|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of funeral does Chicken Little have?
2. Where does Helene move to?
3. What did the farmer compare the land to?
4. Who works as a ship's cook?
5. What does Sula fret over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Shadrack to be so frightened when he is in the hospital?
2. What does Hannah take to her mother on Thursday?
3. Why does Helene return to see her grandmother?
4. What turns Medallion 'silver'?
5. Why is Shadrack arrested after his release from the hospital?
6. What does Sula overhear when she is using the toilet at her house?
7. Why is Shadrack released from the hospital?
8. Who does Nel marry in this section?
9. Describe Sula and Nel in terms of their physical features and temperaments.
10. What is the second strange thing that happens in the town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the scene that includes Chicken Little, Sula, and Nel. What happens in this scene? What do you think Sula and Nel both thought when he did not emerge from the water? Do they feel guilty about their actions at this point? Why or why not? Do you think Shadrack understands what has happened? Why or why not? What does this scene say about Sula?
Essay Topic 2
What is Helene's grandmother trying to protect her from? What is this 'wild blood' that she refers to? Is Helene's grandmother successful? Why or why not? Why is it so important for Helene's grandmother to protect her granddaughter? Why does Helene want to avoid this life as well? How does Helene protect her daughter from this wild blood as well?
Essay Topic 3
Sula is the protector in her relationship with Nel. What does she do to protect her friend? Does Sula offer the same protection to herself? Why or why not? What does this protective part of Sula say about her and her relationship to Nel? What other reasons might Sula have for protecting her friend? Cite three ways in which Sula protects Nel and give reasons for each of these instances.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)