|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what pulls Tarzan from a tree when he ropes it?
2. Why does Kala not know of the situation with Kerchak?
3. What does Tarzan mean in ape language?
4. Why does Tarzan have to fight Terkoz in Chapter 12?
5. What does Tarzan throw at one of the warriors in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tarzan find in the metal box, why is he frustrated with one of the items in the box and what item does he take with him?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, why does Tarzan return to the cabin and what does he do there?
3. What is Lord Greystoke told by a crew member and what does he do with this information?
4. What does Tarzan see in Chapter 13 when he returns to the cabin from getting clothing?
5. How is Jane saved from the lioness trying to get into the cabin?
6. Why does Tarzan remain king of the ape tribe for a while and how does he finally relinquish that position?
7. How does Kala’s baby ape die?
8. What does Tarzan do in Kulonga’s hut in the village and how do the villagers react?
9. What breaks the peace around the area of Tarzan’s ape tribe in Chapter 9?
10. What does the Greystoke couple do in Freetown and how does Lord Greystoke run afoul of a ship captain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tarzan is raised among a group of apes who are overwhelmingly superior to him physically. Discuss at least three ways in which Tarzan overcomes his physical limitations in his ape tribe. Use examples from the book to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the Tarzan series, and probably one of the bases of its appeal, runs the constant contrast between the "civilized" world of men and the "uncivilized" world of the jungle. Discuss three ways that Burroughs shows are different between the civilized world and the uncivilized world and give your opinion of which world you think is best. For example, family, education, politics, war, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why Tarzan of the Apes is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)