|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote a letter for the happy man from Kodny to take to the professor?
(a) The wealthy manor owners.
(b) His rabbi.
(c) His son.
(d) His wife.
2. According to Tevye, what is a "dog's age ago"?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 9-10 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 10-15 years.
3. Why does the narrator choose to travel third class?
(a) Because he likes simple people.
(b) Because it is not as crowded.
(c) Because it is easier to get a ticket last minute.
(d) Because he likes saving money.
4. What does Tevye do when he meets Chava in the forest after her marriage?
(a) He forgives her, but tells her she is unwelcome at home.
(b) He listens to her, but refuses to forgive her.
(c) He gives her some money as a wedding gift.
(d) He refuses to speak to her and leaves the scene.
5. Which is not one of the towns listed in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
6. After losing his fortune, what is Tevye's hope for the future?
(a) He still hopes for better times and to become rich.
(b) He completely foreswares money and doesn't think about it anymore.
(c) He hopes to have his fund reinstated and continue in his exact station.
(d) He has no hope to ever become wealthy.
7. What are the two men discussing in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
(a) Restrictive school quotas for Jews.
(b) The pogroms against Jews in their town.
(c) Conscription of Jews into the army.
(d) The Head Tax on Jews.
8. Why does Tevye's wagon run into a tree on the way to Yehpuetz in Tevye Blows a Small Fortune?
(a) The axel breaks.
(b) He falls asleep driving.
(c) A rodent crosses the road and frightens his horse.
(d) His horse smells something and darts after it.
9. What is the name of the coachman who took Kivke to Germany?
10. What dishes of Golde's does Tevye call "heaven on earth?"
(a) Her borscht.
(b) Her knishes and baclava.
(c) Her kreplach.
(d) Her pudding and poppy cakes.
11. How much money does Kivke request when he has been cheated by his father-in-law?
(a) 400 rubles.
(b) 200 rubles.
(c) 600 rubles.
(d) 100 rubles.
12. What year does Tevye record it as being at the end of Hodl?
13. Why do Beilke and Podhotzur leave for America?
(a) Podhotzur establishes a great business there.
(b) They go broke and flee their creditors.
(c) Podhotzur has family there and wants to live in New York.
(d) They leave to escape the riots.
14. What request does Tevye make from Pan Sholem Aleichem at the end of Tevye Strikes It Rich?
(a) He asks for his story to be shared with his wife.
(b) He asks for Pan Sholem to bring him a gift.
(c) He asks not to be included in one of his books.
(d) He asks for Pan Sholem to send news of his health.
15. How much did Tevye get paid to drag logs from the forest to the train station every day?
(a) One ruble a week.
(b) One ruble a day.
(c) Half a ruble a day.
(d) Three rubles a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the happy man from Kodny get his rubles to offer the professor?
2. How many times does Tevye count his money before he gives it to Mendl?
3. Where does Tevye find his horse after he has eaten dinner at the rich man's dacha?
4. Why does Tevye envy the young man Yisro-eyl?
5. How much money does Menachem Mendl want Tevye to invest in the stocks in Chapter 2?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)