|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Shirley hurt Rose's feelings?
2. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she needs in her life?
3. What does Mr. Kaplan believe is the cause of the troubles with the world?
4. Why does Rose suggest the milkman not come around as often?
5. What forms in front of the building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Life goes on at the end of the play.
Part 1) How does life go on?
Part 2) Why might the author choose to end the play this way?
Part 3) How are you, as the reader, affected by this ending? Why? Would the playwright be satisfied by your reaction to the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters in this play drink alcohol.
Part 1) Who are these characters?
Part 2) Why might they be drinking alcohol?
Part 3) What affect does this drinking play in their behavior and the decisions they make?
Essay Topic 3
Shirley humiliates Rose.
Part 1) How does she humiliate Rose?
Part 2) Why does she do this? What does she fear?
Part 3) How do these two characters reconcile? Where else does reconciliation occur? What is the purpose of this reconciliation and forgiveness?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)