|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Lucy and Teta blow up on the island?
(a) A church.
(b) A bar.
(c) A retaining wall.
(d) A bulldozer.
2. What are Emile's intentions toward Nellie?
(a) He wanted to marry her.
(b) He wanted to see her exclusively.
(c) He just wanted a fling.
(d) He wanted to break off the relationship.
3. How old is Teta Christian at the time the narrator visited Norfolk Island?
4. What is at a premium on the small coral island?
5. What is widely known about Harbison?
(a) He was a social snob.
(b) He was gay.
(c) He was wealthy.
(d) He was epileptic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ultimately comes to Bus' rescue when he is shot down?
2. Who is Emile De Becque?
3. How many months has Joe been stationed on the small coral island?
4. Who is the Remittance Man?
5. In "Alligator", U.S. Admirals plot an attack on the Japanese-held island of ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
2. Who is Joe and what are the circumstances he shares with eight hundred other men in "Dry Rot"?
3. What is the narrator's job on Norfolk Island and what does he see as an impediment?
4. What is the content of "The South Pacific" story?
5. Who is the woman who is the center of the story in "Our Heroine"?
6. What is the content of the "Coral Sea" story?
7. What is Atabrine and why do the men fear its side effects?
8. What is the secret operation called "Alligator"?
9. What is the job of the Remittance Man?
10. What irony is revealed regarding the British treatment of prisoners on the island and the activities of the Allies now?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)