Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the year this holiday begins?
2. What does Sula fret over?
3. Whose grandmother is trying to keep her away from a certain place?
4. Where does Shadrack find himself when he opens his eyes?
5. This neighborhood of the town started off as a "________."
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Nel marry in this section?
2. What does Nel think about her grandmother?
3. What was the problem with the land that the farmer gave away?
4. What does Eva have to say about Hannah's accusations?
5. Why does Nel act so cordial toward Sula after all these years?
6. Describe Sula and Nel in terms of their physical features and temperaments.
7. What does Hannah dream of after she cleans the beans for dinner and sees the Deweys with their laces tied together?
8. What did the farmer tell the slaves about the land?
9. What has Eva done to her house over the past five years?
10. What has been sparked in Nel?
Essay Topic 1
When Sula has an affair with Jude, this seems to be the biggest blow to her friendship with Nel. Why did Sula have the affair in the first place? What is Nel's reaction? Why doesn't Jude go back to Nel? What does the affair seem to say about the dynamics between women and men as opposed to those between women?
Essay Topic 2
What is Helene's grandmother trying to protect her from? What is this 'wild blood' that she refers to? Is Helene's grandmother successful? Why or why not? Why is it so important for Helene's grandmother to protect her granddaughter? Why does Helene want to avoid this life as well? How does Helene protect her daughter from this wild blood as well?
Essay Topic 3
The start of the novel is actually the ending, which makes the reader understand where the story is headed. What is the use of the ending at the beginning meant to say about the story? Does this beginning help to strengthen the story? Why or why not? Does this beginning weaken or strengthen the story? Why?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)