Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of the initial part of the story as told by the narrator.
2. Where are the characters in the story from?
3. Does Terri think her ex-boyfriend loved her? Why?
4. Describe the relationship between Terri and Ed from Terri's point-of-view.
5. Describe the relationship between Laura and Nick.
6. Why does Laura bump Nick's knee under the table?
7. How long have Nick and Laura been married in comparison to Terri and Mel?
8. What description does the author give of Laura?
9. What does Mel think of Nick and Laura's love?
10. Why does Terri scold Mel for being insensitive?
11. What does Mel tell Laura he would do if anything happened to their spouses? Why?
12. Describe the relationship between Mel and Terri.
13. Do you think Mel's example of real love is an appropriate one? Why or why not?
14. Describe what Mel was doing when he was notified of the car accident.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)