|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of business does Bloody Mary run?
2. How is Commander Hoag killed?
3. What is the Bouncing Belch?
4. Who becomes Latouche's new boyfriend because he can talk about Paris, plus he is not married?
5. Latouche decides that Lt. Col. Haricot can be persuaded to marry _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of how Kelley's discipline benefits the navy but is disastrous in his personal life?
2. What is the sacred pig ceremony that the men partake in?
3. What are the conditions that have the Seabees overworked and frazzled?
4. How is Captain Kelley compared to Captain Bligh of the Bounty?
5. What are some of the stops Bus makes in order to find liquor for Tony?
6. How does the chaplain compare the pig ceremony to some aspects of Christianity and how it goes against the American practices of consumption?
7. How does Joe lie when the men talk about becoming intimate with native girls?
8. What job is Commander Hoag ordered to complete on the tiny island of Konora?
9. Who is Achilles Barzan and why is he a fugitive?
10. Under what circumstances does Latouche kill her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Michener's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the stories. Why does Michener use the setting he does? What is the time period of the stories? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)