|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Emile's intentions toward Nellie?
(a) He wanted to break off the relationship.
(b) He just wanted a fling.
(c) He wanted to marry her.
(d) He wanted to see her exclusively.
2. Who does Nellie ultimately decide to marry?
(a) Bill Harbison.
(b) Tony Fry.
(d) Her boyfriend in Alabama.
3. Who built many of the buildings on Norfolk Island?
4. Who are the people associated with Fletcher Christian who settled on Norfolk Island?
(a) The Bounty people.
(b) The Christians.
(c) The Mutiny people.
(d) The Powanees.
5. Whose farm does the narrator and Tony Fry visit?
(a) Tia Christian.
(b) Milania Christian.
(c) Fletcher Christian.
(d) Teta Christian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname for the passage to Guadalcanal?
2. From whom does Joe get his first letter sent by a girl?
3. Who ultimately comes to Bus' rescue when he is shot down?
4. Who is the Seabee who helped Joe find girls?
5. Why is Nellie upset about Emile's half-Polynesian daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
2. What is the content of "The South Pacific" story?
3. Who is Dinah Culbert and what is her relationship to Bill Harbison?
4. What is the job of the Remittance Man?
5. What foreshadowing does the author use in this story?
6. What is the condition of the men in the "Coral Sea" story?
7. What is the narrator's job on Norfolk Island and what does he see as an impediment?
8. Why are PT boats considered inadequate and what measures are put into place to help support them?
9. What is Atabrine and why do the men fear its side effects?
10. What happens when Luther Billis promises to set Joe up with some girls?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)