|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man interpret one of Bukowski's poems to be about in Great Poets Die in Steaming Pots of Shit?
2. Where does Bukowski return home to at the end of My Stay at the Poet's Cottage?
3. In Goodbye Watson, what athlete does the narrator have success with?
4. What does Bukowski ask the woman to do after he takes a bath?
5. Why does Duke's wife scold him in A .45 to Pay the Rent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the murder of Carol's zoo in Animal Crackers in My Soup represent?
2. What does Bukowski realize in the jail cell in No Stockings?
3. What does Carol do for Gordon to help him in Animal Crackers in My Soup?
4. Describe the character of Signo in The Stupid Christs.
5. Describe the town in An Evil Town.
6. What does Bukowski think of citizens today in A Bad Trip?
7. What does the young boy represent in Love it or Leave it?
8. Describe the moral code of prison in Scenes from the Big Time.
9. What does a pest do, according to Bukowski in Notes on the Pest?
10. What does the first woman in A Rain of Women remind Bukowski of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Stupid Christs" is one of a few short stories in the collection that has a discernible beginning, middle, and end that make up the plot. What kind of progress does Dan make through the plot of the story? What changes, and what doesn't change? What themes are associated with each section of the plot (beginning, middle, and end)? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
"Rape! Rape!" is a story in which human and animalistic traits run rampant. How do the characters exhibit animalistic behaviors? When does the human trait of lying appear, and how does it appear? Why does Bukowski become so confused after Vera lies? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
"Scenes from the Big Time" and "Nut Ward East of Hollywood" are both two very different stories that still share some similar themes. How do the characters from both stories exhibit animalistic behaviors? Which one is worse? How do you explain their behaviors, and do the characters know how much they exhibit the behavior and actions of animals? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the stories.
This section contains 1,771 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)