|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is heard throughout the scene?
(a) The piano being played by one of Lippo's students.
(b) Traffic noise.
(c) Factory noises.
(d) Birds chirping.
2. What does the policeman do when he arrives?
(a) He goes down into the cellar with two men from the crowd.
(b) Goes into the Maurrant's apartment.
(c) Calls for backup.
(d) Looks for the marshal and Fred.
3. What does Mr. Maurrant look like as he emerges from the building?
(b) Unsure of what has just happened.
(c) Surprised to see everyone standing there.
(d) His clothes are ripped and he is covered with blood.
4. What does Mary Hildebrand tell Rose and Mr. Kaplan?
(a) Her family is to be evicted from their apartment that afternoon.
(b) She is going to school with her brother.
(c) Her father has not returned.
(d) Her family just got back from the movies.
5. What does Mrs. Maurrant do after she motions Mr. Sankey over to the window?
(a) Invites him upstairs.
(b) She tells him to go home to his wife.
(c) She gives him a kiss.
(d) She runs back into her apartment.
6. From where has Mr. Buchanan just got back?
(a) Visiting his mother.
(b) Getting medicine for his wife.
(c) The grocery store.
7. What is Sam's reply when Rose asks what happened?
(a) He simply tells her that her mother is dead.
(b) He tells her that her mother was shot.
(c) He simply tells her that there was an accident and she should go away.
(d) He tells her that he does not know what happened.
8. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter that sometimes she thinks?
(a) She would like to live outside the city.
(b) She wants to get a divorce.
(c) She wants to run away.
(d) She would be better off dead.
9. What does Lippo tell Rose about the high temperature?
(a) It is reminiscent of the weather in Italy where he grew up.
(b) It reminds him of the weather in Greece, where he grew up.
(c) It is the hottest weather he has felt in many years.
(d) It is bothering his arthritis.
10. Why is Mrs. Maurrant tired?
(a) She has been helping Mrs. Buchanan nearly all night.
(b) She has been at work all night.
(c) She did not sleep well.
(d) She has had to deal with her moody husband.
11. What is known about Mrs. Maurrant when the doctor arrives?
(a) She is dead.
(b) She has minor injuries.
(c) She was not shot.
(d) She is still breathing.
12. What does Mr. Kaplan say about all the young people?
(a) They too serious.
(b) They need to go to school.
(c) They are naive.
(d) They are so unhappy.
13. What does Mr. Maurrant do as he leaves for work?
(a) He storms out of the building without talking to anyone.
(b) He harasses his wife and accuses her of letting other men visit her.
(c) He greets everyone in the apartment.
(d) He instructs his wife in her duties for the day.
14. How does Shirley hurt Rose's feelings?
(a) Sam only likes her because there is no one else.
(b) Shirley tells her that Sam only sees a pretty face in Rose.
(c) Shirley tells Rose she is not smart enough for Sam.
(d) Sam will soon forget her.
15. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in a paper bag?
(a) The chicken.
(b) A present for Mrs. Buchanan.
(c) A bottle of wine.
(d) Candy for her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Maurrant respond when Rose tells her that she tried to bring up the subject of them moving out of the city but Mr. Maurrant would not listen?
2. What does the policeman not want anyone to do?
3. What does Mr. Kaplan believe is the cause of the troubles with the world?
4. Sam, disgusted, tells Rose that this man will want only one thing in return for his assistance. How does she respond?
5. What are the rest of the characters doing at the beginning of this scene?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)