|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Animal Crackers In My Soup, where has Carol spent time before?
2. What happens when the men and women's wards mix in Purple as an Iris?
3. Where do Bukowski and the woman go one day in Purple as an Iris?
4. What does Bukowski say in Notes on a Pest that every man has inside him?
5. What kind of music does Bukowski think about in Notes of a Potential Suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "I Shot a Man in Reno," runs into several people that cause him to be very self-critical. Why is Bukowski so self-critical? How do his own ideas of himself contrast with the ideas others have of him? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
"The Stupid Christs" is one of a few short stories in the collection that has a discernible beginning, middle, and end that make up the plot. What kind of progress does Dan make through the plot of the story? What changes, and what doesn't change? What themes are associated with each section of the plot (beginning, middle, and end)? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
"Scenes from the Big Time" and "Nut Ward East of Hollywood" are both two very different stories that still share some similar themes. How do the characters from both stories exhibit animalistic behaviors? Which one is worse? How do you explain their behaviors, and do the characters know how much they exhibit the behavior and actions of animals? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the stories.
This section contains 1,383 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)