|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nationality of the Remittance Man?
2. What design does Admiral Kester order removed from a plane?
3. What type of disease does Joe get?
4. What are Emile's intentions toward Nellie?
5. What type of tree is famous for growing on Norfolk Island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ensign Bill Harbison and what is his role?
2. What is the secret operation called "Alligator"?
3. What is the job of the Remittance Man?
4. What is the condition of the men in the "Coral Sea" story?
5. What does the author show about the superiority of U.S. military might in the case of Bus being shot down by Japanese forces?
6. What is the narrator's job on Norfolk Island and what does he see as an impediment?
7. Who is the woman who is the center of the story in "Our Heroine"?
8. Why is Nellie feeling particularly vulnerable?
9. What irony is revealed regarding the British treatment of prisoners on the island and the activities of the Allies now?
10. Who is Emile De Becque and what is Nellie's relationship to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Bloody Mary. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Bloody Mary?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Tony Fry. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tony?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)