Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the year this holiday begins?
2. What does Sula fret over?
3. Whose grandmother is trying to keep her away from a certain place?
4. Where does Shadrack find himself when he opens his eyes?
5. This neighborhood of the town started off as a "________."
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Nel marry in this section?
2. What does Nel think about her grandmother?
3. What was the problem with the land that the farmer gave away?
4. What does Eva have to say about Hannah's accusations?
5. Why does Nel act so cordial toward Sula after all these years?
6. Describe Sula and Nel in terms of their physical features and temperaments.
7. What does Hannah dream of after she cleans the beans for dinner and sees the Deweys with their laces tied together?
8. What did the farmer tell the slaves about the land?
9. What has Eva done to her house over the past five years?
10. What has been sparked in Nel?
Essay Topic 1
The use of fire is symbolic in many ways to this story. Give two examples of how fire is used in this story. What does the fire symbolize to the story? How does it help the characters? How does it harm the characters? Conversely, what is the symbolism of water in this story? How is it used and what does it mean?
Essay Topic 2
Eva is constantly taking in new people into her home, but what are her motivations for doing so? What does she say her motivations are? What do you think she really wants from these people? How do her actions in taking people in affect those boarders? Are there any success stories of the people who have lived in her home?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the scene that includes Chicken Little, Sula, and Nel. What happens in this scene? What do you think Sula and Nel both thought when he did not emerge from the water? Do they feel guilty about their actions at this point? Why or why not? Do you think Shadrack understands what has happened? Why or why not? What does this scene say about Sula?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)