|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the nun who prepares a meal at the hospital?
(a) Sister Aurelia.
(b) Sister Caroline.
(c) Sister Carmelita.
(d) Sister Clement.
2. Who does Joe tell about his affair with Liat?
(a) No one.
(b) His brother.
(c) His fiance.
(d) His best friend.
3. What article of clothing is Bus noted for wearing?
(a) Aviator cap.
(b) Red socks.
(c) Mickey Mouse watch.
(d) Bomber jacket.
4. How does Bloody Mary get her name?
(a) From betel juice dripping from her mouth.
(b) She had a scar on her cheek.
(c) She killed two husbands.
(d) She loved to fight.
5. During this frantic period of time the men are working _______ hours each week.
6. Captain Samuel Kelley is known for ________________.
(a) impeccable manners.
(b) working the men relentlessly.
(c) slacking off.
(d) being drunk.
7. Who is the Marine who is tasked with shutting down Bloody Mary's business?
(a) Lt. Mark Ellsberg.
(b) Lt. Joe Cable.
(c) Lt. Sam Wyatt.
(d) Lt. Eddie Ronson.
8. For what is the island of Bali ha'i known?
(a) It is the home of a drug smuggling ring.
(b) The young girls are kept there for their protection.
(c) It is the home of the Tiki bird.
(d) It is the site of Bloody Mary's trading post.
9. What does Bloody Mary want Joe to do?
(a) Marry Liat.
(b) Get her a boat.
(c) Buy knick knacks.
(d) Sell her black market cigarettes.
10. What does a ship's officer tell other men about Captain Kelley's daughter?
(a) She was homecoming queen.
(b) She died in a car accident.
(c) She got pregnant by an Army flier.
(d) She flunked out of college.
11. Joe falsely claims that he would not _________________.
(a) have sex with a native girl.
(b) smoke cigarettes.
(c) drink phony whiskey.
12. What do most men fear being drawn into during their military service?
13. What job does the narrator have during this operation?
(b) Whiskey runner.
(c) Liaison between commanders.
(d) KP officer.
14. To whom does Paul write a letter describing his life-threatening experience?
(a) His mother.
(b) His wife.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) His commanding officer.
15. How is the island of Konora shaped?
(a) Like a lightning bolt.
(b) Like a bent knee.
(c) Like an outstretched arm.
(d) Like a boomerang.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of business does Bloody Mary run?
2. Where does Joe take Liat to lunch?
3. What do the men consider putting on top of the airstrip to give it a tighter, smoother top?
4. Who is Bill Harbison's wife?
5. Why does Joe find it difficult to write a letter to his fiance?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)