|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rock is found in the hills on Konora?
2. Who is the nun who prepares a meal at the hospital?
3. Tony trades two cases of whiskey for ___________.
4. With what fabric does Latouche make a wedding dress?
5. Latouche decides that Lt. Col. Haricot can be persuaded to marry _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pearlstein's strategy to complete the airstrip?
2. How does Joe accept Liat's marriage to Benoit?
3. How does the chaplain compare the pig ceremony to some aspects of Christianity and how it goes against the American practices of consumption?
4. How does Joe lie when the men talk about becoming intimate with native girls?
5. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
6. How does Joe rationalize that Liat is not a native savage?
7. What are some of the stops Bus makes in order to find liquor for Tony?
8. How does Dr. Paul Benoway decide on not censoring Timothy Hewitt's letters to his wife?
9. What outrageous situation do the men encounter as they attempt to make their final landing in the beat-up aircraft?
10. Who is Latouche Barzan and what is her relationship with Bus Adams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of duty. Identify at least two examples about duty in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Michener writes most of these stories with a subliminal theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)