|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do James Henry, a city marshal, and his assistant, Fred Cullen, stop in front of the building?
(a) They have a dispossess warrant for Mrs. Hildebrand.
(b) They heard there was a break-in.
(c) They are looking for Mr. Maurrant.
(d) They are doing a routine patrol of the streets.
2. What does Sam think about God?
(a) God is unkind.
(b) God is the God of Israel and no one else.
(c) God is just a superstition.
(d) God has forgotten him.
3. What does Lippo tell Rose about the high temperature?
(a) It is the hottest weather he has felt in many years.
(b) It is bothering his arthritis.
(c) It reminds him of the weather in Greece, where he grew up.
(d) It is reminiscent of the weather in Italy where he grew up.
4. Where does Mr. Easter suggest they go after the funeral?
(a) The beach.
(b) Into the city.
(c) A movie.
(d) To dinner.
5. Why is Mrs. Maurrant tired?
(a) She has been helping Mrs. Buchanan nearly all night.
(b) She did not sleep well.
(c) She has been at work all night.
(d) She has had to deal with her moody husband.
6. Who watches Rose and Mr. Easter as they walk to the funeral?
(a) Mr. Kaplan.
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) Sam and Mrs. Maurrant.
(d) Mr. Maurrant.
7. Why does Rose ask Sam if there is a certain way she should act in a synagogue?
(a) She is curious about his faith.
(b) She is thinking about converting to Judaism.
(c) The funeral that she will be attending today takes place in a synagogue.
(d) She is going to a Jewish wedding.
8. What does Rose ask Mr. Kaplan will happen, despite the removal of capitalism?
(a) If life will still be so difficult.
(b) If she will ever find happiness.
(c) If people will still be poor.
(d) If people will still be mean to each other.
9. What are the rest of the characters doing at the beginning of this scene?
(a) Beginning their day.
(b) Still sleeping.
(c) Going to bed.
(d) Coming in from work.
10. What does Mrs. Maurrant have just enough strength to do?
(b) Look at Rose.
(c) Open her eyes and say Rose's name.
(d) Call out Mr. Sankey's name.
11. What does the policeman do when he arrives?
(a) He goes down into the cellar with two men from the crowd.
(b) Looks for the marshal and Fred.
(c) Goes into the Maurrant's apartment.
(d) Calls for backup.
12. What does Fred tell the crowd?
(a) The shots were a false alarm.
(b) Mrs. Maurrant and another woman are dead.
(c) Two men are dead in this apartment.
(d) A man has shot his wife and another man.
13. Why is Rose surprised when Shirley tells her that it will be several years before Sam is ready to care for a family?
(a) She is disappointed.
(b) She will wait for Sam.
(c) She does not like Sam.
(d) She is just good friends with Sam.
14. How can the audience see some of the activities of the apartment residents?
(a) Through their windows.
(b) They are performing their activities on the stoop.
(c) Small set are pulled to the front of the stage.
(d) The set opens up.
15. What is the reaction when Miss Cushing appears at the Maurrant's window and yells for an ambulance?
(a) Everyone rushes to get an ambulance.
(b) Everyone stares at her in shock.
(c) No one pays attention to her.
(d) Someone tells her to be quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rose try to explain to Shirley that she has not meant to do?
2. Who appears in one of the windows and greets Shirley and Rose?
3. Why does Shirley tell Rose to stay away from her brother?
4. What does Fred yell at the crowd?
5. Why does Rose suggest the milkman not come around as often?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)