|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what do the other women agree?
2. Where does this play begin?
3. Why does the group begin to break up?
4. How does the scene end?
5. What does Kaplan believe will no longer be necessary once there is no more personal property?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two nursemaids doing?
2. What does Rose ask the group? How do they respond?
3. What does Mr. Kaplan believe is the cause of the troubles in the world?
4. What marriage advice does Lippo give to Rose?
5. How does Mrs. Jones continue to make racist remarks?
6. How does the play end similarly to how it begins?
7. On what does Rose blame her father's attitude? What is Mrs. Maurrant's reaction?
8. What does Mrs. Jones say about raising children?
9. What does Mr. Easter ask a police officer? What is the reply?
10. What do the police allow Mr. Maurrant to do? Why might they allow this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rose has many admirers.
Part 1) Why? How do these admirers treat her?
Part 2) How do the neighbors respond to the attention she receives? Why?
Part 3) How might these admirers play a role in her decision to be independent of a man at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Maurrant is an angry, miserable character.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) How does his behavior affect his relationships with others?
Part 3) Compare and contrast his behavior throughout the play to his behavior at the end of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Racism and prejudice permeates the minds of the characters.
Part 1) Give two examples of racism or other prejudice.
Part 2) How might these characters have learned to be prejudiced?
Part 3) How does this prejudice affect their relationships with other characters?
This section contains 1,757 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)