|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rose doing as her father gets back from the bar?
2. What does Mrs. Jones tell the group about marriage?
3. How do the ladies brush off Mr. Maurrant' mood?
4. Why does Miss Cushing enter the scene excitedly?
5. What does Mr. Maurrant do when Willie appears, crying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the audience know Mr. Maurrant's personality immediately?
2. How do the neighbors react to the new shots that were fired?
3. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she has tried to do?
4. Describe the lighting and the character in the window.
5. What is evidence that life goes on?
6. What do the women say about their older daughters?
7. How does the audience learn Mr. Filippo Fiorentino is Italian?
8. What is happening to the Hildebrand family?
9. What does Willie want from his mother? Why does his mother give in?
10. What happens after Mr. Maurrant talks to Rose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women sit on the stoop and gossip throughout the play.
Part 1) About what do they gossip?
Part 2) Why do they gossip?
Part 3) How might their gossiping affect their relationships with others? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Rose wants to leave New York.
Part 1) Where does she want to go?
Part 2) What does she think this move will bring?
Part 3) Do you believe this move would be beneficial for her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Rose has many admirers.
Part 1) Why? How do these admirers treat her?
Part 2) How do the neighbors respond to the attention she receives? Why?
Part 3) How might these admirers play a role in her decision to be independent of a man at the end of the play?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)