|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the problem with the answer to #103?
2. What is the result of Shadrack's panic after the incident in #27?
3. When was Shadrack in the war?
4. How old is Sula when Chicken Little dies?
5. Who does Eva credit with saving her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sula's defense for the actions she has taken in her life?
2. What are Sula and Hannah's reputations among the women in regards to their attitudes toward men?
3. Why does Sula love the attention that Jude gives to Nel?
4. What is the newest interest of Sula and Nel as they go off on their random adventures?
5. What does Sula threaten when she is talking with Eva?
6. Describe Sula and Nel in terms of their physical features and temperaments.
7. What was the problem with the land that the farmer gave away?
8. Why do many people attend Sula's funeral?
9. What does Sula overhear when she is using the toilet at her house?
10. What are Sula and Nel's ideas about where Sula should stay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eva is constantly taking in new people into her home, but what are her motivations for doing so? What does she say her motivations are? What do you think she really wants from these people? How do her actions in taking people in affect those boarders? Are there any success stories of the people who have lived in her home?
Essay Topic 2
Sula is the protector in her relationship with Nel. What does she do to protect her friend? Does Sula offer the same protection to herself? Why or why not? What does this protective part of Sula say about her and her relationship to Nel? What other reasons might Sula have for protecting her friend? Cite three ways in which Sula protects Nel and give reasons for each of these instances.
Essay Topic 3
Shadrack seems to be suffering from significant mental issues at the beginning of the story. Do you think Shadrack was always plagued with these issues or were they caused by something else? If so, what? What is the reason for your answer? What is happening to Shadrack in the hospital? Why is he not seen as having issues that need medical attention? What is Shadrack a symbol of in this story? Why is this important?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)