|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dan spend much of his time while at work?
(a) In his own office.
(b) In Signo's house.
(c) At Griffo's.
(d) At the post office.
2. What is Mad Jimmy wearing?
(a) A brand new shirt.
(b) A brand new Panama hat.
(c) A brand new pair of shoes.
(d) An old Panama hat.
3. In Scenes from the Big Time, what does the narrator do all day?
(a) Cleans the kitchen.
(b) Order around his cell mate.
(c) Cleans his cell.
(d) Cleans pigeon droppings.
4. How does Bukowski brush off the man in Great Poets Die in Steaming Pots of Shit?
(a) By yelling at him.
(b) By threatening him.
(c) By promising to visit him.
(d) By calling security.
5. What is the weather like where Bukowski is staying in My Stay at the Poet's Cottage?
(a) Average weather.
(d) Unbearably hot.
6. What does the narrator offer to his girlfriend in Too Sensitive?
(a) To get her a job at the post office.
(b) To get her a job at the workshop.
(c) To get Benny a job as his editor.
(d) To get Benny a job at the post office.
7. Why is Bukowski incarcerated in Doing Time with Public Enemy No. 1?
(a) For robbing a store.
(b) For dodging the draft.
(c) For murdering someone.
(d) For attacking someone.
8. What gift does Bukowksi give the couple for their wedding?
(a) A painting.
(b) A miniature house.
(c) A toaster.
(d) A miniature coffin.
9. Where does Dan go for his new job?
(b) Los Angeles.
(d) New York.
10. What does the Too Sensitive narrator's girlfriend tell him about Benny Adimson?
(a) He has been promoted.
(b) He quit.
(c) He has been hired.
(d) He has been laid off.
11. What does Bukowski think of his friend's suggestion for the United States?
(a) He said nothing.
(b) It will depend on how it is carried out.
(c) It will be good for the US.
(d) It will purge both the good and bad from the US.
12. What author does the narrator name in describing something about himself in Goodbye Watson?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Jack Hendley.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Charles Bukowski.
13. What does Mrs. Connors bring Mr. Sneed?
(a) Homemade soup.
(b) Homemade casserole.
14. What are the other men like on the train in Love it or Leave it?
(a) Ragged and boisterous.
(b) Reserved and polite.
(c) Angry and silent.
(d) Friendly but loud.
15. Why does Duke's wife scold him in A .45 to Pay the Rent?
(a) Because he let Lala pick the groceries.
(b) Because he cheated on her.
(c) Because he spent too much money.
(d) Because he left Lala in the car.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Rape! Rape!, where does Bukowski follow the woman he sees?
2. What is the name of Bukowski's friend who shares a woman with him in the beginning of No Stockings?
3. What does Mr. Sneed do by the ocean?
4. In Goodbye Watson, where does the narrator go after he wakes up?
5. Who has prevented Jack Hendley from preparing his bets in advance?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)