|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the men stuck for a couple of days on the island of Bougainville?
2. Who is the pilot who lands on the new airstrip after his plane is damaged in a dogfight?
3. Who poses as a Naval Intelligence officer?
4. During this frantic period of time the men are working _______ hours each week.
5. Who raids the Barzan plantation demanding the return of all American goods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Atabrine and what do the natives use it for?
2. Who is Achilles Barzan and why is he a fugitive?
3. What is Pearlstein's strategy to complete the airstrip?
4. How does the chaplain compare the pig ceremony to some aspects of Christianity and how it goes against the American practices of consumption?
5. How does Joe rationalize that Liat is not a native savage?
6. Under what circumstances does Latouche kill her husband?
7. How does Dr. Paul Benoway decide on not censoring Timothy Hewitt's letters to his wife?
8. What are some of the stops Bus makes in order to find liquor for Tony?
9. How does Joe accept Liat's marriage to Benoit?
10. What job is Commander Hoag ordered to complete on the tiny island of Konora?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Bob Harbison. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bob?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Bloody Mary. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Bloody Mary?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)