|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Eryximachus' ancestor, Asclepius, an expert in?
(a) Husbandry, but not gymnastic.
(b) Neither gymnastic nor husbandry.
(c) Gymnastic, but not husbandry.
(d) Gymnastic and husbandry.
2. Why does Apollodorus think that rich men pity him?
(a) Because they think he is unhappy.
(b) Because they think he is ignorant.
(c) Because they think he is poor.
(d) Because they think he is misinformed.
3. How does Phaedrus describe Love?
(a) The youngest of the gods.
(b) A friend to the gods.
(c) A relative of the gods.
(d) The eldest of the gods.
4. According to Eryximachus, what elements create rhythm?
(a) Short and long.
(b) Short, medium length, and long.
(c) Medium length and long.
(d) Short and medium length.
5. What does Aristophanes state that mankind does not understand?
(a) The wisdom of Love.
(b) The hypocrisy of Love.
(c) The necessity of Love.
(d) The power of Love.
6. In Eryximachus' opinion, what is education in musical terms?
(a) The criticism of new songs.
(b) The composition of new songs.
(c) The analysis of an existing composition.
(d) The correct performance of an existing composition.
7. What is Apollodorus' old name?
(a) Apollodorus the thinker.
(b) Apollodorus the orator.
(c) Apollodorus the wise man.
(d) Apollodorus the madman.
8. How does Socrates respond to the idea of speaking about love?
(a) He disagrees, because it is a subject that he does not know much about.
(b) He agrees, but adds that he does not know much about it.
(c) He agrees, adding that it is a subject that he knows about.
(d) He disagrees, although it is a subject that he knows about.
9. When does Agathon's sacrifice of victory take place?
(a) One week before the party.
(b) The day before the party.
(c) Two days before the party.
(d) Two weeks before the party.
10. According to Pausanius, what is the love of the body rather than the soul?
11. What statement about music does Eryximachus think is absurd?
(a) Harmony is contradicting.
(b) Melody is discord.
(c) Harmony is discord.
(d) Melody is contradicting.
12. What princess does Phaedrus use as an example for a sacrifice made out of Love?
13. Why does Apollodorus have pity for rich men?
(a) Because they have more money than they can possibly spend.
(b) Because they think they are doing something when they are doing nothing.
(c) Because they never seem to have enough money no matter how much they make.
(d) Because they think they are doing nothing when they are doing something.
14. How does Eryximachus define symphony?
(a) An agreement.
(b) A disagreement.
(c) An agreement to disagree.
(d) A disagreement based on a previous agreement.
15. How is the muse, Urania, described in Eryximachus' speech?
(a) Heavenly, but unfair.
(b) Fair and heavenly.
(c) Neither fair nor heavenly.
(d) Fair, but not heavenly.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, who changes proverbs about Agamemnon and Menelaus?
2. Who is Apollodorus talking with at the beginning of Symposium?
3. In Aristophanes' opinion, why do the gods make changes to humans?
4. What news does Agathon give to Aristodemus when he arrives?
5. What three elements share a harmonious love in nature, as stated by Eryximachus?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)