|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Maurrant look like as he emerges from the building?
2. What does Mr. Kaplan believe is the cause of the troubles with the world?
3. What are the rest of the characters doing at the beginning of this scene?
4. What does Mrs. Maurrant do after she motions Mr. Sankey over to the window?
5. What does Mary Hildebrand tell Rose and Mr. Kaplan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Newspaper and tabloids are carried and discussed.
Part 1) What is the purpose of this media?
Part 2) How does it stir up the community?
Part 3) How does the media today serve a similar purpose as the media then?
Essay Topic 2
Racism and prejudice permeates the minds of the characters.
Part 1) Give two examples of racism or other prejudice.
Part 2) How might these characters have learned to be prejudiced?
Part 3) How does this prejudice affect their relationships with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Maurrant has a shocking change of character.
Part 1) How does his behavior change? Why?
Part 2) Why does the playwright make such a drastic change in his character?
Part 3) Predict how his sudden change will affect Rose, now and in the future. Use their interactions to support your response.
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)