|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the town being destroyed to make room for?
2. How long was Shadrack in the hospital when he was?
3. What do people assume as Shadrack is walking down the road?
4. The neighborhood used to be where people would hear singing and music and see what?
5. Who is playing chain gang by tying their laces together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has been sparked in Nel?
2. What amazes Nel as she considered the way things have changed?
3. What happens to Teapot, the five year old boy that knocks on Sula's door?
4. What turns Medallion 'silver'?
5. What does Nel do because she is so upset about her interaction with Eva?
6. Why is Shadrack released from the hospital?
7. What is Sula's defense for the actions she has taken in her life?
8. Why does Eva call the three children she's rescued from the street by one name?
9. Why did Eva kill Plum, according to her?
10. What happens to Chicken Little?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sula's reputation in the town becomes the thing of rumors and whispers. What are some of the things people of the town are saying she is? What does this do to the rest of the town? What affect does Sula have on the town as a whole? What begins to change in the Bottom? What does this seem to show? Can one person really affect a town that much?
Essay Topic 2
What is Helene's grandmother trying to protect her from? What is this 'wild blood' that she refers to? Is Helene's grandmother successful? Why or why not? Why is it so important for Helene's grandmother to protect her granddaughter? Why does Helene want to avoid this life as well? How does Helene protect her daughter from this wild blood as well?
Essay Topic 3
When Hannah asks her mother if she ever loved her children, it becomes a heated debate. What do you think Eva thinks about her actions? Do you think she loves/loved her children? What are some indications that Eva did love and care for her children? Cite three examples of ways Eva took care of her children.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)