|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is the island of Bali ha'i known?
2. Who is the chaplain in "A Boar's Tooth"?
3. Joe falsely claims that he would not _________________.
4. What is a boar?
5. What is Monsieur Jacques Benoit's position on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joe rationalize that Liat is not a native savage?
2. For what is Tony Fry well known and what does he convince Bus Adams to do to help him?
3. How does the chaplain compare the pig ceremony to some aspects of Christianity and how it goes against the American practices of consumption?
4. What is Pearlstein's strategy to complete the airstrip?
5. What is the sacred pig ceremony that the men partake in?
6. How does Joe accept Liat's marriage to Benoit?
7. How is Bus overthrown for Tony Fry in Latouche's affections?
8. What job is Commander Hoag ordered to complete on the tiny island of Konora?
9. How does the letter Bill Harbison writes to his wife compare to the one Timothy Hewitt writes to his wife?
10. How does Dr. Paul Benoway decide on not censoring Timothy Hewitt's letters to his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Michener choose to use the first person narrator perspective for the stories? What does this point of view entail? What does this point of view allow? What is limiting about this point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Michener uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)