|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eryximachus, how many kinds of love exist in the human body?
2. Who firsts requests drinking in moderation at the party?
3. According to Eryximachus, what elements create rhythm?
(a) Medium length and long.
(b) Short, medium length, and long.
(c) Short and long.
(d) Short and medium length.
4. How does Eryximachus define astronomy?
(a) The study of the stars and their agreement with love.
(b) The study of how love orders the stars.
(c) The study of how the stars affect love.
(d) The study of the stars and their opposition to love.
5. What advice does Eryximachus give to Aristophanes before speaking in Part 3?
(a) To eat faster.
(b) To stop disappearing.
(c) To write down his thoughts from now on.
(d) To hold his breath.
6. Who is Apollodorus talking with at the beginning of Symposium?
(b) A companion.
(c) A soldier.
7. With what animal does Aristophanes compare the "man-woman creatures"?
8. How many kinds of love does Pausanius think there are?
9. Which goddess does Pausanius associate with love?
10. According to Aristophanes, how many faces does man begin with?
11. Why is Aristophanes unable to speak in his scheduled turn?
(a) He has disappeared.
(b) He cannot remember what he wanted to say.
(c) He is not finished eating.
(d) He has the hiccups.
12. How many types of "creatures" does Aristophanes think there were in the beginning of man?
(a) Five types.
(b) Four types.
(c) Two types.
(d) Three types.
13. Where does Phaedrus think that Achilles was sent after his death?
(b) Ionian Islands.
(d) The Islands of the Blest.
14. What causes the "man-woman" creatures in Aristophanes' story to become adulterers?
15. Which one of the following is not one of the features that Aristophanes includes in his description of what humans were once like?
(a) They could move objects through telepathy.
(b) They could walk backwards or forwards.
(c) They could roll over at great speeds.
(d) They had four ears.
Short Answer Questions
1. What princess does Phaedrus use as an example for a sacrifice made out of Love?
2. Why does Apollodorus have pity for rich men?
3. As Eryximachus explains, what is harmony composed of?
4. What is the size of the audience that sees Agathon's play?
5. Where is Socrates before entering Agathon's house?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)