|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Apollodorus' old name?
(a) Apollodorus the wise man.
(b) Apollodorus the thinker.
(c) Apollodorus the orator.
(d) Apollodorus the madman.
2. How does Eryximachus define symphony?
(a) A disagreement based on a previous agreement.
(b) A disagreement.
(c) An agreement.
(d) An agreement to disagree.
3. What does Eryximachus interpret Heraclitus' words to mean?
(a) Music features similar and opposite factors.
(b) Music has a reconciliation of opposites.
(c) Music features only similar factors.
(d) Music is the further division of opposites.
4. Whose thoughts inspire the guests to speak about love at the party?
5. Which goddess does Pausanius associate with love?
6. What does Eryximachus say about his omission of certain things in his speech?
(a) He cannot remember any more.
(b) He maintains that he did not leave anything out.
(c) It is intentional.
(d) It is not intentional.
7. How is the muse, Urania, described in Eryximachus' speech?
(a) Fair, but not heavenly.
(b) Heavenly, but unfair.
(c) Neither fair nor heavenly.
(d) Fair and heavenly.
8. In Pausanius' opinion, how many goddesses of love are there?
9. As Aristophanes explains, what part of the body is extra skin used to form?
(a) The fingers.
(b) The toes.
(c) The belly button.
(d) The nose.
10. What statement about music does Eryximachus think is absurd?
(a) Melody is contradicting.
(b) Harmony is discord.
(c) Harmony is contradicting.
(d) Melody is discord.
11. What princess does Phaedrus use as an example for a sacrifice made out of Love?
12. Why does Apollodorus have pity for rich men?
(a) Because they think they are doing something when they are doing nothing.
(b) Because they never seem to have enough money no matter how much they make.
(c) Because they have more money than they can possibly spend.
(d) Because they think they are doing nothing when they are doing something.
13. What does Pausanius think is the true test of a love's class?
14. According to Eryximachus, how many kinds of love exist in the human body?
15. In Eryximachus' opinion, what is education in musical terms?
(a) The criticism of new songs.
(b) The composition of new songs.
(c) The correct performance of an existing composition.
(d) The analysis of an existing composition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Socrates doing while the other guests are eating dinner at Agathon's house?
2. When does Agathon's sacrifice of victory take place?
3. How does Eryximachus describe Polyhymnia?
4. Which one of the following is not an example that Eryximachus uses to describe the hostile elements?
5. What does Eryximachus believe to be the source of pestilence and destruction in nature?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)