|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Phaedrus' opinion, which ancient Greek writer agrees with Hesiod's theory?
2. According to Phaedrus, who are Love's parents?
(a) There is no record of Love's parents.
(b) The gods.
(c) The earth and the sun.
(d) The moon and the sun.
3. How does Eryximachus define symphony?
(a) An agreement.
(b) An agreement to disagree.
(c) A disagreement based on a previous agreement.
(d) A disagreement.
4. What is Eryximachus' suggestion for the flute-girl?
(a) That she play for herself or the women.
(b) That she continue to play as the guests speak.
(c) That she stop playing only when Socrates speaks.
(d) That she stop playing.
5. How does Socrates feel about drinking?
(a) He can either drink a lot, a little, or not at all.
(b) He does not drink at all.
(c) He can only drink a lot or not at all.
(d) He can only drink a little or not at all.
6. As explained by Phaedrus, how does Orpheus die as a result of his cowardice?
(a) He is beaten with clubs.
(b) At the hands of women.
(c) He is thrown off of a cliff.
(d) He is dragged through the streets.
7. Besides Apollodorus, to whom else has Aristodemus recounted the events of the party?
(b) No one.
8. Who firsts requests drinking in moderation at the party?
9. How does Eryximachus describe Pausanias' speech?
(a) A fair beginning with a fair ending.
(b) A lame beginning with a fair ending.
(c) A fair beginning with a lame ending.
(d) A lame beginning with a lame ending.
10. In Aristophanes' opinion, why do the gods make changes to humans?
(a) Out of the need for perfection.
(b) To earn the humans' trust and gratitude.
(c) To make sure that humans stay inferior.
(d) Out of mercy for humans.
11. As Pausanius explains, who is the oldest goddess of love's father?
12. What advice does Eryximachus give to Aristophanes before speaking in Part 3?
(a) To eat faster.
(b) To stop disappearing.
(c) To hold his breath.
(d) To write down his thoughts from now on.
13. How many legs does man have in the beginning, according to Aristophanes?
14. How many types of "creatures" does Aristophanes think there were in the beginning of man?
(a) Two types.
(b) Three types.
(c) Five types.
(d) Four types.
15. What does Pausanius think is the true test of a love's class?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which goddess does Pausanius associate with love?
2. What memory does Aristophanes believe humans are supposed to have of their creation?
3. What does Eryximachus believe to be the source of pestilence and destruction in nature?
4. What is Socrates doing while the other guests are eating dinner at Agathon's house?
5. Why are the speeches between Phaedrus and Pausanias left out of Aristodemus' account?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)