|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Maurrant respond when her daughter implies that Mr. Maurrant may be more kind, if her mother would not have a relationship with someone outside this marriage?
(a) She agrees with Rose.
(b) She tells Rose that she cannot believe that she is acting like the others. She thought Rose would be the one person who would understand.
(c) She knows Rose and the neighbors are right.
(d) She is surprised that Rose is so observant.
2. What is the reaction when Miss Cushing appears at the Maurrant's window and yells for an ambulance?
(a) Everyone rushes to get an ambulance.
(b) No one pays attention to her.
(c) Someone tells her to be quiet.
(d) Everyone stares at her in shock.
3. From where has Mr. Buchanan just got back?
(a) Getting medicine for his wife.
(b) Visiting his mother.
(d) The grocery store.
4. What is known about Mrs. Maurrant when the doctor arrives?
(a) She is still breathing.
(b) She has minor injuries.
(c) She is dead.
(d) She was not shot.
5. Why does Rose suggest the milkman not come around as often?
(a) His milk is often spoiled.
(b) On account of all the talk from the neighbors.
(c) He is annoying.
(d) They do not need that much milk.
6. What is heard throughout the scene?
(a) The piano being played by one of Lippo's students.
(b) Factory noises.
(c) Traffic noise.
(d) Birds chirping.
7. About what does Shirley want to tell Rose?
(a) Her school.
(b) Her summer courses.
(c) Her brother, Sam.
(d) Her new boyfriend.
8. What is Sam repeatedly trying to find out?
(a) If Rose was in the apartment.
(b) Where Willie is.
(c) If Mr. Sankey was in the apartment.
(d) Whether or not Mrs. Maurrant is still alive.
9. What happens after Mrs. Maurrant is heard yelling her husband's name?
(a) Mr. Maurrant yells at Mr. Sankey.
(b) Two gunshots are heard.
(c) Mr. Sankey tries to jump out the window.
(d) The window glass breaks.
10. How can the audience see some of the activities of the apartment residents?
(a) They are performing their activities on the stoop.
(b) Through their windows.
(c) The set opens up.
(d) Small set are pulled to the front of the stage.
11. What is heard from Ms. Olsen?
(a) A gasp.
(b) A gun shot.
(c) A scream.
(d) A laugh.
12. What forms in front of the building?
(a) A pool of blood.
(b) A bunch of tourists.
(c) A line of police officers.
(d) A crowd.
13. What does Mr. Maurrant do as he leaves for work?
(a) He instructs his wife in her duties for the day.
(b) He storms out of the building without talking to anyone.
(c) He greets everyone in the apartment.
(d) He harasses his wife and accuses her of letting other men visit her.
14. Why does Shirley tell Rose to stay away from her brother?
(a) If Rose is not in love with Sam, she should leave him alone.
(b) Rose is not good enough for her brother.
(c) It is not good to get involved with someone so different from her.
(d) Her brother is too busy to be having a girlfriend.
15. Why does Rose ask Sam if there is a certain way she should act in a synagogue?
(a) She is curious about his faith.
(b) The funeral that she will be attending today takes place in a synagogue.
(c) She is thinking about converting to Judaism.
(d) She is going to a Jewish wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fred tell the crowd?
2. What was done with Sam's mother's body?
3. What does the policeman not want anyone to do?
4. Why do James Henry, a city marshal, and his assistant, Fred Cullen, stop in front of the building?
5. What does Mary Hildebrand tell Rose and Mr. Kaplan?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)