|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lippo and Mrs. Maurrant do as the group discusses music and their respective favorites?
2. What does Mr. Maurrant tell the group he is going to do to his kids?
3. What does Rose's father ask about Mr. Easter?
4. What is one reason why Mr. Maurrant does not like foreigners?
5. What is Greta Fiorentino wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the others explain Mr. Maurrant's mood?
2. What do the police allow Mr. Maurrant to do? Why might they allow this?
3. How does Mrs. Maurrant react when Mrs. Jones tells her not to let her daughter get involved with a Jew? Why does everyone insist she not date a Jew?
4. What does Shirley tell Rose about her brother?
5. How does the audience know that Mr. Sankey and Mrs. Maurrant are having an affair?
6. What is a constant throughout the play? Why?
7. How does the play end similarly to how it begins?
8. How do the neighbors react to the new shots that were fired?
9. What does Mr. Maurrant say to Rose?
10. What does Willie want from his mother? Why does his mother give in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1There is a heat wave throughout the country. Part 1) Why do the characters frequently discuss this? Part 2) What is the author's purpose for having this mention of heat threaded through the play? Part 3) How does this heat add to the struggles of the characters?
Essay Topic 2Several characters in this play drink alcohol. Part 1) Who are these characters? Part 2) Why might they be drinking alcohol? Part 3) What affect does this drinking play in their behavior and the decisions they make?
Essay Topic 3Mr. Maurrant shoots and kills both his wife and Mr. Sankey. Part 1) Why does he murder them? Part 2) What clues earlier in the play foreshadowed this action? Part 3) How do various neighbors react to this event? Why do they react this way?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)