|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Maurrant do after she motions Mr. Sankey over to the window?
(a) She gives him a kiss.
(b) She tells him to go home to his wife.
(c) She runs back into her apartment.
(d) Invites him upstairs.
2. How does Mrs. Maurrant respond when her daughter implies that Mr. Maurrant may be more kind, if her mother would not have a relationship with someone outside this marriage?
(a) She is surprised that Rose is so observant.
(b) She tells Rose that she cannot believe that she is acting like the others. She thought Rose would be the one person who would understand.
(c) She knows Rose and the neighbors are right.
(d) She agrees with Rose.
3. What does Sam think about God?
(a) God is unkind.
(b) God has forgotten him.
(c) God is the God of Israel and no one else.
(d) God is just a superstition.
4. Who appears in one of the windows and greets Shirley and Rose?
(d) Mrs. Jones.
5. What is Mrs. Maurrant making for Mrs. Buchanan?
(a) Some soup.
(b) A blanket.
(c) Some tea.
(d) A present.
6. What does Mr. Maurrant do as he leaves for work?
(a) He harasses his wife and accuses her of letting other men visit her.
(b) He instructs his wife in her duties for the day.
(c) He greets everyone in the apartment.
(d) He storms out of the building without talking to anyone.
7. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter that sometimes she thinks?
(a) She would like to live outside the city.
(b) She wants to run away.
(c) She would be better off dead.
(d) She wants to get a divorce.
8. What is the reaction when Miss Cushing appears at the Maurrant's window and yells for an ambulance?
(a) No one pays attention to her.
(b) Everyone rushes to get an ambulance.
(c) Everyone stares at her in shock.
(d) Someone tells her to be quiet.
9. What does Sam suggest that Rose and he both do?
(a) Run away.
(b) End their lives together.
(c) Go on a date.
(d) Get married.
10. What forms in front of the building?
(a) A bunch of tourists.
(b) A crowd.
(c) A line of police officers.
(d) A pool of blood.
11. What are the rest of the characters doing at the beginning of this scene?
(a) Still sleeping.
(b) Going to bed.
(c) Beginning their day.
(d) Coming in from work.
12. From where has Mr. Buchanan just got back?
(a) Visiting his mother.
(b) The grocery store.
(d) Getting medicine for his wife.
13. What does the policeman not want anyone to do?
(a) Go into the Maurrant's apartment.
(b) Stay outside.
(c) Wait for Mr. Maurrant to return.
(d) Leave or enter the building.
14. What does Mary Hildebrand tell Rose and Mr. Kaplan?
(a) Her father has not returned.
(b) Her family is to be evicted from their apartment that afternoon.
(c) Her family just got back from the movies.
(d) She is going to school with her brother.
15. What does Fred yell at the crowd?
(a) Mr. Maurrant is about to run out of the building.
(b) To get help.
(c) To back away.
(d) To go back home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sam repeatedly trying to find out?
2. Why does Mr. Maurrant stop telling Sam why he is not going to Stanford for work?
3. Sam, disgusted, tells Rose that this man will want only one thing in return for his assistance. How does she respond?
4. What is known about Mrs. Maurrant when the doctor arrives?
5. What does Fred find when he arrives?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)