|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the town the two women are trying to get to?
2. Who is Gorky?
(a) The leader of the revolutionary movement.
(b) The current prime minister.
(c) A revered Rabbi.
(d) An important literary figure.
3. What is the name of Borodenko's village?
4. Which is not one of the towns listed in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
5. What is Chvedka's profession?
(a) He is a soldier.
(b) He is a delivery boy.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a scribe.
6. What is Peppercorn studying for?
(a) University Entrance Exams.
(b) He is studying to become a doctor.
(c) Civil Servant Exams.
(d) He is studying to become a lawyer.
7. What was Kivke sentenced to run the gauntlet?
(a) For arguing religion.
(b) For failing to pay his head tax.
(c) For stealing vodka.
(d) For trying to escape the draft.
8. According to Tevye, what is a "dog's age ago"?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 10-15 years.
(d) 9-10 years.
9. What items are Podhotzur's house full of?
(a) Paintings and books.
(b) Clocks and mirrors.
(c) Sculptures and vases.
(d) Stuffed animals and skeletons.
10. What happens to Tevye when he stops to pray in the evening after hauling logs all day?
(a) It begins to rain on him.
(b) He finds a ruble on the ground.
(c) His horse decides to run off.
(d) He hears a woman crying.
11. Why does Tevye's wagon run into a tree on the way to Yehpuetz in Tevye Blows a Small Fortune?
(a) He falls asleep driving.
(b) A rodent crosses the road and frightens his horse.
(c) The axel breaks.
(d) His horse smells something and darts after it.
12. Why is Tevye expelled from the village in Lekh-Lekho?
(a) His neighbors want to seize his land.
(b) The provinical governor has ordered all Jews to be expelled.
(c) He is punished for not paying his taxes.
(d) It has been found out that his son-in-law Peppercorn is a revolutionary.
13. Why does Tevye think that Yankl should be fired as sexton of the Burial Society?
(a) He thinks a humbler man should have the job.
(b) He thinks Yankl steals from the graves.
(c) He thinks it is beneath Yankl's station.
(d) He thinks its unfair he eats and drinks at the public's expense.
14. What is the name of the happy man from Kodny?
15. Where doe Beilke and Podhotzur go on their honeymoon?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the saleswoman to sit down on her basket and cry into her shawl?
2. How much money does Kivke request when he has been cheated by his father-in-law?
3. What gift does the old woman offer to Tevye for bring her back to the dacha?
4. According to the narrator in The Happiest Man in All Kodny, when is the best time to travel by train?
5. Who does Tevye blame primarily for the loss of his small fortune?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)