|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Aristophanes define love?
(a) The drive to regain a sense of oneness.
(b) The confusion of humans in an altered state.
(c) The drive to understand the need for oneness.
(d) The excitement of humans in an altered state.
2. How does Eryximachus define astronomy?
(a) The study of how the stars affect love.
(b) The study of the stars and their agreement with love.
(c) The study of the stars and their opposition to love.
(d) The study of how love orders the stars.
3. According to Eryximachus, how many kinds of love exist in the human body?
4. Where does Phaedrus think that Achilles was sent after his death?
(a) The Islands of the Blest.
(b) Ionian Islands.
5. Which country does Pausanius use as an example of barbarian laws?
6. Why is Aristophanes unable to speak in his scheduled turn?
(a) He has the hiccups.
(b) He cannot remember what he wanted to say.
(c) He is not finished eating.
(d) He has disappeared.
7. What is the purpose of Aristophanes' speech, as he indicates after it is finished?
(a) To make fun of Pausanius, but not Agathon.
(b) To make fun of both Agathon and Pausanius.
(c) Not to make fun of Agathon and Pausanius.
(d) To make fun of Agathon, but not Pausanius.
8. What is Eryximachus' suggestion for the flute-girl?
(a) That she stop playing only when Socrates speaks.
(b) That she play for herself or the women.
(c) That she stop playing.
(d) That she continue to play as the guests speak.
9. Who firsts requests drinking in moderation at the party?
10. Why does Apollodorus have pity for rich men?
(a) Because they think they are doing something when they are doing nothing.
(b) Because they think they are doing nothing when they are doing something.
(c) Because they have more money than they can possibly spend.
(d) Because they never seem to have enough money no matter how much they make.
11. Who is Apollodorus talking with at the beginning of Symposium?
(a) A soldier.
(c) A companion.
12. As related by Apollodorus, how many years has Agathon not resided at Athens?
(a) Agathon still resides in Athens.
(b) Only one year.
(c) Many years.
(d) Only a few years.
13. In Pausanius' opinion, how many goddesses of love are there?
14. What are the doors like when Aristodemus reaches Agathon's house?
(a) They are closed and locked.
(b) They are closed, but unlocked.
(c) They are slightly open.
(d) They are wide open.
15. In Eryximachus' opinion, what can the best physician do?
(a) Appreciate the different forms of love.
(b) Separate the different forms of love.
(c) Ignore love's existence.
(d) Analyze the different forms of love.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates feel about drinking?
2. When does Agathon's sacrifice of victory take place?
3. Besides Apollodorus, to whom else has Aristodemus recounted the events of the party?
4. According to Aristophanes, how many faces does man begin with?
5. According to Phaedrus, who are Love's parents?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)