|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what holiday does Hodl tell her father she is going away?
(b) Rosh Hoshanah.
(c) Hoshana Rabbah.
(d) High Holy Days.
2. Where does Hodl go at the end of the chapter Hodl?
(a) She goes to join Peppercorn in Siberia.
(b) She moves in with an aunt at Yehuputz.
(c) She goes away to the university.
(d) She refuses to tell Tevye where she is going.
3. What does Golde prepare for Ahronchik and his friend on their visit over the holiday to Tevye's house?
(b) She refuses to make anything because it is the holiday.
4. Why does Tevye's wagon run into a tree on the way to Yehpuetz in Tevye Blows a Small Fortune?
(a) He falls asleep driving.
(b) A rodent crosses the road and frightens his horse.
(c) His horse smells something and darts after it.
(d) The axel breaks.
5. Who wrote a letter for the happy man from Kodny to take to the professor?
(a) His rabbi.
(b) The wealthy manor owners.
(c) His wife.
(d) His son.
6. What gift does the old woman offer to Tevye for bring her back to the dacha?
(a) A new coat.
(b) 18 rubles.
(c) A goat.
(d) A milk cow.
7. What is the man from Lower Pereshchepena wearing?
(c) Army boots.
8. What does Tevye take with him when he goes to Yehupetz to look for Mendl?
(a) His daughter.
(b) A gift for Mendl.
(c) The contract he signed with Mendl.
(d) Dairy merchandise.
9. What do Tevye and his wife decide to buy with their reward from the rich Jew?
(a) A new wagon.
(b) A milk cow.
(c) A horse.
(d) A plot of land.
10. How does Beilke react when Tevye tells her that he is leaving for Palestine?
(a) She is angry and yells at Tevye.
(b) She is happy for Tevye and congratulates him.
(c) She is indifferent to his announcement.
(d) She weeps and cannot be comforted.
11. What happens to Tevye when he stops to pray in the evening after hauling logs all day?
(a) His horse decides to run off.
(b) He hears a woman crying.
(c) It begins to rain on him.
(d) He finds a ruble on the ground.
12. When Tevye returns from his meeting with Layzar, how does Golde initially react?
(a) She is excited about that Tevye has become friends with Layzar.
(b) She asleep when he gets home and won't wake to hear his news.
(c) She is angry at him for being drunk.
(d) She ignores Tevye as she is busy cooking.
13. What does Golde suggest that Tevye do in order to get the Priest to allow him to see Chava?
(a) She thinks he should throw himself at the Priest's feet and beg for pity.
(b) She wants Tevye to pretend to be interested in Christianity.
(c) She wants Tevye to bribe the Priest with money.
(d) She thinks Tevye should intimidate the Priest and threaten to harm him.
14. What is the name of Borodenko's village?
15. How does Beilke feel about Podhotzur before their marriage?
(a) She is in love with him.
(b) She respects him, but doesn't really know him.
(c) She does not really like him.
(d) She is afraid of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tevye think that Yankl should be fired as sexton of the Burial Society?
2. Why does Tevye end up staying in Russia instead of going to the Holy Land?
3. What is the name of the town the two women are trying to get to?
4. Who does Tevye sell his house to?
5. What is wrong with Itzikl Borodenko's daughter in The Happiest Man in All Kodny?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)