|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Marines in Joe's camp hang over his head?
2. Bus compares Captain Kelley to ______________.
3. What holiday is approaching in "Wine for the Mess at Segi"?
4. The American soldiers will trade their pig meat for _______________.
5. Tony trades two cases of whiskey for ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pearlstein's strategy to complete the airstrip?
2. Who is Achilles Barzan and why is he a fugitive?
3. What is Atabrine and what do the natives use it for?
4. How does Joe rationalize that Liat is not a native savage?
5. Who is Bloody Mary and how did she get her name?
6. How does Dr. Paul Benoway decide on not censoring Timothy Hewitt's letters to his wife?
7. What outrageous situation do the men encounter as they attempt to make their final landing in the beat-up aircraft?
8. Under what circumstances does Latouche kill her husband?
9. What physical restrictions does Hoag encounter in the airstrip project on Konora?
10. What is the sacred pig ceremony that the men partake in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the stories. Why does Michener use the setting he does? What is the time period of the stories? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)