|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Sneed do by the ocean?
2. What does the desk clerk give Frank?
3. Where does Dan spend much of his time while at work?
4. In A Quiet Conversation Piece, who does Bukowski sit with?
5. What does Frank describe to his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Charles Bukowski's character in Doing Time with Public Enemy No. 1.
2. What do Bukowski and Maxie leave the conversation with in A Quiet Conversation Piece?
3. How does the girlfriend insult her boyfriend in Too Sensitive?
4. Describe Mr. Sneed in A Dollar and 20 Cents.
5. What is Harry driven by in Reunion?
6. What kind of relationships does Bukowski form in My Stay in the Poet's Cottage?
7. Describe the moral code of prison in Scenes from the Big Time.
8. What does the narrator say he will require of his creative writing students in Goodbye Watson?
9. Describe Duke's relationship with Lala in A .45 to Pay the Rent.
10. What is the fan's fault in thinking, according to Bukowski in Great Poets Die in Steaming Pots of Shit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Animal Crackers in My Soup" has an abrupt and somewhat unusual conclusion. What happens in the conclusion? What does the baby represent? Why does the story end the way it does? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
"Notes on the Pest" focuses mainly on Bukowski's fans and his relationship with them. How would you describe his relationship with his fans, and how do you think his fans would describe it? You may use examples or evidence from other stories that describe his relationship with his fans.
Essay Topic 3
In "I Shot a Man in Reno," runs into several people that cause him to be very self-critical. Why is Bukowski so self-critical? How do his own ideas of himself contrast with the ideas others have of him? Make sure you answer each question with evidence and support from the story.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)