|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the happy man from Kodny?
2. Why does Tevye think that Podhotzur has summoned him to his house after his marriage to Beilke?
(a) He thinks Podhotzur will ask him to move in.
(b) He thinks Podhotzur wants to give him a gift.
(c) He thinks Podhotzur will offer him a job.
(d) He thinks Podhotzur wants to send him abroad.
3. Where does Tevye find his horse after he has eaten dinner at the rich man's dacha?
(a) In the pond.
(b) In the forest.
(c) Out in the field.
(d) In the stables.
4. How many rubles does Tevye come home with, after saving the two women from the forest?
(a) 137 rubles.
(b) 37 rubles.
(c) 3 rubles.
(d) 53 rubles.
5. Who is Gorky?
(a) A revered Rabbi.
(b) The current prime minister.
(c) An important literary figure.
(d) The leader of the revolutionary movement.
6. When Tevye returns from his meeting with Layzar, how does Golde initially react?
(a) She is angry at him for being drunk.
(b) She ignores Tevye as she is busy cooking.
(c) She is excited about that Tevye has become friends with Layzar.
(d) She asleep when he gets home and won't wake to hear his news.
7. How does Golde feel about Peppercorn's marriage to Tevye's daugher Hodl?
(a) She likes Peppercorn and is pleased with the match.
(b) She is indifferent to the match.
(c) She refuses to acknowledge the wedding and mourns Hodl as dead.
(d) She is stunned that Tevye has allowed it.
8. What relationship do the saleswoman and the salesman on the train have in the Competitors?
(a) They are married.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They are neighbors.
(d) They are brother and sister.
9. How much money does Kivke request when he has been cheated by his father-in-law?
(a) 400 rubles.
(b) 100 rubles.
(c) 600 rubles.
(d) 200 rubles.
10. What does Golde suggest that Tevye do in order to get the Priest to allow him to see Chava?
(a) She wants Tevye to pretend to be interested in Christianity.
(b) She wants Tevye to bribe the Priest with money.
(c) She thinks Tevye should intimidate the Priest and threaten to harm him.
(d) She thinks he should throw himself at the Priest's feet and beg for pity.
11. How much money does Kivke request from Kaminka for a dowry?
(a) 200 rubles.
(b) 400 rubles.
(c) 1000 rubles.
(d) 100 rubles.
12. How does Tevye find Mendl in Yehpuetz?
(a) He asks around get is told his whereabouts.
(b) He goes to Mendl's mother-in-law and find him there.
(c) He runs into him by chance at the market.
(d) He waits at Mendl's favorite bar until he arrives.
13. What is the name of the secret police spy who informed on so many revolutionaries that is being discussed at Baranovich Station?
14. What is wrong with Itzikl Borodenko's daughter in The Happiest Man in All Kodny?
(a) She has poisoned herself after being jilted.
(b) She has frequent dizzy spells.
(c) She has a severe chest cough.
(d) She is losing vision in her right eye.
15. What is Chvedka's profession?
(a) He is a scribe.
(b) He is a soldier.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a delivery boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mendl hide Tevye's money so that no one would steal it from him on his journey?
2. What question about Mendle does Tevye ask Golde after he leaves their home?
3. Why does Tevye's wagon run into a tree on the way to Yehpuetz in Tevye Blows a Small Fortune?
4. What causes the saleswoman to sit down on her basket and cry into her shawl?
5. What was Kivke sentenced to run the gauntlet?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)