|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what disease do many of the men stationed near the Coral Sea suffer?
2. Who is the narrator's commander in The Cave?
3. Who is the Remittance Man?
4. Who is the girl Tony Fry is having an affair with?
5. Where does Lieutenant Tony Fry want to set up his headquarters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the condition of the men in the "Coral Sea" story?
2. What is the narrator's job on Norfolk Island and what does he see as an impediment?
3. What is the content of the "Coral Sea" story?
4. What does the author show about the superiority of U.S. military might in the case of Bus being shot down by Japanese forces?
5. Who is Emile De Becque and what is Nellie's relationship to him?
6. What is the secret operation called "Alligator"?
7. What is the content of "The South Pacific" story?
8. What is the job of the Remittance Man?
9. What is a milk run?
10. What is Atabrine and why do the men fear its side effects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loyalty. Identify at least two examples about loyalty in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loyalty.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Michener's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)