|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bukowski hate the woman who has entered the shop in A Rain of Women?
2. What happens when the men and women's wards mix in Purple as an Iris?
3. What happens to Carol's animals one day?
4. In One for Walter Lowenfels, where does the man's daughter need to go today?
5. What does LSD do to a user's reality, according to Bukowski?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carol do for Gordon to help him in Animal Crackers in My Soup?
2. What does Tina represent in One for Walter Lowenfels?
3. What does Bukowski think of citizens today in A Bad Trip?
4. What does Bukowski think of current poets and comic strips in Eyes Like the Sky?
5. Why is the idea that every man can be a pest scary in Notes on the Pest?
6. What is Bukowski's idea of justness in his society?
7. What happens at the end of the Flower Horse?
8. What does a pest do, according to Bukowski in Notes on the Pest?
9. What does Bukowski think of sex in Purple as an Iris?
10. How do the older men contrast with the younger ones in The Big Pot Game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One recurring theme in Tales of Ordinary Men is balance between life and literature. Describe Bukowski's ideas on life and literature from at least two stories from the collection. Which is more important to him, and why? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the stories.
Essay Topic 2
In "I Shot a Man in Reno," runs into several people that cause him to be very self-critical. Why is Bukowski so self-critical? How do his own ideas of himself contrast with the ideas others have of him? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
"Notes on the Pest" focuses mainly on Bukowski's fans and his relationship with them. How would you describe his relationship with his fans, and how do you think his fans would describe it? You may use examples or evidence from other stories that describe his relationship with his fans.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)