|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the women do, after Mr. Sankey's arrival?
2. What is the audience able to see of this building?
3. What is one reason why Mr. Maurrant does not like foreigners?
4. What are Mae Jones and Dick McGann doing as Rose passes them?
5. What does Mr. Maurrant do when Willie appears, crying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the women do after they invite Mrs. Maurrant to visit?
2. Describe Rose's exit.
3. How does the audience know Mr. Maurrant's personality immediately?
4. What does Rose say to cheer Sam up about the future?
5. How does the audience meet Shirley Kaplan?
6. Describe the lighting and the character in the window.
7. Why does Shirley get upset about Rose being friends with Sam?
8. How does the audience know that Mr. Sankey and Mrs. Maurrant are having an affair?
9. Why does Alice Simpson berate Mrs. Hildebrand?
10. What are Sam's thoughts on God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rose has many admirers.
Part 1) Why? How do these admirers treat her?
Part 2) How do the neighbors respond to the attention she receives? Why?
Part 3) How might these admirers play a role in her decision to be independent of a man at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Racism and prejudice permeates the minds of the characters.
Part 1) Give two examples of racism or other prejudice.
Part 2) How might these characters have learned to be prejudiced?
Part 3) How does this prejudice affect their relationships with other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Shirley humiliates Rose.
Part 1) How does she humiliate Rose?
Part 2) Why does she do this? What does she fear?
Part 3) How do these two characters reconcile? Where else does reconciliation occur? What is the purpose of this reconciliation and forgiveness?
This section contains 1,795 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)