|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eva douse Plum with?
2. Who does Eva credit with saving her life?
3. What is the actual date of the holiday mentioned in #19?
4. Where does Helene move to?
5. What kind of funeral does Chicken Little have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sula's defense for the actions she has taken in her life?
2. What does Nel do because she is so upset about her interaction with Eva?
3. What did the farmer tell the slaves about the land?
4. What is the story of Tar Baby?
5. What was the problem with the land that the farmer gave away?
6. What are some of the rumors that begin to fly about Sula?
7. Who are Eva's children in the novel "Sula?"
8. What is the name of the town where the story takes place?
9. What does Eva have to say about Hannah's accusations?
10. What happens when the strong wind comes that is strange to the town? What usually happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
BoyBoy is one of the few male characters in this story. What is the role of the men in this story? What does this day about Morrison's views of female power and influence? What weaknesses does Morrison expose in the male gender? What advantages does female dominance seem to offer to the story? What are the downfalls of being a women in 'Sula'?
Essay Topic 2
When Sula has an affair with Jude, this seems to be the biggest blow to her friendship with Nel. Why did Sula have the affair in the first place? What is Nel's reaction? Why doesn't Jude go back to Nel? What does the affair seem to say about the dynamics between women and men as opposed to those between women?
Essay Topic 3
The moniker of the 'Bottom' is introduced from the very beginning as a way to differentiate the area in Medallion. What do you think this name is meant to signify? In what ways is the name appropriate? In what ways is the name not appropriate? What other names might be appropriate for this town? Who do you think came up with this name?
This section contains 1,758 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)