|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harbison tell the woman in #33 that he could not marry her after the war?
2. What is Nellie Forbush's job?
3. Where is Lt. Bus Adams shot down?
4. Who is the Seabee who helped Joe find girls?
5. Admiral Kester is the leader of the attack on the island of ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tony Fry known for because there is so much down time on the islands?
2. What is Atabrine and why do the men fear its side effects?
3. What is the content of the "Coral Sea" story?
4. Why is Bill Harbison called a social snob?
5. What types of emotional angst does Nellie experience in this environment which is so different from her native Alabama?
6. Who is Ensign Bill Harbison and what is his role?
7. Why is Nellie feeling particularly vulnerable?
8. Why are PT boats considered inadequate and what measures are put into place to help support them?
9. What is the job of the Remittance Man?
10. What is the content of "The South Pacific" story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Michener writes most of these stories with a subliminal theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Michener choose to use the first person narrator perspective for the stories? What does this point of view entail? What does this point of view allow? What is limiting about this point of view?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)