|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What enrages Admiral Kester at one time?
2. Who does Nellie ultimately decide to marry?
3. Where is the narrator ordered to go to manage a situation regarding a crucial airstrip?
4. What is the nickname for the passage to Guadalcanal?
5. What is Harbison's job on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What craft are involved in the invasion of Kuralei?
2. Who is Emile De Becque and what is Nellie's relationship to him?
3. What is the narrator's job on Norfolk Island and what does he see as an impediment?
4. Why is Joe conflicted by his orders to shut down Bloody Mary's trading post?
5. Who is the woman who is the center of the story in "Our Heroine"?
6. What is the mood of the men before the strike and what do the men talk about beforehand?
7. What physical restrictions does Hoag encounter in the airstrip project on Konora?
8. What foreshadowing does the author use in this story?
9. What is Tony Fry known for because there is so much down time on the islands?
10. What irony is revealed regarding the British treatment of prisoners on the island and the activities of the Allies now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the stories. Why does Michener use the setting he does? What is the time period of the stories? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Michener writes most of these stories with a subliminal theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
Essay Topic 3
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,527 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)