Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the year this holiday begins?
2. What does Sula fret over?
3. Whose grandmother is trying to keep her away from a certain place?
4. Where does Shadrack find himself when he opens his eyes?
5. This neighborhood of the town started off as a "________."
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Nel marry in this section?
2. What does Nel think about her grandmother?
3. What was the problem with the land that the farmer gave away?
4. What does Eva have to say about Hannah's accusations?
5. Why does Nel act so cordial toward Sula after all these years?
6. Describe Sula and Nel in terms of their physical features and temperaments.
7. What does Hannah dream of after she cleans the beans for dinner and sees the Deweys with their laces tied together?
8. What did the farmer tell the slaves about the land?
9. What has Eva done to her house over the past five years?
10. What has been sparked in Nel?
The idea of National Suicide Day is one that seems almost humorous at first, but it takes on a darker tone. Why do you think Shadrack created this holiday? Why are others afraid of it? Why do you think he never really stops celebrating this day? What is the overall symbolism of this holiday for him and for the people of Bottom? How do you think the rest of the town feels about it privately?
The use of fire is symbolic in many ways to this story. Give two examples of how fire is used in this story. What does the fire symbolize to the story? How does it help the characters? How does it harm the characters? Conversely, what is the symbolism of water in this story? How is it used and what does it mean?
Shadrack seems to be suffering from significant mental issues at the beginning of the story. Do you think Shadrack was always plagued with these issues or were they caused by something else? If so, what? What is the reason for your answer? What is happening to Shadrack in the hospital? Why is he not seen as having issues that need medical attention? What is Shadrack a symbol of in this story? Why is this important?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)