|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of tree is famous for growing on Norfolk Island?
2. Who built many of the buildings on Norfolk Island?
3. Why does Harbison tell the woman in #33 that he could not marry her after the war?
4. Who attacks the car with Emile and Nellie inside?
5. Who is the narrator's commander in The Cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joe face a court martial over the incident regarding mosquito netting?
2. Why does Tony Fry not get along well with Lt. Commander Charlesworth?
3. Why are PT boats considered inadequate and what measures are put into place to help support them?
4. What is the job of the Remittance Man?
5. Who is the Remittance Man?
6. What irony is revealed regarding the British treatment of prisoners on the island and the activities of the Allies now?
7. What is Atabrine and why do the men fear its side effects?
8. Who is the woman who is the center of the story in "Our Heroine"?
9. What does the author show about the superiority of U.S. military might in the case of Bus being shot down by Japanese forces?
10. What is the secret operation called "Alligator"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Bob Harbison. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bob?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the stories. Why does Michener use the setting he does? What is the time period of the stories? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)