|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year does Tevye record it as being at the end of Hodl?
2. How much money does Kivke request from Kaminka for a dowry?
(a) 400 rubles.
(b) 1000 rubles.
(c) 100 rubles.
(d) 200 rubles.
3. What was Kivke sentenced to run the gauntlet?
(a) For stealing vodka.
(b) For arguing religion.
(c) For trying to escape the draft.
(d) For failing to pay his head tax.
4. When Tevye returns from his meeting with Layzar, how does Golde initially react?
(a) She asleep when he gets home and won't wake to hear his news.
(b) She is excited about that Tevye has become friends with Layzar.
(c) She ignores Tevye as she is busy cooking.
(d) She is angry at him for being drunk.
5. What do Tevye and Layzar drink during their meeting in Today's Children?
(b) Only water.
6. What do Tevye's Christian neighbors call him?
7. What is the profession of Motl Komzoyl, who Tsaytl want to marry?
(a) He is a carpenter.
(b) He owns a store.
(c) He is a tailor.
(d) He is a soldier.
8. How does Beilke feel about Podhotzur before their marriage?
(a) She is in love with him.
(b) She does not really like him.
(c) She respects him, but doesn't really know him.
(d) She is afraid of him.
9. What does Shprintze ultimately do after she is heartbroken by Ahronchik?
(a) She decides to remain at home forever, helping her parents.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) She marries another man, whom she does not love.
(d) She falls in love with another man.
10. Where doe Beilke and Podhotzur go on their honeymoon?
11. How does Beilke react when Tevye tells her that he is leaving for Palestine?
(a) She is happy for Tevye and congratulates him.
(b) She is indifferent to his announcement.
(c) She weeps and cannot be comforted.
(d) She is angry and yells at Tevye.
12. Why does Tevye go to see Layzar Wolf in Today's Children?
(a) He thinks Layzar wants to buy his brown cow.
(b) It is a social call, as Layzar and Tevye are friends.
(c) He wants to arrange a marriage with Layzar and his daughter.
(d) Layzar has ordered some dairy goods from him.
13. Where does Tevye find his horse after he has eaten dinner at the rich man's dacha?
(a) In the forest.
(b) In the stables.
(c) Out in the field.
(d) In the pond.
14. Which is not one of the items mentioned as wares of the salespeople in The Competitors?
(a) Hard-boiled eggs.
(b) Black cherries.
(c) Dried figs.
15. Who wrote a letter for the happy man from Kodny to take to the professor?
(a) His son.
(b) His wife.
(c) The wealthy manor owners.
(d) His rabbi.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days do Tevye and Golde mourn Chava when they realize she isn't coming home?
2. How many times does Tevye count his money before he gives it to Mendl?
3. What request does Tevye make from Pan Sholem Aleichem at the end of Tevye Strikes It Rich?
4. What happens to Tevye the day after his meeting with Layzar that he sees as a bad omen?
5. How many rubles does Tevye come home with, after saving the two women from the forest?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)