|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is dark with unpredictable moments?
2. Who witnessed the horrific burning?
3. Where does Shadrack find himself when he opens his eyes?
4. What kind of work would it take to make the land productive?
5. The farmer told the slaves that the ______ were the best part of the land.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eva call the three children she's rescued from the street by one name?
2. What does Nel think about her grandmother?
3. What happened to BoyBoy, Eva's husband?
4. How did the people of the neighborhood named in #1 come to live there?
5. What causes Shadrack to be so frightened when he is in the hospital?
6. What does Sula threaten when she is talking with Eva?
7. What happens to Chicken Little?
8. What happens to Teapot, the five year old boy that knocks on Sula's door?
9. What are some signs that the Bottom is improving after Sula's death?
10. What does Sula eventually do to Eva?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sula's reputation in the town becomes the thing of rumors and whispers. What are some of the things people of the town are saying she is? What does this do to the rest of the town? What affect does Sula have on the town as a whole? What begins to change in the Bottom? What does this seem to show? Can one person really affect a town that much?
Essay Topic 2
When Sula has an affair with Jude, this seems to be the biggest blow to her friendship with Nel. Why did Sula have the affair in the first place? What is Nel's reaction? Why doesn't Jude go back to Nel? What does the affair seem to say about the dynamics between women and men as opposed to those between women?
Essay Topic 3
The moniker of the 'Bottom' is introduced from the very beginning as a way to differentiate the area in Medallion. What do you think this name is meant to signify? In what ways is the name appropriate? In what ways is the name not appropriate? What other names might be appropriate for this town? Who do you think came up with this name?
This section contains 1,801 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)