Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What friend does Bukowski visit in I shot a man in Reno?
2. What does Bukowski do with his phone in Notes on a Pest?
3. What other distortion of truth exists, according to Bukowski in Eyes Like the Sky?
4. What is the name of the song that Bukowski is listening to in I Shot a Man in Reno?
5. What does Gordon approach a house for in Animal Crackers in My Soup?
Essay Topic 1
Many stories in "Tales of Ordinary Madness" involve a serious addiction to gambling. Using at least two stories as examples, describe how gambling play a role in the main characters' lives. Describe the cycle of addiction. How does gambling affect the characters' lives? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the stories.
Essay Topic 2
"A Dollar and 20 Cents" displays a different side of Bukowski with the character being an old, weary man who is too weak to continue living in the world. Why does he feel he cannot continue in the world, and why does he welcome death? Compare and contrast the old man with the young people he conversed with early on in the story. Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
One recurring theme in Tales of Ordinary Men is balance between life and literature. Describe Bukowski's ideas on life and literature from at least two stories from the collection. Which is more important to him, and why? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the stories.
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)