|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator choose to travel third class?
(a) Because it is easier to get a ticket last minute.
(b) Because he likes saving money.
(c) Because he likes simple people.
(d) Because it is not as crowded.
2. What is the profession of Motl Komzoyl, who Tsaytl want to marry?
(a) He is a soldier.
(b) He is a carpenter.
(c) He is a tailor.
(d) He owns a store.
3. What service does Peppercorn give to Tevye in exchange for a hot meal?
(a) He keeps Tevye's books.
(b) He helps Tevye pack his wagon.
(c) He repairs Tevye's roof.
(d) He gives lessons to Tevye's daughters.
4. How does Beilke react when Tevye tells her that he is leaving for Palestine?
(a) She is angry and yells at Tevye.
(b) She weeps and cannot be comforted.
(c) She is happy for Tevye and congratulates him.
(d) She is indifferent to his announcement.
5. What items are Podhotzur's house full of?
(a) Clocks and mirrors.
(b) Paintings and books.
(c) Stuffed animals and skeletons.
(d) Sculptures and vases.
6. Who does Golde have a dream about in Tevye Strikes It Rich that foreshadowed the milk cow Tevye was to receive?
(a) Her Aunt Chaika.
(b) Her brother Kivke.
(c) The Rabbi.
(d) Her Grandmother Tsaytl.
7. Why does Tevye envy the young man Yisro-eyl?
(a) He was given a large inheritance.
(b) He has a swell job.
(c) He has several sons.
(d) His wife came with a dowry.
8. What is Chvedka's profession?
(a) He is a farmer.
(b) He is a soldier.
(c) He is a scribe.
(d) He is a delivery boy.
9. What request does Tevye make from Pan Sholem Aleichem at the end of Tevye Strikes It Rich?
(a) He asks for Pan Sholem to bring him a gift.
(b) He asks not to be included in one of his books.
(c) He asks for his story to be shared with his wife.
(d) He asks for Pan Sholem to send news of his health.
10. When Tevye meets the two women in the forest, which is not one of the things he offers to sell them?
(a) Tears to feel a soup bowl.
(b) A head full of scrambled brains.
(c) A week's supply of heartache.
(d) Some fine hunger pains.
11. How many times does Tevye count his money before he gives it to Mendl?
(b) Seven Times.
(c) Three times.
12. What is the name of Borodenko's village?
13. What is the name of the coachman who took Kivke to Germany?
14. How does Golde feel about Peppercorn's marriage to Tevye's daugher Hodl?
(a) She refuses to acknowledge the wedding and mourns Hodl as dead.
(b) She is indifferent to the match.
(c) She is stunned that Tevye has allowed it.
(d) She likes Peppercorn and is pleased with the match.
15. Where does Hodl go at the end of the chapter Hodl?
(a) She goes away to the university.
(b) She refuses to tell Tevye where she is going.
(c) She goes to join Peppercorn in Siberia.
(d) She moves in with an aunt at Yehuputz.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question about Mendle does Tevye ask Golde after he leaves their home?
2. According to Tevye, what is a "dog's age ago"?
3. What is the man from Lower Pereshchepena wearing?
4. Why isn't the end of Kivke's story disclosed?
5. What is the name of the town the two women are trying to get to?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)