|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is known about Mrs. Maurrant when the doctor arrives?
2. Why does Shirley tell Rose to stay away from her brother?
3. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she has always tried to do?
4. Who watches Rose and Mr. Easter as they walk to the funeral?
5. What does Sam urge Mrs. Jones to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play was written in 1929.
Part 1) What can you gather about this time period, based on information in the play?
Part 2) How could audiences in 1929 relate to this play?
Part 3) How can viewers today still connect with the characters and plot of this play?
Essay Topic 2
Racism and prejudice permeates the minds of the characters.
Part 1) Give two examples of racism or other prejudice.
Part 2) How might these characters have learned to be prejudiced?
Part 3) How does this prejudice affect their relationships with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Sam and Rose's relationships deepens as the play progresses.
Part 1) How?
Part 2) How do the neighbors respond to their relationship? Why?
Part 3) How does their separation from one another at the end of the play reflect their relationship at the beginning of the play?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)