|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rose ask Sam if there is a certain way she should act in a synagogue?
(a) She is going to a Jewish wedding.
(b) The funeral that she will be attending today takes place in a synagogue.
(c) She is thinking about converting to Judaism.
(d) She is curious about his faith.
2. What does Mr. Maurrant do as he leaves for work?
(a) He storms out of the building without talking to anyone.
(b) He instructs his wife in her duties for the day.
(c) He harasses his wife and accuses her of letting other men visit her.
(d) He greets everyone in the apartment.
3. What does Rose try to explain to Shirley that she has not meant to do?
(a) Distract Sam in anyway.
(b) Lead Sam on.
(c) Trick Sam into liking her.
(d) Hurt her feelings.
4. What forms in front of the building?
(a) A crowd.
(b) A pool of blood.
(c) A line of police officers.
(d) A bunch of tourists.
5. What does Mr. Maurrant look like as he emerges from the building?
(b) Unsure of what has just happened.
(c) Surprised to see everyone standing there.
(d) His clothes are ripped and he is covered with blood.
6. What is known about Mrs. Maurrant when the doctor arrives?
(a) She has minor injuries.
(b) She is still breathing.
(c) She was not shot.
(d) She is dead.
7. What does Mrs. Maurrant do after she motions Mr. Sankey over to the window?
(a) She tells him to go home to his wife.
(b) Invites him upstairs.
(c) She runs back into her apartment.
(d) She gives him a kiss.
8. What does Mary Hildebrand tell Rose and Mr. Kaplan?
(a) Her family is to be evicted from their apartment that afternoon.
(b) She is going to school with her brother.
(c) Her family just got back from the movies.
(d) Her father has not returned.
9. What is Sam's reply when Rose asks what happened?
(a) He tells her that her mother was shot.
(b) He tells her that he does not know what happened.
(c) He simply tells her that her mother is dead.
(d) He simply tells her that there was an accident and she should go away.
10. How can the audience see some of the activities of the apartment residents?
(a) Through their windows.
(b) The set opens up.
(c) They are performing their activities on the stoop.
(d) Small set are pulled to the front of the stage.
11. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter that sometimes she thinks?
(a) She would be better off dead.
(b) She would like to live outside the city.
(c) She wants to run away.
(d) She wants to get a divorce.
12. Who watches Rose and Mr. Easter as they walk to the funeral?
(a) Mr. Maurrant.
(b) Mr. Kaplan.
(c) Sam and Mrs. Maurrant.
(d) Mr. Jones.
13. Where does Mr. Easter suggest they go after the funeral?
(a) To dinner.
(b) The beach.
(c) Into the city.
(d) A movie.
14. What does Rose ask Mr. Kaplan will happen, despite the removal of capitalism?
(a) If life will still be so difficult.
(b) If people will still be poor.
(c) If she will ever find happiness.
(d) If people will still be mean to each other.
15. What does Sam urge Mrs. Jones to do?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Stop Mr. Maurrant.
(c) Leave the building.
(d) Go and warn Mrs. Maurrant.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where has Mr. Buchanan just got back?
2. Why do James Henry, a city marshal, and his assistant, Fred Cullen, stop in front of the building?
3. What happens after another shot is heard?
4. What does Fred yell at the crowd?
5. What is Sam repeatedly trying to find out?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)