|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Simpson do before leaving?
2. Where does Mr. Easter tell Rose he will find her a job?
3. Why does Mr. Buchanan rush out of the building?
4. What has the country's heat wave caused?
5. How does Vincent Jones treat Rose?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Shirley and Rose's beliefs about the mingling of cultures different?
2. Why does Alice Simpson berate Mrs. Hildebrand?
3. Why does Rose ask Sam how to act in a synagogue? What is surprising about Sam's response?
4. How does the scene begin? What are the movers and police doing?
5. How is it evident that Mr. Maurrant is not only a grouch but also not a good father?
6. How do the others explain Mr. Maurrant's mood?
7. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in her hands as she enters the scene? Why does she have this?
8. How is the audience's assumption about the weather verified?
9. What does Sam say when he interrupts his father and Lippo?
10. What does Mrs. Jones tell Mrs. Olsen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rose wants to leave New York.
Part 1) Where does she want to go?
Part 2) What does she think this move will bring?
Part 3) Do you believe this move would be beneficial for her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The characters interact like a family.
Part 1) How do they interact like a family?
Part 2) What has brought them together as a family-like unit?
Part 3) Do they care for one another throughout the entire play? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Maurrant has a shocking change of character.
Part 1) How does his behavior change? Why?
Part 2) Why does the playwright make such a drastic change in his character?
Part 3) Predict how his sudden change will affect Rose, now and in the future. Use their interactions to support your response.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)