|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the 22-year-old nurse that Harbison started to date?
2. What is LARU-8?
3. Whose farm does the narrator and Tony Fry visit?
4. What do Lucy and Teta blow up on the island?
5. With what kind of liquor does Lt. Grant celebrate the destruction of the Japanese fleet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tony Fry not get along well with Lt. Commander Charlesworth?
2. Who is Captain Samuel Kelley and for what is he responsible in the "Alligator" operation?
3. Who is Ensign Bill Harbison and what is his role?
4. What is Atabrine and why do the men fear its side effects?
5. What happens when Luther Billis promises to set Joe up with some girls?
6. Why does Joe face a court martial over the incident regarding mosquito netting?
7. What does the author show about the superiority of U.S. military might in the case of Bus being shot down by Japanese forces?
8. What foreshadowing does the author use in this story?
9. Why are PT boats considered inadequate and what measures are put into place to help support them?
10. Who is Dinah Culbert and what is her relationship to Bill Harbison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Tony Fry. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tony?
Essay Topic 2
TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC is a classic work of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Boredom takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)