|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does the man from Kodny offer the professor to see his son?
(a) 32 rubles.
(b) 25 rubles.
(c) 300 rubles.
(d) 10 rubles.
2. How does Reb Nissl help Kivke avoid running the gauntlet?
(a) He bribes officials to let him off with a three ruble fine.
(b) He gets him pardoned with the governor.
(c) He arranges to have him declared dead.
(d) He finds a man willing to switch places with Kivke.
3. What do Tevye and Layzar drink during their meeting in Today's Children?
(b) Only water.
4. Where does Mendl hide Tevye's money so that no one would steal it from him on his journey?
(a) He hides it in his shoe.
(b) He ties it to his belt.
(c) He puts it in his hat.
(d) He sews it into his breast pocket.
5. What is the man from Lower Pereshchepena wearing?
(b) Army boots.
6. How does Tevye find Mendl in Yehpuetz?
(a) He goes to Mendl's mother-in-law and find him there.
(b) He asks around get is told his whereabouts.
(c) He runs into him by chance at the market.
(d) He waits at Mendl's favorite bar until he arrives.
7. Why is Chava in the priest's custody?
(a) Tevye has asked the priest to help educate her.
(b) She has agreed to marry a Christian.
(c) She wants to become a nun.
(d) She is being punished for vandalizing the church.
8. What does Golde suggest that Tevye do in order to get the Priest to allow him to see Chava?
(a) She thinks Tevye should intimidate the Priest and threaten to harm him.
(b) She wants Tevye to bribe the Priest with money.
(c) She wants Tevye to pretend to be interested in Christianity.
(d) She thinks he should throw himself at the Priest's feet and beg for pity.
9. What is Peppercorn studying for?
(a) Civil Servant Exams.
(b) He is studying to become a doctor.
(c) University Entrance Exams.
(d) He is studying to become a lawyer.
10. After losing his fortune, what is Tevye's hope for the future?
(a) He completely foreswares money and doesn't think about it anymore.
(b) He still hopes for better times and to become rich.
(c) He has no hope to ever become wealthy.
(d) He hopes to have his fund reinstated and continue in his exact station.
11. Why does Tevye think that Yankl should be fired as sexton of the Burial Society?
(a) He thinks Yankl steals from the graves.
(b) He thinks its unfair he eats and drinks at the public's expense.
(c) He thinks it is beneath Yankl's station.
(d) He thinks a humbler man should have the job.
12. Why does Tevye think that Podhotzur has summoned him to his house after his marriage to Beilke?
(a) He thinks Podhotzur wants to send him abroad.
(b) He thinks Podhotzur will offer him a job.
(c) He thinks Podhotzur will ask him to move in.
(d) He thinks Podhotzur wants to give him a gift.
13. What is wrong with Itzikl Borodenko's daughter in The Happiest Man in All Kodny?
(a) She has a severe chest cough.
(b) She has frequent dizzy spells.
(c) She is losing vision in her right eye.
(d) She has poisoned herself after being jilted.
14. What gift does the old woman offer to Tevye for bring her back to the dacha?
(a) A milk cow.
(b) 18 rubles.
(c) A goat.
(d) A new coat.
15. What is the name of the town the two women are trying to get to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the secret police spy who informed on so many revolutionaries that is being discussed at Baranovich Station?
2. Who is Gorky?
3. How much did Tevye get paid to drag logs from the forest to the train station every day?
4. Where doe Beilke and Podhotzur go on their honeymoon?
5. Who suggests Podhotzur as a spouse for Beilke?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)