|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Admiral Kester's headquarters located?
2. What is Harbison's job on the island?
3. What disease do all the men on the small coral island have?
4. Where is Lt. Bus Adams shot down?
5. Who is the Remittance Man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Emile De Becque and what is Nellie's relationship to him?
2. What is the condition of the men in the "Coral Sea" story?
3. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
4. What types of emotional angst does Nellie experience in this environment which is so different from her native Alabama?
5. What is Atabrine and why do the men fear its side effects?
6. What is the secret operation called "Alligator"?
7. What is a milk run?
8. What is Tony Fry known for because there is so much down time on the islands?
9. What foreshadowing does the author use in this story?
10. Why does Tony Fry not get along well with Lt. Commander Charlesworth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Bloody Mary. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Bloody Mary?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the majority of the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Michener feel compelled to tell the stories from this time and place?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)