|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sam's reply when Rose asks what happened?
(a) He simply tells her that her mother is dead.
(b) He simply tells her that there was an accident and she should go away.
(c) He tells her that her mother was shot.
(d) He tells her that he does not know what happened.
2. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she has always tried to do?
(a) Find a way to have her own freedom.
(b) Give Mr. Maurrant everything he has wanted and be a good wife.
(c) Be happy with what she is given.
(d) Have hope.
3. Why do James Henry, a city marshal, and his assistant, Fred Cullen, stop in front of the building?
(a) They are looking for Mr. Maurrant.
(b) They have a dispossess warrant for Mrs. Hildebrand.
(c) They heard there was a break-in.
(d) They are doing a routine patrol of the streets.
4. What does the policeman not want anyone to do?
(a) Wait for Mr. Maurrant to return.
(b) Leave or enter the building.
(c) Stay outside.
(d) Go into the Maurrant's apartment.
5. According to Shirley, what is made more difficult by the heat?
(a) The control of her classroom.
(b) Getting up and going to work.
6. What does Fred tell the crowd?
(a) A man has shot his wife and another man.
(b) The shots were a false alarm.
(c) Two men are dead in this apartment.
(d) Mrs. Maurrant and another woman are dead.
7. Why is Shirley angered at Rose's comment?
(a) She does not believe Rose.
(b) She does not trust Rose.
(c) She misinterprets it as Sam and Rose both feeling sorry for her.
(d) She thinks Rose is trying to embarrass her.
8. Who watches Rose and Mr. Easter as they walk to the funeral?
(a) Mr. Maurrant.
(b) Mr. Kaplan.
(c) Mr. Jones.
(d) Sam and Mrs. Maurrant.
9. What does Sam do when Rose suggests running away?
(a) He suggests they commit suicide instead.
(b) Sam tries to convince her to stay.
(c) Sam suggests they run away together.
(d) Sam tells her to run away alone.
10. What does Mr. Maurrant look like as he emerges from the building?
(a) Unsure of what has just happened.
(c) Surprised to see everyone standing there.
(d) His clothes are ripped and he is covered with blood.
11. What forms in front of the building?
(a) A pool of blood.
(b) A line of police officers.
(c) A bunch of tourists.
(d) A crowd.
12. Why does Rose ask Sam if there is a certain way she should act in a synagogue?
(a) She is going to a Jewish wedding.
(b) The funeral that she will be attending today takes place in a synagogue.
(c) She is thinking about converting to Judaism.
(d) She is curious about his faith.
13. What does Rose ask Mr. Kaplan will happen, despite the removal of capitalism?
(a) If life will still be so difficult.
(b) If she will ever find happiness.
(c) If people will still be poor.
(d) If people will still be mean to each other.
14. How does Shirley hurt Rose's feelings?
(a) Sam only likes her because there is no one else.
(b) Shirley tells her that Sam only sees a pretty face in Rose.
(c) Shirley tells Rose she is not smart enough for Sam.
(d) Sam will soon forget her.
15. What is the reaction when Miss Cushing appears at the Maurrant's window and yells for an ambulance?
(a) No one pays attention to her.
(b) Everyone stares at her in shock.
(c) Everyone rushes to get an ambulance.
(d) Someone tells her to be quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter that sometimes she thinks?
2. What is heard from Ms. Olsen?
3. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in a paper bag?
4. What does Sam urge Mrs. Jones to do?
5. What does Mary Hildebrand tell Rose and Mr. Kaplan?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)