|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mr. Easter suggest they go after the funeral?
(a) Into the city.
(b) To dinner.
(c) The beach.
(d) A movie.
2. From where has Mr. Buchanan just got back?
(a) Getting medicine for his wife.
(b) The grocery store.
(d) Visiting his mother.
3. What does Mr. Maurrant look like as he emerges from the building?
(b) Unsure of what has just happened.
(c) Surprised to see everyone standing there.
(d) His clothes are ripped and he is covered with blood.
4. Why does Rose suggest the milkman not come around as often?
(a) They do not need that much milk.
(b) He is annoying.
(c) On account of all the talk from the neighbors.
(d) His milk is often spoiled.
5. What are the rest of the characters doing at the beginning of this scene?
(a) Still sleeping.
(b) Going to bed.
(c) Coming in from work.
(d) Beginning their day.
6. What does Sam suggest that Rose and he both do?
(a) Run away.
(b) Go on a date.
(c) Get married.
(d) End their lives together.
7. What does Sam urge Mrs. Jones to do?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Stop Mr. Maurrant.
(c) Go and warn Mrs. Maurrant.
(d) Leave the building.
8. How does Mrs. Maurrant respond when Rose tells her that she tried to bring up the subject of them moving out of the city but Mr. Maurrant would not listen?
(a) She decides she will talk to him.
(b) She is surprised he did not listen.
(c) She is angry with him.
(d) She knew he would not.
9. Why does Rose ask Sam if there is a certain way she should act in a synagogue?
(a) She is going to a Jewish wedding.
(b) She is curious about his faith.
(c) She is thinking about converting to Judaism.
(d) The funeral that she will be attending today takes place in a synagogue.
10. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she has always tried to do?
(a) Have hope.
(b) Give Mr. Maurrant everything he has wanted and be a good wife.
(c) Find a way to have her own freedom.
(d) Be happy with what she is given.
11. About what does Shirley want to tell Rose?
(a) Her school.
(b) Her new boyfriend.
(c) Her brother, Sam.
(d) Her summer courses.
12. Why do James Henry, a city marshal, and his assistant, Fred Cullen, stop in front of the building?
(a) They heard there was a break-in.
(b) They are looking for Mr. Maurrant.
(c) They have a dispossess warrant for Mrs. Hildebrand.
(d) They are doing a routine patrol of the streets.
13. What is noticeable about Mr. Jones, the next morning?
(a) He is up early.
(b) He is headed to work.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He is in a bad mood.
14. What was done with Sam's mother's body?
(a) She cremated, and her ashes were spread out at sea.
(b) She was buried in her native Jerusalem.
(c) She was buried.
(d) She was cremated.
15. What does Mrs. Maurrant do after she motions Mr. Sankey over to the window?
(a) She gives him a kiss.
(b) She tells him to go home to his wife.
(c) She runs back into her apartment.
(d) Invites him upstairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sam think about God?
2. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter that sometimes she thinks?
3. What does Fred find when he arrives?
4. What happens after Mrs. Maurrant is heard yelling her husband's name?
5. Why can the Hildebrands not pay the rent?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)