|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what holiday does Hodl tell her father she is going away?
(a) High Holy Days.
(c) Hoshana Rabbah.
(d) Rosh Hoshanah.
2. Who suggests Podhotzur as a spouse for Beilke?
(a) The matchmaker Efrayim.
(b) Golde does just before she dies.
(c) Podhotzur approaches Tevye himself.
(d) Motl does, as he is a client of his.
3. How does Beilke feel about Podhotzur before their marriage?
(a) She is in love with him.
(b) She does not really like him.
(c) She respects him, but doesn't really know him.
(d) She is afraid of him.
4. What question about Mendle does Tevye ask Golde after he leaves their home?
(a) Tevye asks how old Mendl is.
(b) Tevye asks is Mendl was popular as a child.
(c) Tevye asks if Mendl has any children.
(d) Tevye asks if she knows what Mendl does for a living.
5. What does Golde suggest that Tevye do in order to get the Priest to allow him to see Chava?
(a) She thinks Tevye should intimidate the Priest and threaten to harm him.
(b) She wants Tevye to bribe the Priest with money.
(c) She wants Tevye to pretend to be interested in Christianity.
(d) She thinks he should throw himself at the Priest's feet and beg for pity.
6. How does Tevye find Mendl in Yehpuetz?
(a) He goes to Mendl's mother-in-law and find him there.
(b) He waits at Mendl's favorite bar until he arrives.
(c) He asks around get is told his whereabouts.
(d) He runs into him by chance at the market.
7. What does Tevye do when he meets Chava in the forest after her marriage?
(a) He forgives her, but tells her she is unwelcome at home.
(b) He gives her some money as a wedding gift.
(c) He refuses to speak to her and leaves the scene.
(d) He listens to her, but refuses to forgive her.
8. Why does Tevye envy the young man Yisro-eyl?
(a) He was given a large inheritance.
(b) He has a swell job.
(c) His wife came with a dowry.
(d) He has several sons.
9. What is the name of the happy man from Kodny?
10. What does Shprintze call Ahronchik?
11. What was Kivke sentenced to run the gauntlet?
(a) For trying to escape the draft.
(b) For stealing vodka.
(c) For arguing religion.
(d) For failing to pay his head tax.
12. Which is not one of the towns listed in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
13. What is Peppercorn studying for?
(a) University Entrance Exams.
(b) Civil Servant Exams.
(c) He is studying to become a doctor.
(d) He is studying to become a lawyer.
14. Why is Chava in the priest's custody?
(a) She is being punished for vandalizing the church.
(b) She wants to become a nun.
(c) She has agreed to marry a Christian.
(d) Tevye has asked the priest to help educate her.
15. Of the two salespeople described in Competitors, who has the lowest prices?
(a) Both salespeople charge the exact same prices.
(b) The woman's prices are always lower.
(c) The man's prices are generally lower.
(d) It changes from day to day whose prices are lower.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mendl hide Tevye's money so that no one would steal it from him on his journey?
2. Who does Tevye blame primarily for the loss of his small fortune?
3. Why does Tevye think that Yankl should be fired as sexton of the Burial Society?
4. What is the name of the town the two women are trying to get to?
5. What request does Tevye make from Pan Sholem Aleichem at the end of Tevye Strikes It Rich?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)