|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tony trades two cases of whiskey for ___________.
2. Paul determines that Bill is _________________.
3. How does Bloody Mary get her name?
4. Why are the men stuck for a couple of days on the island of Bougainville?
5. Who is the chaplain in "A Boar's Tooth"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job is Commander Hoag ordered to complete on the tiny island of Konora?
2. How does the letter Bill Harbison writes to his wife compare to the one Timothy Hewitt writes to his wife?
3. What is Atabrine and what do the natives use it for?
4. What is the true so-called "strike" of the story?
5. Who is Bloody Mary and how did she get her name?
6. Under what circumstances does Latouche kill her husband?
7. What are some of the stops Bus makes in order to find liquor for Tony?
8. How does Dr. Paul Benoway decide on not censoring Timothy Hewitt's letters to his wife?
9. What is the irony of how Kelley's discipline benefits the navy but is disastrous in his personal life?
10. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Michener choose to use the first person narrator perspective for the stories? What does this point of view entail? What does this point of view allow? What is limiting about this point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loyalty. Identify at least two examples about loyalty in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loyalty.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)