|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mendl hide Tevye's money so that no one would steal it from him on his journey?
(a) He ties it to his belt.
(b) He puts it in his hat.
(c) He hides it in his shoe.
(d) He sews it into his breast pocket.
2. How does Reb Nissl help Kivke avoid running the gauntlet?
(a) He arranges to have him declared dead.
(b) He bribes officials to let him off with a three ruble fine.
(c) He gets him pardoned with the governor.
(d) He finds a man willing to switch places with Kivke.
3. How was Chvedka educated?
(a) He is self-taught.
(b) He attending a University in Odessa.
(c) He was educated abroad in Germany.
(d) He had private tutors growing up.
4. What is the name of Borodenko's village?
5. What happens to Tevye when he stops to pray in the evening after hauling logs all day?
(a) It begins to rain on him.
(b) He finds a ruble on the ground.
(c) His horse decides to run off.
(d) He hears a woman crying.
6. Where doe Beilke and Podhotzur go on their honeymoon?
7. Why does the narrator choose to travel third class?
(a) Because he likes simple people.
(b) Because it is not as crowded.
(c) Because he likes saving money.
(d) Because it is easier to get a ticket last minute.
8. What request does Tevye make from Pan Sholem Aleichem at the end of Tevye Strikes It Rich?
(a) He asks for Pan Sholem to bring him a gift.
(b) He asks not to be included in one of his books.
(c) He asks for Pan Sholem to send news of his health.
(d) He asks for his story to be shared with his wife.
9. Who is Gorky?
(a) The leader of the revolutionary movement.
(b) The current prime minister.
(c) An important literary figure.
(d) A revered Rabbi.
10. What question about Mendle does Tevye ask Golde after he leaves their home?
(a) Tevye asks how old Mendl is.
(b) Tevye asks if Mendl has any children.
(c) Tevye asks is Mendl was popular as a child.
(d) Tevye asks if she knows what Mendl does for a living.
11. Why does Tevye think that Podhotzur has summoned him to his house after his marriage to Beilke?
(a) He thinks Podhotzur will offer him a job.
(b) He thinks Podhotzur wants to send him abroad.
(c) He thinks Podhotzur wants to give him a gift.
(d) He thinks Podhotzur will ask him to move in.
12. How much money does Kivke request when he has been cheated by his father-in-law?
(a) 200 rubles.
(b) 600 rubles.
(c) 100 rubles.
(d) 400 rubles.
13. Who wrote a letter for the happy man from Kodny to take to the professor?
(a) His wife.
(b) The wealthy manor owners.
(c) His son.
(d) His rabbi.
14. What service does Peppercorn give to Tevye in exchange for a hot meal?
(a) He helps Tevye pack his wagon.
(b) He repairs Tevye's roof.
(c) He keeps Tevye's books.
(d) He gives lessons to Tevye's daughters.
15. What dishes of Golde's does Tevye call "heaven on earth?"
(a) Her knishes and baclava.
(b) Her kreplach.
(c) Her borscht.
(d) Her pudding and poppy cakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Tevye the day after his meeting with Layzar that he sees as a bad omen?
2. What class does the narrator generally take when he goes by trains?
3. Why is there a sudden influx in the population of Boiberik in Shprintze?
4. What do Tevye and Layzar drink during their meeting in Today's Children?
5. When Tevye meets the two women in the forest, which is not one of the things he offers to sell them?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)