|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tarzan have to fight Terkoz in Chapter 12?
2. What does Lord Greystoke call the captain when the captain refuses to believe Greystoke’s information?
3. In Chapter 10, what does Tarzan do when he goes into a hut in the village?
4. In Chapter 12, where does Tarzan take the tribe to eat?
5. In Chapter 6, how does Tarzan get into his father’s cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tarzan get arrows from the village in Chapter 10?
2. What is Lord Greystoke told by a crew member and what does he do with this information?
3. Why is Lord Greystoke in Africa and what kind of man does the narrator say he is?
4. How do Tarzan and Clayton get back to the cabin fast when they hear a gunshot?
5. What does the Greystoke couple do in Freetown and how does Lord Greystoke run afoul of a ship captain?
6. How does Lord Greystoke get killed?
7. How does Tarzan save Clayton’s life two times in Chapter 14?
8. Why does Tarzan remain king of the ape tribe for a while and how does he finally relinquish that position?
9. How and why does Tarzan kill Tublet?
10. How many apes are in Kerchak’s tribe and what is Kala like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why Tarzan of the Apes is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
Essay Topic 2
Burroughs reiterates the ideas of the "noble savage" -- the possibility of natural goodness, strength, and superiority inherent in mankind even though brought up in violent Nature. Noble savage first appeared in English in the 1600’s in a John Dryden’s play. Why might Tarzan be considered a “noble savage?” Does Burroughs portray him as one? Discuss at least three incidences in Tarzan of the Apes in which Tarzan could be said to be a noble savage. Use examples from the book to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Tarzan is raised among a group of apes who are overwhelmingly superior to him physically. Discuss at least three ways in which Tarzan overcomes his physical limitations in his ape tribe. Use examples from the book to support your response.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)