|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Shirley, what is made more difficult by the heat?
(a) Getting up and going to work.
(d) The control of her classroom.
2. What does the policeman do when he arrives?
(a) Calls for backup.
(b) Goes into the Maurrant's apartment.
(c) Looks for the marshal and Fred.
(d) He goes down into the cellar with two men from the crowd.
3. What is the reaction when Miss Cushing appears at the Maurrant's window and yells for an ambulance?
(a) Everyone rushes to get an ambulance.
(b) Someone tells her to be quiet.
(c) Everyone stares at her in shock.
(d) No one pays attention to her.
4. How does Shirley hurt Rose's feelings?
(a) Shirley tells her that Sam only sees a pretty face in Rose.
(b) Shirley tells Rose she is not smart enough for Sam.
(c) Sam only likes her because there is no one else.
(d) Sam will soon forget her.
5. What does Mr. Kaplan believe is the cause of the troubles with the world?
(a) Economic and social policy.
(b) Unkind people.
(c) God's wrath.
(d) Natural disasters.
6. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in a paper bag?
(a) A bottle of wine.
(b) The chicken.
(c) A present for Mrs. Buchanan.
(d) Candy for her children.
7. Who appears in one of the windows and greets Shirley and Rose?
(d) Mrs. Jones.
8. About what does Shirley want to tell Rose?
(a) Her school.
(b) Her summer courses.
(c) Her new boyfriend.
(d) Her brother, Sam.
9. From where has Mr. Buchanan just got back?
(a) Getting medicine for his wife.
(b) Visiting his mother.
(d) The grocery store.
10. Why do James Henry, a city marshal, and his assistant, Fred Cullen, stop in front of the building?
(a) They are looking for Mr. Maurrant.
(b) They heard there was a break-in.
(c) They are doing a routine patrol of the streets.
(d) They have a dispossess warrant for Mrs. Hildebrand.
11. Why does Rose suggest the milkman not come around as often?
(a) His milk is often spoiled.
(b) He is annoying.
(c) On account of all the talk from the neighbors.
(d) They do not need that much milk.
12. What is heard from Ms. Olsen?
(a) A gasp.
(b) A scream.
(c) A gun shot.
(d) A laugh.
13. What does Mr. Maurrant do as he leaves for work?
(a) He instructs his wife in her duties for the day.
(b) He storms out of the building without talking to anyone.
(c) He greets everyone in the apartment.
(d) He harasses his wife and accuses her of letting other men visit her.
14. What happens when Sam tries to stop Mr. Maurrant?
(a) He pushes Sam aside.
(b) He dodges Sam.
(c) Sam trips.
(d) He yells at Sam.
15. What is heard throughout the scene?
(a) Traffic noise.
(b) Birds chirping.
(c) Factory noises.
(d) The piano being played by one of Lippo's students.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Mr. Buchanan received because of his wife and new baby?
2. Why is Mrs. Maurrant tired?
3. Why does Rose ask Sam if there is a certain way she should act in a synagogue?
4. What does Sam suggest that Rose and he both do?
5. Why can the Hildebrands not pay the rent?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)