|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Beer and Poets and Talk, what does Bukowski think of the poets?
(a) Many of the greats have died.
(b) Many of the greats still live.
(c) The best of them are emerging.
(d) Great poets are gone forever.
2. Why does Bukowski hate the woman who has entered the shop in A Rain of Women?
(a) For her ugliness.
(b) For her intelligence.
(c) For her stupidity.
(d) For her meanness.
3. What does Bukowski think the young men in The Big Pot Game do with the language they copy?
(a) They cheapen the words.
(b) They rise above the original.
(c) He has no opinion.
(d) They copy them well.
4. In Night Streets of Madness, where do Bukowski and the young poet sit?
(a) On a porch.
(b) In the park.
(c) Inside the house.
(d) In the car.
5. What does Bukowski want to ask the person he imagines having a conversation with in In Night Street of Madness?
(a) Why the person killed himself.
(b) Why he left him.
(c) What he meant in his letter.
(d) To come home.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bukowski, in Notes on the Pest, what does a pest do?
2. Whose birthday is it towards the end of One for Walter Lowenfels?
3. What is the name of the orangutan in Animal Crackers in My Soup?
4. What does the woman that Bukowski approaches in I Shot a Man in Reno pull out?
5. What is the name of the song that Bukowski is listening to in I Shot a Man in Reno?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the idea that every man can be a pest scary in Notes on the Pest?
2. What does Bukowski think of current poets and comic strips in Eyes Like the Sky?
3. What does Bukowski hallucinate, and what is it associated with in The Blanket?
4. How do the older men contrast with the younger ones in The Big Pot Game?
5. Why does Bukowski welcome death in A Popular Man?
6. What does Bukowski think of citizens today in A Bad Trip?
7. Why does Bukowski not go to the race track as planned in A Rain of Women?
8. What happens at the end of the Flower Horse?
9. How does Bukowski's obsession with death and sex show up in Notes of a Potential Suicide?
10. What does Bukowski think of people's taste in music?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)