|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Rape! Rape!, who does Bukowski see upon getting out of the bathroom?
2. Who does Chinasky avoid at a party?
3. What is the name of Dan's friend in No Stockings?
4. What author does the narrator name in describing something about himself in Goodbye Watson?
5. How does Bukowski think of his conversation with his friend in A Quiet Conversation Piece?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Great Poets Die in Steaming Pots of Shit, how does Bukowski feel about his fans, and why?
2. What does the young boy represent in Love it or Leave it?
3. What does the narrator of Goodbye Watson think about literature?
4. In My Stay in the Poet's Cottage, how does Bukowski reply to the editor who is shocked at his walking in the stifling heat rather than wait for the bus?
5. How do pain and violence play a role in Nut Ward East of Hollywood?
6. What kind of relationships does Bukowski form in My Stay in the Poet's Cottage?
7. Describe the moral code of prison in Scenes from the Big Time.
8. What does the narrator say he will require of his creative writing students in Goodbye Watson?
9. How is the foreman in Love it or Leave it cruel?
10. Describe the character of Frank Evans in An Evil Town.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different ideas and themes are connected in Tales of Ordinary Madness, but "Notes of a Potential Suicide" reveals connections that are more obvious. What connections are revealed in the story? How is the symphony connected to the Air Show event? What makes them memorable or important for Bukowski? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
"An Evil Town" displays many acts of filth or "evil" with one seemingly righteous character seeing it all. Does Frank Evans turn out to be as righteous as he seems? Why or why not? Which act of hypocrisy is the strongest? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Though all his stories are about humans, Bukowski continues to display how inhumane man can be, and "Love it or Leave it" displays the brutality of man. What acts of brutality or displayed in the story? Give at least two examples. Which act of brutality was the worst, and why? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)