|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Reunion, from where does Harry return home?
2. How does Bukowski brush off the man in Great Poets Die in Steaming Pots of Shit?
3. Where does Bukowski return home to at the end of My Stay at the Poet's Cottage?
4. What does Lala do while in the store with her father?
5. Where does Bukowski stay one summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Duke's relationship with Lala in A .45 to Pay the Rent.
2. What is Bukowski's primal desire in Rape! Rape!, and how does he reveal it?
3. Describe Charles Bukowski's character in Doing Time with Public Enemy No. 1.
4. What kind of relationships does Bukowski form in My Stay in the Poet's Cottage?
5. What do Bukowski and Maxie leave the conversation with in A Quiet Conversation Piece?
6. Describe the character of Henry Chinasky in Would You Suggest Writing as a Career?.
7. How do pain and violence play a role in Nut Ward East of Hollywood?
8. How does Bukowksi obey social conventions when attending the wedding in The Great Zen Wedding?
9. In Great Poets Die in Steaming Pots of Shit, how does Bukowski feel about his fans, and why?
10. What is the fan's fault in thinking, according to Bukowski in Great Poets Die in Steaming Pots of Shit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Stupid Christs" is one of a few short stories in the collection that has a discernible beginning, middle, and end that make up the plot. What kind of progress does Dan make through the plot of the story? What changes, and what doesn't change? What themes are associated with each section of the plot (beginning, middle, and end)? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
"Scenes from the Big Time" and "Nut Ward East of Hollywood" are both two very different stories that still share some similar themes. How do the characters from both stories exhibit animalistic behaviors? Which one is worse? How do you explain their behaviors, and do the characters know how much they exhibit the behavior and actions of animals? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the stories.
Essay Topic 3
"Rape! Rape!" is a story in which human and animalistic traits run rampant. How do the characters exhibit animalistic behaviors? When does the human trait of lying appear, and how does it appear? Why does Bukowski become so confused after Vera lies? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)