|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sam, disgusted, tells Rose that this man will want only one thing in return for his assistance. How does she respond?
(a) What he says is not true.
(b) If that is true, then she will not go along with this man's plan.
(c) No one gets anything for free, and perhaps it would be worth it to get out of her current situation.
(d) That is what she is hoping.
2. Why is Rose surprised when Shirley tells her that it will be several years before Sam is ready to care for a family?
(a) She will wait for Sam.
(b) She is just good friends with Sam.
(c) She is disappointed.
(d) She does not like Sam.
3. About what does Shirley want to tell Rose?
(a) Her school.
(b) Her summer courses.
(c) Her new boyfriend.
(d) Her brother, Sam.
4. What does Mr. Kaplan say about all the young people?
(a) They are naive.
(b) They need to go to school.
(c) They are so unhappy.
(d) They too serious.
5. What does Mr. Maurrant look like as he emerges from the building?
(b) Surprised to see everyone standing there.
(c) Unsure of what has just happened.
(d) His clothes are ripped and he is covered with blood.
6. From where has Mr. Buchanan just got back?
(a) Getting medicine for his wife.
(c) The grocery store.
(d) Visiting his mother.
7. How does Rose change the subject with Sam?
(a) By telling him she is moving to the country.
(b) By telling him that someone wants to put her on stage.
(c) By telling him she is going back home.
(d) By telling him she does not like him.
8. Who watches Rose and Mr. Easter as they walk to the funeral?
(a) Mr. Kaplan.
(b) Sam and Mrs. Maurrant.
(c) Mr. Jones.
(d) Mr. Maurrant.
9. Why is Shirley angered at Rose's comment?
(a) She thinks Rose is trying to embarrass her.
(b) She does not trust Rose.
(c) She does not believe Rose.
(d) She misinterprets it as Sam and Rose both feeling sorry for her.
10. Who does Mr. Sankey awkwardly bump into coming out of the building?
(a) Mrs. Jones.
(b) Mr. Buchanan.
11. How can the audience see some of the activities of the apartment residents?
(a) Through their windows.
(b) The set opens up.
(c) They are performing their activities on the stoop.
(d) Small set are pulled to the front of the stage.
12. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in a paper bag?
(a) A bottle of wine.
(b) Candy for her children.
(c) The chicken.
(d) A present for Mrs. Buchanan.
13. What does the policeman do when he arrives?
(a) Goes into the Maurrant's apartment.
(b) Looks for the marshal and Fred.
(c) Calls for backup.
(d) He goes down into the cellar with two men from the crowd.
14. What has Mr. Buchanan received because of his wife and new baby?
(a) A second job.
(b) A gift from his boss.
(c) One month of no rent.
(d) The day off of work.
15. According to Shirley, what is made more difficult by the heat?
(a) The control of her classroom.
(c) Getting up and going to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Hildebrand tell Rose and Mr. Kaplan?
2. Why do James Henry, a city marshal, and his assistant, Fred Cullen, stop in front of the building?
3. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter that sometimes she thinks?
4. What was done with Sam's mother's body?
5. What is heard throughout the scene?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)