|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the French sisters ends up pregnant?
2. Tony trades two cases of whiskey for ___________.
3. How does Bloody Mary get her name?
4. Who is the Marine who is tasked with shutting down Bloody Mary's business?
5. What is the Bouncing Belch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Bus and Tony want to make a stop on the island of Luana Pori?
2. What job is Commander Hoag ordered to complete on the tiny island of Konora?
3. What concerns does Lt. Pearlstein have about a ravine and a coral hill on Konora?
4. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
5. How does the chaplain compare the pig ceremony to some aspects of Christianity and how it goes against the American practices of consumption?
6. What are the conditions that have the Seabees overworked and frazzled?
7. How does Joe rationalize that Liat is not a native savage?
8. What outrageous situation do the men encounter as they attempt to make their final landing in the beat-up aircraft?
9. Under what circumstances does Latouche kill her husband?
10. What is Atabrine and what do the natives use it for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loyalty. Identify at least two examples about loyalty in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loyalty.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Bob Harbison. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bob?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the majority of the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Michener feel compelled to tell the stories from this time and place?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)