|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Latouche's new boyfriend because he can talk about Paris, plus he is not married?
2. Captain Samuel Kelley is known for ________________.
3. What job does the narrator have during this operation?
4. The American soldiers will trade their pig meat for _______________.
5. Luther Billis is described as looking somewhat like a ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What physical restrictions does Hoag encounter in the airstrip project on Konora?
2. What is the sacred pig ceremony that the men partake in?
3. How does Joe rationalize that Liat is not a native savage?
4. What outrageous situation do the men encounter as they attempt to make their final landing in the beat-up aircraft?
5. Why is Joe conflicted by his orders to shut down Bloody Mary's trading post?
6. Who is Achilles Barzan and why is he a fugitive?
7. What are Bloody Mary's plans for Joe?
8. How is Bus overthrown for Tony Fry in Latouche's affections?
9. What is Pearlstein's strategy to complete the airstrip?
10. How does Joe lie when the men talk about becoming intimate with native girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michener writes most of these stories with a subliminal theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
Essay Topic 2
TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC is a classic work of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Bus Adams. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bus?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)