|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the strong wind bring, which is strange to the town?
2. What is the only response of Shadrack to Sula?
3. What does Hannah have a dream of?
4. What does Eva sit on?
5. What does the strong wind usually bring normally to the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Eva kill Plum, according to her?
2. What does Sula overhear when she is using the toilet at her house?
3. What does Nel realize she feels about Chicken Little's death?
4. What does Hannah dream of after she cleans the beans for dinner and sees the Deweys with their laces tied together?
5. What has Eva done to her house over the past five years?
6. What happens to Teapot, the five year old boy that knocks on Sula's door?
7. What causes Shadrack to be so frightened when he is in the hospital?
8. What is Eva's response when Sula comes to visit her?
9. What happens to Helene as she goes to see her grandmother?
10. What does Nel think about her grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The start of the novel is actually the ending, which makes the reader understand where the story is headed. What is the use of the ending at the beginning meant to say about the story? Does this beginning help to strengthen the story? Why or why not? Does this beginning weaken or strengthen the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The use of fire is symbolic in many ways to this story. Give two examples of how fire is used in this story. What does the fire symbolize to the story? How does it help the characters? How does it harm the characters? Conversely, what is the symbolism of water in this story? How is it used and what does it mean?
Essay Topic 3
Eva is constantly taking in new people into her home, but what are her motivations for doing so? What does she say her motivations are? What do you think she really wants from these people? How do her actions in taking people in affect those boarders? Are there any success stories of the people who have lived in her home?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)