|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does the old woman offer to Tevye for bring her back to the dacha?
(a) A goat.
(b) 18 rubles.
(c) A new coat.
(d) A milk cow.
2. Which is not one of the items mentioned as wares of the salespeople in The Competitors?
(b) Black cherries.
(c) Dried figs.
(d) Hard-boiled eggs.
3. Who takes care of Tevye after his wife, Golde dies?
(a) A hired housekeeper.
(b) His daughter Tsaytl.
(c) His daughter Beilke.
(d) His cousin.
4. How is Tevye related to Menachem Mendl?
(a) Mendl is married to his first cousin.
(b) They are third cousins.
(c) They are first cousins.
(d) Mendl is his nephew.
5. Why does Tevye envy the young man Yisro-eyl?
(a) He has several sons.
(b) He has a swell job.
(c) His wife came with a dowry.
(d) He was given a large inheritance.
6. What request does Tevye make from Pan Sholem Aleichem at the end of Tevye Strikes It Rich?
(a) He asks for Pan Sholem to send news of his health.
(b) He asks for his story to be shared with his wife.
(c) He asks for Pan Sholem to bring him a gift.
(d) He asks not to be included in one of his books.
7. What happens to Tevye the day after his meeting with Layzar that he sees as a bad omen?
(a) He injures his hand.
(b) He gets the stomach flu.
(c) His cart overturns.
(d) His cow dies.
8. How does Beilke feel about Podhotzur before their marriage?
(a) She is in love with him.
(b) She is afraid of him.
(c) She respects him, but doesn't really know him.
(d) She does not really like him.
9. Who suggests Podhotzur as a spouse for Beilke?
(a) Motl does, as he is a client of his.
(b) Golde does just before she dies.
(c) Podhotzur approaches Tevye himself.
(d) The matchmaker Efrayim.
10. According to Tevye, what is a "dog's age ago"?
(a) 10-15 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 9-10 years.
11. How many days do Tevye and Golde mourn Chava when they realize she isn't coming home?
12. Where does Mendl hide Tevye's money so that no one would steal it from him on his journey?
(a) He ties it to his belt.
(b) He sews it into his breast pocket.
(c) He puts it in his hat.
(d) He hides it in his shoe.
13. What is wrong with Itzikl Borodenko's daughter in The Happiest Man in All Kodny?
(a) She has frequent dizzy spells.
(b) She is losing vision in her right eye.
(c) She has poisoned herself after being jilted.
(d) She has a severe chest cough.
14. What items are Podhotzur's house full of?
(a) Clocks and mirrors.
(b) Stuffed animals and skeletons.
(c) Sculptures and vases.
(d) Paintings and books.
15. Why do Beilke and Podhotzur leave for America?
(a) They leave to escape the riots.
(b) They go broke and flee their creditors.
(c) Podhotzur has family there and wants to live in New York.
(d) Podhotzur establishes a great business there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tevye end up staying in Russia instead of going to the Holy Land?
2. Of the two salespeople described in Competitors, who has the lowest prices?
3. How much money does Kivke request from Kaminka for a dowry?
4. What is the name of the secret police spy who informed on so many revolutionaries that is being discussed at Baranovich Station?
5. How much money does the man from Kodny offer the professor to see his son?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)