|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Maurrant have just enough strength to do?
(a) Call out Mr. Sankey's name.
(b) Look at Rose.
(c) Open her eyes and say Rose's name.
2. What does Fred yell at the crowd?
(a) To get help.
(b) Mr. Maurrant is about to run out of the building.
(c) To go back home.
(d) To back away.
3. How does Mrs. Maurrant respond when Rose tells her that she tried to bring up the subject of them moving out of the city but Mr. Maurrant would not listen?
(a) She is angry with him.
(b) She knew he would not.
(c) She decides she will talk to him.
(d) She is surprised he did not listen.
4. What are the rest of the characters doing at the beginning of this scene?
(a) Coming in from work.
(b) Going to bed.
(c) Still sleeping.
(d) Beginning their day.
5. How does Mrs. Maurrant respond when her daughter implies that Mr. Maurrant may be more kind, if her mother would not have a relationship with someone outside this marriage?
(a) She agrees with Rose.
(b) She tells Rose that she cannot believe that she is acting like the others. She thought Rose would be the one person who would understand.
(c) She is surprised that Rose is so observant.
(d) She knows Rose and the neighbors are right.
6. What does Mrs. Maurrant do after she motions Mr. Sankey over to the window?
(a) She tells him to go home to his wife.
(b) She gives him a kiss.
(c) She runs back into her apartment.
(d) Invites him upstairs.
7. What was done with Sam's mother's body?
(a) She was buried in her native Jerusalem.
(b) She was cremated.
(c) She was buried.
(d) She cremated, and her ashes were spread out at sea.
8. Sam, disgusted, tells Rose that this man will want only one thing in return for his assistance. How does she respond?
(a) What he says is not true.
(b) No one gets anything for free, and perhaps it would be worth it to get out of her current situation.
(c) That is what she is hoping.
(d) If that is true, then she will not go along with this man's plan.
9. According to Shirley, what is made more difficult by the heat?
(c) The control of her classroom.
(d) Getting up and going to work.
10. What does the policeman not want anyone to do?
(a) Wait for Mr. Maurrant to return.
(b) Leave or enter the building.
(c) Go into the Maurrant's apartment.
(d) Stay outside.
11. What does Sam urge Mrs. Jones to do?
(a) Stop Mr. Maurrant.
(b) Go and warn Mrs. Maurrant.
(c) Call the police.
(d) Leave the building.
12. Who does Mr. Sankey awkwardly bump into coming out of the building?
(a) Mr. Buchanan.
(d) Mrs. Jones.
13. What does Sam do when Rose suggests running away?
(a) Sam tries to convince her to stay.
(b) Sam tells her to run away alone.
(c) Sam suggests they run away together.
(d) He suggests they commit suicide instead.
14. What is Mrs. Maurrant making for Mrs. Buchanan?
(a) A present.
(b) A blanket.
(c) Some soup.
(d) Some tea.
15. What does Mr. Kaplan believe is the cause of the troubles with the world?
(a) Unkind people.
(b) God's wrath.
(c) Natural disasters.
(d) Economic and social policy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Sam tries to stop Mr. Maurrant?
2. Why is Rose surprised when Shirley tells her that it will be several years before Sam is ready to care for a family?
3. Where does Mr. Easter suggest they go after the funeral?
4. What does Rose try to explain to Shirley that she has not meant to do?
5. Who watches Rose and Mr. Easter as they walk to the funeral?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)