|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Tevye related to Menachem Mendl?
(a) They are third cousins.
(b) Mendl is his nephew.
(c) Mendl is married to his first cousin.
(d) They are first cousins.
2. What gift does the old woman offer to Tevye for bring her back to the dacha?
(a) 18 rubles.
(b) A milk cow.
(c) A goat.
(d) A new coat.
3. What is the man from Lower Pereshchepena wearing?
(a) Army boots.
4. Who does Tevye blame primarily for the loss of his small fortune?
(b) The unfair market.
(c) The Csar.
5. When Tevye meets the two women in the forest, which is not one of the things he offers to sell them?
(a) Some fine hunger pains.
(b) A head full of scrambled brains.
(c) A week's supply of heartache.
(d) Tears to feel a soup bowl.
6. Why does Tevye envy the young man Yisro-eyl?
(a) He was given a large inheritance.
(b) He has several sons.
(c) His wife came with a dowry.
(d) He has a swell job.
7. Which is not one of the items mentioned as wares of the salespeople in The Competitors?
(a) Dried figs.
(c) Hard-boiled eggs.
(d) Black cherries.
8. Why does Tevye think that Yankl should be fired as sexton of the Burial Society?
(a) He thinks its unfair he eats and drinks at the public's expense.
(b) He thinks a humbler man should have the job.
(c) He thinks it is beneath Yankl's station.
(d) He thinks Yankl steals from the graves.
9. Where did the happy man from Kodny get his rubles to offer the professor?
(a) They are his entire savings.
(b) From his wife.
(c) From the wealthy manor owners.
(d) From his rabbi.
10. Which is not one of the towns listed in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
11. Where does Hodl go at the end of the chapter Hodl?
(a) She refuses to tell Tevye where she is going.
(b) She moves in with an aunt at Yehuputz.
(c) She goes away to the university.
(d) She goes to join Peppercorn in Siberia.
12. What items are Podhotzur's house full of?
(a) Paintings and books.
(b) Clocks and mirrors.
(c) Sculptures and vases.
(d) Stuffed animals and skeletons.
13. What do Tevye and his wife decide to buy with their reward from the rich Jew?
(a) A milk cow.
(b) A plot of land.
(c) A new wagon.
(d) A horse.
14. How much money does Kivke request when he has been cheated by his father-in-law?
(a) 600 rubles.
(b) 400 rubles.
(c) 100 rubles.
(d) 200 rubles.
15. What class does the narrator generally take when he goes by trains?
(a) Third class.
(b) It is unknown.
(c) First class.
(d) Second class.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Kivke request from Kaminka for a dowry?
2. What is the name of the secret police spy who informed on so many revolutionaries that is being discussed at Baranovich Station?
3. What service does Peppercorn give to Tevye in exchange for a hot meal?
4. Who wrote a letter for the happy man from Kodny to take to the professor?
5. Where is Ahronchik and his mother from?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)