Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the year this holiday begins?
2. What does Sula fret over?
3. Whose grandmother is trying to keep her away from a certain place?
4. Where does Shadrack find himself when he opens his eyes?
5. This neighborhood of the town started off as a "________."
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Nel marry in this section?
2. What does Nel think about her grandmother?
3. What was the problem with the land that the farmer gave away?
4. What does Eva have to say about Hannah's accusations?
5. Why does Nel act so cordial toward Sula after all these years?
6. Describe Sula and Nel in terms of their physical features and temperaments.
7. What does Hannah dream of after she cleans the beans for dinner and sees the Deweys with their laces tied together?
8. What did the farmer tell the slaves about the land?
9. What has Eva done to her house over the past five years?
10. What has been sparked in Nel?
Shadrack seems to be suffering from significant mental issues at the beginning of the story. Do you think Shadrack was always plagued with these issues or were they caused by something else? If so, what? What is the reason for your answer? What is happening to Shadrack in the hospital? Why is he not seen as having issues that need medical attention? What is Shadrack a symbol of in this story? Why is this important?
The start of the novel is actually the ending, which makes the reader understand where the story is headed. What is the use of the ending at the beginning meant to say about the story? Does this beginning help to strengthen the story? Why or why not? Does this beginning weaken or strengthen the story? Why?
Describe the scene that includes Chicken Little, Sula, and Nel. What happens in this scene? What do you think Sula and Nel both thought when he did not emerge from the water? Do they feel guilty about their actions at this point? Why or why not? Do you think Shadrack understands what has happened? Why or why not? What does this scene say about Sula?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)