|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Tevye when he stops to pray in the evening after hauling logs all day?
(a) It begins to rain on him.
(b) His horse decides to run off.
(c) He finds a ruble on the ground.
(d) He hears a woman crying.
2. What is Chvedka's profession?
(a) He is a scribe.
(b) He is a soldier.
(c) He is a delivery boy.
(d) He is a farmer.
3. What is wrong with Itzikl Borodenko's daughter in The Happiest Man in All Kodny?
(a) She has poisoned herself after being jilted.
(b) She is losing vision in her right eye.
(c) She has frequent dizzy spells.
(d) She has a severe chest cough.
4. When Tevye meets the two women in the forest, which is not one of the things he offers to sell them?
(a) A week's supply of heartache.
(b) Some fine hunger pains.
(c) A head full of scrambled brains.
(d) Tears to feel a soup bowl.
5. How does Golde feel about Peppercorn's marriage to Tevye's daugher Hodl?
(a) She refuses to acknowledge the wedding and mourns Hodl as dead.
(b) She is stunned that Tevye has allowed it.
(c) She likes Peppercorn and is pleased with the match.
(d) She is indifferent to the match.
6. How much money does Kivke request when he has been cheated by his father-in-law?
(a) 200 rubles.
(b) 100 rubles.
(c) 400 rubles.
(d) 600 rubles.
7. According to the narrator in The Happiest Man in All Kodny, when is the best time to travel by train?
8. Who does Tevye blame primarily for the loss of his small fortune?
(b) The unfair market.
(d) The Csar.
9. Where doe Beilke and Podhotzur go on their honeymoon?
10. On what holiday does Hodl tell her father she is going away?
(a) High Holy Days.
(c) Hoshana Rabbah.
(d) Rosh Hoshanah.
11. What does Tevye do when he meets Chava in the forest after her marriage?
(a) He refuses to speak to her and leaves the scene.
(b) He forgives her, but tells her she is unwelcome at home.
(c) He gives her some money as a wedding gift.
(d) He listens to her, but refuses to forgive her.
12. What does Golde suggest that Tevye do in order to get the Priest to allow him to see Chava?
(a) She wants Tevye to bribe the Priest with money.
(b) She wants Tevye to pretend to be interested in Christianity.
(c) She thinks he should throw himself at the Priest's feet and beg for pity.
(d) She thinks Tevye should intimidate the Priest and threaten to harm him.
13. What is the name of the happy man from Kodny?
14. Why does Tevye think that Podhotzur has summoned him to his house after his marriage to Beilke?
(a) He thinks Podhotzur wants to give him a gift.
(b) He thinks Podhotzur will offer him a job.
(c) He thinks Podhotzur will ask him to move in.
(d) He thinks Podhotzur wants to send him abroad.
15. What does Shprintze ultimately do after she is heartbroken by Ahronchik?
(a) She marries another man, whom she does not love.
(b) She falls in love with another man.
(c) She commits suicide.
(d) She decides to remain at home forever, helping her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the two salespeople described in Competitors, who has the lowest prices?
2. What is the profession of Motl Komzoyl, who Tsaytl want to marry?
3. Why does Tevye end up staying in Russia instead of going to the Holy Land?
4. Who takes care of Tevye after his wife, Golde dies?
5. Why does Tevye think that Yankl should be fired as sexton of the Burial Society?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)