|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Eva leave for?
(a) 12 months
(b) 2 months
(c) 10 months
(d) 18 months
2. Who sees the trip as a way to begin being an individual?
3. What is the name of the neighborhood in which most of the story takes place?
4. Who finds Chicken Little's body?
(a) A bargeman
(d) Tar Baby
5. This neighborhood of the town started off as a "________."
6. Who promised freedom to the slaves?
(a) A white farmer
7. Who does Eva credit with saving her life?
(d) An orderly
8. What does this grandmother want to prevent?
(a) A lost life
(b) An abortion
(c) A bad marriage
(d) Helene's mother's wild blood
9. What is the result of Shadrack's panic after the incident in #27?
(a) He is ignored
(b) He is arrested
(c) He is beaten up
(d) He is put into a straightjacket
10. When Shadrack has his first encounter with the enemy, he feels the bite of the ________ in his boot.
11. Where does Pearl move to?
12. Where do Helene and Nel travel to?
(b) New Orleans
(d) Mexico City
13. What is the background of the boys who threaten Nel?
(a) German immigrants
(b) Irish immigrants
(c) Italian immigrants
(d) Same as Nel
14. The beginning of the novel is unique because it's actually _______.
(a) A hallucination
(b) The ending
(c) A dream
(d) A joke
15. What does Eva sit on?
(a) A wagon
(b) A stool
(c) A chair
(d) A hammock
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows up and is pressured into marrying Helene?
2. Who only sees the happiness in the town?
3. What does Shadrack remember the river being full of?
4. What does Eva accidentally sip?
5. What happens to the answer to #81?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)