|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tony Fry's demeanor toward the Navy and Annapolis Academy traditions?
2. The narrator becomes a courier for battle plans sent to _______________.
3. During what time period does the narrator spend time in the South Pacific?
4. What is Captain Kelley's notable demeanor?
5. What is widely known about Harbison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bill Harbison called a social snob?
2. What is Tony Fry known for because there is so much down time on the islands?
3. What foreshadowing does the author use in this story?
4. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
5. What is the content of "The South Pacific" story?
6. What is the content of the "Coral Sea" story?
7. What does Bill do to pass time in his position?
8. Who is Ensign Bill Harbison and what is his role?
9. What is a milk run?
10. Who is Joe and what are the circumstances he shares with eight hundred other men in "Dry Rot"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Michener choose to use the first person narrator perspective for the stories? What does this point of view entail? What does this point of view allow? What is limiting about this point of view?
Essay Topic 2
TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC is a classic work of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the majority of the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Michener feel compelled to tell the stories from this time and place?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)