|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Monsieur Jacques Benoit's position on the island?
2. What holiday is approaching in "Wine for the Mess at Segi"?
3. Admiral Kester orders an airstrip built on the tiny island of ____________.
4. What is the Bouncing Belch?
5. The narrator is an officer at a _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the conditions that have the Seabees overworked and frazzled?
2. How is Bus overthrown for Tony Fry in Latouche's affections?
3. How is Captain Kelley compared to Captain Bligh of the Bounty?
4. How does Joe accept Liat's marriage to Benoit?
5. What is Pearlstein's strategy to complete the airstrip?
6. What is the sacred pig ceremony that the men partake in?
7. Under what circumstances does Latouche kill her husband?
8. What outrageous situation do the men encounter as they attempt to make their final landing in the beat-up aircraft?
9. How does Dr. Paul Benoway decide on not censoring Timothy Hewitt's letters to his wife?
10. What are some of the stops Bus makes in order to find liquor for Tony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Bob Harbison. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bob?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loyalty. Identify at least two examples about loyalty in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loyalty.
Essay Topic 3
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)