|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Eryximachus give to Aristophanes before speaking in Part 3?
(a) To hold his breath.
(b) To stop disappearing.
(c) To write down his thoughts from now on.
(d) To eat faster.
2. Why are the speeches between Phaedrus and Pausanias left out of Aristodemus' account?
(a) They are incomplete.
(b) He does not remember them.
(c) He does not think they are worth including.
(d) There are no speeches between Phaedrus and Pausanias.
3. How does Socrates appear when he meets Aristodemus before going to the party?
(a) Bathed, but not in sandals.
(b) Wearing sandals, but not bathed.
(c) Bathed and in sandals.
(d) Neither bathed nor wearing sandals.
4. According to Phaedrus' story, how could Achilles have avoided death?
(a) By slaying Hector.
(b) By slaying Agamemnon.
(c) By not slaying Hector.
(d) By not slaying Agamemnon.
5. What does astronomy inform people of, according to Eryximachus?
(a) When to make sacrifices.
(b) Why to make sacrifices.
(c) Which sacrifices to make.
(d) The best ways to make sacrifices.
6. What memory does Aristophanes believe humans are supposed to have of their creation?
(a) Subconscious, but not unconscious.
(b) Conscious, and not subconscious.
(c) Subconscious or unconscious.
(d) Unconscious, but not subconscious.
7. What is Eryximachus' suggestion for the flute-girl?
(a) That she continue to play as the guests speak.
(b) That she stop playing only when Socrates speaks.
(c) That she stop playing.
(d) That she play for herself or the women.
8. What fear does Aristophanes have before making his speech?
(a) That people will disagree with it.
(b) That people will not understand it.
(c) That people will not enjoy it.
(d) That people will laugh at it.
9. According to Eryximachus, how many kinds of love exist in the human body?
10. In Pausanius' opinion, how many goddesses of love are there?
11. What is Socrates doing while the other guests are eating dinner at Agathon's house?
12. According to Aristophanes, how many faces does man begin with?
13. How does Phaedrus describe Love?
(a) The youngest of the gods.
(b) A friend to the gods.
(c) The eldest of the gods.
(d) A relative of the gods.
14. How many kinds of love does Pausanius think there are?
15. Where is Socrates before entering Agathon's house?
(a) The portico of the neighboring house.
(b) The portico of a house that is two houses away.
(c) The dining room of a house that is two houses away.
(d) The dining room of the neighboring house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pausanius think is the true test of a love's class?
2. In Eryximachus' opinion, what can the best physician do?
3. With what animal does Aristophanes compare the "man-woman creatures"?
4. Where does Pausanius think the laws are perplexing?
5. Why does Apollodorus think that rich men pity him?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)