|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sam do when Rose suggests running away?
(a) Sam tries to convince her to stay.
(b) Sam suggests they run away together.
(c) Sam tells her to run away alone.
(d) He suggests they commit suicide instead.
2. Why does Mr. Maurrant stop telling Sam why he is not going to Stanford for work?
(a) He sees his wife and Mr. Sankey walking down the street.
(b) He loses his train of thought.
(c) When he realizes that the shades are drawn to his apartment.
(d) He sees Rose walking down the street.
3. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in a paper bag?
(a) A bottle of wine.
(b) A present for Mrs. Buchanan.
(c) Candy for her children.
(d) The chicken.
4. What is Mrs. Maurrant making for Mrs. Buchanan?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A present.
(c) Some tea.
(d) Some soup.
5. Why is Rose surprised when Shirley tells her that it will be several years before Sam is ready to care for a family?
(a) She will wait for Sam.
(b) She is disappointed.
(c) She does not like Sam.
(d) She is just good friends with Sam.
6. What happens after another shot is heard?
(a) The neighbors rush into the apartment.
(b) Mr. Maurrant runs out of the building.
(c) The marshal yells for someone to get an ambulance.
(d) Mrs. Maurrant jumps out the window.
7. According to Shirley, what is made more difficult by the heat?
(a) The control of her classroom.
(b) Getting up and going to work.
8. Sam, disgusted, tells Rose that this man will want only one thing in return for his assistance. How does she respond?
(a) No one gets anything for free, and perhaps it would be worth it to get out of her current situation.
(b) That is what she is hoping.
(c) If that is true, then she will not go along with this man's plan.
(d) What he says is not true.
9. What does Lippo tell Rose about the high temperature?
(a) It is reminiscent of the weather in Italy where he grew up.
(b) It is bothering his arthritis.
(c) It is the hottest weather he has felt in many years.
(d) It reminds him of the weather in Greece, where he grew up.
10. What does Mr. Kaplan believe is the cause of the troubles with the world?
(a) Natural disasters.
(b) Unkind people.
(c) God's wrath.
(d) Economic and social policy.
11. What does Mr. Kaplan say about all the young people?
(a) They too serious.
(b) They are so unhappy.
(c) They need to go to school.
(d) They are naive.
12. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she needs in her life?
(a) More money.
(b) A miracle.
(c) Something that brings her joy.
(d) More time to herself.
13. What does Sam suggest that Rose and he both do?
(a) Run away.
(b) End their lives together.
(c) Go on a date.
(d) Get married.
14. What does Fred yell at the crowd?
(a) To get help.
(b) Mr. Maurrant is about to run out of the building.
(c) To go back home.
(d) To back away.
15. Who watches Rose and Mr. Easter as they walk to the funeral?
(a) Sam and Mrs. Maurrant.
(b) Mr. Kaplan.
(c) Mr. Maurrant.
(d) Mr. Jones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Mr. Buchanan received because of his wife and new baby?
2. What is heard throughout the scene?
3. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she has always tried to do?
4. What does the policeman do when he arrives?
5. From where has Mr. Buchanan just got back?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)