|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shadrack remember the river being full of?
2. What does this grandmother want to prevent?
3. Who is playing chain gang by tying their laces together?
4. How many children does Eva have?
5. What does Hannah discover about the answer to #69?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to BoyBoy, Eva's husband?
2. Why does Eva sit in a wagon?
3. What is the date of National Suicide Day?
4. Who are Eva's children in the novel "Sula?"
5. What has Eva done to her house over the past five years?
6. Why does Helene return to see her grandmother?
7. What did the farmer tell the slaves about the land?
8. What amazes Nel as she considered the way things have changed?
9. What does Sula threaten when she is talking with Eva?
10. Why does Helene's grandmother want her away from Sundown House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Hannah asks her mother if she ever loved her children, it becomes a heated debate. What do you think Eva thinks about her actions? Do you think she loves/loved her children? What are some indications that Eva did love and care for her children? Cite three examples of ways Eva took care of her children.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Nel is upset in thinking about her life and about the death of Sula. What do you think Nel is feeling at the end? Does she really feel sad about Sula's death? Why or why not? What else might Nel be upset about? What does this say about the friendship between Nel and Sula? Had Sula apologized, do you think Nel would have forgiven her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Eva's killing of Plum is a shocking scene in this book. What does this say about Eva? Do you think Plum was as lost a cause as Eva believed him to be? Why was Plum so lost? What does the fire signify symbolically as it burns Plum? Why doesn't Hannah help Plum in that scene? What would have happened if Eva hadn't killed Plum?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)