|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the farmer compare the land to?
2. The beginning of the novel is unique because it's actually _______.
3. What do people assume as Shadrack is walking down the road?
4. What does Shadrack do on Tuesdays and Fridays?
5. What is the name of the neighborhood in which most of the story takes place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sula show her protectiveness when the boys approach her and Nel?
2. What does Hannah dream of after she cleans the beans for dinner and sees the Deweys with their laces tied together?
3. What does Nel realize she feels about Chicken Little's death?
4. Who are the two characters who have become fast friends and why is this so strange?
5. Why does Eva call the three children she's rescued from the street by one name?
6. Why does Eva sit in a wagon?
7. What is the newest interest of Sula and Nel as they go off on their random adventures?
8. What turns Medallion 'silver'?
9. Describe Jude Greene.
10. What is the date of National Suicide Day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sula is the protector in her relationship with Nel. What does she do to protect her friend? Does Sula offer the same protection to herself? Why or why not? What does this protective part of Sula say about her and her relationship to Nel? What other reasons might Sula have for protecting her friend? Cite three ways in which Sula protects Nel and give reasons for each of these instances.
Essay Topic 2
Shadrack seems to be suffering from significant mental issues at the beginning of the story. Do you think Shadrack was always plagued with these issues or were they caused by something else? If so, what? What is the reason for your answer? What is happening to Shadrack in the hospital? Why is he not seen as having issues that need medical attention? What is Shadrack a symbol of in this story? Why is this important?
Essay Topic 3
When Sula has an affair with Jude, this seems to be the biggest blow to her friendship with Nel. Why did Sula have the affair in the first place? What is Nel's reaction? Why doesn't Jude go back to Nel? What does the affair seem to say about the dynamics between women and men as opposed to those between women?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)