|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many partners does the Man from Buenos Aires have?
2. In the game of Sixty-six, what is trump?
3. Where is Moyshe-Nachman from?
4. How does Aharon's wife react when her son leaves school?
(a) She is heartbroken and becomes sick.
(b) She is furious and disowns him.
(c) She supports him and agrees with him.
(d) She is indifferent and doesn't react either way.
5. Which city reports a cholera epidemic in the newspaper in A Game of Sixty-Six?
(c) St. Petersburg.
6. When the Man from Buenos Aires first emigrated to Buenos Aires what job does he take in the countryside?
(a) Handling livestock.
(b) Repairing railroad tracks.
(c) Collecting soil samples.
(d) Delivering the mail.
7. Why is Dovid taken to jail instead of Moyshe-Nachman?
(a) They had switched identities.
(b) Moyshe-Nachman bribes the police officers.
(c) Dovid confesses.
(d) The police take a disliking to Dovid.
8. How many children does Moyshe-Nachman have?
(a) Three daughter and one son.
(b) He has eight children.
(c) One son.
(d) Two daughters.
9. Which is NOT one of the towns connected by the Slowpoke Express?
10. What language does Paysi learn as a youth in addition to his own?
11. Where are the Cossack in The Wedding That Came Without Its Band from?
12. Why won't Yoyl terminate Kompanyevitch's lease even though he greatly dislikes him?
(a) He likes having something to complain about.
(b) Kompanyevitch pays on time.
(c) He is afraid Kompanyevitch would exact revenge on him.
(d) He has given his word as a gentleman not to.
13. What convinces the Jews of Bohopoli to become "poliakovs" or people work for the railroad?
(a) They were forced to work on the railroad by the army.
(b) They were given a tax break.
(c) They were anxious to be able to travel to St. Petersburg more easily.
(d) It was an easy way to make money.
14. What does the diamond dealer do to the young man who returns his case?
(a) He writes him a thank you letter.
(b) He doesn't thank him, just takes the case.
(c) He gives him a one hundred ruble reward.
(d) He gives him a kiss.
15. What does the priest want to do when he is trapped on the runaway locomotive with Berko?
(a) Wait for help.
(b) Pull the brake.
(c) Make a jump for it.
(d) Throw something in front of the train to slow it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Berko think the train stopped?
2. What is the name of the boy, who Etke reads the book Sanine with?
3. What is the name of the rich man who dies in Fated for Misfortune?
4. What is the name of the girl Danielschik marries?
5. How much money does Moshke claim it takes to hire someone to "give the match a scratch?"
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)