|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the scene end?
2. Why does Willie ask his mother for a dime?
3. For whom is the ice cream that Agnes Cushing buys?
4. What are Mae Jones and Dick McGann doing as Rose passes them?
5. What is Sam doing when he and Rose are left alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the others explain Mr. Maurrant's mood?
2. What are Rose's plans for the future?
3. What marriage advice does Lippo give to Rose?
4. How is it evident that Mr. Maurrant is not only a grouch but also not a good father?
5. How does the audience know it is hot in this setting?
6. What does Rose say to cheer Sam up about the future?
7. What does Mr. Maurrant say to Rose?
8. How does the audience know that Mr. Sankey and Mrs. Maurrant are having an affair?
9. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in her hands as she enters the scene? Why does she have this?
10. Why does Shirley get upset about Rose being friends with Sam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women sit on the stoop and gossip throughout the play.
Part 1) About what do they gossip?
Part 2) Why do they gossip?
Part 3) How might their gossiping affect their relationships with others? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
There is a heat wave throughout the country.
Part 1) Why do the characters frequently discuss this?
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for having this mention of heat threaded through the play?
Part 3) How does this heat add to the struggles of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Rose wants to leave New York.
Part 1) Where does she want to go?
Part 2) What does she think this move will bring?
Part 3) Do you believe this move would be beneficial for her? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,683 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)