|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bukowski go during the conversation in Beer and Poets and Talk?
2. What is the name of the man's daughter in One for Walter Lowenfels?
3. In Notes on the Pest, what does a pest talk to Bukowski about at the diner?
4. What does Bukowski do with his phone in Notes on a Pest?
5. Where do Bukowski and the woman go one day in Purple as an Iris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the end of the Flower Horse?
2. Who is causing all the noise with the car horn in Night Streets of Madness, and why?
3. How does Bukowski feel next to Jim in I Shot a Man in Reno?
4. Why does Bukowski welcome death in A Popular Man?
5. What does Bukowski think of citizens today in A Bad Trip?
6. How does Bukowski's obsession with death and sex show up in Notes of a Potential Suicide?
7. What is different about Beer and Poets and Talk than the other short stories in Tales of Ordinary Madness?
8. How do the older men contrast with the younger ones in The Big Pot Game?
9. Why does Bukowski think that current poets and comic strips create their art the way they do?
10. What is Bukowski's idea of justness in his society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many stories in "Tales of Ordinary Madness" involve a serious addiction to gambling. Using at least two stories as examples, describe how gambling play a role in the main characters' lives. Describe the cycle of addiction. How does gambling affect the characters' lives? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the stories.
Essay Topic 2
As the title indicates, "Too Sensitive" contains the theme of sensitivity. Describe the way sensitivity is displayed in the story. How does the narrator suffer from his own kind of sensitivity despite his thinking that he is not sensitive? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Though all his stories are about humans, Bukowski continues to display how inhumane man can be, and "Love it or Leave it" displays the brutality of man. What acts of brutality or displayed in the story? Give at least two examples. Which act of brutality was the worst, and why? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)