|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Tevye and his wife decide to buy with their reward from the rich Jew?
(a) A milk cow.
(b) A horse.
(c) A plot of land.
(d) A new wagon.
2. Why does Tevye envy the young man Yisro-eyl?
(a) He was given a large inheritance.
(b) He has a swell job.
(c) His wife came with a dowry.
(d) He has several sons.
3. According to Tevye, what is a "dog's age ago"?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 9-10 years.
(d) 10-15 years.
4. How was Chvedka educated?
(a) He had private tutors growing up.
(b) He is self-taught.
(c) He was educated abroad in Germany.
(d) He attending a University in Odessa.
5. What are the two men discussing in Eighteen from Pereshchepena?
(a) Conscription of Jews into the army.
(b) Restrictive school quotas for Jews.
(c) The Head Tax on Jews.
(d) The pogroms against Jews in their town.
6. Who wrote a letter for the happy man from Kodny to take to the professor?
(a) His rabbi.
(b) His son.
(c) His wife.
(d) The wealthy manor owners.
7. What is the name of Borodenko's village?
8. Who does Tevye sell his house to?
(a) Mendel Beilis.
(b) Chava and Chevdka.
(c) Ivan Paparilo.
(d) He is unable to sell his house.
9. What class does the narrator generally take when he goes by trains?
(a) It is unknown.
(b) Second class.
(c) Third class.
(d) First class.
10. How is Tevye related to Menachem Mendl?
(a) Mendl is his nephew.
(b) Mendl is married to his first cousin.
(c) They are first cousins.
(d) They are third cousins.
11. What does Golde suggest that Tevye do in order to get the Priest to allow him to see Chava?
(a) She wants Tevye to bribe the Priest with money.
(b) She wants Tevye to pretend to be interested in Christianity.
(c) She thinks he should throw himself at the Priest's feet and beg for pity.
(d) She thinks Tevye should intimidate the Priest and threaten to harm him.
12. Why do Beilke and Podhotzur leave for America?
(a) They go broke and flee their creditors.
(b) They leave to escape the riots.
(c) Podhotzur establishes a great business there.
(d) Podhotzur has family there and wants to live in New York.
13. Who does Tevye blame primarily for the loss of his small fortune?
(a) The Csar.
(c) The unfair market.
14. Where does Hodl go at the end of the chapter Hodl?
(a) She goes away to the university.
(b) She moves in with an aunt at Yehuputz.
(c) She goes to join Peppercorn in Siberia.
(d) She refuses to tell Tevye where she is going.
15. How much money does Kivke request when he has been cheated by his father-in-law?
(a) 100 rubles.
(b) 600 rubles.
(c) 200 rubles.
(d) 400 rubles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of Motl Komzoyl, who Tsaytl want to marry?
2. What is the name of the town the two women are trying to get to?
3. What is the name of the coachman who took Kivke to Germany?
4. After losing his fortune, what is Tevye's hope for the future?
5. What relationship do the saleswoman and the salesman on the train have in the Competitors?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)