|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Helene move to?
2. What is the year this holiday begins?
3. Who has a steady stream of lovers?
4. How much money is Shadrack given after his release?
5. In whose house does Sula live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Teapot, the five year old boy that knocks on Sula's door?
2. Who does Nel marry in this section?
3. What happens when the strong wind comes that is strange to the town? What usually happens?
4. What accompanies Sula when she returns to Medallion?
5. What does Eva have to say about Hannah's accusations?
6. What happened to BoyBoy, Eva's husband?
7. Describe Sula and Nel in terms of their physical features and temperaments.
8. Who are the two characters who have become fast friends and why is this so strange?
9. What does Hannah take to her mother on Thursday?
10. Why does Sula love the attention that Jude gives to Nel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
BoyBoy is one of the few male characters in this story. What is the role of the men in this story? What does this day about Morrison's views of female power and influence? What weaknesses does Morrison expose in the male gender? What advantages does female dominance seem to offer to the story? What are the downfalls of being a women in 'Sula'?
Essay Topic 2
Sula returns to Medallion full of anger at Eva. What does Sula accuse Eva of? Why does Sula threaten Eva with burning her in her room? How does Sula get Eva committed and get guardianship over her grandmother? What does this say about Sula's attitude toward her grandmother? How does this shift her power? Does it?
Essay Topic 3
The use of fire is symbolic in many ways to this story. Give two examples of how fire is used in this story. What does the fire symbolize to the story? How does it help the characters? How does it harm the characters? Conversely, what is the symbolism of water in this story? How is it used and what does it mean?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)