|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nellie Forbush's job?
2. What is widely known about Harbison?
3. Who are the people associated with Fletcher Christian who settled on Norfolk Island?
4. Who is the girl who wrote to Joe and then died in a car accident?
5. The station sends out regular radio reports daily on ___________ and the weather.
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of emotional angst does Nellie experience in this environment which is so different from her native Alabama?
2. Who is Captain Samuel Kelley and for what is he responsible in the "Alligator" operation?
3. Why does Joe face a court martial over the incident regarding mosquito netting?
4. What is a milk run?
5. Who is the woman who is the center of the story in "Our Heroine"?
6. Why is Bill Harbison called a social snob?
7. What is Atabrine and why do the men fear its side effects?
8. What is the secret operation called "Alligator"?
9. What does the author show about the superiority of U.S. military might in the case of Bus being shot down by Japanese forces?
10. Who is Joe and what are the circumstances he shares with eight hundred other men in "Dry Rot"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the majority of the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Michener feel compelled to tell the stories from this time and place?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Bloody Mary. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Bloody Mary?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)