|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Apollodorus talking with at the beginning of <i>Symposium</i>?
(a) A companion.
(b) A soldier.
2. What was Eryximachus' ancestor, Asclepius, an expert in?
(a) Gymnastic, but not husbandry.
(b) Husbandry, but not gymnastic.
(c) Gymnastic and husbandry.
(d) Neither gymnastic nor husbandry.
3. When does Agathon's sacrifice of victory take place?
(a) Two days before the party.
(b) The day before the party.
(c) One week before the party.
(d) Two weeks before the party.
4. Who requests that Socrates sit near him at the party?
5. Which one of the following is not an example that Eryximachus uses to describe the hostile elements?
(a) Moist and dry.
(b) Hot and cold.
(c) Hard and soft.
(d) Bitter and sweet.
6. According to Phaedrus' story, how could Achilles have avoided death?
(a) By slaying Hector.
(b) By slaying Agamemnon.
(c) By not slaying Agamemnon.
(d) By not slaying Hector.
7. Where is Socrates before entering Agathon's house?
(a) The portico of the neighboring house.
(b) The dining room of a house that is two houses away.
(c) The dining room of the neighboring house.
(d) The portico of a house that is two houses away.
8. What is the purpose of Aristophanes' speech, as he indicates after it is finished?
(a) To make fun of Agathon, but not Pausanius.
(b) To make fun of both Agathon and Pausanius.
(c) Not to make fun of Agathon and Pausanius.
(d) To make fun of Pausanius, but not Agathon.
9. How does Socrates appear when he meets Aristodemus before going to the party?
(a) Neither bathed nor wearing sandals.
(b) Bathed and in sandals.
(c) Bathed, but not in sandals.
(d) Wearing sandals, but not bathed.
10. Which one of the following is not one of the features that Aristophanes includes in his description of what humans were once like?
(a) They could roll over at great speeds.
(b) They had four ears.
(c) They could move objects through telepathy.
(d) They could walk backwards or forwards.
11. With what animal does Aristophanes compare the "man-woman creatures"?
12. How does Socrates feel about drinking?
(a) He does not drink at all.
(b) He can only drink a lot or not at all.
(c) He can only drink a little or not at all.
(d) He can either drink a lot, a little, or not at all.
13. According to Pausanius, what is the love of the body rather than the soul?
14. What advice does Eryximachus give to Aristophanes before speaking in Part 3?
(a) To hold his breath.
(b) To eat faster.
(c) To write down his thoughts from now on.
(d) To stop disappearing.
15. As Pausanius explains, who is the oldest goddess of love's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. What fear does Aristophanes have before making his speech?
2. What example does Pausanius use in explaining the role of tyranny?
3. How many years has Apollodorus been talking with Socrates?
4. In Pausanius' view, who is the father of the youngest goddess of love?
5. According to Agathon, how does love deal with old age?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)