|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cloth does Benny give the natives that makes them very happy?
2. Who raids the Barzan plantation demanding the return of all American goods?
3. Who is Bill Harbison's wife?
4. With what fabric does Latouche make a wedding dress?
5. How is Commander Hoag killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
2. Why is Joe conflicted by his orders to shut down Bloody Mary's trading post?
3. For what is Tony Fry well known and what does he convince Bus Adams to do to help him?
4. What is Atabrine and what do the natives use it for?
5. What are the conditions that have the Seabees overworked and frazzled?
6. How is Bus overthrown for Tony Fry in Latouche's affections?
7. How does the letter Bill Harbison writes to his wife compare to the one Timothy Hewitt writes to his wife?
8. What outrageous situation do the men encounter as they attempt to make their final landing in the beat-up aircraft?
9. What physical restrictions does Hoag encounter in the airstrip project on Konora?
10. Under what circumstances does Latouche kill her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Bob Harbison. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bob?
Essay Topic 2
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of duty. Identify at least two examples about duty in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)