|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the narrator ordered to go to manage a situation regarding a crucial airstrip?
2. Who ultimately comes to Bus' rescue when he is shot down?
3. What is the malaria treatment drug that the men thought would cause them to lose their virility?
4. What drink does Tony Fry always have available?
5. With what kind of liquor does Lt. Grant celebrate the destruction of the Japanese fleet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill do to pass time in his position?
2. Who is the woman who is the center of the story in "Our Heroine"?
3. Why does Joe face a court martial over the incident regarding mosquito netting?
4. What is the content of "The South Pacific" story?
5. Why is Nellie feeling particularly vulnerable?
6. Why are PT boats considered inadequate and what measures are put into place to help support them?
7. Who is Ensign Bill Harbison and what is his role?
8. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
9. What does the author show about the superiority of U.S. military might in the case of Bus being shot down by Japanese forces?
10. Who is the Remittance Man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Bob Harbison. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bob?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the format of the book. What is the purpose of the Stories? Why did Michener write the stories instead of a novel format? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Michener's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)