|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a constant throughout the play?
2. What are Mae Jones and Dick McGann doing as Rose passes them?
3. How does Mr. Sankey look?
4. What is Greta Fiorentino wearing?
5. Why does Rose tell Mr. Easter that he must leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the police allow Mr. Maurrant to do? Why might they allow this?
2. Why does Alice Simpson berate Mrs. Hildebrand?
3. How does Shirley hurt Rose? How does she apologize?
4. How does this scene show that Mr. Buchanan is a good husband?
5. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she has tried to do?
6. What are Rose's plans for the future?
7. How does Mrs. Maurrant react when Mrs. Jones tells her not to let her daughter get involved with a Jew? Why does everyone insist she not date a Jew?
8. How does the audience learn Mr. Filippo Fiorentino is Italian?
9. What does Mr. Maurrant say to Rose?
10. How has Mr. Maurrant's mood worsened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Maurrant shoots and kills both his wife and Mr. Sankey.
Part 1) Why does he murder them?
Part 2) What clues earlier in the play foreshadowed this action?
Part 3) How do various neighbors react to this event? Why do they react this way?
Essay Topic 2
The setting is very detailed.
Part 1) Describe the setting.
Part 2) How does the setting enhance the play?
Part 3) How can you relate to this setting? How is it relevant today?
Essay Topic 3
The women sit on the stoop and gossip throughout the play.
Part 1) About what do they gossip?
Part 2) Why do they gossip?
Part 3) How might their gossiping affect their relationships with others? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 1,718 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)