|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the diamond dealer try to sell to the commercial traveler at the end of the Hard Luck?
(a) A necklace.
(b) Diamond earrings.
(c) A diamond ring.
(d) A bracelet.
2. Which is NOT one of the names that the priest mistakes for Berko's name for in The Miracle of Hoshanah Rabbah?
3. What is the name of the cantor's daughter who committed suicide?
4. What does the priest want to do when he is trapped on the runaway locomotive with Berko?
(a) Throw something in front of the train to slow it.
(b) Make a jump for it.
(c) Pull the brake.
(d) Wait for help.
5. How is Moshke alerted when his store burns down?
(a) A neighbor comes and finds him.
(b) He is given a telegram.
(c) He arrives home and sees the flames.
(d) His wife runs to tell him.
6. Why does Berko think the train stopped?
(a) He thinks it was purely due to his own genius.
(b) He thinks the power of the Priest's faith stopped it.
(c) He was fated to live another year.
(d) He assumes it was just a coincidence.
7. How is Noyach Tonkonog able to read a telegram about the upcoming pogrom?
(a) He owns a printshop and is connected to officials.
(b) He does not reveal how he sees the telegram.
(c) He has a close friend who is a Christian that gives it to him.
(d) He accidentily sees it while making deliveries.
8. Why doesn't the narrator in trouble at the end of Fated for Misfortune?
(a) He has stolen money.
(b) He did not keep account books.
(c) He is bankrupt.
(d) He has broken his leg.
9. How much money does Moshke claim it takes to hire someone to "give the match a scratch?"
(a) 300 rubles.
(b) 50 rubles.
(c) 3 rubles.
(d) 10 rubles.
10. Where does Berko go after the train stops?
(a) He returns home.
(b) He is taken to jail for starting the locamotive.
(c) He spends the holiday with friends in Heysen.
(d) He travels up the line.
11. Which is NOT one of professions that Danielschik attempts to apprentice for?
(a) A watchmaker.
(b) A tailer.
(c) A carpenter.
(d) A goldsmith.
12. How did Etke die?
(a) She was trampled in a riot.
(b) She was poisoned by a neighbor.
(c) She died of consumption.
(d) She committed suicide.
13. Before her adoption, how is the girl Rayzl related to her adopted father?
(a) She was not related to him.
(b) She was his second cousin.
(c) She was his niece through marriage.
(d) She was his cousin.
14. How does the Diamond dealer regard his ability to sell diamond?
(a) He thinks he is in the "middle of the pack," as dealers go.
(b) He sees himself as an artist.
(c) He thinks he is efficient, but not particularly successful.
(d) He sees himself as a complete failure.
15. How much money does Yayl have to pay when he loses the bet?
(a) 100 rubles.
(b) 200 rubles.
(c) 50 rubles.
(d) 10 rubles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much the narrator pay for the dowry of the girl as fiduciary in Fated for Misfortune.
2. What does the son score lowly on the second time he takes the exams in High School?
3. Why does Aharon's business fall apart?
4. What does the narrator and the Man from Buenos Aires drink for lunch?
5. What does the diamond dealer do to the young man who returns his case?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)