|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This neighborhood of the town started off as a "________."
2. Who says that she loves Sula, but she does not like her?
3. Whose house is classy, proper, and clean?
4. What does the strong wind bring, which is strange to the town?
5. What word does Nel want Helene to translate for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helene return to see her grandmother?
2. What does Hannah take to her mother on Thursday?
3. What causes Shadrack to be so frightened when he is in the hospital?
4. What does Sula threaten when she is talking with Eva?
5. Describe Sula and Nel in terms of their physical features and temperaments.
6. Why does Helene get married to Wiley Wright?
7. What has Eva done to her house over the past five years?
8. What does Sula overhear when she is using the toilet at her house?
9. What is the story of Tar Baby?
10. What is the newest interest of Sula and Nel as they go off on their random adventures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of National Suicide Day is one that seems almost humorous at first, but it takes on a darker tone. Why do you think Shadrack created this holiday? Why are others afraid of it? Why do you think he never really stops celebrating this day? What is the overall symbolism of this holiday for him and for the people of Bottom? How do you think the rest of the town feels about it privately?
Essay Topic 2
Jude Green is another interesting male character that seems to be lacking any power in the story. Why does he feel as though he is less than a man? What does he do to try to prove his manliness? Is he successful in his actions? What weaknesses does Jude exhibit? What does this seem to say about the role of being a man?
Essay Topic 3
Eva is constantly taking in new people into her home, but what are her motivations for doing so? What does she say her motivations are? What do you think she really wants from these people? How do her actions in taking people in affect those boarders? Are there any success stories of the people who have lived in her home?
This section contains 1,738 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)