|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Eva's husband?
2. Why is Helene nervous about traveling?
3. What does the neighbor dump onto Hannah?
4. Who asks her mother if she really loved her children?
5. Who does Eva give 10 dollars to when she picks up her kids?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sula love the attention that Jude gives to Nel?
2. Why does Helene get married to Wiley Wright?
3. What does Eva have to say about Hannah's accusations?
4. How does Sula show her protectiveness when the boys approach her and Nel?
5. What does Sula threaten when she is talking with Eva?
6. What does Hannah take to her mother on Thursday?
7. What are some signs that the Bottom is improving after Sula's death?
8. What is the newest interest of Sula and Nel as they go off on their random adventures?
9. What does Sula overhear when she is using the toilet at her house?
10. What happens when the strong wind comes that is strange to the town? What usually happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sula returns to Medallion full of anger at Eva. What does Sula accuse Eva of? Why does Sula threaten Eva with burning her in her room? How does Sula get Eva committed and get guardianship over her grandmother? What does this say about Sula's attitude toward her grandmother? How does this shift her power? Does it?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Nel is upset in thinking about her life and about the death of Sula. What do you think Nel is feeling at the end? Does she really feel sad about Sula's death? Why or why not? What else might Nel be upset about? What does this say about the friendship between Nel and Sula? Had Sula apologized, do you think Nel would have forgiven her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The moniker of the 'Bottom' is introduced from the very beginning as a way to differentiate the area in Medallion. What do you think this name is meant to signify? In what ways is the name appropriate? In what ways is the name not appropriate? What other names might be appropriate for this town? Who do you think came up with this name?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)