|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift had Joe given Liat which Bloody Mary throws at him?
2. Who raids the Barzan plantation demanding the return of all American goods?
3. What item of Luther Billis' fascinates Tony Fry?
4. The Red House whorehouse is for ______________.
5. What job does the narrator have during this operation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the chaplain compare the pig ceremony to some aspects of Christianity and how it goes against the American practices of consumption?
2. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
3. How does Joe accept Liat's marriage to Benoit?
4. Why do Bus and Tony want to make a stop on the island of Luana Pori?
5. What outrageous situation do the men encounter as they attempt to make their final landing in the beat-up aircraft?
6. What are Bloody Mary's plans for Joe?
7. What is Atabrine and what do the natives use it for?
8. How is Captain Kelley compared to Captain Bligh of the Bounty?
9. How does the letter Bill Harbison writes to his wife compare to the one Timothy Hewitt writes to his wife?
10. Who is Achilles Barzan and why is he a fugitive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Michener's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Michener writes most of these stories with a subliminal theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)