|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reaction when Miss Cushing appears at the Maurrant's window and yells for an ambulance?
(a) No one pays attention to her.
(b) Everyone rushes to get an ambulance.
(c) Someone tells her to be quiet.
(d) Everyone stares at her in shock.
2. How does Shirley hurt Rose's feelings?
(a) Sam will soon forget her.
(b) Sam only likes her because there is no one else.
(c) Shirley tells Rose she is not smart enough for Sam.
(d) Shirley tells her that Sam only sees a pretty face in Rose.
3. What does Sam suggest that Rose and he both do?
(a) Run away.
(b) Get married.
(c) End their lives together.
(d) Go on a date.
4. What does Fred find when he arrives?
(a) Two dead men.
(b) A dead woman.
(c) Two dead women.
(d) A dead man.
5. What does Mrs. Maurrant have just enough strength to do?
(a) Look at Rose.
(b) Open her eyes and say Rose's name.
(d) Call out Mr. Sankey's name.
6. Why does Shirley tell Rose to stay away from her brother?
(a) If Rose is not in love with Sam, she should leave him alone.
(b) Rose is not good enough for her brother.
(c) It is not good to get involved with someone so different from her.
(d) Her brother is too busy to be having a girlfriend.
7. Why is Shirley angered at Rose's comment?
(a) She misinterprets it as Sam and Rose both feeling sorry for her.
(b) She thinks Rose is trying to embarrass her.
(c) She does not trust Rose.
(d) She does not believe Rose.
8. What is noticeable about Mr. Jones, the next morning?
(a) He is in a bad mood.
(b) He is headed to work.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He is up early.
9. What is Mrs. Maurrant making for Mrs. Buchanan?
(a) Some soup.
(b) Some tea.
(c) A present.
(d) A blanket.
10. What does Mr. Kaplan say about all the young people?
(a) They too serious.
(b) They are naive.
(c) They are so unhappy.
(d) They need to go to school.
11. What is Sam's reply when Rose asks what happened?
(a) He tells her that he does not know what happened.
(b) He simply tells her that there was an accident and she should go away.
(c) He tells her that her mother was shot.
(d) He simply tells her that her mother is dead.
12. What does the policeman do when he arrives?
(a) Looks for the marshal and Fred.
(b) He goes down into the cellar with two men from the crowd.
(c) Goes into the Maurrant's apartment.
(d) Calls for backup.
13. What does Fred yell at the crowd?
(a) Mr. Maurrant is about to run out of the building.
(b) To back away.
(c) To get help.
(d) To go back home.
14. Why does Rose suggest the milkman not come around as often?
(a) He is annoying.
(b) His milk is often spoiled.
(c) On account of all the talk from the neighbors.
(d) They do not need that much milk.
15. How does Mrs. Maurrant respond when Rose tells her that she tried to bring up the subject of them moving out of the city but Mr. Maurrant would not listen?
(a) She decides she will talk to him.
(b) She knew he would not.
(c) She is surprised he did not listen.
(d) She is angry with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lippo tell Rose about the high temperature?
2. From where has Mr. Buchanan just got back?
3. According to Shirley, what is made more difficult by the heat?
4. What does Sam think about God?
5. What does Rose try to explain to Shirley that she has not meant to do?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)