Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fighting the war in the South Pacific is different from fighting the war in Europe and __________.
2. Attacking an already-bombed Japanese-held island is called _________________.
3. What puts Harbison in a bad mood and makes him break up with the woman in #31?
4. What is a PBY?
5. What is the timing of the Alligator initiative?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the stops Bus makes in order to find liquor for Tony?
2. What are Bloody Mary's plans for Joe?
3. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
4. Why is Bill Harbison called a social snob?
5. What is the mood of the men before the strike and what do the men talk about beforehand?
6. What craft are involved in the invasion of Kuralei?
7. What happens when Luther Billis promises to set Joe up with some girls?
8. What irony is revealed regarding the British treatment of prisoners on the island and the activities of the Allies now?
9. Who is Emile De Becque and what is Nellie's relationship to him?
10. What is the irony of Denis and the Preacher being assigned to work in the cemetery as punishment?
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Bloody Mary. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Bloody Mary?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the majority of the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Michener feel compelled to tell the stories from this time and place?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the stories. Why does Michener use the setting he does? What is the time period of the stories? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)