Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the year this holiday begins?
2. What does Sula fret over?
3. Whose grandmother is trying to keep her away from a certain place?
4. Where does Shadrack find himself when he opens his eyes?
5. This neighborhood of the town started off as a "________."
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Nel marry in this section?
2. What does Nel think about her grandmother?
3. What was the problem with the land that the farmer gave away?
4. What does Eva have to say about Hannah's accusations?
5. Why does Nel act so cordial toward Sula after all these years?
6. Describe Sula and Nel in terms of their physical features and temperaments.
7. What does Hannah dream of after she cleans the beans for dinner and sees the Deweys with their laces tied together?
8. What did the farmer tell the slaves about the land?
9. What has Eva done to her house over the past five years?
10. What has been sparked in Nel?
Sula returns to Medallion full of anger at Eva. What does Sula accuse Eva of? Why does Sula threaten Eva with burning her in her room? How does Sula get Eva committed and get guardianship over her grandmother? What does this say about Sula's attitude toward her grandmother? How does this shift her power? Does it?
Eva is constantly taking in new people into her home, but what are her motivations for doing so? What does she say her motivations are? What do you think she really wants from these people? How do her actions in taking people in affect those boarders? Are there any success stories of the people who have lived in her home?
When Hannah asks her mother if she ever loved her children, it becomes a heated debate. What do you think Eva thinks about her actions? Do you think she loves/loved her children? What are some indications that Eva did love and care for her children? Cite three examples of ways Eva took care of her children.
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)