|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sam's reply when Rose asks what happened?
(a) He simply tells her that her mother is dead.
(b) He tells her that he does not know what happened.
(c) He simply tells her that there was an accident and she should go away.
(d) He tells her that her mother was shot.
2. What happens when Sam tries to stop Mr. Maurrant?
(a) He dodges Sam.
(b) Sam trips.
(c) He yells at Sam.
(d) He pushes Sam aside.
3. How does Mrs. Maurrant respond when her daughter implies that Mr. Maurrant may be more kind, if her mother would not have a relationship with someone outside this marriage?
(a) She tells Rose that she cannot believe that she is acting like the others. She thought Rose would be the one person who would understand.
(b) She knows Rose and the neighbors are right.
(c) She is surprised that Rose is so observant.
(d) She agrees with Rose.
4. According to Shirley, what is made more difficult by the heat?
(a) The control of her classroom.
(d) Getting up and going to work.
5. Who does Mr. Sankey awkwardly bump into coming out of the building?
(b) Mrs. Jones.
(d) Mr. Buchanan.
6. Why is Rose surprised when Shirley tells her that it will be several years before Sam is ready to care for a family?
(a) She is just good friends with Sam.
(b) She will wait for Sam.
(c) She is disappointed.
(d) She does not like Sam.
7. How does Rose change the subject with Sam?
(a) By telling him she is going back home.
(b) By telling him she is moving to the country.
(c) By telling him that someone wants to put her on stage.
(d) By telling him she does not like him.
8. What was done with Sam's mother's body?
(a) She was cremated.
(b) She cremated, and her ashes were spread out at sea.
(c) She was buried in her native Jerusalem.
(d) She was buried.
9. From where has Mr. Buchanan just got back?
(a) Visiting his mother.
(b) Getting medicine for his wife.
(c) The grocery store.
10. How can the audience see some of the activities of the apartment residents?
(a) They are performing their activities on the stoop.
(b) Through their windows.
(c) The set opens up.
(d) Small set are pulled to the front of the stage.
11. What does Sam urge Mrs. Jones to do?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Leave the building.
(c) Go and warn Mrs. Maurrant.
(d) Stop Mr. Maurrant.
12. Why do James Henry, a city marshal, and his assistant, Fred Cullen, stop in front of the building?
(a) They are looking for Mr. Maurrant.
(b) They have a dispossess warrant for Mrs. Hildebrand.
(c) They heard there was a break-in.
(d) They are doing a routine patrol of the streets.
13. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she has always tried to do?
(a) Give Mr. Maurrant everything he has wanted and be a good wife.
(b) Find a way to have her own freedom.
(c) Have hope.
(d) Be happy with what she is given.
14. Why can the Hildebrands not pay the rent?
(a) The rent has increased.
(b) Mrs. Hildebrand lost her job.
(c) Their father left.
(d) Mrs. Hildebrand has left.
15. What does Mrs. Maurrant do after she motions Mr. Sankey over to the window?
(a) She tells him to go home to his wife.
(b) She gives him a kiss.
(c) Invites him upstairs.
(d) She runs back into her apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Maurrant stop telling Sam why he is not going to Stanford for work?
2. What does Sam do when Rose suggests running away?
3. What is known about Mrs. Maurrant when the doctor arrives?
4. What does Rose try to explain to Shirley that she has not meant to do?
5. What does Fred tell the crowd?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)