|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nationality of the Remittance Man?
2. What was Joe's job before the war?
3. What is a Japanese AKA boat?
4. Who is the narrator's commander in The Cave?
5. What is the nickname for the passage to Guadalcanal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Captain Samuel Kelley and for what is he responsible in the "Alligator" operation?
2. Why does Joe face a court martial over the incident regarding mosquito netting?
3. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
4. What is Tony Fry known for because there is so much down time on the islands?
5. Why are PT boats considered inadequate and what measures are put into place to help support them?
6. What foreshadowing does the author use in this story?
7. Who is Ensign Bill Harbison and what is his role?
8. What is Atabrine and why do the men fear its side effects?
9. Who is Dinah Culbert and what is her relationship to Bill Harbison?
10. What types of emotional angst does Nellie experience in this environment which is so different from her native Alabama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of duty. Identify at least two examples about duty in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the stories. Why does Michener use the setting he does? What is the time period of the stories? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)