|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bukowski's current delusion in The Blanket?
2. In Purple as an Iris, who discovers Bukowski and the woman?
3. Where does Bukowski go after the mechanic?
4. What singer is Bukowski listening to in I Shot a Man in Reno?
5. What does Bukowski say about acid and the item in conjunction with it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bukowski think that current poets and comic strips create their art the way they do?
2. Why does Bukowski usually avoid talking about literature, and what reminds him of of this in Beer and Poets and Talk?
3. Why is the idea that every man can be a pest scary in Notes on the Pest?
4. Why does Bukowski cry after burning the blanket in The Blanket?
5. Why does Bukowski not go to the race track as planned in A Rain of Women?
6. What is ironic about Bukowski's observations in A Bad Trip?
7. What does a pest do, according to Bukowski in Notes on the Pest?
8. Who is causing all the noise with the car horn in Night Streets of Madness, and why?
9. How does Bukowski feel next to Jim in I Shot a Man in Reno?
10. What does Bukowski think of people's taste in music?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Eyes Like the Sky" serves as something of a rant for Bukowski, and he complains about the state of comic strips and poets today. Describe what Bukowski thinks of current poetry and comic strips. Why does he have this opinion on these mediums? What does he see for the future of these mediums? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Many stories in "Tales of Ordinary Madness" involve a serious addiction to gambling. Using at least two stories as examples, describe how gambling play a role in the main characters' lives. Describe the cycle of addiction. How does gambling affect the characters' lives? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the stories.
Essay Topic 3
"Scenes from the Big Time" and "Nut Ward East of Hollywood" are both two very different stories that still share some similar themes. How do the characters from both stories exhibit animalistic behaviors? Which one is worse? How do you explain their behaviors, and do the characters know how much they exhibit the behavior and actions of animals? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the stories.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)