|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bukowski take his car to the mechanic in A Rain of Women?
2. What are the young men in The Big Pot Game high on?
3. What is acid's virtue, according to Bukowski?
4. What is the name of the orangutan in Animal Crackers in My Soup?
5. In A Popular Man, who does a man tell Bukowski that his wife has been having an affair with?
Essay Topic 1
As the title indicates, "Too Sensitive" contains the theme of sensitivity. Describe the way sensitivity is displayed in the story. How does the narrator suffer from his own kind of sensitivity despite his thinking that he is not sensitive? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In Tales or Ordinary Madness, "A .45 to Pay the Rent" and "Doing Time with Public Enemy No. 1" are two different stories about men in some kind of prison. How is Bukowski different from Duke, personality-wise? How do they deal with their different trials in life, and who do you think handles their "imprisonment" better? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the stories.
Essay Topic 3
"An Evil Town" displays many acts of filth or "evil" with one seemingly righteous character seeing it all. Does Frank Evans turn out to be as righteous as he seems? Why or why not? Which act of hypocrisy is the strongest? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)