• The following version of this story within this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Hurston, Zora Neale. "Sweat." The Oxford Book of American Short Stories. University Press, 1992. Print.
• The story begins at eleven o'clock on a spring Sunday night in Eatonville, Florida.
• Delia is introduced by the narrator as a wash-woman who stays up late on Sunday nights in order to get a head start on the laundry she does for white people in order to make a living.
• She collects the dirty clothes on Saturdays when she returns everyone's clean clothes.
• On Sunday nights after church, she sorts the clothes and puts the white clothes in a tub to soak.
• She keeps the clothes in a large hamper in her bedroom in order to keep order in her home and to avoid having to makes several piles.
• Delia crouches on the kitchen floor...
This section contains 3,955 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)