|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the only things destroyed in building the airstrip?
2. The women on the naval bases need extra security from ______________.
3. PT boats are sometimes characterized as ________________.
4. What country is saved with the destruction of the Japanese fleet?
5. What church is the narrator shown on Norfolk Island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Atabrine and what do the natives use it for?
2. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
3. Who is Ensign Bill Harbison and what is his role?
4. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
5. What does the author show about the superiority of U.S. military might in the case of Bus being shot down by Japanese forces?
6. Why is Joe conflicted by his orders to shut down Bloody Mary's trading post?
7. How does the letter Bill Harbison writes to his wife compare to the one Timothy Hewitt writes to his wife?
8. What is the sacred pig ceremony that the men partake in?
9. What is the secret operation called "Alligator"?
10. Who is Dinah Culbert and what is her relationship to Bill Harbison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of duty. Identify at least two examples about duty in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Michener writes most of these stories with a subliminal theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
Essay Topic 3
Boredom takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,558 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)