|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens between Vincent and Sam?
2. How does Rose feel about Mr. Easter?
3. Who does Alice Simpson represent?
4. What do the women wonder about Mr. Maurrant?
5. About what do Emma, Greta, and Olga speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rose say to cheer Sam up about the future?
2. What marriage advice does Lippo give to Rose?
3. On what does Rose blame her father's attitude? What is Mrs. Maurrant's reaction?
4. What do the women do after they invite Mrs. Maurrant to visit?
5. How are Shirley and Rose's beliefs about the mingling of cultures different?
6. How do the neighbors react to the new shots that were fired?
7. How has Mr. Maurrant's mood worsened?
8. How does the scene begin? What are the movers and police doing?
9. What character opens Act 2? What is he or she doing? What does this say about this character?
10. Why does Rose feel that no one should belong to anyone else?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Racism and prejudice permeates the minds of the characters.
Part 1) Give two examples of racism or other prejudice.
Part 2) How might these characters have learned to be prejudiced?
Part 3) How does this prejudice affect their relationships with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Sam shows bravery.
Part 1) When does he act bravely?
Part 2) Why does Sam do this?
Part 3) What do Sam's actions say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Maurrant is an angry, miserable character.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) How does his behavior affect his relationships with others?
Part 3) Compare and contrast his behavior throughout the play to his behavior at the end of the play.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)