|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Willie ask his mother for a dime?
2. Why does Shirley Kaplan ask her father to turn his reading lamp off?
3. What does Kaplan believe will no longer be necessary once there is no more personal property?
4. What does a sign on the set say about Prof. Filippo Fiorentino?
5. How does Mr. Easter make Rose uncomfortable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rose ask the group? How do they respond?
2. How is it evident that Mr. Maurrant is not only a grouch but also not a good father?
3. What character opens Act 2? What is he or she doing? What does this say about this character?
4. What does Rose say to cheer Sam up about the future?
5. What do the women think of Agnes Cushing?
6. How does the audience meet Shirley Kaplan?
7. Why does Alice Simpson berate Mrs. Hildebrand?
8. What has happened to Mr. Maurrant?
9. What does Mrs. Jones say about raising children?
10. How does the audience know Mr. Maurrant's personality immediately?
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Maurrant has a shocking change of character.
Part 1) How does his behavior change? Why?
Part 2) Why does the playwright make such a drastic change in his character?
Part 3) Predict how his sudden change will affect Rose, now and in the future. Use their interactions to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Rose wants to leave New York.
Part 1) Where does she want to go?
Part 2) What does she think this move will bring?
Part 3) Do you believe this move would be beneficial for her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sounds are a constant in this play.
Part 1) What types of sounds are heard? Why?
Part 2) How might these sounds affect the viewer? Why?
Part 3) Do you believe these sounds would enhance or detract from the play? Why?
This section contains 1,664 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)