|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rose's father ask about Mr. Easter?
2. Over what do they argue?
3. What does Emma Jones call Greta?
4. What is Rose doing as her father gets back from the bar?
5. What do the women gossip about, regarding Mrs. Maurrant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What marriage advice does Lippo give to Rose?
2. How does the audience learn Mr. Filippo Fiorentino is Italian?
3. What has happened to Mrs. Buchanan?
4. How are Shirley and Rose's beliefs about the mingling of cultures different?
5. What does Mr. Easter ask a police officer? What is the reply?
6. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she has tried to do?
7. What happens after Mr. Maurrant talks to Rose?
8. What does Shirley tell Rose about her brother?
9. What do the women do as soon as Mrs. Maurrant leaves and is out of ear shot?
10. What is happening to the Hildebrand family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women sit on the stoop and gossip throughout the play.
Part 1) About what do they gossip?
Part 2) Why do they gossip?
Part 3) How might their gossiping affect their relationships with others? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Life goes on at the end of the play.
Part 1) How does life go on?
Part 2) Why might the author choose to end the play this way?
Part 3) How are you, as the reader, affected by this ending? Why? Would the playwright be satisfied by your reaction to the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
This play was written in 1929.
Part 1) What can you gather about this time period, based on information in the play?
Part 2) How could audiences in 1929 relate to this play?
Part 3) How can viewers today still connect with the characters and plot of this play?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)