|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, 184a to 190a.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the muse, Urania, described in Eryximachus' speech?
(a) Neither fair nor heavenly.
(b) Heavenly, but unfair.
(c) Fair, but not heavenly.
(d) Fair and heavenly.
2. Which one of the following is not an example that Eryximachus uses to describe the hostile elements?
(a) Bitter and sweet.
(b) Moist and dry.
(c) Hard and soft.
(d) Hot and cold.
3. According to Phaedrus, who are Love's parents?
(a) The earth and the sun.
(b) The gods.
(c) There is no record of Love's parents.
(d) The moon and the sun.
4. What is the order of the three things in Hesiod's theory, as referenced by Phaedrus?
(a) First Earth, then Chaos and Love.
(b) First Earth, then Love and Chaos.
(c) First Love, then Earth and Chaos.
(d) First Chaos, then Earth and Love.
5. In Eryximachus' opinion, what is education in musical terms?
(a) The criticism of new songs.
(b) The composition of new songs.
(c) The correct performance of an existing composition.
(d) The analysis of an existing composition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Apollodorus talking with at the beginning of Symposium?
2. According to Eryximachus, how many kinds of love exist in the human body?
3. What are the doors like when Aristodemus reaches Agathon's house?
4. Which country does Pausanius use as an example of barbarian laws?
5. What is the "art" that Eryximachus refers to as the inspiration for the ideas in his speech?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)