|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fighting the war in the South Pacific is different from fighting the war in Europe and __________.
2. Attacking an already-bombed Japanese-held island is called _________________.
(a) a milk run.
(b) easy pickins.
(c) war strategy.
(d) second helpings.
3. What puts Harbison in a bad mood and makes him break up with the woman in #31?
(a) He got demoted from his position.
(b) His best friend was killed in Germany.
(c) He caught her with another man.
(d) His brother-in-law got another Army promotion.
4. What is a PBY?
(a) Partially Boiled Yak.
(b) Amphibious seaplane.
(c) Peanut Butter Yogurt.
(d) Latrine duty.
5. What is the timing of the Alligator initiative?
(a) August 1943.
(b) December 1941.
(c) June 1943.
(d) November 1942.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Harbison's job on the island?
2. Who is the Remittance Man?
3. What is the Remittance Man's nickname?
4. What college did Harbison's wife attend?
5. Why does Harbison tell the woman in #33 that he could not marry her after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the stops Bus makes in order to find liquor for Tony?
2. What are Bloody Mary's plans for Joe?
3. Who is Lt. Joe Cable?
4. Why is Bill Harbison called a social snob?
5. What is the mood of the men before the strike and what do the men talk about beforehand?
6. What craft are involved in the invasion of Kuralei?
7. What happens when Luther Billis promises to set Joe up with some girls?
8. What irony is revealed regarding the British treatment of prisoners on the island and the activities of the Allies now?
9. Who is Emile De Becque and what is Nellie's relationship to him?
10. What is the irony of Denis and the Preacher being assigned to work in the cemetery as punishment?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)