|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who watches Rose and Mr. Easter as they walk to the funeral?
(a) Mr. Kaplan.
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) Sam and Mrs. Maurrant.
(d) Mr. Maurrant.
2. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter that sometimes she thinks?
(a) She wants to run away.
(b) She wants to get a divorce.
(c) She would be better off dead.
(d) She would like to live outside the city.
3. What does the policeman not want anyone to do?
(a) Go into the Maurrant's apartment.
(b) Stay outside.
(c) Wait for Mr. Maurrant to return.
(d) Leave or enter the building.
4. What does Mr. Kaplan believe is the cause of the troubles with the world?
(a) Natural disasters.
(b) God's wrath.
(c) Economic and social policy.
(d) Unkind people.
5. Why is Rose surprised when Shirley tells her that it will be several years before Sam is ready to care for a family?
(a) She is just good friends with Sam.
(b) She is disappointed.
(c) She does not like Sam.
(d) She will wait for Sam.
6. What does Fred tell the crowd?
(a) Two men are dead in this apartment.
(b) The shots were a false alarm.
(c) A man has shot his wife and another man.
(d) Mrs. Maurrant and another woman are dead.
7. What does Sam suggest that Rose and he both do?
(a) Run away.
(b) Get married.
(c) End their lives together.
(d) Go on a date.
8. What does the policeman do when he arrives?
(a) Calls for backup.
(b) Looks for the marshal and Fred.
(c) He goes down into the cellar with two men from the crowd.
(d) Goes into the Maurrant's apartment.
9. What was done with Sam's mother's body?
(a) She was buried in her native Jerusalem.
(b) She was buried.
(c) She was cremated.
(d) She cremated, and her ashes were spread out at sea.
10. Why does Shirley tell Rose to stay away from her brother?
(a) Rose is not good enough for her brother.
(b) Her brother is too busy to be having a girlfriend.
(c) If Rose is not in love with Sam, she should leave him alone.
(d) It is not good to get involved with someone so different from her.
11. What does Lippo tell Rose about the high temperature?
(a) It is bothering his arthritis.
(b) It is reminiscent of the weather in Italy where he grew up.
(c) It is the hottest weather he has felt in many years.
(d) It reminds him of the weather in Greece, where he grew up.
12. Why is Mrs. Maurrant tired?
(a) She has had to deal with her moody husband.
(b) She has been at work all night.
(c) She has been helping Mrs. Buchanan nearly all night.
(d) She did not sleep well.
13. What does Mr. Maurrant look like as he emerges from the building?
(a) Unsure of what has just happened.
(c) Surprised to see everyone standing there.
(d) His clothes are ripped and he is covered with blood.
14. Why does Rose ask Sam if there is a certain way she should act in a synagogue?
(a) She is curious about his faith.
(b) The funeral that she will be attending today takes place in a synagogue.
(c) She is thinking about converting to Judaism.
(d) She is going to a Jewish wedding.
15. How does Rose change the subject with Sam?
(a) By telling him that someone wants to put her on stage.
(b) By telling him she does not like him.
(c) By telling him she is going back home.
(d) By telling him she is moving to the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Maurrant have just enough strength to do?
2. Sam, disgusted, tells Rose that this man will want only one thing in return for his assistance. How does she respond?
3. What does Sam do when Rose suggests running away?
4. What does Rose try to explain to Shirley that she has not meant to do?
5. What is Sam's reply when Rose asks what happened?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)