|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What opinion does Mrs. Maurrant try to quietly assert?
2. What is a constant throughout the play?
3. What does Mr. Maurrant tell the group he is going to do to his kids?
4. What is the lighting on the stage?
5. How do the ladies brush off Mr. Maurrant' mood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Mrs. Buchanan?
2. What does Mr. Maurrant say to Rose?
3. Why are the women so interested in Mr. Buchanan?
4. What happens after Mr. Maurrant talks to Rose?
5. What character opens Act 2? What is he or she doing? What does this say about this character?
6. What does Mr. Easter ask a police officer? What is the reply?
7. What do the women say about their older daughters?
8. Describe the lighting and the character in the window.
9. How does Mrs. Maurrant react when Mrs. Jones tells her not to let her daughter get involved with a Jew? Why does everyone insist she not date a Jew?
10. What does Mrs. Jones tell Mrs. Olsen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Maurrant has a shocking change of character.
Part 1) How does his behavior change? Why?
Part 2) Why does the playwright make such a drastic change in his character?
Part 3) Predict how his sudden change will affect Rose, now and in the future. Use their interactions to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Maurrant is an angry, miserable character.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) How does his behavior affect his relationships with others?
Part 3) Compare and contrast his behavior throughout the play to his behavior at the end of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Several characters in this play drink alcohol.
Part 1) Who are these characters?
Part 2) Why might they be drinking alcohol?
Part 3) What affect does this drinking play in their behavior and the decisions they make?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)