|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Latouche's sister?
2. Even though Bus Adams is a married man, he has a girlfriend in the South Pacific named _____________.
3. Who is the Marine who is tasked with shutting down Bloody Mary's business?
4. What is Monsieur Jacques Benoit's position on the island?
5. Why are the men stuck for a couple of days on the island of Bougainville?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bloody Mary and how did she get her name?
2. What is the irony of how Kelley's discipline benefits the navy but is disastrous in his personal life?
3. What is the sacred pig ceremony that the men partake in?
4. What is Pearlstein's strategy to complete the airstrip?
5. What are the conditions that have the Seabees overworked and frazzled?
6. What are some of the stops Bus makes in order to find liquor for Tony?
7. For what is Tony Fry well known and what does he convince Bus Adams to do to help him?
8. What concerns does Lt. Pearlstein have about a ravine and a coral hill on Konora?
9. How does Dr. Paul Benoway decide on not censoring Timothy Hewitt's letters to his wife?
10. What physical restrictions does Hoag encounter in the airstrip project on Konora?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the format of the book. What is the purpose of the Stories? Why did Michener write the stories instead of a novel format? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the majority of the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Michener feel compelled to tell the stories from this time and place?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)