|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Maurrant tired?
(a) She has been helping Mrs. Buchanan nearly all night.
(b) She has been at work all night.
(c) She has had to deal with her moody husband.
(d) She did not sleep well.
2. How does Shirley hurt Rose's feelings?
(a) Sam only likes her because there is no one else.
(b) Sam will soon forget her.
(c) Shirley tells her that Sam only sees a pretty face in Rose.
(d) Shirley tells Rose she is not smart enough for Sam.
3. Why does Rose suggest the milkman not come around as often?
(a) He is annoying.
(b) On account of all the talk from the neighbors.
(c) They do not need that much milk.
(d) His milk is often spoiled.
4. What does Fred tell the crowd?
(a) Mrs. Maurrant and another woman are dead.
(b) The shots were a false alarm.
(c) Two men are dead in this apartment.
(d) A man has shot his wife and another man.
5. What does Rose ask Mr. Kaplan will happen, despite the removal of capitalism?
(a) If people will still be poor.
(b) If people will still be mean to each other.
(c) If life will still be so difficult.
(d) If she will ever find happiness.
6. Who appears in one of the windows and greets Shirley and Rose?
(a) Mrs. Jones.
7. From where has Mr. Buchanan just got back?
(b) Visiting his mother.
(c) The grocery store.
(d) Getting medicine for his wife.
8. What does the policeman do when he arrives?
(a) Goes into the Maurrant's apartment.
(b) Calls for backup.
(c) He goes down into the cellar with two men from the crowd.
(d) Looks for the marshal and Fred.
9. What does Lippo tell Rose about the high temperature?
(a) It is the hottest weather he has felt in many years.
(b) It reminds him of the weather in Greece, where he grew up.
(c) It is bothering his arthritis.
(d) It is reminiscent of the weather in Italy where he grew up.
10. Why is Rose surprised when Shirley tells her that it will be several years before Sam is ready to care for a family?
(a) She is just good friends with Sam.
(b) She does not like Sam.
(c) She will wait for Sam.
(d) She is disappointed.
11. Why does Shirley tell Rose to stay away from her brother?
(a) If Rose is not in love with Sam, she should leave him alone.
(b) It is not good to get involved with someone so different from her.
(c) Rose is not good enough for her brother.
(d) Her brother is too busy to be having a girlfriend.
12. What does Mr. Maurrant look like as he emerges from the building?
(a) Surprised to see everyone standing there.
(b) Unsure of what has just happened.
(d) His clothes are ripped and he is covered with blood.
13. What does Mr. Kaplan believe is the cause of the troubles with the world?
(a) Unkind people.
(b) Economic and social policy.
(c) Natural disasters.
(d) God's wrath.
14. Where does Mr. Easter suggest they go after the funeral?
(a) Into the city.
(b) To dinner.
(c) A movie.
(d) The beach.
15. What does Fred yell at the crowd?
(a) To get help.
(b) Mr. Maurrant is about to run out of the building.
(c) To back away.
(d) To go back home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can the Hildebrands not pay the rent?
2. Who watches Rose and Mr. Easter as they walk to the funeral?
3. Why does Mr. Maurrant stop telling Sam why he is not going to Stanford for work?
4. Why do James Henry, a city marshal, and his assistant, Fred Cullen, stop in front of the building?
5. What is heard from Ms. Olsen?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)