|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men consider putting on top of the airstrip to give it a tighter, smoother top?
2. In what type of ceremony does Tony Fry marry Latouhe?
3. How does Captain Kelley's daughter die?
4. Why are the men stuck for a couple of days on the island of Bougainville?
5. Which of the French sisters ends up pregnant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Michener's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Michener uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)