|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nellie Forbush's job?
2. The women on the naval bases need extra security from ______________.
3. Why is Nellie upset about Emile's half-Polynesian daughters?
4. PT boats are sometimes characterized as ________________.
5. What is Captain Kelley's notable demeanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a milk run?
2. What is Atabrine and why do the men fear its side effects?
3. What foreshadowing does the author use in this story?
4. Who is the woman who is the center of the story in "Our Heroine"?
5. Why is Nellie feeling particularly vulnerable?
6. What does Bill do to pass time in his position?
7. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
8. Why does Joe face a court martial over the incident regarding mosquito netting?
9. What is the narrator's job on Norfolk Island and what does he see as an impediment?
10. What is the content of "The South Pacific" story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC is a classic work of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Michener uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the majority of the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Michener feel compelled to tell the stories from this time and place?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)