|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Socrates appear when he meets Aristodemus before going to the party?
(a) Neither bathed nor wearing sandals.
(b) Bathed and in sandals.
(c) Wearing sandals, but not bathed.
(d) Bathed, but not in sandals.
2. What is the "art" that Eryximachus refers to as the inspiration for the ideas in his speech?
3. Where does Phaedrus think that Achilles was sent after his death?
(a) The Islands of the Blest.
(b) Ionian Islands.
4. What is Apollodorus' old name?
(a) Apollodorus the orator.
(b) Apollodorus the wise man.
(c) Apollodorus the madman.
(d) Apollodorus the thinker.
5. According to Eryximachus, what elements create rhythm?
(a) Short, medium length, and long.
(b) Medium length and long.
(c) Short and long.
(d) Short and medium length.
6. According to Phaedrus, which other motive is able to implant as well as Love?
(c) No other motive.
7. How does Pausanius describe the countries of Elis and Boeotia?
(a) Having both eloquence and gifts.
(b) Having no gifts or eloquence.
(c) Having eloquence, but no gifts.
(d) Having gifts, but no eloquence.
8. How does Eryximachus describe Pausanias' speech?
(a) A fair beginning with a fair ending.
(b) A fair beginning with a lame ending.
(c) A lame beginning with a fair ending.
(d) A lame beginning with a lame ending.
9. According to Pausanius, which type of people partake in the physical form of love?
10. Which goddess does Pausanius associate with love?
11. What example does Pausanius use in explaining the role of tyranny?
12. What does Eryximachus say about his omission of certain things in his speech?
(a) He maintains that he did not leave anything out.
(b) It is intentional.
(c) He cannot remember any more.
(d) It is not intentional.
13. What causes the "man-woman" creatures in Aristophanes' story to become adulterers?
14. How is the muse, Urania, described in Eryximachus' speech?
(a) Neither fair nor heavenly.
(b) Fair and heavenly.
(c) Heavenly, but unfair.
(d) Fair, but not heavenly.
15. When does Agathon's sacrifice of victory take place?
(a) One week before the party.
(b) Two weeks before the party.
(c) The day before the party.
(d) Two days before the party.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eryximachus describe Polyhymnia?
2. How many types of "creatures" does Aristophanes think there were in the beginning of man?
3. What is the order of the three things in Hesiod's theory, as referenced by Phaedrus?
4. How many kinds of love does Pausanius think there are?
5. In Pausanius' view, who is the father of the youngest goddess of love?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)