|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where has Mr. Buchanan just got back?
(a) Visiting his mother.
(c) Getting medicine for his wife.
(d) The grocery store.
2. What does Mary Hildebrand tell Rose and Mr. Kaplan?
(a) Her family is to be evicted from their apartment that afternoon.
(b) Her father has not returned.
(c) She is going to school with her brother.
(d) Her family just got back from the movies.
3. Why can the Hildebrands not pay the rent?
(a) Their father left.
(b) Mrs. Hildebrand lost her job.
(c) The rent has increased.
(d) Mrs. Hildebrand has left.
4. What does Sam urge Mrs. Jones to do?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Go and warn Mrs. Maurrant.
(c) Stop Mr. Maurrant.
(d) Leave the building.
5. What does Sam think about God?
(a) God is just a superstition.
(b) God is the God of Israel and no one else.
(c) God has forgotten him.
(d) God is unkind.
6. How does Shirley hurt Rose's feelings?
(a) Sam will soon forget her.
(b) Shirley tells her that Sam only sees a pretty face in Rose.
(c) Shirley tells Rose she is not smart enough for Sam.
(d) Sam only likes her because there is no one else.
7. What does Sam suggest that Rose and he both do?
(a) End their lives together.
(b) Run away.
(c) Get married.
(d) Go on a date.
8. What happens after another shot is heard?
(a) The marshal yells for someone to get an ambulance.
(b) Mrs. Maurrant jumps out the window.
(c) The neighbors rush into the apartment.
(d) Mr. Maurrant runs out of the building.
9. What does Mrs. Maurrant do after she motions Mr. Sankey over to the window?
(a) She gives him a kiss.
(b) She runs back into her apartment.
(c) Invites him upstairs.
(d) She tells him to go home to his wife.
10. What is Mrs. Maurrant making for Mrs. Buchanan?
(a) Some tea.
(b) A present.
(c) Some soup.
(d) A blanket.
11. Why does Mr. Maurrant stop telling Sam why he is not going to Stanford for work?
(a) He sees Rose walking down the street.
(b) He sees his wife and Mr. Sankey walking down the street.
(c) He loses his train of thought.
(d) When he realizes that the shades are drawn to his apartment.
12. What has Mr. Buchanan received because of his wife and new baby?
(a) One month of no rent.
(b) A gift from his boss.
(c) A second job.
(d) The day off of work.
13. What does Lippo tell Rose about the high temperature?
(a) It is the hottest weather he has felt in many years.
(b) It is bothering his arthritis.
(c) It reminds him of the weather in Greece, where he grew up.
(d) It is reminiscent of the weather in Italy where he grew up.
14. What is Sam's reply when Rose asks what happened?
(a) He simply tells her that there was an accident and she should go away.
(b) He tells her that her mother was shot.
(c) He tells her that he does not know what happened.
(d) He simply tells her that her mother is dead.
15. What does Fred find when he arrives?
(a) Two dead women.
(b) A dead man.
(c) Two dead men.
(d) A dead woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction when Miss Cushing appears at the Maurrant's window and yells for an ambulance?
2. What does the policeman not want anyone to do?
3. Why does Rose suggest the milkman not come around as often?
4. What does Mr. Maurrant do as he leaves for work?
5. What does Rose try to explain to Shirley that she has not meant to do?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)