|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a Japanese AKA boat?
2. What type of disease does Joe get?
3. What country is saved with the destruction of the Japanese fleet?
4. Attacking an already-bombed Japanese-held island is called _________________.
5. Whose farm does the narrator and Tony Fry visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bill Harbison called a social snob?
2. Who is Emile De Becque and what is Nellie's relationship to him?
3. What does Bill do to pass time in his position?
4. What irony is revealed regarding the British treatment of prisoners on the island and the activities of the Allies now?
5. Who is Captain Samuel Kelley and for what is he responsible in the "Alligator" operation?
6. What is the secret operation called "Alligator"?
7. What is the content of "The South Pacific" story?
8. What is Atabrine and why do the men fear its side effects?
9. What is the job of the Remittance Man?
10. Who is Dinah Culbert and what is her relationship to Bill Harbison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Michener choose to use the first person narrator perspective for the stories? What does this point of view entail? What does this point of view allow? What is limiting about this point of view?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loyalty. Identify at least two examples about loyalty in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loyalty.
Essay Topic 3
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)