|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katie do when she finds Suzanne and Nicky's graves?
2. Who has has accepted a poem from Matt for publication?
3. What is one thing Suzanne says about Nicky when he goes for his check-up?
4. How does she think of Matt while going to the island?
5. Why does Matt wish he had been in the jeep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who goes with Katie to the gynecologist's appointment, and how is Katie feeling as she waits to get in to see the doctor?
2. What is Katie learning from Suzanne's diary?
3. What perfect memory do Suzanne and Matt create when in their son's room in the middle of the night?
4. What does Katie remember about Matt as she is thinking about the diary?
5. What surprise does Matt arrange for the end of the wedding ceremony?
6. What happens when Katie meets with Dr. Sassoon?
7. What had Matt's friends and coworkers done while Matt and Suzanne were gone from the house for three days?
8. What does Matt tell Nicky about the accident?
9. How does Suzanne fare as the days go on and what does she do once day with Nicky?
10. Where does Katie encounter Melanie and what does Melanie tell Nicky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first scene in "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" begins with a traditional scene in a romance. A woman in a bathtub. All women know she will be either waiting for a lover or comforting herself because of a fight or break-up with a lover. The reader is told that the big, fluffy cat in the room with her is named Guinevere. To keep the romance and courtly love in full view of the audience is the Labrador named Merlin. There will be some type of magic.
1. What is a cliche? Do you think the comment about a woman in a bathtub is a cliche? Why or why not? Use examples from "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" and your own life to support your answer.
2. What do you think the author is attempting to do by naming the cat and dog Guinevere and Merlin? Use examples from "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" and your own life to support your answer.
3. What do you think is meant by the statement, there will be some type of magic, referring to the first fifteen pages of the book? Use examples from "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Rick and Lon. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Lon and Nuke. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" help drive the plot, and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of this book. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)