|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do James Henry, a city marshal, and his assistant, Fred Cullen, stop in front of the building?
2. Why can the Hildebrands not pay the rent?
3. What forms in front of the building?
4. What happens when Sam tries to stop Mr. Maurrant?
5. What does Mr. Maurrant do as he leaves for work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a heat wave throughout the country.
Part 1) Why do the characters frequently discuss this?
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for having this mention of heat threaded through the play?
Part 3) How does this heat add to the struggles of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Life goes on at the end of the play.
Part 1) How does life go on?
Part 2) Why might the author choose to end the play this way?
Part 3) How are you, as the reader, affected by this ending? Why? Would the playwright be satisfied by your reaction to the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The setting is very detailed.
Part 1) Describe the setting.
Part 2) How does the setting enhance the play?
Part 3) How can you relate to this setting? How is it relevant today?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)