|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is known about Mrs. Maurrant when the doctor arrives?
(a) She has minor injuries.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She was not shot.
(d) She is still breathing.
2. What does Rose try to explain to Shirley that she has not meant to do?
(a) Distract Sam in anyway.
(b) Hurt her feelings.
(c) Lead Sam on.
(d) Trick Sam into liking her.
3. What does Mary Hildebrand tell Rose and Mr. Kaplan?
(a) She is going to school with her brother.
(b) Her family is to be evicted from their apartment that afternoon.
(c) Her family just got back from the movies.
(d) Her father has not returned.
4. According to Shirley, what is made more difficult by the heat?
(a) Getting up and going to work.
(d) The control of her classroom.
5. What does the policeman do when he arrives?
(a) Goes into the Maurrant's apartment.
(b) Looks for the marshal and Fred.
(c) He goes down into the cellar with two men from the crowd.
(d) Calls for backup.
6. What is noticeable about Mr. Jones, the next morning?
(a) He is up early.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He is in a bad mood.
(d) He is headed to work.
7. How does Rose change the subject with Sam?
(a) By telling him she is moving to the country.
(b) By telling him she does not like him.
(c) By telling him that someone wants to put her on stage.
(d) By telling him she is going back home.
8. How does Mrs. Maurrant respond when her daughter implies that Mr. Maurrant may be more kind, if her mother would not have a relationship with someone outside this marriage?
(a) She agrees with Rose.
(b) She is surprised that Rose is so observant.
(c) She tells Rose that she cannot believe that she is acting like the others. She thought Rose would be the one person who would understand.
(d) She knows Rose and the neighbors are right.
9. Who appears in one of the windows and greets Shirley and Rose?
(d) Mrs. Jones.
10. What does Mr. Maurrant look like as he emerges from the building?
(a) His clothes are ripped and he is covered with blood.
(c) Unsure of what has just happened.
(d) Surprised to see everyone standing there.
11. What does Mr. Maurrant do as he leaves for work?
(a) He greets everyone in the apartment.
(b) He harasses his wife and accuses her of letting other men visit her.
(c) He storms out of the building without talking to anyone.
(d) He instructs his wife in her duties for the day.
12. What does Sam urge Mrs. Jones to do?
(a) Stop Mr. Maurrant.
(b) Leave the building.
(c) Go and warn Mrs. Maurrant.
(d) Call the police.
13. What does Fred find when he arrives?
(a) Two dead men.
(b) Two dead women.
(c) A dead man.
(d) A dead woman.
14. Why does Rose suggest the milkman not come around as often?
(a) He is annoying.
(b) His milk is often spoiled.
(c) They do not need that much milk.
(d) On account of all the talk from the neighbors.
15. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in a paper bag?
(a) A bottle of wine.
(b) The chicken.
(c) A present for Mrs. Buchanan.
(d) Candy for her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Maurrant do after she motions Mr. Sankey over to the window?
2. What does Sam think about God?
3. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter that sometimes she thinks?
4. What does Lippo tell Rose about the high temperature?
5. How does Shirley hurt Rose's feelings?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)