|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is strange about Eva's comb?
(a) It is a different color
(b) It is broken
(c) Eva can not find it at first
(d) It is bent
2. What begins to grow when Shadrack realizes where he is?
(a) His plate
(b) His feet
(c) His hands
(d) His friend's eyes
3. What does this grandmother want to prevent?
(a) A bad marriage
(b) An abortion
(c) A lost life
(d) Helene's mother's wild blood
4. Who does Eva credit with saving her life?
(d) An orderly
5. What place is this grandmother trying to keep the woman away from?
(a) Sundown House
(b) Sunset Home
(c) Runaround Bar
(d) Blessed Place
6. What is the name of the neighborhood in which most of the story takes place?
7. What frustrates Shadrack so much that he begins to cry?
(a) His papers
(b) His boots
(c) His friend
(d) His money
8. Who sees the trip as a way to begin being an individual?
9. Who was Eva's husband?
10. What does Sula fret over?
(a) The loss of Nel
(b) The Deweys
(c) Eva's behavior
(d) The newlyweds living at the house
11. What kind of work would it take to make the land productive?
(a) None at all
12. The idea behind this town is that there is ________ on the outside, but _______ on the inside.
(a) Pain, Laughter
(b) Laughter, pain
(c) Peace, pain
(d) Black, white
13. What is the name of the town in which the story takes place?
(c) Sweet Meadows
14. What word does Nel want Helene to translate for her?
15. Who lives in the neighborhood that is the answer to #1?
(a) The whites
(b) The children
(c) The Negroes
(d) The farmers
Short Answer Questions
1. How long into marriage does Helene have a daughter?
2. What is the town being destroyed to make room for?
3. What do people assume as Shadrack is walking down the road?
4. What does Hannah have a dream of?
5. When was Shadrack in the war?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)