|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people in the village leave Tarzan to try and appease him?
2. What is the ape’s word for gorilla?
3. How does Clayton and Tarzan save Jane and Esmeralda from a lioness?
4. What does Tarzan first do when he enters the cabin in Chapter 6?
5. What does Tarzan keep telling Clayton to do about the lion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tarzan decide to kill a lioness and what happens in his first attempt in Chapter 8?
2. What does Tarzan do on the way back to the tribe from the village in Chapter 11 and how do the members of the tribe react to his tale?
3. How does Tarzan feel about the men who have come to the cabin?
4. What does Tarzan do about clothing for himself?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, why does Tarzan return to the cabin and what does he do there?
6. What is Lord Greystoke told by a crew member and what does he do with this information?
7. How does Kala die and what does Tarzan do about her death?
8. What does Lord Greystoke witness on the ship and what does Black Michael say is to be his fate?
9. How does Tarzan get arrows from the village in Chapter 10?
10. How does Alice lose her memory of her recent past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why Tarzan of the Apes is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
Essay Topic 2
Burroughs creates improbable stories and makes them seem real. One of his great techniques for doing this is the detail of language, social behavior and traditions in an imaginary society. Discuss how each of these techniques makes the ape tribe where Tarzan is raised seem real. Use examples from the book to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Tarzan is raised among a group of apes who are overwhelmingly superior to him physically. Discuss at least three ways in which Tarzan overcomes his physical limitations in his ape tribe. Use examples from the book to support your response.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)