|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Night Streets of Madness, where do Bukowski and the young poet sit?
2. What other distortion of truth exists, according to Bukowski in Eyes Like the Sky?
3. In Beer and Poets and Talk, what does Bukowski think of the poets?
4. Whose birthday is it towards the end of One for Walter Lowenfels?
5. How does the boy respond to the old man in Night Streets of Madness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bukowski's obsession with death and sex show up in Notes of a Potential Suicide?
2. Why does Bukowski cry after burning the blanket in The Blanket?
3. What does Bukowski think of people's taste in music?
4. What does the murder of Carol's zoo in Animal Crackers in My Soup represent?
5. What does a pest do, according to Bukowski in Notes on the Pest?
6. What happens at the end of the Flower Horse?
7. What does Bukowski think of citizens today in A Bad Trip?
8. What does Carol do for Gordon to help him in Animal Crackers in My Soup?
9. What does Bukowski think of current poets and comic strips in Eyes Like the Sky?
10. What does Bukowski think of sex in Purple as an Iris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"A Dollar and 20 Cents" displays a different side of Bukowski with the character being an old, weary man who is too weak to continue living in the world. Why does he feel he cannot continue in the world, and why does he welcome death? Compare and contrast the old man with the young people he conversed with early on in the story. Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
"Eyes Like the Sky" serves as something of a rant for Bukowski, and he complains about the state of comic strips and poets today. Describe what Bukowski thinks of current poetry and comic strips. Why does he have this opinion on these mediums? What does he see for the future of these mediums? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
"Notes on the Pest" focuses mainly on Bukowski's fans and his relationship with them. How would you describe his relationship with his fans, and how do you think his fans would describe it? You may use examples or evidence from other stories that describe his relationship with his fans.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)