|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the newest theme of Sula and Nel's interest?
2. What does Sula threaten the Deweys with?
3. What does Hannah discover about the answer to #69?
4. What do people assume as Shadrack is walking down the road?
5. How long did it take for Eva to build her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Nel marry in this section?
2. What does Nel do because she is so upset about her interaction with Eva?
3. What is Nel taken aback by when she visits Eva?
4. What is Eva's response when Sula comes to visit her?
5. Who are Eva's children in the novel "Sula?"
6. Why does Eva sit in a wagon?
7. Why did Eva kill Plum, according to her?
8. What causes Shadrack to be so frightened when he is in the hospital?
9. What does Sula threaten when she is talking with Eva?
10. Why does Eva call the three children she's rescued from the street by one name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jude Green is another interesting male character that seems to be lacking any power in the story. Why does he feel as though he is less than a man? What does he do to try to prove his manliness? Is he successful in his actions? What weaknesses does Jude exhibit? What does this seem to say about the role of being a man?
Essay Topic 2
The moniker of the 'Bottom' is introduced from the very beginning as a way to differentiate the area in Medallion. What do you think this name is meant to signify? In what ways is the name appropriate? In what ways is the name not appropriate? What other names might be appropriate for this town? Who do you think came up with this name?
Essay Topic 3
While Nel and Sula are complete opposites, they still become fast friends. Why do you think this happens? What does Nel admire in Sula? What does Sula admire in Nel? Why are they seen as one person after a while? What is the point of their friendship in relation to the rest of the story? Does this seem to indicate that opposites make good friends? Why or why not?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)