|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator's commander in The Cave?
(a) Lt. Commander Smith.
(b) Lt. Commander Charlesworth.
(c) Lt. Commander Chamberlain.
(d) Lt. Commander Weston.
2. What item enables Joe to sleep better at night?
(b) A fan.
(d) Sleeping pills.
3. Whose farm does the narrator and Tony Fry visit?
(a) Milania Christian.
(b) Fletcher Christian.
(c) Tia Christian.
(d) Teta Christian.
4. How many months has Joe been stationed on the small coral island?
5. What puts Harbison in a bad mood and makes him break up with the woman in #31?
(a) He caught her with another man.
(b) His best friend was killed in Germany.
(c) He got demoted from his position.
(d) His brother-in-law got another Army promotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What college did Harbison's wife attend?
2. On what island is Bill Harbison stationed?
3. What does Harbison provide to the nurses who arrive on Efate Island?
4. From what U.S. state does Nellie come?
5. What is Harbison's job on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Atabrine and why do the men fear its side effects?
2. Who is Emile De Becque and what is Nellie's relationship to him?
3. What is the content of the "Coral Sea" story?
4. What is the secret operation called "Alligator"?
5. Why is Nellie feeling particularly vulnerable?
6. Why are PT boats considered inadequate and what measures are put into place to help support them?
7. What types of emotional angst does Nellie experience in this environment which is so different from her native Alabama?
8. Who is the woman who is the center of the story in "Our Heroine"?
9. What does Bill do to pass time in his position?
10. Who is the Remittance Man?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)