|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator ordered to do on Norfolk Island?
2. What is a PBY?
3. Where is the narrator sent in April of 1942?
4. From whom does Joe get his first letter sent by a girl?
5. Fighting the war in the South Pacific is different from fighting the war in Europe and __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's job on Norfolk Island and what does he see as an impediment?
2. Why does Joe face a court martial over the incident regarding mosquito netting?
3. Why does Tony Fry not get along well with Lt. Commander Charlesworth?
4. What foreshadowing does the author use in this story?
5. What does Bill do to pass time in his position?
6. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
7. Who is Emile De Becque and what is Nellie's relationship to him?
8. What happens when Luther Billis promises to set Joe up with some girls?
9. What is the content of "The South Pacific" story?
10. Who is Ensign Bill Harbison and what is his role?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the majority of the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Michener feel compelled to tell the stories from this time and place?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Tony Fry. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tony?
Essay Topic 3
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)