|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter that sometimes she thinks?
(a) She would like to live outside the city.
(b) She wants to get a divorce.
(c) She would be better off dead.
(d) She wants to run away.
2. How can the audience see some of the activities of the apartment residents?
(a) The set opens up.
(b) Through their windows.
(c) They are performing their activities on the stoop.
(d) Small set are pulled to the front of the stage.
3. Why does Rose ask Sam if there is a certain way she should act in a synagogue?
(a) She is curious about his faith.
(b) She is going to a Jewish wedding.
(c) She is thinking about converting to Judaism.
(d) The funeral that she will be attending today takes place in a synagogue.
4. What does Mr. Kaplan say about all the young people?
(a) They are naive.
(b) They too serious.
(c) They are so unhappy.
(d) They need to go to school.
5. What was done with Sam's mother's body?
(a) She was buried.
(b) She cremated, and her ashes were spread out at sea.
(c) She was cremated.
(d) She was buried in her native Jerusalem.
6. What is the reaction when Miss Cushing appears at the Maurrant's window and yells for an ambulance?
(a) No one pays attention to her.
(b) Everyone rushes to get an ambulance.
(c) Everyone stares at her in shock.
(d) Someone tells her to be quiet.
7. What does Rose ask Mr. Kaplan will happen, despite the removal of capitalism?
(a) If people will still be poor.
(b) If life will still be so difficult.
(c) If she will ever find happiness.
(d) If people will still be mean to each other.
8. Who does Mr. Sankey awkwardly bump into coming out of the building?
(b) Mrs. Jones.
(d) Mr. Buchanan.
9. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she has always tried to do?
(a) Have hope.
(b) Give Mr. Maurrant everything he has wanted and be a good wife.
(c) Find a way to have her own freedom.
(d) Be happy with what she is given.
10. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in a paper bag?
(a) Candy for her children.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) A present for Mrs. Buchanan.
(d) The chicken.
11. What does Fred find when he arrives?
(a) A dead woman.
(b) A dead man.
(c) Two dead women.
(d) Two dead men.
12. Why does Shirley tell Rose to stay away from her brother?
(a) Rose is not good enough for her brother.
(b) It is not good to get involved with someone so different from her.
(c) Her brother is too busy to be having a girlfriend.
(d) If Rose is not in love with Sam, she should leave him alone.
13. According to Shirley, what is made more difficult by the heat?
(a) Getting up and going to work.
(c) The control of her classroom.
14. What is heard throughout the scene?
(a) Factory noises.
(b) Birds chirping.
(c) Traffic noise.
(d) The piano being played by one of Lippo's students.
15. What happens after another shot is heard?
(a) The marshal yells for someone to get an ambulance.
(b) Mrs. Maurrant jumps out the window.
(c) Mr. Maurrant runs out of the building.
(d) The neighbors rush into the apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can the Hildebrands not pay the rent?
2. Why is Shirley angered at Rose's comment?
3. What does Fred yell at the crowd?
4. Why is Rose surprised when Shirley tells her that it will be several years before Sam is ready to care for a family?
5. How does Rose change the subject with Sam?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)