|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Atabrine Benny take Joe to Bali Ha'i?
2. Who is Bill Harbison's wife?
3. What ceremony takes place on the island of Vanicoro?
4. Who is Tony's girlfriend who lives in Luana Pori?
5. How does Captain Kelley's daughter die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joe rationalize that Liat is not a native savage?
2. How does Dr. Paul Benoway decide on not censoring Timothy Hewitt's letters to his wife?
3. Who is Bloody Mary and how did she get her name?
4. How does the chaplain compare the pig ceremony to some aspects of Christianity and how it goes against the American practices of consumption?
5. What are the conditions that have the Seabees overworked and frazzled?
6. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
7. How does Joe accept Liat's marriage to Benoit?
8. How is Bus overthrown for Tony Fry in Latouche's affections?
9. Why do Bus and Tony want to make a stop on the island of Luana Pori?
10. What is the irony of how Kelley's discipline benefits the navy but is disastrous in his personal life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC is a classic work of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)