|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eva enjoys male callers for gossiping and _________.
2. How far is Shadrack driven in order to get back home?
3. What kind of work would it take to make the land productive?
4. Where is Shadrack's hometown?
5. What is the result of Shadrack's panic after the incident in #27?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eva call the three children she's rescued from the street by one name?
2. What are Sula and Hannah's reputations among the women in regards to their attitudes toward men?
3. What is Nel taken aback by when she visits Eva?
4. Who are the characters who have always been known to 'be as one'?
5. Why does Helene's grandmother want her away from Sundown House?
6. What turns Medallion 'silver'?
7. Why does Helene return to see her grandmother?
8. What did the farmer tell the slaves about the land?
9. What has Eva done to her house over the past five years?
10. What happens to Chicken Little?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Nel and Sula are complete opposites, they still become fast friends. Why do you think this happens? What does Nel admire in Sula? What does Sula admire in Nel? Why are they seen as one person after a while? What is the point of their friendship in relation to the rest of the story? Does this seem to indicate that opposites make good friends? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The use of fire is symbolic in many ways to this story. Give two examples of how fire is used in this story. What does the fire symbolize to the story? How does it help the characters? How does it harm the characters? Conversely, what is the symbolism of water in this story? How is it used and what does it mean?
Essay Topic 3
What is Helene's grandmother trying to protect her from? What is this 'wild blood' that she refers to? Is Helene's grandmother successful? Why or why not? Why is it so important for Helene's grandmother to protect her granddaughter? Why does Helene want to avoid this life as well? How does Helene protect her daughter from this wild blood as well?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)