|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Planes from what country initially come to Bus' rescue when he is shot down?
2. On what island is Bill Harbison stationed?
3. What is Captain Kelley's notable demeanor?
4. How old is Teta Christian at the time the narrator visited Norfolk Island?
5. What design does Admiral Kester order removed from a plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Luther Billis promises to set Joe up with some girls?
2. What is the content of the "Coral Sea" story?
3. What irony is revealed regarding the British treatment of prisoners on the island and the activities of the Allies now?
4. Why does Joe face a court martial over the incident regarding mosquito netting?
5. Who is the woman who is the center of the story in "Our Heroine"?
6. What is the job of the Remittance Man?
7. Who is Ensign Bill Harbison and what is his role?
8. What is the secret operation called "Alligator"?
9. What is a milk run?
10. Why are PT boats considered inadequate and what measures are put into place to help support them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Michener choose to use the first person narrator perspective for the stories? What does this point of view entail? What does this point of view allow? What is limiting about this point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Michener writes most of these stories with a subliminal theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)