|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what do they argue?
2. What happens when Mr. Sankey arrives?
3. For whom is the ice cream that Agnes Cushing buys?
4. How does the scene end?
5. Where would Mrs. Maurrant like to go that evening, but her daughter has not come home yet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the audience know Mr. Maurrant's personality immediately?
2. What character opens Act 2? What is he or she doing? What does this say about this character?
3. What do the women do as soon as Mrs. Maurrant leaves and is out of ear shot?
4. What are two nursemaids doing?
5. What does Mr. Easter ask a police officer? What is the reply?
6. Describe the set.
7. What does Rose ask the group? How do they respond?
8. How does Mrs. Maurrant react when Mrs. Jones tells her not to let her daughter get involved with a Jew? Why does everyone insist she not date a Jew?
9. What does Mr. Kaplan believe about all young people?
10. How has Mr. Maurrant's mood worsened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam and Rose's relationships deepens as the play progresses.
Part 1) How?
Part 2) How do the neighbors respond to their relationship? Why?
Part 3) How does their separation from one another at the end of the play reflect their relationship at the beginning of the play?
Essay Topic 2
The setting is very detailed.
Part 1) Describe the setting.
Part 2) How does the setting enhance the play?
Part 3) How can you relate to this setting? How is it relevant today?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Maurrant has a shocking change of character.
Part 1) How does his behavior change? Why?
Part 2) Why does the playwright make such a drastic change in his character?
Part 3) Predict how his sudden change will affect Rose, now and in the future. Use their interactions to support your response.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)