|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Gorky?
(a) The current prime minister.
(b) The leader of the revolutionary movement.
(c) An important literary figure.
(d) A revered Rabbi.
2. How does Golde feel about Peppercorn's marriage to Tevye's daugher Hodl?
(a) She is stunned that Tevye has allowed it.
(b) She likes Peppercorn and is pleased with the match.
(c) She refuses to acknowledge the wedding and mourns Hodl as dead.
(d) She is indifferent to the match.
3. How many rubles does Tevye come home with, after saving the two women from the forest?
(a) 137 rubles.
(b) 3 rubles.
(c) 53 rubles.
(d) 37 rubles.
4. According to Tevye, what is a "dog's age ago"?
(a) 9-10 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 10-15 years.
(d) 5 years.
5. Where does Mendl hide Tevye's money so that no one would steal it from him on his journey?
(a) He hides it in his shoe.
(b) He ties it to his belt.
(c) He puts it in his hat.
(d) He sews it into his breast pocket.
6. Why does Tevye think that Podhotzur has summoned him to his house after his marriage to Beilke?
(a) He thinks Podhotzur will ask him to move in.
(b) He thinks Podhotzur will offer him a job.
(c) He thinks Podhotzur wants to send him abroad.
(d) He thinks Podhotzur wants to give him a gift.
7. Where doe Beilke and Podhotzur go on their honeymoon?
8. How much money does Kivke request from Kaminka for a dowry?
(a) 400 rubles.
(b) 1000 rubles.
(c) 200 rubles.
(d) 100 rubles.
9. What question about Mendle does Tevye ask Golde after he leaves their home?
(a) Tevye asks is Mendl was popular as a child.
(b) Tevye asks how old Mendl is.
(c) Tevye asks if Mendl has any children.
(d) Tevye asks if she knows what Mendl does for a living.
10. Who does Tevye sell his house to?
(a) He is unable to sell his house.
(b) Chava and Chevdka.
(c) Mendel Beilis.
(d) Ivan Paparilo.
11. What is Peppercorn studying for?
(a) He is studying to become a doctor.
(b) University Entrance Exams.
(c) Civil Servant Exams.
(d) He is studying to become a lawyer.
12. Which is not one of the towns listed in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
13. What does Golde suggest that Tevye do in order to get the Priest to allow him to see Chava?
(a) She wants Tevye to bribe the Priest with money.
(b) She wants Tevye to pretend to be interested in Christianity.
(c) She thinks he should throw himself at the Priest's feet and beg for pity.
(d) She thinks Tevye should intimidate the Priest and threaten to harm him.
14. How much did Tevye get paid to drag logs from the forest to the train station every day?
(a) Half a ruble a day.
(b) One ruble a week.
(c) Three rubles a day.
(d) One ruble a day.
15. What does Tevye take with him when he goes to Yehupetz to look for Mendl?
(a) His daughter.
(b) Dairy merchandise.
(c) The contract he signed with Mendl.
(d) A gift for Mendl.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Menachem Mendl want Tevye to invest in the stocks in Chapter 2?
2. Who wrote a letter for the happy man from Kodny to take to the professor?
3. What is the name of Borodenko's village?
4. What causes the saleswoman to sit down on her basket and cry into her shawl?
5. What is the name of the coachman who took Kivke to Germany?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)