|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rose try to explain to Shirley that she has not meant to do?
(a) Lead Sam on.
(b) Trick Sam into liking her.
(c) Hurt her feelings.
(d) Distract Sam in anyway.
2. Why does Rose ask Sam if there is a certain way she should act in a synagogue?
(a) She is curious about his faith.
(b) She is thinking about converting to Judaism.
(c) The funeral that she will be attending today takes place in a synagogue.
(d) She is going to a Jewish wedding.
3. What does Mary Hildebrand tell Rose and Mr. Kaplan?
(a) Her father has not returned.
(b) She is going to school with her brother.
(c) Her family is to be evicted from their apartment that afternoon.
(d) Her family just got back from the movies.
4. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter that sometimes she thinks?
(a) She would like to live outside the city.
(b) She would be better off dead.
(c) She wants to run away.
(d) She wants to get a divorce.
5. What does Lippo tell Rose about the high temperature?
(a) It is the hottest weather he has felt in many years.
(b) It is bothering his arthritis.
(c) It is reminiscent of the weather in Italy where he grew up.
(d) It reminds him of the weather in Greece, where he grew up.
6. What does the policeman not want anyone to do?
(a) Stay outside.
(b) Go into the Maurrant's apartment.
(c) Wait for Mr. Maurrant to return.
(d) Leave or enter the building.
7. Why is Rose surprised when Shirley tells her that it will be several years before Sam is ready to care for a family?
(a) She is just good friends with Sam.
(b) She is disappointed.
(c) She does not like Sam.
(d) She will wait for Sam.
8. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she has always tried to do?
(a) Give Mr. Maurrant everything he has wanted and be a good wife.
(b) Find a way to have her own freedom.
(c) Have hope.
(d) Be happy with what she is given.
9. What does Sam do when Rose suggests running away?
(a) Sam tries to convince her to stay.
(b) Sam suggests they run away together.
(c) Sam tells her to run away alone.
(d) He suggests they commit suicide instead.
10. What is the reaction when Miss Cushing appears at the Maurrant's window and yells for an ambulance?
(a) Everyone stares at her in shock.
(b) Everyone rushes to get an ambulance.
(c) Someone tells her to be quiet.
(d) No one pays attention to her.
11. What are the rest of the characters doing at the beginning of this scene?
(a) Going to bed.
(b) Still sleeping.
(c) Coming in from work.
(d) Beginning their day.
12. Why is Mrs. Maurrant tired?
(a) She has been helping Mrs. Buchanan nearly all night.
(b) She did not sleep well.
(c) She has had to deal with her moody husband.
(d) She has been at work all night.
13. What does Rose ask Mr. Kaplan will happen, despite the removal of capitalism?
(a) If life will still be so difficult.
(b) If she will ever find happiness.
(c) If people will still be mean to each other.
(d) If people will still be poor.
14. What is Mrs. Maurrant making for Mrs. Buchanan?
(a) Some soup.
(b) A present.
(c) Some tea.
(d) A blanket.
15. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in a paper bag?
(a) A present for Mrs. Buchanan.
(b) Candy for her children.
(c) A bottle of wine.
(d) The chicken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fred find when he arrives?
2. What happens after another shot is heard?
3. Where does Mr. Easter suggest they go after the funeral?
4. From where has Mr. Buchanan just got back?
5. How can the audience see some of the activities of the apartment residents?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)