|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many months has Joe been stationed on the small coral island?
2. What is Harbison's job on the island?
(a) Military vehicles officer.
(b) Mess Hall officer.
(c) Recreation officer.
(d) Procurement officer.
3. Who is the girl who wrote to Joe and then died in a car accident?
(a) Alice Baker.
(b) Patty Meyers.
(c) Margaret Long.
(d) Susan McKenzie.
4. What is the nickname for the passage to Guadalcanal?
(a) The Slot.
(b) The Slash.
(c) The Hairpin.
(d) The Alley.
5. What is Captain Kelley's notable demeanor?
Short Answer Questions
1. In whom does Emile De Becque take a romantic interest?
2. What is the code name of the secret mission in "Alligator"?
3. What is LARU-8?
4. What was Joe's job before the war?
5. Where is the narrator ordered to go to manage a situation regarding a crucial airstrip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What irony is revealed regarding the British treatment of prisoners on the island and the activities of the Allies now?
2. Who is Dinah Culbert and what is her relationship to Bill Harbison?
3. Why are PT boats considered inadequate and what measures are put into place to help support them?
4. What is the secret operation called "Alligator"?
5. Who is Joe and what are the circumstances he shares with eight hundred other men in "Dry Rot"?
6. What is Atabrine and why do the men fear its side effects?
7. What does the author show about the superiority of U.S. military might in the case of Bus being shot down by Japanese forces?
8. What does Bill do to pass time in his position?
9. What is the content of the "Coral Sea" story?
10. What makes the narrator decide to postpone the decision to cut down the trees on Norfolk Island?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)