|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator ordered to do on Norfolk Island?
(a) Dig irrigation ditches.
(b) Set up communication stations.
(c) Train soldiers.
(d) Cut down trees.
2. Attacking an already-bombed Japanese-held island is called _________________.
(a) second helpings.
(b) a milk run.
(c) easy pickins.
(d) war strategy.
3. What disease do all the men on the small coral island have?
4. Where is the narrator ordered to go to manage a situation regarding a crucial airstrip?
(c) Pearl Harbor.
5. Who is the 22-year-old nurse that Harbison started to date?
(a) Sally Quinn.
(b) Maggie Sampson.
(c) Lee Stern.
(d) Nellie Forbush.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a PBY?
2. What is the timing of the Alligator initiative?
3. Admiral Kester is the leader of the attack on the island of ____________.
4. What is the nickname for the passage to Guadalcanal?
5. Why is Nellie upset about Emile's half-Polynesian daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What foreshadowing does the author use in this story?
2. What is the irony of how Kelley's discipline benefits the navy but is disastrous in his personal life?
3. What outrageous situation do the men encounter as they attempt to make their final landing in the beat-up aircraft?
4. Why are PT boats considered inadequate and what measures are put into place to help support them?
5. How does Joe accept Liat's marriage to Benoit?
6. What physical restrictions does Hoag encounter in the airstrip project on Konora?
7. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
8. Why is Bill Harbison called a social snob?
9. What concerns does Lt. Pearlstein have about a ravine and a coral hill on Konora?
10. Why do Bus and Tony want to make a stop on the island of Luana Pori?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)