|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sam suggest that Rose and he both do?
(a) Run away.
(b) Get married.
(c) Go on a date.
(d) End their lives together.
2. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she needs in her life?
(a) More money.
(b) A miracle.
(c) Something that brings her joy.
(d) More time to herself.
3. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter that sometimes she thinks?
(a) She wants to run away.
(b) She would like to live outside the city.
(c) She would be better off dead.
(d) She wants to get a divorce.
4. What does Mr. Maurrant look like as he emerges from the building?
(a) Unsure of what has just happened.
(b) His clothes are ripped and he is covered with blood.
(d) Surprised to see everyone standing there.
5. What forms in front of the building?
(a) A crowd.
(b) A line of police officers.
(c) A pool of blood.
(d) A bunch of tourists.
6. What does Fred tell the crowd?
(a) Two men are dead in this apartment.
(b) The shots were a false alarm.
(c) A man has shot his wife and another man.
(d) Mrs. Maurrant and another woman are dead.
7. What does Rose ask Mr. Kaplan will happen, despite the removal of capitalism?
(a) If people will still be poor.
(b) If people will still be mean to each other.
(c) If life will still be so difficult.
(d) If she will ever find happiness.
8. What is heard from Ms. Olsen?
(a) A gun shot.
(b) A scream.
(c) A laugh.
(d) A gasp.
9. About what does Shirley want to tell Rose?
(a) Her summer courses.
(b) Her brother, Sam.
(c) Her new boyfriend.
(d) Her school.
10. What is noticeable about Mr. Jones, the next morning?
(a) He is headed to work.
(b) He is in a bad mood.
(c) He is up early.
(d) He is drunk.
11. Why do James Henry, a city marshal, and his assistant, Fred Cullen, stop in front of the building?
(a) They heard there was a break-in.
(b) They are doing a routine patrol of the streets.
(c) They have a dispossess warrant for Mrs. Hildebrand.
(d) They are looking for Mr. Maurrant.
12. What does Mrs. Maurrant have just enough strength to do?
(b) Open her eyes and say Rose's name.
(c) Call out Mr. Sankey's name.
(d) Look at Rose.
13. How can the audience see some of the activities of the apartment residents?
(a) Through their windows.
(b) They are performing their activities on the stoop.
(c) Small set are pulled to the front of the stage.
(d) The set opens up.
14. What does Rose try to explain to Shirley that she has not meant to do?
(a) Trick Sam into liking her.
(b) Hurt her feelings.
(c) Lead Sam on.
(d) Distract Sam in anyway.
15. Why is Rose surprised when Shirley tells her that it will be several years before Sam is ready to care for a family?
(a) She will wait for Sam.
(b) She is just good friends with Sam.
(c) She does not like Sam.
(d) She is disappointed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is heard throughout the scene?
2. What does Mr. Kaplan believe is the cause of the troubles with the world?
3. What is Sam repeatedly trying to find out?
4. What does Mrs. Maurrant do after she motions Mr. Sankey over to the window?
5. What happens after Mrs. Maurrant is heard yelling her husband's name?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)