|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so dangerous about the way Bus has to land the plane at Segi Point?
2. The drug Atabrine is also used as _______________.
3. What holiday is approaching in "Wine for the Mess at Segi"?
4. What kind of mission are Tony, the narrator and Bus on?
5. What is the Bouncing Belch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pearlstein's strategy to complete the airstrip?
2. How does Joe rationalize that Liat is not a native savage?
3. How does Joe accept Liat's marriage to Benoit?
4. What outrageous situation do the men encounter as they attempt to make their final landing in the beat-up aircraft?
5. What are some of the stops Bus makes in order to find liquor for Tony?
6. What is the irony of how Kelley's discipline benefits the navy but is disastrous in his personal life?
7. How is Captain Kelley compared to Captain Bligh of the Bounty?
8. What are Bloody Mary's plans for Joe?
9. Why is Joe conflicted by his orders to shut down Bloody Mary's trading post?
10. What concerns does Lt. Pearlstein have about a ravine and a coral hill on Konora?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Boredom takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Bob Harbison. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bob?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)