|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sam do when Rose suggests running away?
(a) He suggests they commit suicide instead.
(b) Sam tries to convince her to stay.
(c) Sam suggests they run away together.
(d) Sam tells her to run away alone.
2. What has Mr. Buchanan received because of his wife and new baby?
(a) The day off of work.
(b) A gift from his boss.
(c) A second job.
(d) One month of no rent.
3. What is Mrs. Maurrant making for Mrs. Buchanan?
(a) A blanket.
(b) Some soup.
(c) A present.
(d) Some tea.
4. How does Shirley hurt Rose's feelings?
(a) Shirley tells Rose she is not smart enough for Sam.
(b) Shirley tells her that Sam only sees a pretty face in Rose.
(c) Sam only likes her because there is no one else.
(d) Sam will soon forget her.
5. Why do James Henry, a city marshal, and his assistant, Fred Cullen, stop in front of the building?
(a) They have a dispossess warrant for Mrs. Hildebrand.
(b) They are doing a routine patrol of the streets.
(c) They are looking for Mr. Maurrant.
(d) They heard there was a break-in.
6. What does Mrs. Maurrant have just enough strength to do?
(a) Look at Rose.
(b) Call out Mr. Sankey's name.
(c) Open her eyes and say Rose's name.
7. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she needs in her life?
(a) Something that brings her joy.
(b) A miracle.
(c) More time to herself.
(d) More money.
8. What is Sam's reply when Rose asks what happened?
(a) He simply tells her that there was an accident and she should go away.
(b) He simply tells her that her mother is dead.
(c) He tells her that he does not know what happened.
(d) He tells her that her mother was shot.
9. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she has always tried to do?
(a) Give Mr. Maurrant everything he has wanted and be a good wife.
(b) Be happy with what she is given.
(c) Find a way to have her own freedom.
(d) Have hope.
10. What does the policeman not want anyone to do?
(a) Wait for Mr. Maurrant to return.
(b) Go into the Maurrant's apartment.
(c) Leave or enter the building.
(d) Stay outside.
11. What was done with Sam's mother's body?
(a) She was cremated.
(b) She was buried.
(c) She was buried in her native Jerusalem.
(d) She cremated, and her ashes were spread out at sea.
12. What does Mr. Maurrant look like as he emerges from the building?
(a) Surprised to see everyone standing there.
(c) Unsure of what has just happened.
(d) His clothes are ripped and he is covered with blood.
13. What does Mrs. Maurrant do after she motions Mr. Sankey over to the window?
(a) She gives him a kiss.
(b) She runs back into her apartment.
(c) Invites him upstairs.
(d) She tells him to go home to his wife.
14. Sam, disgusted, tells Rose that this man will want only one thing in return for his assistance. How does she respond?
(a) What he says is not true.
(b) No one gets anything for free, and perhaps it would be worth it to get out of her current situation.
(c) That is what she is hoping.
(d) If that is true, then she will not go along with this man's plan.
15. Why does Shirley tell Rose to stay away from her brother?
(a) If Rose is not in love with Sam, she should leave him alone.
(b) Her brother is too busy to be having a girlfriend.
(c) It is not good to get involved with someone so different from her.
(d) Rose is not good enough for her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lippo tell Rose about the high temperature?
2. What does Mr. Kaplan say about all the young people?
3. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in a paper bag?
4. What is heard from Ms. Olsen?
5. What is the reaction when Miss Cushing appears at the Maurrant's window and yells for an ambulance?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)