|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Joe's job before the war?
2. On what kind of boat does Tony go out on some patrols?
3. Who is the girl Tony Fry is having an affair with?
4. What is the nickname for the passage to Guadalcanal?
5. The station sends out regular radio reports daily on ___________ and the weather.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bill Harbison called a social snob?
2. What does Bill do to pass time in his position?
3. What types of emotional angst does Nellie experience in this environment which is so different from her native Alabama?
4. Why is Nellie feeling particularly vulnerable?
5. What is a milk run?
6. Who is Captain Samuel Kelley and for what is he responsible in the "Alligator" operation?
7. What is the secret operation called "Alligator"?
8. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
9. What is the condition of the men in the "Coral Sea" story?
10. What does the author show about the superiority of U.S. military might in the case of Bus being shot down by Japanese forces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the format of the book. What is the purpose of the Stories? Why did Michener write the stories instead of a novel format? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of duty. Identify at least two examples about duty in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)