|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eva rescues three children from the street, but what does she call them all?
2. When does Helene travel to see her dying grandmother?
3. What does Eva douse Plum with?
4. What does Sula fret over?
5. When Shadrack has his first encounter with the enemy, he feels the bite of the ________ in his boot.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the characters who have always been known to 'be as one'?
2. Why is Shadrack arrested after his release from the hospital?
3. What does Nel think about her grandmother?
4. What does Sula overhear when she is using the toilet at her house?
5. What does Sula threaten when she is talking with Eva?
6. What is the second strange thing that happens in the town?
7. What does Hannah take to her mother on Thursday?
8. Why does Helene get married to Wiley Wright?
9. What happens when the strong wind comes that is strange to the town? What usually happens?
10. What is happening to Sula when Nel finally visits her for the first time in three years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of National Suicide Day is one that seems almost humorous at first, but it takes on a darker tone. Why do you think Shadrack created this holiday? Why are others afraid of it? Why do you think he never really stops celebrating this day? What is the overall symbolism of this holiday for him and for the people of Bottom? How do you think the rest of the town feels about it privately?
Essay Topic 2
What is Helene's grandmother trying to protect her from? What is this 'wild blood' that she refers to? Is Helene's grandmother successful? Why or why not? Why is it so important for Helene's grandmother to protect her granddaughter? Why does Helene want to avoid this life as well? How does Helene protect her daughter from this wild blood as well?
Essay Topic 3
While Nel and Sula are complete opposites, they still become fast friends. Why do you think this happens? What does Nel admire in Sula? What does Sula admire in Nel? Why are they seen as one person after a while? What is the point of their friendship in relation to the rest of the story? Does this seem to indicate that opposites make good friends? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,719 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)