|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the long-haired messenger tell Hodl?
(a) He tells her Peppercorn has died.
(b) He tells her Peppercorn is in jail.
(c) He tells her Peppercorn has left her for another woman.
(d) He tells her Peppercorn has been injured.
2. Where is Ahronchik and his mother from?
3. Where does Hodl go at the end of the chapter Hodl?
(a) She refuses to tell Tevye where she is going.
(b) She moves in with an aunt at Yehuputz.
(c) She goes away to the university.
(d) She goes to join Peppercorn in Siberia.
4. What happens to Tevye the day after his meeting with Layzar that he sees as a bad omen?
(a) He gets the stomach flu.
(b) He injures his hand.
(c) His cart overturns.
(d) His cow dies.
5. What items are Podhotzur's house full of?
(a) Sculptures and vases.
(b) Paintings and books.
(c) Clocks and mirrors.
(d) Stuffed animals and skeletons.
6. Why does Tevye's wagon run into a tree on the way to Yehpuetz in Tevye Blows a Small Fortune?
(a) He falls asleep driving.
(b) A rodent crosses the road and frightens his horse.
(c) The axel breaks.
(d) His horse smells something and darts after it.
7. Who is Gorky?
(a) An important literary figure.
(b) A revered Rabbi.
(c) The current prime minister.
(d) The leader of the revolutionary movement.
8. What does Golde prepare for Ahronchik and his friend on their visit over the holiday to Tevye's house?
(d) She refuses to make anything because it is the holiday.
9. What do Tevye and his wife decide to buy with their reward from the rich Jew?
(a) A milk cow.
(b) A new wagon.
(c) A plot of land.
(d) A horse.
10. Why is Chava in the priest's custody?
(a) She has agreed to marry a Christian.
(b) She is being punished for vandalizing the church.
(c) Tevye has asked the priest to help educate her.
(d) She wants to become a nun.
11. What causes the saleswoman to sit down on her basket and cry into her shawl?
(a) She is insulted by a goy.
(b) Her basket is overturned and her merchandise spoiled.
(c) She finds out that her husband has died.
(d) The Jews mock her and call her a beauty queen.
12. What is the man from Lower Pereshchepena wearing?
(b) Army boots.
13. How much money does Kivke request from Kaminka for a dowry?
(a) 1000 rubles.
(b) 400 rubles.
(c) 100 rubles.
(d) 200 rubles.
14. What is the name of the coachman who took Kivke to Germany?
15. Why do Beilke and Podhotzur leave for America?
(a) They go broke and flee their creditors.
(b) Podhotzur has family there and wants to live in New York.
(c) Podhotzur establishes a great business there.
(d) They leave to escape the riots.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tevye envy the young man Yisro-eyl?
2. What request does Tevye make from Pan Sholem Aleichem at the end of Tevye Strikes It Rich?
3. Who takes care of Tevye after his wife, Golde dies?
4. How much money does Kivke request when he has been cheated by his father-in-law?
5. How many times does Tevye count his money before he gives it to Mendl?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)