|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does this play begin?
2. Where does Mr. Easter tell Rose he will find her a job?
3. What do the women do, after Mr. Sankey's arrival?
4. What is one reason why Mr. Maurrant does not like foreigners?
5. About what do Emma, Greta, and Olga speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rose feel that no one should belong to anyone else?
2. What does Rose ask the group? How do they respond?
3. What does Mrs. Jones tell Mrs. Olsen?
4. How does the audience know Mr. Maurrant's personality immediately?
5. Describe Rose's exit.
6. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she has tried to do?
7. What is a constant throughout the play? Why?
8. What has happened to Mr. Maurrant?
9. How is the audience's assumption about the weather verified?
10. What does Rose suggest her mother do about Mr. Sankey? Why does Rose suggest this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a heat wave throughout the country.
Part 1) Why do the characters frequently discuss this?
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for having this mention of heat threaded through the play?
Part 3) How does this heat add to the struggles of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Rose wants to leave New York.
Part 1) Where does she want to go?
Part 2) What does she think this move will bring?
Part 3) Do you believe this move would be beneficial for her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The characters interact like a family.
Part 1) How do they interact like a family?
Part 2) What has brought them together as a family-like unit?
Part 3) Do they care for one another throughout the entire play? Why or why not?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)