|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what kind of liquor does Lt. Grant celebrate the destruction of the Japanese fleet?
2. What is Harbison's job on the island?
3. Who assumes command of the Alligator initiative?
4. How many months has Joe been stationed on the small coral island?
5. From what disease do many of the men stationed near the Coral Sea suffer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Remittance Man?
2. What is Tony Fry known for because there is so much down time on the islands?
3. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
4. What is a milk run?
5. What happens when Luther Billis promises to set Joe up with some girls?
6. What types of emotional angst does Nellie experience in this environment which is so different from her native Alabama?
7. Why is Nellie feeling particularly vulnerable?
8. Why is Bill Harbison called a social snob?
9. Why does Tony Fry not get along well with Lt. Commander Charlesworth?
10. What is the content of the "Coral Sea" story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loyalty. Identify at least two examples about loyalty in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loyalty.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Bloody Mary. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Bloody Mary?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Bus Adams. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bus?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)