|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the neighbors get into a discussion about labor unions, the working class, and America's prosperity?
2. Why does Rose tell Mr. Easter that he must leave?
3. Who does Alice Simpson represent?
4. What do the neighbors do when Ms. Simpson argues with Mrs. Hildebrand?
5. What does Kaplan believe will no longer be necessary once there is no more personal property?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Jones tell Mrs. Olsen?
2. How does the audience learn Mr. Filippo Fiorentino is Italian?
3. How does the audience know Mr. Maurrant's personality immediately?
4. How do the neighbors react to the new shots that were fired?
5. What is a constant throughout the play? Why?
6. How does the audience know that Mr. Sankey and Mrs. Maurrant are having an affair?
7. On what does Rose blame her father's attitude? What is Mrs. Maurrant's reaction?
8. How does the scene begin? What are the movers and police doing?
9. Why does Shirley get upset about Rose being friends with Sam?
10. How is the audience's assumption about the weather verified?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rose has many admirers.
Part 1) Why? How do these admirers treat her?
Part 2) How do the neighbors respond to the attention she receives? Why?
Part 3) How might these admirers play a role in her decision to be independent of a man at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Maurrant and Mr. Sankey are in a relationship.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) What are the other tenants' thoughts on this? Why?
Part 3) Why does Mrs. Maurrant risk her reputation, marriage, and ultimately her life to be with Mr. Sankey? What does this say about the pursuit of happiness?
Essay Topic 3
Shirley humiliates Rose.
Part 1) How does she humiliate Rose?
Part 2) Why does she do this? What does she fear?
Part 3) How do these two characters reconcile? Where else does reconciliation occur? What is the purpose of this reconciliation and forgiveness?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)