|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What forms in front of the building?
2. What is Sam repeatedly trying to find out?
3. What has Mr. Buchanan received because of his wife and new baby?
4. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she has always tried to do?
5. How does Mrs. Maurrant respond when her daughter implies that Mr. Maurrant may be more kind, if her mother would not have a relationship with someone outside this marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a heat wave throughout the country.
Part 1) Why do the characters frequently discuss this?
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for having this mention of heat threaded through the play?
Part 3) How does this heat add to the struggles of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Sounds are a constant in this play.
Part 1) What types of sounds are heard? Why?
Part 2) How might these sounds affect the viewer? Why?
Part 3) Do you believe these sounds would enhance or detract from the play? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Maurrant has a shocking change of character.
Part 1) How does his behavior change? Why?
Part 2) Why does the playwright make such a drastic change in his character?
Part 3) Predict how his sudden change will affect Rose, now and in the future. Use their interactions to support your response.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)