• Mel is talking as the story opens and the narrator, Nick, gives a description of the scene in Mel's kitchen.
• Mel, his wife, Terri, Nick, and his wife, Laura, are seated at a table in Mel and Terri's kitchen in Albuquerque.
• The time of day is late afternoon and the two couples are passing gin, tonic, and an ice bucket around the table.
• Mel, a cardiologist, discusses how his five years at a seminary were imperative to his knowledge about spiritual love.
• Terri says that her most dramatic encounter with love was with her previous boyfriend, Ed.
• Ed was extremely abusive and beat Terri up on several occasions because he could not possess her totally.
• At one point, Ed tried to kill Terri because he loved her so intensely.
• Mel and Terri enter a debate about whether abusive behavior is or is not love.
• Terri asserts that...
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)