|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Golde prepare for Ahronchik and his friend on their visit over the holiday to Tevye's house?
(a) She refuses to make anything because it is the holiday.
2. What do Tevye and his wife decide to buy with their reward from the rich Jew?
(a) A plot of land.
(b) A new wagon.
(c) A milk cow.
(d) A horse.
3. What does Shprintze call Ahronchik?
4. What question about Mendle does Tevye ask Golde after he leaves their home?
(a) Tevye asks is Mendl was popular as a child.
(b) Tevye asks if Mendl has any children.
(c) Tevye asks if she knows what Mendl does for a living.
(d) Tevye asks how old Mendl is.
5. How much money does Kivke request from Kaminka for a dowry?
(a) 1000 rubles.
(b) 400 rubles.
(c) 100 rubles.
(d) 200 rubles.
6. How was Chvedka educated?
(a) He is self-taught.
(b) He attending a University in Odessa.
(c) He had private tutors growing up.
(d) He was educated abroad in Germany.
7. What do Tevye's Christian neighbors call him?
8. Why is Chava in the priest's custody?
(a) She has agreed to marry a Christian.
(b) She is being punished for vandalizing the church.
(c) She wants to become a nun.
(d) Tevye has asked the priest to help educate her.
9. What does Tevye do when he meets Chava in the forest after her marriage?
(a) He gives her some money as a wedding gift.
(b) He refuses to speak to her and leaves the scene.
(c) He listens to her, but refuses to forgive her.
(d) He forgives her, but tells her she is unwelcome at home.
10. How much did Tevye get paid to drag logs from the forest to the train station every day?
(a) Three rubles a day.
(b) Half a ruble a day.
(c) One ruble a week.
(d) One ruble a day.
11. What do Tevye and Layzar drink during their meeting in Today's Children?
(d) Only water.
12. How does Reb Nissl help Kivke avoid running the gauntlet?
(a) He arranges to have him declared dead.
(b) He bribes officials to let him off with a three ruble fine.
(c) He gets him pardoned with the governor.
(d) He finds a man willing to switch places with Kivke.
13. Who wrote a letter for the happy man from Kodny to take to the professor?
(a) His son.
(b) The wealthy manor owners.
(c) His wife.
(d) His rabbi.
14. When Tevye meets the two women in the forest, which is not one of the things he offers to sell them?
(a) A week's supply of heartache.
(b) A head full of scrambled brains.
(c) Some fine hunger pains.
(d) Tears to feel a soup bowl.
15. What gift does the old woman offer to Tevye for bring her back to the dacha?
(a) A goat.
(b) A new coat.
(c) 18 rubles.
(d) A milk cow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ahronchik and his mother from?
2. Why does Tevye think that Yankl should be fired as sexton of the Burial Society?
3. What is the name of Borodenko's village?
4. What dishes of Golde's does Tevye call "heaven on earth?"
5. What items are Podhotzur's house full of?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)