|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What enrages Admiral Kester at one time?
(a) Empty whiskey bottle.
(b) A stuck zipper.
(c) Cold coffee.
(d) Monsoon season.
2. What are the only things destroyed in building the airstrip?
(a) Stone buildings.
(b) Native homes.
(c) A church.
(d) Pine trees.
3. Who is the Seabee who helped Joe find girls?
(a) Luther Billis.
(b) Joe Willoughby.
(c) Eddie Franks.
(d) Mack Watson.
4. Emile tells Nellie that he had to leave Marseilles because he _______________.
(a) killed a man.
(b) broke out of prison.
(c) was a political incendiary.
(d) was a thief.
5. From what disease do many of the men stationed near the Coral Sea suffer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a PBY?
2. Who are the people associated with Fletcher Christian who settled on Norfolk Island?
3. What country is saved with the destruction of the Japanese fleet?
4. What design does Admiral Kester order removed from a plane?
5. Attacking an already-bombed Japanese-held island is called _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What irony is revealed regarding the British treatment of prisoners on the island and the activities of the Allies now?
2. What happens when Luther Billis promises to set Joe up with some girls?
3. Who is Joe and what are the circumstances he shares with eight hundred other men in "Dry Rot"?
4. Why are PT boats considered inadequate and what measures are put into place to help support them?
5. What is a milk run?
6. Why is Nellie feeling particularly vulnerable?
7. Who is Captain Samuel Kelley and for what is he responsible in the "Alligator" operation?
8. What is the job of the Remittance Man?
9. What foreshadowing does the author use in this story?
10. What is the narrator's job on Norfolk Island and what does he see as an impediment?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)