|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is widely known about Harbison?
(a) He was a social snob.
(b) He was gay.
(c) He was wealthy.
(d) He was epileptic.
2. Who is the 22-year-old nurse that Harbison started to date?
(a) Lee Stern.
(b) Sally Quinn.
(c) Maggie Sampson.
(d) Nellie Forbush.
3. What is the narrator ordered to do on Norfolk Island?
(a) Dig irrigation ditches.
(b) Train soldiers.
(c) Set up communication stations.
(d) Cut down trees.
4. What was Joe's job before the war?
5. How many months has Joe been stationed on the small coral island?
Short Answer Questions
1. Admiral Kester is the leader of the attack on the island of ____________.
2. From whom does Joe get his first letter sent by a girl?
3. What is the malaria treatment drug that the men thought would cause them to lose their virility?
4. What does Joe refuse to do that results in his being threatened with court martial?
5. With what kind of liquor does Lt. Grant celebrate the destruction of the Japanese fleet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Bloody Mary's plans for Joe?
2. Who is Emile De Becque and what is Nellie's relationship to him?
3. How is Captain Kelley compared to Captain Bligh of the Bounty?
4. What does the author show about the superiority of U.S. military might in the case of Bus being shot down by Japanese forces?
5. What foreshadowing does the author use in this story?
6. What are some of the stops Bus makes in order to find liquor for Tony?
7. What irony is revealed regarding the British treatment of prisoners on the island and the activities of the Allies now?
8. Who is Dinah Culbert and what is her relationship to Bill Harbison?
9. Who is the woman who is the center of the story in "Our Heroine"?
10. How does Dr. Paul Benoway decide on not censoring Timothy Hewitt's letters to his wife?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)