|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Agathon, how does love deal with old age?
(a) It fights it.
(b) It is unaware of it.
(c) It embraces it.
(d) It runs away.
2. Why does Apollodorus have pity for rich men?
(a) Because they think they are doing nothing when they are doing something.
(b) Because they have more money than they can possibly spend.
(c) Because they think they are doing something when they are doing nothing.
(d) Because they never seem to have enough money no matter how much they make.
3. What example does Pausanius use in explaining the role of tyranny?
4. As related by Apollodorus, how many years has Agathon not resided at Athens?
(a) Many years.
(b) Only one year.
(c) Agathon still resides in Athens.
(d) Only a few years.
5. Why does Apollodorus think that rich men pity him?
(a) Because they think he is misinformed.
(b) Because they think he is unhappy.
(c) Because they think he is ignorant.
(d) Because they think he is poor.
6. How does Eryximachus describe Polyhymnia?
7. Who firsts requests drinking in moderation at the party?
8. How does Pausanius describe the love taking place in barbarian countries?
9. As used in Eryximachus' speech, what does the word "licentiousness" mean?
(a) Imposing restraint.
(b) Containing incomprehensible restraints.
(c) Containing too much restraint.
(d) Lacking restraint.
10. In Eryximachus' opinion, what can the best physician do?
(a) Appreciate the different forms of love.
(b) Ignore love's existence.
(c) Analyze the different forms of love.
(d) Separate the different forms of love.
11. As Eryximachus explains, what is harmony composed of?
(a) High and low notes.
(b) Only high notes.
(c) Only low notes.
(d) Neither high nor low notes.
12. How many types of "creatures" does Aristophanes think there were in the beginning of man?
(a) Two types.
(b) Four types.
(c) Five types.
(d) Three types.
13. How does Pausanius describe the countries of Elis and Boeotia?
(a) Having gifts, but no eloquence.
(b) Having no gifts or eloquence.
(c) Having both eloquence and gifts.
(d) Having eloquence, but no gifts.
14. According to Phaedrus' story, how could Achilles have avoided death?
(a) By slaying Hector.
(b) By not slaying Hector.
(c) By slaying Agamemnon.
(d) By not slaying Agamemnon.
15. What is one of the points that Eryximachus makes with Urania's story?
(a) The avoidance of the temperate.
(b) The acceptance of the temperate.
(c) The acceptance of the intemperate.
(d) The avoidance of the intemperate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Agathon give to Aristodemus when he arrives?
2. According to Phaedrus, who are Love's parents?
3. What does Eryximachus say about his omission of certain things in his speech?
4. What effect does Phaedrus think Love has on a coward?
5. With what animal does Aristophanes compare the "man-woman creatures"?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)