|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Remittance Man's nickname?
2. PT boats are sometimes characterized as ________________.
3. Who is the Remittance Man?
4. The station sends out regular radio reports daily on ___________ and the weather.
5. With what kind of liquor does Lt. Grant celebrate the destruction of the Japanese fleet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the content of the "Coral Sea" story?
2. What happens when Luther Billis promises to set Joe up with some girls?
3. Why does Joe face a court martial over the incident regarding mosquito netting?
4. Who is Emile De Becque and what is Nellie's relationship to him?
5. What is a milk run?
6. What types of emotional angst does Nellie experience in this environment which is so different from her native Alabama?
7. Who is Joe and what are the circumstances he shares with eight hundred other men in "Dry Rot"?
8. What is the job of the Remittance Man?
9. Why is Nellie feeling particularly vulnerable?
10. What is the condition of the men in the "Coral Sea" story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michener uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of duty. Identify at least two examples about duty in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Bob Harbison. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bob?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)