|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Sneed do by the ocean?
2. Why is Bukowski incarcerated in Doing Time with Public Enemy No. 1?
3. In Reunion, from where does Harry return home?
4. Where did the narrator of Goodbye Watson go before he started attending horse races?
5. How much money does Harry owe the mechanic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bukowski say to Vera when she asks him if she is too fat in No Stockings?
2. Describe Mr. Sneed in A Dollar and 20 Cents.
3. In Cunt and Kant and a Happy Home, describe the highs and lows of Jack Hendley's horse races.
4. What does Bukowski think of revolution in contrast to Maxie in A Quiet Conversation Piece?
5. What does Bukowski realize in the jail cell in No Stockings?
6. Describe Duke's relationship with Lala in A .45 to Pay the Rent.
7. Describe the character of Signo in The Stupid Christs.
8. What does the young boy represent in Love it or Leave it?
9. Describe the moral code of prison in Scenes from the Big Time.
10. Describe the town in An Evil Town.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Animal Crackers in My Soup" has an abrupt and somewhat unusual conclusion. What happens in the conclusion? What does the baby represent? Why does the story end the way it does? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
"An Evil Town" displays many acts of filth or "evil" with one seemingly righteous character seeing it all. Does Frank Evans turn out to be as righteous as he seems? Why or why not? Which act of hypocrisy is the strongest? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Many different ideas and themes are connected in Tales of Ordinary Madness, but "Notes of a Potential Suicide" reveals connections that are more obvious. What connections are revealed in the story? How is the symphony connected to the Air Show event? What makes them memorable or important for Bukowski? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)