|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a constant throughout the play?
2. What are Mae Jones and Dick McGann doing as Rose passes them?
3. How do the ladies brush off Mr. Maurrant' mood?
4. What does Kaplan believe will no longer be necessary once there is no more personal property?
5. Why does Willie ask his mother for a dime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rose ask Sam how to act in a synagogue? What is surprising about Sam's response?
2. Describe the lighting and the character in the window.
3. How does Mrs. Maurrant react when Mrs. Jones tells her not to let her daughter get involved with a Jew? Why does everyone insist she not date a Jew?
4. What has happened to Mr. Maurrant?
5. How is it evident that Mr. Maurrant is not only a grouch but also not a good father?
6. What do the women say about their older daughters?
7. Describe the set.
8. How does Shirley hurt Rose? How does she apologize?
9. How has Mr. Maurrant's mood worsened?
10. How does the audience meet Shirley Kaplan?
Essay Topic 1
Racism and prejudice permeates the minds of the characters.
Part 1) Give two examples of racism or other prejudice.
Part 2) How might these characters have learned to be prejudiced?
Part 3) How does this prejudice affect their relationships with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters in this play drink alcohol.
Part 1) Who are these characters?
Part 2) Why might they be drinking alcohol?
Part 3) What affect does this drinking play in their behavior and the decisions they make?
Essay Topic 3
Sam shows bravery.
Part 1) When does he act bravely?
Part 2) Why does Sam do this?
Part 3) What do Sam's actions say about his character?
This section contains 1,671 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)