|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Pausanius, what is the love of the body rather than the soul?
2. Besides Apollodorus, to whom else has Aristodemus recounted the events of the party?
(d) No one.
3. Whose thoughts inspire the guests to speak about love at the party?
4. What does Aristophanes state that mankind does not understand?
(a) The necessity of Love.
(b) The power of Love.
(c) The wisdom of Love.
(d) The hypocrisy of Love.
5. What example does Pausanius use in explaining the role of tyranny?
6. As Aristophanes explains, what part of the body is extra skin used to form?
(a) The belly button.
(b) The fingers.
(c) The nose.
(d) The toes.
7. Which country does Pausanius use as an example of barbarian laws?
8. In Phaedrus' opinion, which ancient Greek writer agrees with Hesiod's theory?
9. Which one of the following is not an example that Eryximachus uses to describe the hostile elements?
(a) Hard and soft.
(b) Moist and dry.
(c) Bitter and sweet.
(d) Hot and cold.
10. How does Socrates appear when he meets Aristodemus before going to the party?
(a) Wearing sandals, but not bathed.
(b) Bathed, but not in sandals.
(c) Neither bathed nor wearing sandals.
(d) Bathed and in sandals.
11. How many kinds of love does Pausanius think there are?
12. Who has an argument at the end of Aristophanes' speech?
(a) Socrates and Agathon.
(b) Socrates, Aristophanes, and Agathon.
(c) Socrates and Aristophanes.
(d) Aristophanes and Agathon.
13. What does Eryximachus believe to be the source of pestilence and destruction in nature?
(a) When a season is overtaken by untested love.
(b) When a season is overtaken by violent love.
(c) When a season refuses to change on time.
(d) When a season changes before its time.
14. What advice does Eryximachus give to Aristophanes before speaking in Part 3?
(a) To stop disappearing.
(b) To hold his breath.
(c) To eat faster.
(d) To write down his thoughts from now on.
15. How many legs does man have in the beginning, according to Aristophanes?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Apollodorus talking with at the beginning of Symposium?
2. What is one of the points that Eryximachus makes with Urania's story?
3. Which one of the following is not one of the features that Aristophanes includes in his description of what humans were once like?
4. How does Pausanius describe the love taking place in barbarian countries?
5. How does Aristophanes define love?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)