|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joe tell about his affair with Liat?
2. With what fabric does Latouche make a wedding dress?
3. The Red House whorehouse is for ______________.
4. What is painted on the side of the plane that Bus Adams flies?
5. What holiday is approaching in "Wine for the Mess at Segi"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of how Kelley's discipline benefits the navy but is disastrous in his personal life?
2. Who is Achilles Barzan and why is he a fugitive?
3. Under what circumstances does Latouche kill her husband?
4. Who is Bloody Mary and how did she get her name?
5. How does the chaplain compare the pig ceremony to some aspects of Christianity and how it goes against the American practices of consumption?
6. Who is Latouche Barzan and what is her relationship with Bus Adams?
7. What is the true so-called "strike" of the story?
8. How does Dr. Paul Benoway decide on not censoring Timothy Hewitt's letters to his wife?
9. How is Bus overthrown for Tony Fry in Latouche's affections?
10. Why do Bus and Tony want to make a stop on the island of Luana Pori?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michener uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the majority of the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Michener feel compelled to tell the stories from this time and place?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the format of the book. What is the purpose of the Stories? Why did Michener write the stories instead of a novel format? Explain.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)