|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is widely known about Harbison?
(a) He was gay.
(b) He was a social snob.
(c) He was epileptic.
(d) He was wealthy.
2. What drink does Tony Fry always have available?
3. What church is the narrator shown on Norfolk Island?
(a) The Grace Center.
(b) Norfolk Island Presbyterian Church.
(c) Melanesian Mission building.
(d) St. Sebastian Church.
4. Who is the girl who wrote to Joe and then died in a car accident?
(a) Alice Baker.
(b) Margaret Long.
(c) Patty Meyers.
(d) Susan McKenzie.
5. Who attacks the car with Emile and Nellie inside?
(a) Two Australian sailors.
(b) Three Japanese soldiers.
(c) Four American servicemen.
(d) A group of natives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the code name of the secret mission in "Alligator"?
2. Emile tells Nellie that he had to leave Marseilles because he _______________.
3. During what time period does the narrator spend time in the South Pacific?
4. Who is the girl Tony Fry is having an affair with?
5. What is Tony Fry's demeanor toward the Navy and Annapolis Academy traditions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Emile De Becque and what is Nellie's relationship to him?
2. What is the secret operation called "Alligator"?
3. Who is Joe and what are the circumstances he shares with eight hundred other men in "Dry Rot"?
4. What does the author show about the superiority of U.S. military might in the case of Bus being shot down by Japanese forces?
5. Who is the woman who is the center of the story in "Our Heroine"?
6. Why does Joe face a court martial over the incident regarding mosquito netting?
7. What irony is revealed regarding the British treatment of prisoners on the island and the activities of the Allies now?
8. What is Tony Fry known for because there is so much down time on the islands?
9. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
10. What is the content of "The South Pacific" story?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)