|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what do the other women agree?
2. What do the neighbors do when Ms. Simpson argues with Mrs. Hildebrand?
3. What do Lippo and Mrs. Maurrant do as the group discusses music and their respective favorites?
4. What do the women wonder about Mr. Maurrant?
5. How do the ladies brush off Mr. Maurrant' mood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What marriage advice does Lippo give to Rose?
2. Why does Rose ask Sam how to act in a synagogue? What is surprising about Sam's response?
3. What happens after Mr. Maurrant talks to Rose?
4. How does the audience learn Mr. Filippo Fiorentino is Italian?
5. How does the play end similarly to how it begins?
6. What do the police allow Mr. Maurrant to do? Why might they allow this?
7. What do the women do as soon as Mrs. Maurrant leaves and is out of ear shot?
8. What does Sam say when he interrupts his father and Lippo?
9. What does Mr. Easter ask Mrs. Jones? What is her reply?
10. What does Shirley tell Rose about her brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Maurrant has a shocking change of character.
Part 1) How does his behavior change? Why?
Part 2) Why does the playwright make such a drastic change in his character?
Part 3) Predict how his sudden change will affect Rose, now and in the future. Use their interactions to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Several characters in this play drink alcohol.
Part 1) Who are these characters?
Part 2) Why might they be drinking alcohol?
Part 3) What affect does this drinking play in their behavior and the decisions they make?
Essay Topic 3
The setting is very detailed.
Part 1) Describe the setting.
Part 2) How does the setting enhance the play?
Part 3) How can you relate to this setting? How is it relevant today?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)