|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take to find the body of Chicken Little?
2. How far is Shadrack driven in order to get back home?
3. What word does Nel want Helene to translate for her?
4. When does Helene travel to see her dying grandmother?
5. Who shows up and is pressured into marrying Helene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Chicken Little?
2. What happened to BoyBoy, Eva's husband?
3. What did the farmer tell the slaves about the land?
4. Why does Helene's grandmother want her away from Sundown House?
5. Describe Jude Greene.
6. Why does Eva call the three children she's rescued from the street by one name?
7. What amazes Nel as she considered the way things have changed?
8. What is Nel taken aback by when she visits Eva?
9. What does Eva have to say about Hannah's accusations?
10. Why does Eva sit in a wagon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jude Green is another interesting male character that seems to be lacking any power in the story. Why does he feel as though he is less than a man? What does he do to try to prove his manliness? Is he successful in his actions? What weaknesses does Jude exhibit? What does this seem to say about the role of being a man?
Essay Topic 2
While Nel and Sula are complete opposites, they still become fast friends. Why do you think this happens? What does Nel admire in Sula? What does Sula admire in Nel? Why are they seen as one person after a while? What is the point of their friendship in relation to the rest of the story? Does this seem to indicate that opposites make good friends? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Eva leaves for 18 months and then comes back to her children, though she is missing a leg and comes back with money. What do you think has happened to Eva in this time period? Was she right for abandoning her children? Why or why not? Could Eva have survived if she hadn't left? Why or why not? Does Eva seem to be a strong person or one who is weak? Why?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)