|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joe is caught between his orders to shut down Bloody Mary's business and _______________.
2. How many days is the commander in #134 given to build the airstrip?
3. Where does Joe take Liat to lunch?
4. Who is the Marine who is tasked with shutting down Bloody Mary's business?
5. Why does Atabrine Benny take Joe to Bali Ha'i?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what circumstances does Latouche kill her husband?
2. What is the irony of how Kelley's discipline benefits the navy but is disastrous in his personal life?
3. What are some of the stops Bus makes in order to find liquor for Tony?
4. Who is Achilles Barzan and why is he a fugitive?
5. What job is Commander Hoag ordered to complete on the tiny island of Konora?
6. How does the chaplain compare the pig ceremony to some aspects of Christianity and how it goes against the American practices of consumption?
7. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
8. What concerns does Lt. Pearlstein have about a ravine and a coral hill on Konora?
9. How does Joe rationalize that Liat is not a native savage?
10. What is Pearlstein's strategy to complete the airstrip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Boredom takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Tony Fry. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tony?
Essay Topic 3
Michener writes most of these stories with a subliminal theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)