|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does the old woman offer to Tevye for bring her back to the dacha?
(a) A milk cow.
(b) 18 rubles.
(c) A new coat.
(d) A goat.
2. What does Golde suggest that Tevye do in order to get the Priest to allow him to see Chava?
(a) She wants Tevye to bribe the Priest with money.
(b) She thinks he should throw himself at the Priest's feet and beg for pity.
(c) She thinks Tevye should intimidate the Priest and threaten to harm him.
(d) She wants Tevye to pretend to be interested in Christianity.
3. Why does Tevye end up staying in Russia instead of going to the Holy Land?
(a) He becomes to sick to board the ship.
(b) Motl dies and he stays to help Tsaytl.
(c) He finds he does not have paper needed to travel abroad.
(d) He receives a note from Beilke asking him not to go.
4. Why does Tevye's wagon run into a tree on the way to Yehpuetz in Tevye Blows a Small Fortune?
(a) He falls asleep driving.
(b) A rodent crosses the road and frightens his horse.
(c) His horse smells something and darts after it.
(d) The axel breaks.
5. Which is not one of the items mentioned as wares of the salespeople in The Competitors?
(a) Black cherries.
(c) Dried figs.
(d) Hard-boiled eggs.
6. What do Tevye and Layzar drink during their meeting in Today's Children?
(a) Only water.
7. What do Tevye's Christian neighbors call him?
8. Why is Chava in the priest's custody?
(a) She is being punished for vandalizing the church.
(b) Tevye has asked the priest to help educate her.
(c) She has agreed to marry a Christian.
(d) She wants to become a nun.
9. Where does Mendl hide Tevye's money so that no one would steal it from him on his journey?
(a) He ties it to his belt.
(b) He sews it into his breast pocket.
(c) He hides it in his shoe.
(d) He puts it in his hat.
10. Who takes care of Tevye after his wife, Golde dies?
(a) A hired housekeeper.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His daughter Beilke.
(d) His daughter Tsaytl.
11. According to the narrator in The Happiest Man in All Kodny, when is the best time to travel by train?
12. How many times does Tevye count his money before he gives it to Mendl?
(b) Three times.
(c) Seven Times.
13. What is the name of Borodenko's village?
14. Where does Hodl go at the end of the chapter Hodl?
(a) She goes to join Peppercorn in Siberia.
(b) She goes away to the university.
(c) She refuses to tell Tevye where she is going.
(d) She moves in with an aunt at Yehuputz.
15. What request does Tevye make from Pan Sholem Aleichem at the end of Tevye Strikes It Rich?
(a) He asks for Pan Sholem to bring him a gift.
(b) He asks for Pan Sholem to send news of his health.
(c) He asks for his story to be shared with his wife.
(d) He asks not to be included in one of his books.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what holiday does Hodl tell her father she is going away?
2. Where is Ahronchik and his mother from?
3. How does Tevye find Mendl in Yehpuetz?
4. Why isn't the end of Kivke's story disclosed?
5. Who wrote a letter for the happy man from Kodny to take to the professor?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)