|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katie decide she needs for more balance in her life?
2. What does Katie do when she finds Suzanne and Nicky's graves?
3. What does Lynn say about Katie?
4. What does Matt make for the baby?
5. What had Matt shared about his past that was so traumatic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Matt and Suzanne do at midnight on the day before Nicky's first birthday?
2. Why isn't Nicky with Matt and what does Matt wish?
3. Who does Katie think of calling and does she do so?
4. What happens when Katie finishes the diary and what is said in the letter attached at the end of the diary?
5. What does Suzanne learn from her cardiologist on a check up?
6. What is Katie learning from Suzanne's diary?
7. How does Suzanne fare as the days go on and what does she do once day with Nicky?
8. What happens after Suzanne is admitted to the hospital?
9. What had Matt's friends and coworkers done while Matt and Suzanne were gone from the house for three days?
10. What perfect memory do Suzanne and Matt create when in their son's room in the middle of the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" belongs to the romance genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the romance genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a romance and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in this story. Then consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas". Consider the death of Mike as an random act of nature and the death of Luis as the result of conscious violence. Consider also in your answer the death of innocence in Rick from the beginning of the book to the end.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)