|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does the old woman offer to Tevye for bring her back to the dacha?
(a) 18 rubles.
(b) A new coat.
(c) A milk cow.
(d) A goat.
2. What do Tevye and Layzar drink during their meeting in Today's Children?
(a) Only water.
3. Who wrote a letter for the happy man from Kodny to take to the professor?
(a) His son.
(b) His rabbi.
(c) The wealthy manor owners.
(d) His wife.
4. When Tevye meets the two women in the forest, which is not one of the things he offers to sell them?
(a) A head full of scrambled brains.
(b) A week's supply of heartache.
(c) Some fine hunger pains.
(d) Tears to feel a soup bowl.
5. What is the name of Borodenko's village?
6. Who does Tevye blame primarily for the loss of his small fortune?
(b) The Csar.
(d) The unfair market.
7. Why is Tevye expelled from the village in Lekh-Lekho?
(a) It has been found out that his son-in-law Peppercorn is a revolutionary.
(b) His neighbors want to seize his land.
(c) The provinical governor has ordered all Jews to be expelled.
(d) He is punished for not paying his taxes.
8. Where does Hodl go at the end of the chapter Hodl?
(a) She refuses to tell Tevye where she is going.
(b) She goes to join Peppercorn in Siberia.
(c) She moves in with an aunt at Yehuputz.
(d) She goes away to the university.
9. What does the long-haired messenger tell Hodl?
(a) He tells her Peppercorn has died.
(b) He tells her Peppercorn has been injured.
(c) He tells her Peppercorn is in jail.
(d) He tells her Peppercorn has left her for another woman.
10. How was Chvedka educated?
(a) He attending a University in Odessa.
(b) He was educated abroad in Germany.
(c) He had private tutors growing up.
(d) He is self-taught.
11. After losing his fortune, what is Tevye's hope for the future?
(a) He has no hope to ever become wealthy.
(b) He still hopes for better times and to become rich.
(c) He completely foreswares money and doesn't think about it anymore.
(d) He hopes to have his fund reinstated and continue in his exact station.
12. What does Shprintze ultimately do after she is heartbroken by Ahronchik?
(a) She commits suicide.
(b) She marries another man, whom she does not love.
(c) She decides to remain at home forever, helping her parents.
(d) She falls in love with another man.
13. What service does Peppercorn give to Tevye in exchange for a hot meal?
(a) He repairs Tevye's roof.
(b) He helps Tevye pack his wagon.
(c) He gives lessons to Tevye's daughters.
(d) He keeps Tevye's books.
14. Why is there a sudden influx in the population of Boiberik in Shprintze?
(a) Many Jews have been forcefully relocated to Boiberik.
(b) Many Jews are moving to Boiberik for economic opportunities.
(c) There is a cholera infestation in Odessa driving people to Boiberik.
(d) Rich Jews are fleeing the city to escape riots and pogroms.
15. What is wrong with Itzikl Borodenko's daughter in The Happiest Man in All Kodny?
(a) She has poisoned herself after being jilted.
(b) She has a severe chest cough.
(c) She has frequent dizzy spells.
(d) She is losing vision in her right eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Tevye count his money before he gives it to Mendl?
2. What question about Mendle does Tevye ask Golde after he leaves their home?
3. Who takes care of Tevye after his wife, Golde dies?
4. How does Reb Nissl help Kivke avoid running the gauntlet?
5. What is the name of the happy man from Kodny?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)