|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the slaves do when they heard about the fertile land?
2. Who is Chicken Little elated to tell about his afternoon with Sula and Nel?
3. Where does Shadrack find himself when he opens his eyes?
4. What kind of funeral does Chicken Little have?
5. What does Eva say she didn't notice that caused her to have poor judgment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Sula and Nel's ideas about where Sula should stay?
2. What does Hannah dream of after she cleans the beans for dinner and sees the Deweys with their laces tied together?
3. Who are the two characters who have become fast friends and why is this so strange?
4. What is the date of National Suicide Day?
5. Why does Eva call the three children she's rescued from the street by one name?
6. What causes Shadrack to be so frightened when he is in the hospital?
7. How would the neighborhood be described as in the past?
8. Who are the characters who have always been known to 'be as one'?
9. What is Shadrack given when he leaves the hospital after his year long stay?
10. Why does Eva sit in a wagon?
Essay Topic 1
Jude Green is another interesting male character that seems to be lacking any power in the story. Why does he feel as though he is less than a man? What does he do to try to prove his manliness? Is he successful in his actions? What weaknesses does Jude exhibit? What does this seem to say about the role of being a man?
Essay Topic 2
Eva's killing of Plum is a shocking scene in this book. What does this say about Eva? Do you think Plum was as lost a cause as Eva believed him to be? Why was Plum so lost? What does the fire signify symbolically as it burns Plum? Why doesn't Hannah help Plum in that scene? What would have happened if Eva hadn't killed Plum?
Essay Topic 3
Eva is constantly taking in new people into her home, but what are her motivations for doing so? What does she say her motivations are? What do you think she really wants from these people? How do her actions in taking people in affect those boarders? Are there any success stories of the people who have lived in her home?
This section contains 1,806 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)