Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fighting the war in the South Pacific is different from fighting the war in Europe and __________.
2. Attacking an already-bombed Japanese-held island is called _________________.
3. What puts Harbison in a bad mood and makes him break up with the woman in #31?
4. What is a PBY?
5. What is the timing of the Alligator initiative?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the stops Bus makes in order to find liquor for Tony?
2. What are Bloody Mary's plans for Joe?
3. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
4. Why is Bill Harbison called a social snob?
5. What is the mood of the men before the strike and what do the men talk about beforehand?
6. What craft are involved in the invasion of Kuralei?
7. What happens when Luther Billis promises to set Joe up with some girls?
8. What irony is revealed regarding the British treatment of prisoners on the island and the activities of the Allies now?
9. Who is Emile De Becque and what is Nellie's relationship to him?
10. What is the irony of Denis and the Preacher being assigned to work in the cemetery as punishment?
Essay Topic 1
TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC is a classic work of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)