|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take to find the body of Chicken Little?
2. When does Helene travel to see her dying grandmother?
3. What kind of funeral does Chicken Little have?
4. Where does Shadrack find himself when he opens his eyes?
5. Who could be described as proper and classy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sula show her protectiveness when the boys approach her and Nel?
2. What does Sula threaten when she is talking with Eva?
3. Why does Helene get married to Wiley Wright?
4. How would the neighborhood be described as in the past?
5. What is the name of the town where the story takes place?
6. Why do many people attend Sula's funeral?
7. How did the people of the neighborhood named in #1 come to live there?
8. What are some of the interesting things that others are noticing about Sula?
9. What is Nel taken aback by when she visits Eva?
10. What does Hannah take to her mother on Thursday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Helene's grandmother trying to protect her from? What is this 'wild blood' that she refers to? Is Helene's grandmother successful? Why or why not? Why is it so important for Helene's grandmother to protect her granddaughter? Why does Helene want to avoid this life as well? How does Helene protect her daughter from this wild blood as well?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of National Suicide Day is one that seems almost humorous at first, but it takes on a darker tone. Why do you think Shadrack created this holiday? Why are others afraid of it? Why do you think he never really stops celebrating this day? What is the overall symbolism of this holiday for him and for the people of Bottom? How do you think the rest of the town feels about it privately?
Essay Topic 3
When Hannah asks her mother if she ever loved her children, it becomes a heated debate. What do you think Eva thinks about her actions? Do you think she loves/loved her children? What are some indications that Eva did love and care for her children? Cite three examples of ways Eva took care of her children.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)