|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the audience able to see of this building?
2. Who does Mrs. Jones say do not know anything about raising babies?
3. What do the women wonder about Sam Kaplan?
4. Who tries to help Rose by yelling at Vincent?
5. What do the women wonder about Mr. Maurrant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a constant throughout the play? Why?
2. What does Mr. Kaplan believe about all young people?
3. How does the scene begin? What are the movers and police doing?
4. How does Mrs. Maurrant react when Mrs. Jones tells her not to let her daughter get involved with a Jew? Why does everyone insist she not date a Jew?
5. What happens after Mr. Maurrant talks to Rose?
6. What does Mrs. Jones say about raising children?
7. What character opens Act 2? What is he or she doing? What does this say about this character?
8. Describe the set.
9. Why does Rose feel that no one should belong to anyone else?
10. How does the audience meet Shirley Kaplan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Maurrant shoots and kills both his wife and Mr. Sankey.
Part 1) Why does he murder them?
Part 2) What clues earlier in the play foreshadowed this action?
Part 3) How do various neighbors react to this event? Why do they react this way?
Essay Topic 2
Sam shows bravery.
Part 1) When does he act bravely?
Part 2) Why does Sam do this?
Part 3) What do Sam's actions say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Rose has many admirers.
Part 1) Why? How do these admirers treat her?
Part 2) How do the neighbors respond to the attention she receives? Why?
Part 3) How might these admirers play a role in her decision to be independent of a man at the end of the play?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)