|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was done with Sam's mother's body?
(a) She cremated, and her ashes were spread out at sea.
(b) She was cremated.
(c) She was buried in her native Jerusalem.
(d) She was buried.
2. What are the rest of the characters doing at the beginning of this scene?
(a) Coming in from work.
(b) Beginning their day.
(c) Still sleeping.
(d) Going to bed.
3. What happens after Mrs. Maurrant is heard yelling her husband's name?
(a) Mr. Sankey tries to jump out the window.
(b) Mr. Maurrant yells at Mr. Sankey.
(c) Two gunshots are heard.
(d) The window glass breaks.
4. What happens after another shot is heard?
(a) The marshal yells for someone to get an ambulance.
(b) The neighbors rush into the apartment.
(c) Mr. Maurrant runs out of the building.
(d) Mrs. Maurrant jumps out the window.
5. Where does Mr. Easter suggest they go after the funeral?
(a) A movie.
(b) To dinner.
(c) The beach.
(d) Into the city.
6. Who appears in one of the windows and greets Shirley and Rose?
(c) Mrs. Jones.
7. What does Mrs. Maurrant have just enough strength to do?
(a) Look at Rose.
(b) Open her eyes and say Rose's name.
(c) Call out Mr. Sankey's name.
8. How does Mrs. Maurrant respond when Rose tells her that she tried to bring up the subject of them moving out of the city but Mr. Maurrant would not listen?
(a) She is surprised he did not listen.
(b) She is angry with him.
(c) She knew he would not.
(d) She decides she will talk to him.
9. How does Shirley hurt Rose's feelings?
(a) Shirley tells her that Sam only sees a pretty face in Rose.
(b) Sam will soon forget her.
(c) Shirley tells Rose she is not smart enough for Sam.
(d) Sam only likes her because there is no one else.
10. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter that sometimes she thinks?
(a) She wants to run away.
(b) She would like to live outside the city.
(c) She wants to get a divorce.
(d) She would be better off dead.
11. What does the policeman not want anyone to do?
(a) Leave or enter the building.
(b) Go into the Maurrant's apartment.
(c) Stay outside.
(d) Wait for Mr. Maurrant to return.
12. What does Fred yell at the crowd?
(a) To go back home.
(b) Mr. Maurrant is about to run out of the building.
(c) To get help.
(d) To back away.
13. According to Shirley, what is made more difficult by the heat?
(a) The control of her classroom.
(d) Getting up and going to work.
14. How does Mrs. Maurrant respond when her daughter implies that Mr. Maurrant may be more kind, if her mother would not have a relationship with someone outside this marriage?
(a) She agrees with Rose.
(b) She knows Rose and the neighbors are right.
(c) She tells Rose that she cannot believe that she is acting like the others. She thought Rose would be the one person who would understand.
(d) She is surprised that Rose is so observant.
15. What happens when Sam tries to stop Mr. Maurrant?
(a) Sam trips.
(b) He pushes Sam aside.
(c) He dodges Sam.
(d) He yells at Sam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sam's reply when Rose asks what happened?
2. What is the reaction when Miss Cushing appears at the Maurrant's window and yells for an ambulance?
3. Why is Rose surprised when Shirley tells her that it will be several years before Sam is ready to care for a family?
4. What is heard from Ms. Olsen?
5. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in a paper bag?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)