|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The drug Atabrine is also used as _______________.
2. How do the men spend Christmas Day?
3. What is so dangerous about the way Bus has to land the plane at Segi Point?
4. What do most men fear being drawn into during their military service?
5. The American soldiers will trade their pig meat for _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns does Lt. Pearlstein have about a ravine and a coral hill on Konora?
2. What is the irony of how Kelley's discipline benefits the navy but is disastrous in his personal life?
3. How does Joe lie when the men talk about becoming intimate with native girls?
4. Who is Achilles Barzan and why is he a fugitive?
5. How does Dr. Paul Benoway decide on not censoring Timothy Hewitt's letters to his wife?
6. What are the conditions that have the Seabees overworked and frazzled?
7. What is Atabrine and what do the natives use it for?
8. Why is Joe conflicted by his orders to shut down Bloody Mary's trading post?
9. What are Bloody Mary's plans for Joe?
10. Under what circumstances does Latouche kill her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Michener uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Bus Adams. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bus?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)