|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Jones not understand about the Kaplans?
2. What does Mr. Maurrant tell the group he is going to do to his kids?
3. What do the women wonder about Sam Kaplan?
4. Who tries to help Rose by yelling at Vincent?
5. How do the ladies brush off Mr. Maurrant' mood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Jones continue to make racist remarks?
2. How is the audience's assumption about the weather verified?
3. How does the audience meet Shirley Kaplan?
4. What shocking remark does Sam make to Rose? How does she respond?
5. How does the audience know Mr. Maurrant's personality immediately?
6. Why does Shirley get upset about Rose being friends with Sam?
7. How does the play end similarly to how it begins?
8. What has happened to Mr. Maurrant?
9. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in her hands as she enters the scene? Why does she have this?
10. What are Sam's thoughts on God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting is very detailed.
Part 1) Describe the setting.
Part 2) How does the setting enhance the play?
Part 3) How can you relate to this setting? How is it relevant today?
Essay Topic 2
Shirley humiliates Rose.
Part 1) How does she humiliate Rose?
Part 2) Why does she do this? What does she fear?
Part 3) How do these two characters reconcile? Where else does reconciliation occur? What is the purpose of this reconciliation and forgiveness?
Essay Topic 3
Rose has many admirers.
Part 1) Why? How do these admirers treat her?
Part 2) How do the neighbors respond to the attention she receives? Why?
Part 3) How might these admirers play a role in her decision to be independent of a man at the end of the play?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)