|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Maurrant making for Mrs. Buchanan?
(a) Some tea.
(b) A present.
(c) Some soup.
(d) A blanket.
2. What does Lippo tell Rose about the high temperature?
(a) It is reminiscent of the weather in Italy where he grew up.
(b) It is bothering his arthritis.
(c) It reminds him of the weather in Greece, where he grew up.
(d) It is the hottest weather he has felt in many years.
3. What does Rose ask Mr. Kaplan will happen, despite the removal of capitalism?
(a) If life will still be so difficult.
(b) If people will still be mean to each other.
(c) If she will ever find happiness.
(d) If people will still be poor.
4. About what does Shirley want to tell Rose?
(a) Her school.
(b) Her summer courses.
(c) Her new boyfriend.
(d) Her brother, Sam.
5. What is Sam repeatedly trying to find out?
(a) If Mr. Sankey was in the apartment.
(b) If Rose was in the apartment.
(c) Where Willie is.
(d) Whether or not Mrs. Maurrant is still alive.
6. What does Mr. Kaplan say about all the young people?
(a) They are naive.
(b) They too serious.
(c) They are so unhappy.
(d) They need to go to school.
7. How does Mrs. Maurrant respond when her daughter implies that Mr. Maurrant may be more kind, if her mother would not have a relationship with someone outside this marriage?
(a) She tells Rose that she cannot believe that she is acting like the others. She thought Rose would be the one person who would understand.
(b) She knows Rose and the neighbors are right.
(c) She agrees with Rose.
(d) She is surprised that Rose is so observant.
8. According to Shirley, what is made more difficult by the heat?
(a) The control of her classroom.
(b) Getting up and going to work.
9. What does Mary Hildebrand tell Rose and Mr. Kaplan?
(a) Her family is to be evicted from their apartment that afternoon.
(b) Her family just got back from the movies.
(c) She is going to school with her brother.
(d) Her father has not returned.
10. What does Fred tell the crowd?
(a) A man has shot his wife and another man.
(b) The shots were a false alarm.
(c) Two men are dead in this apartment.
(d) Mrs. Maurrant and another woman are dead.
11. Why do James Henry, a city marshal, and his assistant, Fred Cullen, stop in front of the building?
(a) They have a dispossess warrant for Mrs. Hildebrand.
(b) They are looking for Mr. Maurrant.
(c) They are doing a routine patrol of the streets.
(d) They heard there was a break-in.
12. Why does Rose suggest the milkman not come around as often?
(a) They do not need that much milk.
(b) He is annoying.
(c) On account of all the talk from the neighbors.
(d) His milk is often spoiled.
13. What does Sam think about God?
(a) God is unkind.
(b) God is the God of Israel and no one else.
(c) God is just a superstition.
(d) God has forgotten him.
14. How does Rose change the subject with Sam?
(a) By telling him she is going back home.
(b) By telling him she is moving to the country.
(c) By telling him she does not like him.
(d) By telling him that someone wants to put her on stage.
15. What does Fred yell at the crowd?
(a) To get help.
(b) Mr. Maurrant is about to run out of the building.
(c) To go back home.
(d) To back away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rose ask Sam if there is a certain way she should act in a synagogue?
2. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she has always tried to do?
3. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she needs in her life?
4. Who does Mr. Sankey awkwardly bump into coming out of the building?
5. What is heard throughout the scene?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)