|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pausanius describe the love taking place in barbarian countries?
2. What princess does Phaedrus use as an example for a sacrifice made out of Love?
3. Which one of the following is not one of the features that Aristophanes includes in his description of what humans were once like?
(a) They could roll over at great speeds.
(b) They could move objects through telepathy.
(c) They could walk backwards or forwards.
(d) They had four ears.
4. In Eryximachus' opinion, what is education in musical terms?
(a) The criticism of new songs.
(b) The composition of new songs.
(c) The analysis of an existing composition.
(d) The correct performance of an existing composition.
5. Besides Apollodorus, to whom else has Aristodemus recounted the events of the party?
(d) No one.
6. Why does Apollodorus think that rich men pity him?
(a) Because they think he is unhappy.
(b) Because they think he is misinformed.
(c) Because they think he is ignorant.
(d) Because they think he is poor.
7. Who has an argument at the end of Aristophanes' speech?
(a) Socrates and Aristophanes.
(b) Socrates, Aristophanes, and Agathon.
(c) Socrates and Agathon.
(d) Aristophanes and Agathon.
8. What was Eryximachus' ancestor, Asclepius, an expert in?
(a) Neither gymnastic nor husbandry.
(b) Gymnastic and husbandry.
(c) Gymnastic, but not husbandry.
(d) Husbandry, but not gymnastic.
9. What causes the "man-woman" creatures in Aristophanes' story to become adulterers?
10. According to Eryximachus, what elements create rhythm?
(a) Short and long.
(b) Short and medium length.
(c) Medium length and long.
(d) Short, medium length, and long.
11. According to Pausanius, what is the love of the body rather than the soul?
12. What does Eryximachus interpret Heraclitus' words to mean?
(a) Music features similar and opposite factors.
(b) Music has a reconciliation of opposites.
(c) Music features only similar factors.
(d) Music is the further division of opposites.
13. According to Aristophanes, how many faces does man begin with?
14. Which country does Pausanius use as an example of barbarian laws?
15. Whose thoughts inspire the guests to speak about love at the party?
Short Answer Questions
1. What memory does Aristophanes believe humans are supposed to have of their creation?
2. What does Eryximachus say about his omission of certain things in his speech?
3. What are the doors like when Aristodemus reaches Agathon's house?
4. As Eryximachus explains, what is harmony composed of?
5. With what animal does Aristophanes compare the "man-woman creatures"?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)