|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bus drink whiskey with after his rescue?
2. Who is the girl who wrote to Joe and then died in a car accident?
3. Who is the 22-year-old nurse that Harbison started to date?
4. What is Harbison's job on the island?
5. What is Nellie Forbush's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Denis and the Preacher being assigned to work in the cemetery as punishment?
2. Why do Bus and Tony want to make a stop on the island of Luana Pori?
3. How is Captain Kelley compared to Captain Bligh of the Bounty?
4. What is Atabrine and what do the natives use it for?
5. Who is Bloody Mary and how did she get her name?
6. What outrageous situation do the men encounter as they attempt to make their final landing in the beat-up aircraft?
7. Who is Captain Samuel Kelley and for what is he responsible in the "Alligator" operation?
8. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
9. Who is Dinah Culbert and what is her relationship to Bill Harbison?
10. What is the job of the Remittance Man?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of duty. Identify at least two examples about duty in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Michener choose to use the first person narrator perspective for the stories? What does this point of view entail? What does this point of view allow? What is limiting about this point of view?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loyalty. Identify at least two examples about loyalty in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loyalty.
This section contains 1,558 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)