|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Latouche's sister?
2. Why are the men stuck for a couple of days on the island of Bougainville?
3. To whom does Paul write a letter describing his life-threatening experience?
4. Who is Bill Harbison's wife?
5. How does Bloody Mary get her name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the letter Bill Harbison writes to his wife compare to the one Timothy Hewitt writes to his wife?
2. How does Joe accept Liat's marriage to Benoit?
3. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
4. How does Joe lie when the men talk about becoming intimate with native girls?
5. Why do Bus and Tony want to make a stop on the island of Luana Pori?
6. Under what circumstances does Latouche kill her husband?
7. What are the conditions that have the Seabees overworked and frazzled?
8. Who is Bloody Mary and how did she get her name?
9. How does the chaplain compare the pig ceremony to some aspects of Christianity and how it goes against the American practices of consumption?
10. For what is Tony Fry well known and what does he convince Bus Adams to do to help him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Michener uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC is a classic work of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)