Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is not one of the items mentioned as wares of the salespeople in The Competitors?
(b) Hard-boiled eggs.
(c) Black cherries.
(d) Dried figs.
2. What is wrong with Itzikl Borodenko's daughter in The Happiest Man in All Kodny?
(a) She has frequent dizzy spells.
(b) She has a severe chest cough.
(c) She has poisoned herself after being jilted.
(d) She is losing vision in her right eye.
3. Why is there a sudden influx in the population of Boiberik in Shprintze?
(a) Many Jews have been forcefully relocated to Boiberik.
(b) Many Jews are moving to Boiberik for economic opportunities.
(c) Rich Jews are fleeing the city to escape riots and pogroms.
(d) There is a cholera infestation in Odessa driving people to Boiberik.
4. How much money does Menachem Mendl want Tevye to invest in the stocks in Chapter 2?
(a) 50 rubles.
(b) 600 rubles.
(c) 300 rubles.
(d) 100 rubles.
5. Why is Tevye expelled from the village in Lekh-Lekho?
(a) It has been found out that his son-in-law Peppercorn is a revolutionary.
(b) His neighbors want to seize his land.
(c) The provinical governor has ordered all Jews to be expelled.
(d) He is punished for not paying his taxes.
6. On what holiday does Hodl tell her father she is going away?
(a) Rosh Hoshanah.
(b) High Holy Days.
(c) Hoshana Rabbah.
7. What is the man from Lower Pereshchepena wearing?
(d) Army boots.
8. How many times does Tevye count his money before he gives it to Mendl?
(a) Seven Times.
(b) Three times.
9. What causes the saleswoman to sit down on her basket and cry into her shawl?
(a) The Jews mock her and call her a beauty queen.
(b) She is insulted by a goy.
(c) Her basket is overturned and her merchandise spoiled.
(d) She finds out that her husband has died.
10. What is Chvedka's profession?
(a) He is a delivery boy.
(b) He is a soldier.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a scribe.
11. After the conversation with the other two Jews, what does the man from Pereshchepena do?
(a) He eats his breakfast.
(b) He reads his prayer book.
(c) He smokes a cigarette.
(d) He goes back to sleep.
12. How does Tevye find Mendl in Yehpuetz?
(a) He runs into him by chance at the market.
(b) He goes to Mendl's mother-in-law and find him there.
(c) He waits at Mendl's favorite bar until he arrives.
(d) He asks around get is told his whereabouts.
13. What request does Tevye make from Pan Sholem Aleichem at the end of Tevye Strikes It Rich?
(a) He asks for his story to be shared with his wife.
(b) He asks not to be included in one of his books.
(c) He asks for Pan Sholem to send news of his health.
(d) He asks for Pan Sholem to bring him a gift.
14. What year does Tevye record it as being at the end of Hodl?
15. What question about Mendle does Tevye ask Golde after he leaves their home?
(a) Tevye asks if she knows what Mendl does for a living.
(b) Tevye asks if Mendl has any children.
(c) Tevye asks how old Mendl is.
(d) Tevye asks is Mendl was popular as a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Golde suggest that Tevye do in order to get the Priest to allow him to see Chava?
2. Why do Beilke and Podhotzur leave for America?
3. Who does Tevye blame primarily for the loss of his small fortune?
4. What class does the narrator generally take when he goes by trains?
5. What relationship do the saleswoman and the salesman on the train have in the Competitors?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)