|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tarzan know he must move the tribe?
2. Why does Tarzan have to fight Terkoz in Chapter 12?
3. What do the people in the village leave Tarzan to try and appease him?
4. What is the name the great apes have for an elephant?
5. How does Kala die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What breaks the peace around the area of Tarzan’s ape tribe in Chapter 9?
2. What does Tarzan do in Kulonga’s hut in the village and how do the villagers react?
3. What does Tarzan find in the metal box, why is he frustrated with one of the items in the box and what item does he take with him?
4. How do Tarzan and Clayton get back to the cabin fast when they hear a gunshot?
5. How does Lord Greystoke get killed?
6. How does Tarzan become King of the Apes?
7. What does the Greystoke couple do in Freetown and how does Lord Greystoke run afoul of a ship captain?
8. How does Tarzan learn to read and write and at what age does he read the child’s primer?
9. How many apes are in Kerchak’s tribe and what is Kala like?
10. How does Tarzan save Clayton’s life two times in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burroughs reiterates the ideas of the "noble savage" -- the possibility of natural goodness, strength, and superiority inherent in mankind even though brought up in violent Nature. Noble savage first appeared in English in the 1600’s in a John Dryden’s play. Why might Tarzan be considered a “noble savage?” Does Burroughs portray him as one? Discuss at least three incidences in Tarzan of the Apes in which Tarzan could be said to be a noble savage. Use examples from the book to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character.
Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not? Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Tarzan of the Apes help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Tarzan of the Apes? Why or why not. Use examples from Tarzan of the Apes and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why Tarzan of the Apes is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)