|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which goddess does Pausanius associate with love?
2. How does Eryximachus describe Polyhymnia?
3. What is the order of the three things in Hesiod's theory, as referenced by Phaedrus?
(a) First Earth, then Love and Chaos.
(b) First Chaos, then Earth and Love.
(c) First Love, then Earth and Chaos.
(d) First Earth, then Chaos and Love.
4. As Aristophanes explains, what part of the body is extra skin used to form?
(a) The fingers.
(b) The belly button.
(c) The nose.
(d) The toes.
5. What news does Agathon give to Aristodemus when he arrives?
(a) That the other guests insisted that Aristodemus be invited.
(b) That Agathon could not find Aristodemus to invite him the day before.
(c) That Agathon forgot to invite Aristodemus the day before.
(d) That Socrates insisted that Aristodemus be invited.
6. In Pausanius' opinion, how many goddesses of love are there?
7. Where does Phaedrus think that Achilles was sent after his death?
(a) Ionian Islands.
(d) The Islands of the Blest.
8. In Eryximachus' opinion, what can the best physician do?
(a) Appreciate the different forms of love.
(b) Ignore love's existence.
(c) Separate the different forms of love.
(d) Analyze the different forms of love.
9. How does Eryximachus define astronomy?
(a) The study of the stars and their opposition to love.
(b) The study of the stars and their agreement with love.
(c) The study of how love orders the stars.
(d) The study of how the stars affect love.
10. What statement about music does Eryximachus think is absurd?
(a) Harmony is contradicting.
(b) Melody is contradicting.
(c) Melody is discord.
(d) Harmony is discord.
11. What princess does Phaedrus use as an example for a sacrifice made out of Love?
12. As used in Eryximachus' speech, what does the word "licentiousness" mean?
(a) Containing too much restraint.
(b) Containing incomprehensible restraints.
(c) Imposing restraint.
(d) Lacking restraint.
13. Who firsts requests drinking in moderation at the party?
14. According to Eryximachus, how many kinds of love exist in the human body?
15. Why does Socrates refuse to attend Agathon's sacrifice of victory?
(a) He does not approve of many of the guests.
(b) He does not agree with Agathon's victory.
(c) He fears the crowd.
(d) He fears not enough people would be there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides Apollodorus, to whom else has Aristodemus recounted the events of the party?
2. As Pausanius explains, who is the oldest goddess of love's father?
3. Why is Aristophanes unable to speak in his scheduled turn?
4. When does Agathon's sacrifice of victory take place?
5. How does Socrates respond to the idea of speaking about love?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)