Short Essay Questions Key
1. What neighborhood is "Sula" set in?
The Bottom is the name of the neighborhood in which the story takes place.
2. What is the name of the town where the story takes place?
The name of the two where "Sula" takes place is called Medallion.
3. How did the people of the neighborhood named in #1 come to live there?
People in the neighborhood of Bottom came to live there after a white farmer gave the land to slaves he freed, telling them that the land was very fertile and good for farming.
4. What was the problem with the land that the farmer gave away?
The land was fertile, but the land required backbreaking work and the seeds would always wash down the hill, making it difficult to cultivate.
5. What did the farmer tell the slaves about the land?
The farmer told the slaves that the hills are the bottom of heaven.
This section contains 1,972 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)