|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Doing Time with Public Enemy No. 1, why is Bukowski deemed unfit for combat?
(a) Poor physical shape.
(b) Excessive aggression.
(c) Excessive sensitivity.
(d) Mental illness.
2. What is the name of the beautiful woman in Rape! Rape!?
3. What author does the narrator name in describing something about himself in Goodbye Watson?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Charles Bukowski.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Jack Hendley.
4. Where did the narrator of Goodbye Watson go before he started attending horse races?
(b) Poker nights.
(c) Boxing club.
5. Why is Bukowski incarcerated in Doing Time with Public Enemy No. 1?
(a) For attacking someone.
(b) For robbing a store.
(c) For murdering someone.
(d) For dodging the draft.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Too Sensitive narrator's girlfriend tell him about Benny Adimson?
2. How does Bukowski brush off the man in Great Poets Die in Steaming Pots of Shit?
3. How does Bukowski feel after being charged with rape?
4. What does Bukowski buy with his food coupons in Love it or Leave it?
5. Why does Duke's wife scold him in A .45 to Pay the Rent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the moral code of prison in Scenes from the Big Time.
2. What does Bukowski say to Vera when she asks him if she is too fat in No Stockings?
3. How does the girlfriend insult her boyfriend in Too Sensitive?
4. In My Stay in the Poet's Cottage, how does Bukowski reply to the editor who is shocked at his walking in the stifling heat rather than wait for the bus?
5. What does the narrator say he will require of his creative writing students in Goodbye Watson?
6. Describe the character of Henry Chinasky in Would You Suggest Writing as a Career?.
7. What is the fan's fault in thinking, according to Bukowski in Great Poets Die in Steaming Pots of Shit?
8. What does Bukowski realize in the jail cell in No Stockings?
9. What kind of relationships does Bukowski form in My Stay in the Poet's Cottage?
10. Describe the character of Signo in The Stupid Christs.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)