|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Atabrine Benny take Joe to Bali Ha'i?
2. What business does Tony Fry operate?
3. What helps Bloody Mary bargain with the American servicemen?
4. During this frantic period of time the men are working _______ hours each week.
5. What is painted on the side of the plane that Bus Adams flies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job is Commander Hoag ordered to complete on the tiny island of Konora?
2. How is Bus overthrown for Tony Fry in Latouche's affections?
3. What are Bloody Mary's plans for Joe?
4. Under what circumstances does Latouche kill her husband?
5. What is Atabrine and what do the natives use it for?
6. Why do Bus and Tony want to make a stop on the island of Luana Pori?
7. How does Joe lie when the men talk about becoming intimate with native girls?
8. How does the letter Bill Harbison writes to his wife compare to the one Timothy Hewitt writes to his wife?
9. What are the conditions that have the Seabees overworked and frazzled?
10. What physical restrictions does Hoag encounter in the airstrip project on Konora?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC is a classic work of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Boredom takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)