|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eryximachus, how many kinds of love exist in the human body?
2. What fear does Aristophanes have before making his speech?
(a) That people will laugh at it.
(b) That people will disagree with it.
(c) That people will not understand it.
(d) That people will not enjoy it.
3. In Eryximachus' opinion, what is education in musical terms?
(a) The composition of new songs.
(b) The analysis of an existing composition.
(c) The correct performance of an existing composition.
(d) The criticism of new songs.
4. What princess does Phaedrus use as an example for a sacrifice made out of Love?
5. According to Phaedrus' story, how could Achilles have avoided death?
(a) By slaying Agamemnon.
(b) By slaying Hector.
(c) By not slaying Hector.
(d) By not slaying Agamemnon.
6. According to Aristophanes, how many faces does man begin with?
7. Who interrupts the argument at the end of Part 4?
8. What three elements share a harmonious love in nature, as stated by Eryximachus?
(a) Animals, water, and plants.
(b) People, animals, and plants,
(c) People, animals, and water.
(d) People, water, and plants.
9. Besides Apollodorus, to whom else has Aristodemus recounted the events of the party?
(d) No one.
10. As Eryximachus explains, what is harmony composed of?
(a) Only high notes.
(b) Only low notes.
(c) Neither high nor low notes.
(d) High and low notes.
11. How does Aristophanes define love?
(a) The drive to understand the need for oneness.
(b) The excitement of humans in an altered state.
(c) The confusion of humans in an altered state.
(d) The drive to regain a sense of oneness.
12. According to Eryximachus, what elements create rhythm?
(a) Short and medium length.
(b) Short and long.
(c) Short, medium length, and long.
(d) Medium length and long.
13. According to Phaedrus, who are Love's parents?
(a) The earth and the sun.
(b) The moon and the sun.
(c) The gods.
(d) There is no record of Love's parents.
14. What advice does Eryximachus give to Aristophanes before speaking in Part 3?
(a) To write down his thoughts from now on.
(b) To stop disappearing.
(c) To hold his breath.
(d) To eat faster.
15. Where is Socrates before entering Agathon's house?
(a) The portico of a house that is two houses away.
(b) The dining room of the neighboring house.
(c) The dining room of a house that is two houses away.
(d) The portico of the neighboring house.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Eryximachus' opinion, what can the best physician do?
2. Which country does Pausanius use as an example of barbarian laws?
3. How does Eryximachus describe Polyhymnia?
4. Why does Apollodorus think that rich men pity him?
5. Who requests that Socrates sit near him at the party?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)