|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Nel want Helene to translate for her?
2. Who could be described as proper and classy?
3. What does Eva say she didn't notice that caused her to have poor judgment?
4. Who does Nel strike up a friendship with?
5. Where does Shadrack look at his reflection?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helene's grandmother want her away from Sundown House?
2. Why do many people attend Sula's funeral?
3. Why did Eva kill Plum, according to her?
4. What is the date of National Suicide Day?
5. Why is Shadrack released from the hospital?
6. Describe Sula and Nel in terms of their physical features and temperaments.
7. What are some of the interesting things that others are noticing about Sula?
8. How did the people of the neighborhood named in #1 come to live there?
9. What is Shadrack given when he leaves the hospital after his year long stay?
10. What is Nel taken aback by when she visits Eva?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Helene's grandmother trying to protect her from? What is this 'wild blood' that she refers to? Is Helene's grandmother successful? Why or why not? Why is it so important for Helene's grandmother to protect her granddaughter? Why does Helene want to avoid this life as well? How does Helene protect her daughter from this wild blood as well?
Essay Topic 2
While Nel and Sula are complete opposites, they still become fast friends. Why do you think this happens? What does Nel admire in Sula? What does Sula admire in Nel? Why are they seen as one person after a while? What is the point of their friendship in relation to the rest of the story? Does this seem to indicate that opposites make good friends? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Shadrack seems to be suffering from significant mental issues at the beginning of the story. Do you think Shadrack was always plagued with these issues or were they caused by something else? If so, what? What is the reason for your answer? What is happening to Shadrack in the hospital? Why is he not seen as having issues that need medical attention? What is Shadrack a symbol of in this story? Why is this important?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)