|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does the old woman offer to Tevye for bring her back to the dacha?
(a) A new coat.
(b) 18 rubles.
(c) A goat.
(d) A milk cow.
2. Why do Beilke and Podhotzur leave for America?
(a) Podhotzur establishes a great business there.
(b) They leave to escape the riots.
(c) They go broke and flee their creditors.
(d) Podhotzur has family there and wants to live in New York.
3. Where does Tevye find his horse after he has eaten dinner at the rich man's dacha?
(a) Out in the field.
(b) In the stables.
(c) In the forest.
(d) In the pond.
4. What do Tevye and his wife decide to buy with their reward from the rich Jew?
(a) A milk cow.
(b) A horse.
(c) A plot of land.
(d) A new wagon.
5. What is the name of the happy man from Kodny?
6. What year does Tevye record it as being at the end of Hodl?
7. On what holiday does Hodl tell her father she is going away?
(a) Rosh Hoshanah.
(b) High Holy Days.
(c) Hoshana Rabbah.
8. What does Tevye do when he meets Chava in the forest after her marriage?
(a) He forgives her, but tells her she is unwelcome at home.
(b) He refuses to speak to her and leaves the scene.
(c) He gives her some money as a wedding gift.
(d) He listens to her, but refuses to forgive her.
9. What are the two men discussing in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
(a) The pogroms against Jews in their town.
(b) The Head Tax on Jews.
(c) Conscription of Jews into the army.
(d) Restrictive school quotas for Jews.
10. What was Kivke sentenced to run the gauntlet?
(a) For arguing religion.
(b) For failing to pay his head tax.
(c) For stealing vodka.
(d) For trying to escape the draft.
11. After losing his fortune, what is Tevye's hope for the future?
(a) He completely foreswares money and doesn't think about it anymore.
(b) He has no hope to ever become wealthy.
(c) He still hopes for better times and to become rich.
(d) He hopes to have his fund reinstated and continue in his exact station.
12. Where doe Beilke and Podhotzur go on their honeymoon?
13. Why does Tevye think that Podhotzur has summoned him to his house after his marriage to Beilke?
(a) He thinks Podhotzur will ask him to move in.
(b) He thinks Podhotzur will offer him a job.
(c) He thinks Podhotzur wants to send him abroad.
(d) He thinks Podhotzur wants to give him a gift.
14. How much money does Kivke request from Kaminka for a dowry?
(a) 200 rubles.
(b) 400 rubles.
(c) 100 rubles.
(d) 1000 rubles.
15. When Tevye meets the two women in the forest, which is not one of the things he offers to sell them?
(a) Some fine hunger pains.
(b) Tears to feel a soup bowl.
(c) A head full of scrambled brains.
(d) A week's supply of heartache.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days do Tevye and Golde mourn Chava when they realize she isn't coming home?
2. Who does Tevye sell his house to?
3. Why is Chava in the priest's custody?
4. What happens to Tevye the day after his meeting with Layzar that he sees as a bad omen?
5. Why does Tevye end up staying in Russia instead of going to the Holy Land?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)