|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who built many of the buildings on Norfolk Island?
2. What was Joe's job before the war?
3. What is widely known about Harbison?
4. Who attacks the car with Emile and Nellie inside?
5. Why does Harbison tell the woman in #33 that he could not marry her after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the condition of the men in the "Coral Sea" story?
2. Why does Joe face a court martial over the incident regarding mosquito netting?
3. Who is the woman who is the center of the story in "Our Heroine"?
4. What is the job of the Remittance Man?
5. What does the author show about the superiority of U.S. military might in the case of Bus being shot down by Japanese forces?
6. What is the content of "The South Pacific" story?
7. Who is Captain Samuel Kelley and for what is he responsible in the "Alligator" operation?
8. Why are PT boats considered inadequate and what measures are put into place to help support them?
9. Why is Nellie feeling particularly vulnerable?
10. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michener writes most of these stories with a subliminal theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Tony Fry. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tony?
Essay Topic 3
Michener is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)