|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the nurse Harbison dates who is 20 years older than he?
(a) Mary Ann Morgan.
(b) Mona Lou Henson.
(c) Dinah Culbert.
(d) Sarah Jane Steward.
2. What was Joe's job before the war?
3. What is a Japanese AKA boat?
(b) Missile launcher.
(d) Troop transfer ship.
4. What is Tony Fry's demeanor toward the Navy and Annapolis Academy traditions?
(a) In awe.
5. What is Harbison forced to censor?
(a) Soldiers' letters.
(b) Television programming.
(c) Soldiers' entertainment.
(d) Military messages.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what kind of liquor does Lt. Grant celebrate the destruction of the Japanese fleet?
2. What is the nationality of the Remittance Man?
3. Who attacks the car with Emile and Nellie inside?
4. What type of tree is famous for growing on Norfolk Island?
5. Why is Nellie upset about Emile's half-Polynesian daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a milk run?
2. Why is Nellie feeling particularly vulnerable?
3. Who is Captain Samuel Kelley and for what is he responsible in the "Alligator" operation?
4. Why does Tony Fry not get along well with Lt. Commander Charlesworth?
5. Who is Emile De Becque and what is Nellie's relationship to him?
6. Who is the Remittance Man?
7. What types of emotional angst does Nellie experience in this environment which is so different from her native Alabama?
8. What does the author show about the superiority of U.S. military might in the case of Bus being shot down by Japanese forces?
9. What is the condition of the men in the "Coral Sea" story?
10. What is the secret operation called "Alligator"?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)