|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miss Cushing enter the scene excitedly?
2. How does Mr. Buchanan seem?
3. What is Sam Kaplan's opinion of the concert he had just seen?
4. Who does Mrs. Jones say do not know anything about raising babies?
5. About what do Emma, Greta, and Olga speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the play end similarly to how it begins?
2. What does Mrs. Jones tell Mrs. Olsen?
3. What marriage advice does Lippo give to Rose?
4. Why does Alice Simpson berate Mrs. Hildebrand?
5. What are Rose's plans for the future?
6. How does this scene show that Mr. Buchanan is a good husband?
7. What do the women do as soon as Mrs. Maurrant leaves and is out of ear shot?
8. What does Mrs. Jones say about raising children?
9. How are Shirley and Rose's beliefs about the mingling of cultures different?
10. What are two nursemaids doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Life goes on at the end of the play.
Part 1) How does life go on?
Part 2) Why might the author choose to end the play this way?
Part 3) How are you, as the reader, affected by this ending? Why? Would the playwright be satisfied by your reaction to the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sounds are a constant in this play.
Part 1) What types of sounds are heard? Why?
Part 2) How might these sounds affect the viewer? Why?
Part 3) Do you believe these sounds would enhance or detract from the play? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Newspaper and tabloids are carried and discussed.
Part 1) What is the purpose of this media?
Part 2) How does it stir up the community?
Part 3) How does the media today serve a similar purpose as the media then?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)