|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Socrates doing while the other guests are eating dinner at Agathon's house?
2. What princess does Phaedrus use as an example for a sacrifice made out of Love?
3. Who has an argument at the end of Aristophanes' speech?
(a) Socrates and Aristophanes.
(b) Aristophanes and Agathon.
(c) Socrates and Agathon.
(d) Socrates, Aristophanes, and Agathon.
4. According to Phaedrus, which other motive is able to implant as well as Love?
(d) No other motive.
5. What are the doors like when Aristodemus reaches Agathon's house?
(a) They are slightly open.
(b) They are wide open.
(c) They are closed and locked.
(d) They are closed, but unlocked.
6. What does Aristophanes state that mankind does not understand?
(a) The hypocrisy of Love.
(b) The necessity of Love.
(c) The power of Love.
(d) The wisdom of Love.
7. Which one of the following is not one of the features that Aristophanes includes in his description of what humans were once like?
(a) They could roll over at great speeds.
(b) They could walk backwards or forwards.
(c) They could move objects through telepathy.
(d) They had four ears.
8. As used in Eryximachus' speech, what does the word "licentiousness" mean?
(a) Imposing restraint.
(b) Lacking restraint.
(c) Containing incomprehensible restraints.
(d) Containing too much restraint.
9. What does Eryximachus interpret Heraclitus' words to mean?
(a) Music is the further division of opposites.
(b) Music features similar and opposite factors.
(c) Music has a reconciliation of opposites.
(d) Music features only similar factors.
10. What does astronomy inform people of, according to Eryximachus?
(a) Why to make sacrifices.
(b) The best ways to make sacrifices.
(c) Which sacrifices to make.
(d) When to make sacrifices.
11. What was Eryximachus' ancestor, Asclepius, an expert in?
(a) Gymnastic and husbandry.
(b) Neither gymnastic nor husbandry.
(c) Gymnastic, but not husbandry.
(d) Husbandry, but not gymnastic.
12. In Pausanius' opinion, how many goddesses of love are there?
13. What news does Agathon give to Aristodemus when he arrives?
(a) That Socrates insisted that Aristodemus be invited.
(b) That Agathon could not find Aristodemus to invite him the day before.
(c) That Agathon forgot to invite Aristodemus the day before.
(d) That the other guests insisted that Aristodemus be invited.
14. What causes the "man-woman" creatures in Aristophanes' story to become adulterers?
15. According to Eryximachus, what elements create rhythm?
(a) Short, medium length, and long.
(b) Medium length and long.
(c) Short and medium length.
(d) Short and long.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Aristophanes explains, what part of the body is extra skin used to form?
2. Why does Apollodorus think that rich men pity him?
3. What advice does Eryximachus give to Aristophanes before speaking in Part 3?
4. In Eryximachus' opinion, what is education in musical terms?
5. Why does Apollodorus have pity for rich men?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)