|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Kivke request from Kaminka for a dowry?
(a) 200 rubles.
(b) 100 rubles.
(c) 1000 rubles.
(d) 400 rubles.
2. After losing his fortune, what is Tevye's hope for the future?
(a) He hopes to have his fund reinstated and continue in his exact station.
(b) He has no hope to ever become wealthy.
(c) He still hopes for better times and to become rich.
(d) He completely foreswares money and doesn't think about it anymore.
3. After the conversation with the other two Jews, what does the man from Pereshchepena do?
(a) He reads his prayer book.
(b) He goes back to sleep.
(c) He smokes a cigarette.
(d) He eats his breakfast.
4. What does Shprintze call Ahronchik?
5. Where did the happy man from Kodny get his rubles to offer the professor?
(a) They are his entire savings.
(b) From the wealthy manor owners.
(c) From his wife.
(d) From his rabbi.
6. What causes the saleswoman to sit down on her basket and cry into her shawl?
(a) She is insulted by a goy.
(b) She finds out that her husband has died.
(c) The Jews mock her and call her a beauty queen.
(d) Her basket is overturned and her merchandise spoiled.
7. What is Chvedka's profession?
(a) He is a soldier.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a delivery boy.
(d) He is a scribe.
8. What does Tevye take with him when he goes to Yehupetz to look for Mendl?
(a) A gift for Mendl.
(b) Dairy merchandise.
(c) His daughter.
(d) The contract he signed with Mendl.
9. Where doe Beilke and Podhotzur go on their honeymoon?
10. What does Tevye do when he meets Chava in the forest after her marriage?
(a) He gives her some money as a wedding gift.
(b) He forgives her, but tells her she is unwelcome at home.
(c) He refuses to speak to her and leaves the scene.
(d) He listens to her, but refuses to forgive her.
11. What does the long-haired messenger tell Hodl?
(a) He tells her Peppercorn has been injured.
(b) He tells her Peppercorn is in jail.
(c) He tells her Peppercorn has left her for another woman.
(d) He tells her Peppercorn has died.
12. Why does Tevye envy the young man Yisro-eyl?
(a) His wife came with a dowry.
(b) He has several sons.
(c) He has a swell job.
(d) He was given a large inheritance.
13. How is Tevye related to Menachem Mendl?
(a) Mendl is his nephew.
(b) They are third cousins.
(c) Mendl is married to his first cousin.
(d) They are first cousins.
14. What dishes of Golde's does Tevye call "heaven on earth?"
(a) Her pudding and poppy cakes.
(b) Her knishes and baclava.
(c) Her borscht.
(d) Her kreplach.
15. What are the two men discussing in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
(a) Restrictive school quotas for Jews.
(b) The pogroms against Jews in their town.
(c) The Head Tax on Jews.
(d) Conscription of Jews into the army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Golde suggest that Tevye do in order to get the Priest to allow him to see Chava?
2. What is the name of the coachman who took Kivke to Germany?
3. What year does Tevye record it as being at the end of Hodl?
4. What does Golde prepare for Ahronchik and his friend on their visit over the holiday to Tevye's house?
5. How many days do Tevye and Golde mourn Chava when they realize she isn't coming home?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)