|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What enrages Admiral Kester at one time?
2. In what branch of the military does Bill Harbison serve?
3. Where is Lt. Bus Adams shot down?
4. To whom does Nellie write a letter stating that she would marry him?
5. What are the only things destroyed in building the airstrip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are PT boats considered inadequate and what measures are put into place to help support them?
2. What types of emotional angst does Nellie experience in this environment which is so different from her native Alabama?
3. Who is the Remittance Man?
4. What is the job of the Remittance Man?
5. What does Bill do to pass time in his position?
6. What is the content of "The South Pacific" story?
7. Why does Tony Fry not get along well with Lt. Commander Charlesworth?
8. What does the author show about the superiority of U.S. military might in the case of Bus being shot down by Japanese forces?
9. Why is Nellie feeling particularly vulnerable?
10. Who is Joe and what are the circumstances he shares with eight hundred other men in "Dry Rot"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the majority of the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Michener feel compelled to tell the stories from this time and place?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Bloody Mary. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Bloody Mary?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of duty. Identify at least two examples about duty in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)