|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose grandmother is trying to keep her away from a certain place?
2. What do people assume as Shadrack is walking down the road?
3. What is waiting for Shadrack when he wakes up?
4. What does Sula fret over?
5. What is strange about Eva's comb?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do many people attend Sula's funeral?
2. What are some signs that the Bottom is improving after Sula's death?
3. Why does Eva call the three children she's rescued from the street by one name?
4. What happened to BoyBoy, Eva's husband?
5. What is Sula's defense for the actions she has taken in her life?
6. What is Shadrack given when he leaves the hospital after his year long stay?
7. What are some of the interesting things that others are noticing about Sula?
8. Who are the characters who have always been known to 'be as one'?
9. Why does Eva sit in a wagon?
10. Why does Helene's grandmother want her away from Sundown House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Hannah asks her mother if she ever loved her children, it becomes a heated debate. What do you think Eva thinks about her actions? Do you think she loves/loved her children? What are some indications that Eva did love and care for her children? Cite three examples of ways Eva took care of her children.
Essay Topic 2
The moniker of the 'Bottom' is introduced from the very beginning as a way to differentiate the area in Medallion. What do you think this name is meant to signify? In what ways is the name appropriate? In what ways is the name not appropriate? What other names might be appropriate for this town? Who do you think came up with this name?
Essay Topic 3
What is Helene's grandmother trying to protect her from? What is this 'wild blood' that she refers to? Is Helene's grandmother successful? Why or why not? Why is it so important for Helene's grandmother to protect her granddaughter? Why does Helene want to avoid this life as well? How does Helene protect her daughter from this wild blood as well?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)