|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Shirley want to tell Rose?
2. How does Shirley hurt Rose's feelings?
3. Why does Rose suggest the milkman not come around as often?
4. Why does Shirley tell Rose to stay away from her brother?
5. What happens after Mrs. Maurrant is heard yelling her husband's name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sounds are a constant in this play.
Part 1) What types of sounds are heard? Why?
Part 2) How might these sounds affect the viewer? Why?
Part 3) Do you believe these sounds would enhance or detract from the play? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Maurrant has a shocking change of character.
Part 1) How does his behavior change? Why?
Part 2) Why does the playwright make such a drastic change in his character?
Part 3) Predict how his sudden change will affect Rose, now and in the future. Use their interactions to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
This play was written in 1929.
Part 1) What can you gather about this time period, based on information in the play?
Part 2) How could audiences in 1929 relate to this play?
Part 3) How can viewers today still connect with the characters and plot of this play?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)