|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Socrates' opinion, what usually happens to the children of people who invent laws?
(a) They are respected.
(b) They are remembered.
(c) They are disrespected.
(d) They are forgotten.
2. What has Socrates caused Alcibiades to realize?
(a) That no one is aware of his lifestyle.
(b) That others do not approve of his lifestyle.
(c) That he should not change his lifestyle.
(d) That he needs to change his lifestyle.
3. What phrase does Socrates use to refer to the practice of learning?
(a) The hypothesis of the remembered hypothesis.
(b) The hypothesis of the changing hypothesis.
(c) The hypothesis of the higher hypothesis.
(d) The hypothesis of the forgotten hypothesis.
4. What example does Socrates use as a tale that has lived throughout generations?
5. In Socrates' speech, how does he describe someone who searches for wisdom?
(b) In between wise and ignorant.
(d) Neither wise nor ignorant.
6. How does Diotima define a spirit?
(a) Something that does not speak to either mortals or Gods.
(b) Something that divides mortals and Gods.
(c) Something that causes mortals to fear Gods.
(d) Something that connects mortals and Gods.
7. For what does Socrates give Agathon credit?
(a) Recommending love to only those who deserve it.
(b) Giving such a detailed definition of love.
(c) Giving such a broad definition of love.
(d) Recommending love to everyone.
8. According to Socrates, what ideas can a man become "pregnant" with?
(a) How to resolve conflict without wars.
(b) How to fight wars.
(c) How to best run a city and the nation.
(d) How to raise children.
9. Why does Socrates object to Alcibiades' idea for a speech?
(a) He fears Alcibiades will not be accurate.
(b) He fears the others will not understand it.
(c) He fears something nasty will be said.
(d) He fears something confidential will be revealed.
10. According to Agathon, who can love capture?
11. What does Diotima tell Socrates about Love's function?
(a) It allows the wise to feel ignorant.
(b) It allows humans to taste immortality.
(c) It allows humans to understand immortality.
(d) It allows the ignorant to feel wise.
12. According to Diotima's explanation, what will beasts die to protect?
(c) Their pride.
(d) Their offspring.
13. In Agathon's opinion, how does love win?
(a) By persuasion, never by force.
(b) Mainly by force, and sometimes by persuasion.
(c) By force, never by persuasion.
(d) Mainly by persuasion, and sometimes by force.
14. What part of Agathon's speech does Socrates compliment?
(a) The beginning.
(b) The ending.
(c) The middle.
(d) None of it.
15. According to Alcibiades, what type of music are Socrates' speeches comparable to?
(a) Flute playing.
(b) A string quartet.
(c) Piano waltzes.
(d) Tribal drums.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alcibiades compare Socrates to in his speech?
2. Whose permission does Socrates seek before asking Agathon questions?
3. What kind of literature does Agathon thank love for inspiring?
4. What complaint does the drunken Alcibiades have at the end of Part 7?
5. What is the source of the Platonic Dialogues?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)