|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe find it difficult to write a letter to his fiance?
2. Why is the supply depot being reinforced?
3. What does Bloody Mary want Joe to do?
4. Joe is caught between his orders to shut down Bloody Mary's business and _______________.
5. The narrator is an officer at a _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Paul Benoway decide on not censoring Timothy Hewitt's letters to his wife?
2. What physical restrictions does Hoag encounter in the airstrip project on Konora?
3. How does Joe lie when the men talk about becoming intimate with native girls?
4. How is Bus overthrown for Tony Fry in Latouche's affections?
5. What are Bloody Mary's plans for Joe?
6. How does the chaplain compare the pig ceremony to some aspects of Christianity and how it goes against the American practices of consumption?
7. What are the conditions that have the Seabees overworked and frazzled?
8. How does the letter Bill Harbison writes to his wife compare to the one Timothy Hewitt writes to his wife?
9. How does Joe accept Liat's marriage to Benoit?
10. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the stories. Why does Michener use the setting he does? What is the time period of the stories? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Bloody Mary. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Bloody Mary?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)