|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is playing chain gang by tying their laces together?
2. What is the word Sula uses to describe Shadrack's house?
3. Who is Chicken Little elated to tell about his afternoon with Sula and Nel?
4. How long does it take to find the body of Chicken Little?
5. What does Eva accidentally sip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eva sit in a wagon?
2. What does Sula threaten when she is talking with Eva?
3. What is the story of Tar Baby?
4. What is happening to Sula when Nel finally visits her for the first time in three years?
5. How did the people of the neighborhood named in #1 come to live there?
6. What has Eva done to her house over the past five years?
7. What is the date of National Suicide Day?
8. When the retirement home is renovated, what does this mean?
9. What is Sula's defense for the actions she has taken in her life?
10. What does Nel think about her grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Nel and Sula are complete opposites, they still become fast friends. Why do you think this happens? What does Nel admire in Sula? What does Sula admire in Nel? Why are they seen as one person after a while? What is the point of their friendship in relation to the rest of the story? Does this seem to indicate that opposites make good friends? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sula is the protector in her relationship with Nel. What does she do to protect her friend? Does Sula offer the same protection to herself? Why or why not? What does this protective part of Sula say about her and her relationship to Nel? What other reasons might Sula have for protecting her friend? Cite three ways in which Sula protects Nel and give reasons for each of these instances.
Essay Topic 3
Sula returns to Medallion full of anger at Eva. What does Sula accuse Eva of? Why does Sula threaten Eva with burning her in her room? How does Sula get Eva committed and get guardianship over her grandmother? What does this say about Sula's attitude toward her grandmother? How does this shift her power? Does it?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)