What is the name of the girl Danielschik marries?
15. Why did the man in It Doesn't Pay to Be Good adopt two children?
(a) Because he is childless.
(b) Because there was a tax break for adopting them.
(c) Because he had an omen that he should adopt them.
(d) Because he thought they resembled him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Itsik short for?
2. How does the Diamond dealer regard his ability to sell diamond?
3. What does the son score lowly on the second time he takes the exams in High School?
4. What does the diamond dealer do to the young man who returns his case?
5. What is the name of the boy, who Etke reads the book Sanine with?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)