|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Shadrack in the war?
2. The beginning of the novel is unique because it's actually _______.
3. Who is the protector in her friendship?
4. Who only sees the happiness in the town?
5. Eva enjoys male callers for gossiping and _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What turns Medallion 'silver'?
2. What are some signs that the Bottom is improving after Sula's death?
3. What did the farmer tell the slaves about the land?
4. What was the problem with the land that the farmer gave away?
5. Why does Eva sit in a wagon?
6. Who are Eva's children in the novel "Sula?"
7. What is the date of National Suicide Day?
8. What is Sula's defense for the actions she has taken in her life?
9. What does Hannah dream of after she cleans the beans for dinner and sees the Deweys with their laces tied together?
10. What are Sula and Nel's ideas about where Sula should stay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Sula has an affair with Jude, this seems to be the biggest blow to her friendship with Nel. Why did Sula have the affair in the first place? What is Nel's reaction? Why doesn't Jude go back to Nel? What does the affair seem to say about the dynamics between women and men as opposed to those between women?
Essay Topic 2
Shadrack seems to be suffering from significant mental issues at the beginning of the story. Do you think Shadrack was always plagued with these issues or were they caused by something else? If so, what? What is the reason for your answer? What is happening to Shadrack in the hospital? Why is he not seen as having issues that need medical attention? What is Shadrack a symbol of in this story? Why is this important?
Essay Topic 3
Sula's reputation in the town becomes the thing of rumors and whispers. What are some of the things people of the town are saying she is? What does this do to the rest of the town? What affect does Sula have on the town as a whole? What begins to change in the Bottom? What does this seem to show? Can one person really affect a town that much?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)