|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bukowski's friend in A Quiet Conversation Piece study to be?
2. Where does Bukowski go after he leaves jail in No Stockings?
3. What state is Bukowski in during the summer in My Stay at the Poet's Cottage?
4. In The Great Zen Wedding, what is Bukowski wearing?
5. What kind of writer is Henry Chinasky?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationships does Bukowski form in My Stay in the Poet's Cottage?
2. Describe Charles Bukowski's character in Doing Time with Public Enemy No. 1.
3. What does the narrator of Goodbye Watson think about literature?
4. Describe the character of Henry Chinasky in Would You Suggest Writing as a Career?.
5. In Cunt and Kant and a Happy Home, describe the highs and lows of Jack Hendley's horse races.
6. What does Bukowski say to Vera when she asks him if she is too fat in No Stockings?
7. How does the girlfriend insult her boyfriend in Too Sensitive?
8. Describe the character of Signo in The Stupid Christs.
9. What is Bukowski's primal desire in Rape! Rape!, and how does he reveal it?
10. In Great Poets Die in Steaming Pots of Shit, how does Bukowski feel about his fans, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Tales or Ordinary Madness, "A .45 to Pay the Rent" and "Doing Time with Public Enemy No. 1" are two different stories about men in some kind of prison. How is Bukowski different from Duke, personality-wise? How do they deal with their different trials in life, and who do you think handles their "imprisonment" better? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the stories.
Essay Topic 2
"An Evil Town" displays many acts of filth or "evil" with one seemingly righteous character seeing it all. Does Frank Evans turn out to be as righteous as he seems? Why or why not? Which act of hypocrisy is the strongest? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
"Notes on the Pest" focuses mainly on Bukowski's fans and his relationship with them. How would you describe his relationship with his fans, and how do you think his fans would describe it? You may use examples or evidence from other stories that describe his relationship with his fans.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)