|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds Chicken Little's body?
2. The farmer told the slaves that the ______ were the best part of the land.
3. What does the strong wind bring, which is strange to the town?
4. What does the neighbor dump onto Hannah?
5. What begins to grow when Shadrack realizes where he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some signs that the Bottom is improving after Sula's death?
2. Why does Helene get married to Wiley Wright?
3. Who are the two characters who have become fast friends and why is this so strange?
4. Who does Nel marry in this section?
5. How does Sula show her protectiveness when the boys approach her and Nel?
6. What are Sula and Nel's ideas about where Sula should stay?
7. How would the neighborhood be described as in the past?
8. What has Eva done to her house over the past five years?
9. How does Shadrack's first encounter with the enemy go?
10. What is Nel taken aback by when she visits Eva?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eva's killing of Plum is a shocking scene in this book. What does this say about Eva? Do you think Plum was as lost a cause as Eva believed him to be? Why was Plum so lost? What does the fire signify symbolically as it burns Plum? Why doesn't Hannah help Plum in that scene? What would have happened if Eva hadn't killed Plum?
Essay Topic 2
When Sula has an affair with Jude, this seems to be the biggest blow to her friendship with Nel. Why did Sula have the affair in the first place? What is Nel's reaction? Why doesn't Jude go back to Nel? What does the affair seem to say about the dynamics between women and men as opposed to those between women?
Essay Topic 3
Jude Green is another interesting male character that seems to be lacking any power in the story. Why does he feel as though he is less than a man? What does he do to try to prove his manliness? Is he successful in his actions? What weaknesses does Jude exhibit? What does this seem to say about the role of being a man?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)