|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town in which the story takes place?
2. The slaves did the work and then asked for the "_________."
3. What is so special about the item in #97?
4. Who is light skinned, strong and consistent?
5. Helene tells her daughter she does not speak ________ and never will.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eva call the three children she's rescued from the street by one name?
2. Why did Eva kill Plum, according to her?
3. What happens when the strong wind comes that is strange to the town? What usually happens?
4. What is the date of National Suicide Day?
5. What does Sula overhear when she is using the toilet at her house?
6. Why does Helene's grandmother want her away from Sundown House?
7. What does Hannah dream of after she cleans the beans for dinner and sees the Deweys with their laces tied together?
8. What happens to Chicken Little?
9. What is Shadrack given when he leaves the hospital after his year long stay?
10. Who are Eva's children in the novel "Sula?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1When Hannah asks her mother if she ever loved her children, it becomes a heated debate. What do you think Eva thinks about her actions? Do you think she loves/loved her children? What are some indications that Eva did love and care for her children? Cite three examples of ways Eva took care of her children.
Essay Topic 2The idea of National Suicide Day is one that seems almost humorous at first, but it takes on a darker tone. Why do you think Shadrack created this holiday? Why are others afraid of it? Why do you think he never really stops celebrating this day? What is the overall symbolism of this holiday for him and for the people of Bottom? How do you think the rest of the town feels about it privately?
Essay Topic 3When Sula helps Nel with her wedding, she is excited that she is getting married and is happy. At the end of the wedding, however, Sula leaves and does not return for 10 years. Why do you think Sula was away so long? What does this say about her friendship with Nel? Do you think Sula was upset with Nel? Why or why not?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)