|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what do the other women agree?
2. Who does Mrs. Jones say do not know anything about raising babies?
3. What does Mrs. Jones tell the group about marriage?
4. Why does Miss Cushing enter the scene excitedly?
5. What does Mr. Maurrant tell the group he is going to do to his kids?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shirley get upset about Rose being friends with Sam?
2. How does the play end similarly to how it begins?
3. What does Rose ask the group? How do they respond?
4. What are two nursemaids doing?
5. What has happened to Mrs. Buchanan?
6. How does Shirley hurt Rose? How does she apologize?
7. How is it evident that Mr. Maurrant is not only a grouch but also not a good father?
8. What do the women say about their older daughters?
9. What is a constant throughout the play? Why?
10. How does the audience know it is hot in this setting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting is very detailed.
Part 1) Describe the setting.
Part 2) How does the setting enhance the play?
Part 3) How can you relate to this setting? How is it relevant today?
Essay Topic 2
There is a heat wave throughout the country.
Part 1) Why do the characters frequently discuss this?
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for having this mention of heat threaded through the play?
Part 3) How does this heat add to the struggles of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Maurrant shoots and kills both his wife and Mr. Sankey.
Part 1) Why does he murder them?
Part 2) What clues earlier in the play foreshadowed this action?
Part 3) How do various neighbors react to this event? Why do they react this way?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)