|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Kivke request from Kaminka for a dowry?
(a) 400 rubles.
(b) 200 rubles.
(c) 100 rubles.
(d) 1000 rubles.
2. What gift does the old woman offer to Tevye for bring her back to the dacha?
(a) 18 rubles.
(b) A milk cow.
(c) A goat.
(d) A new coat.
3. What do Tevye and Layzar drink during their meeting in Today's Children?
(c) Only water.
4. How much money does Kivke request when he has been cheated by his father-in-law?
(a) 600 rubles.
(b) 100 rubles.
(c) 200 rubles.
(d) 400 rubles.
5. Where does Tevye find his horse after he has eaten dinner at the rich man's dacha?
(a) In the stables.
(b) In the pond.
(c) Out in the field.
(d) In the forest.
6. How much did Tevye get paid to drag logs from the forest to the train station every day?
(a) One ruble a day.
(b) Three rubles a day.
(c) One ruble a week.
(d) Half a ruble a day.
7. How is Tevye related to Menachem Mendl?
(a) Mendl is married to his first cousin.
(b) They are first cousins.
(c) Mendl is his nephew.
(d) They are third cousins.
8. Why is Tevye expelled from the village in Lekh-Lekho?
(a) The provinical governor has ordered all Jews to be expelled.
(b) He is punished for not paying his taxes.
(c) It has been found out that his son-in-law Peppercorn is a revolutionary.
(d) His neighbors want to seize his land.
9. Who does Tevye sell his house to?
(a) Chava and Chevdka.
(b) Ivan Paparilo.
(c) He is unable to sell his house.
(d) Mendel Beilis.
10. What does Tevye do when he meets Chava in the forest after her marriage?
(a) He gives her some money as a wedding gift.
(b) He listens to her, but refuses to forgive her.
(c) He refuses to speak to her and leaves the scene.
(d) He forgives her, but tells her she is unwelcome at home.
11. After losing his fortune, what is Tevye's hope for the future?
(a) He still hopes for better times and to become rich.
(b) He completely foreswares money and doesn't think about it anymore.
(c) He has no hope to ever become wealthy.
(d) He hopes to have his fund reinstated and continue in his exact station.
12. What does Golde prepare for Ahronchik and his friend on their visit over the holiday to Tevye's house?
(a) She refuses to make anything because it is the holiday.
13. What does Shprintze ultimately do after she is heartbroken by Ahronchik?
(a) She commits suicide.
(b) She falls in love with another man.
(c) She decides to remain at home forever, helping her parents.
(d) She marries another man, whom she does not love.
14. What happens to Tevye when he stops to pray in the evening after hauling logs all day?
(a) His horse decides to run off.
(b) He finds a ruble on the ground.
(c) He hears a woman crying.
(d) It begins to rain on him.
15. What do Tevye's Christian neighbors call him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is there a sudden influx in the population of Boiberik in Shprintze?
2. What relationship do the saleswoman and the salesman on the train have in the Competitors?
3. Why does the narrator choose to travel third class?
4. Why does Tevye end up staying in Russia instead of going to the Holy Land?
5. What request does Tevye make from Pan Sholem Aleichem at the end of Tevye Strikes It Rich?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)