|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Buchanan seem?
2. What is the audience able to see of this building?
3. About what do Emma, Greta, and Olga speak?
4. What is Rose doing as her father gets back from the bar?
5. What is one reason why Mr. Maurrant does not like foreigners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rose ask the group? How do they respond?
2. What does Sam say when he interrupts his father and Lippo?
3. What shocking remark does Sam make to Rose? How does she respond?
4. What do the police allow Mr. Maurrant to do? Why might they allow this?
5. What does Mr. Maurrant say to Rose?
6. What is happening to the Hildebrand family?
7. How does the audience learn Mr. Filippo Fiorentino is Italian?
8. How does Shirley sound like many teachers today?
9. What do the women do after they invite Mrs. Maurrant to visit?
10. What does Mrs. Jones tell Mrs. Olsen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Racism and prejudice permeates the minds of the characters.
Part 1) Give two examples of racism or other prejudice.
Part 2) How might these characters have learned to be prejudiced?
Part 3) How does this prejudice affect their relationships with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
The women sit on the stoop and gossip throughout the play.
Part 1) About what do they gossip?
Part 2) Why do they gossip?
Part 3) How might their gossiping affect their relationships with others? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Newspaper and tabloids are carried and discussed.
Part 1) What is the purpose of this media?
Part 2) How does it stir up the community?
Part 3) How does the media today serve a similar purpose as the media then?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)