|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 8, line 214a to 220a.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do humans walk upright, according to Aristophanes?
(a) They were split in half.
(b) They were not as coordinated walking on all fours.
(c) They were originally created to walk upright.
(d) They taught themselves to walk upright as a survival instinct.
2. How does Pausanius describe the countries of Elis and Boeotia?
(a) Having both eloquence and gifts.
(b) Having eloquence, but no gifts.
(c) Having gifts, but no eloquence.
(d) Having no gifts or eloquence.
3. According to Diotima's explanation, what will beasts die to protect?
(a) Their pride.
(d) Their offspring.
4. What causes the "man-woman" creatures in Aristophanes' story to become adulterers?
5. What reason does Socrates give for why people fight in wars?
(a) They consider the enemy to be evil.
(b) They are really fighting a war within themselves.
(c) They believe in the causes they fight for.
(d) They think their names will live on.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Socrates' opinion, what usually happens to the children of people who invent laws?
2. As explained by Diotima, how many people is a young person initially attracted to?
3. What does Eryximachus interpret Heraclitus' words to mean?
4. Why does Diotima think Love is not a god?
5. What advice does Eryximachus give to Aristophanes before speaking in Part 3?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)