|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Golde suggest that Tevye do in order to get the Priest to allow him to see Chava?
(a) She wants Tevye to bribe the Priest with money.
(b) She thinks he should throw himself at the Priest's feet and beg for pity.
(c) She thinks Tevye should intimidate the Priest and threaten to harm him.
(d) She wants Tevye to pretend to be interested in Christianity.
2. What does Tevye take with him when he goes to Yehupetz to look for Mendl?
(a) His daughter.
(b) Dairy merchandise.
(c) The contract he signed with Mendl.
(d) A gift for Mendl.
3. After the conversation with the other two Jews, what does the man from Pereshchepena do?
(a) He eats his breakfast.
(b) He smokes a cigarette.
(c) He goes back to sleep.
(d) He reads his prayer book.
4. How much money does Kivke request when he has been cheated by his father-in-law?
(a) 600 rubles.
(b) 400 rubles.
(c) 200 rubles.
(d) 100 rubles.
5. What dishes of Golde's does Tevye call "heaven on earth?"
(a) Her borscht.
(b) Her pudding and poppy cakes.
(c) Her knishes and baclava.
(d) Her kreplach.
6. Who wrote a letter for the happy man from Kodny to take to the professor?
(a) His son.
(b) The wealthy manor owners.
(c) His rabbi.
(d) His wife.
7. What is Chvedka's profession?
(a) He is a delivery boy.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a scribe.
(d) He is a soldier.
8. Where is Ahronchik and his mother from?
9. What is Peppercorn studying for?
(a) He is studying to become a lawyer.
(b) University Entrance Exams.
(c) Civil Servant Exams.
(d) He is studying to become a doctor.
10. According to the narrator in The Happiest Man in All Kodny, when is the best time to travel by train?
11. What question about Mendle does Tevye ask Golde after he leaves their home?
(a) Tevye asks if she knows what Mendl does for a living.
(b) Tevye asks if Mendl has any children.
(c) Tevye asks is Mendl was popular as a child.
(d) Tevye asks how old Mendl is.
12. What do Tevye's Christian neighbors call him?
13. How much did Tevye get paid to drag logs from the forest to the train station every day?
(a) Three rubles a day.
(b) One ruble a week.
(c) One ruble a day.
(d) Half a ruble a day.
14. Which is not one of the items mentioned as wares of the salespeople in The Competitors?
(b) Dried figs.
(c) Black cherries.
(d) Hard-boiled eggs.
15. What items are Podhotzur's house full of?
(a) Stuffed animals and skeletons.
(b) Paintings and books.
(c) Sculptures and vases.
(d) Clocks and mirrors.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Golde feel about Peppercorn's marriage to Tevye's daugher Hodl?
2. What is the name of the happy man from Kodny?
3. How much money does Kivke request from Kaminka for a dowry?
4. Why is Tevye expelled from the village in Lekh-Lekho?
5. What does Tevye do when he meets Chava in the forest after her marriage?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)