|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Lt. Bus Adams shot down?
2. What is the narrator ordered to do on Norfolk Island?
3. What does Joe refuse to do that results in his being threatened with court martial?
4. What is widely known about Harbison?
5. Where is the narrator ordered to go to manage a situation regarding a crucial airstrip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Remittance Man?
2. Who is Joe and what are the circumstances he shares with eight hundred other men in "Dry Rot"?
3. Who is Emile De Becque and what is Nellie's relationship to him?
4. Why are PT boats considered inadequate and what measures are put into place to help support them?
5. What is the job of the Remittance Man?
6. Why does Tony Fry not get along well with Lt. Commander Charlesworth?
7. Why is Bill Harbison called a social snob?
8. What does the author show about the superiority of U.S. military might in the case of Bus being shot down by Japanese forces?
9. What types of emotional angst does Nellie experience in this environment which is so different from her native Alabama?
10. What is the content of "The South Pacific" story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC is a classic work of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Boredom takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Tony Fry. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tony?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)