|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the women gossip about, regarding Mrs. Maurrant?
2. For whom is the ice cream that Agnes Cushing buys?
3. Why does Willie ask his mother for a dime?
4. How does Mr. Maurrant look when he arrives home?
5. What does Mr. Maurrant do when Willie appears, crying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Sam's thoughts on God?
2. What has happened to Mrs. Buchanan?
3. Describe the set.
4. What is evidence that life goes on?
5. How does Shirley hurt Rose? How does she apologize?
6. How does the audience know Mr. Maurrant's personality immediately?
7. What marriage advice does Lippo give to Rose?
8. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in her hands as she enters the scene? Why does she have this?
9. Why does Rose ask Sam how to act in a synagogue? What is surprising about Sam's response?
10. How does the audience meet Shirley Kaplan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Maurrant shoots and kills both his wife and Mr. Sankey.
Part 1) Why does he murder them?
Part 2) What clues earlier in the play foreshadowed this action?
Part 3) How do various neighbors react to this event? Why do they react this way?
Essay Topic 2
Newspaper and tabloids are carried and discussed.
Part 1) What is the purpose of this media?
Part 2) How does it stir up the community?
Part 3) How does the media today serve a similar purpose as the media then?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Maurrant and Mr. Sankey are in a relationship.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) What are the other tenants' thoughts on this? Why?
Part 3) Why does Mrs. Maurrant risk her reputation, marriage, and ultimately her life to be with Mr. Sankey? What does this say about the pursuit of happiness?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)