|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lippo tell Rose about the high temperature?
(a) It is bothering his arthritis.
(b) It reminds him of the weather in Greece, where he grew up.
(c) It is the hottest weather he has felt in many years.
(d) It is reminiscent of the weather in Italy where he grew up.
2. From where has Mr. Buchanan just got back?
(b) Visiting his mother.
(c) The grocery store.
(d) Getting medicine for his wife.
3. How does Shirley hurt Rose's feelings?
(a) Shirley tells her that Sam only sees a pretty face in Rose.
(b) Sam only likes her because there is no one else.
(c) Sam will soon forget her.
(d) Shirley tells Rose she is not smart enough for Sam.
4. What does Rose try to explain to Shirley that she has not meant to do?
(a) Trick Sam into liking her.
(b) Hurt her feelings.
(c) Lead Sam on.
(d) Distract Sam in anyway.
5. What forms in front of the building?
(a) A bunch of tourists.
(b) A pool of blood.
(c) A line of police officers.
(d) A crowd.
6. Why is Shirley angered at Rose's comment?
(a) She does not trust Rose.
(b) She misinterprets it as Sam and Rose both feeling sorry for her.
(c) She thinks Rose is trying to embarrass her.
(d) She does not believe Rose.
7. Why does Rose suggest the milkman not come around as often?
(a) They do not need that much milk.
(b) His milk is often spoiled.
(c) On account of all the talk from the neighbors.
(d) He is annoying.
8. Why does Rose ask Sam if there is a certain way she should act in a synagogue?
(a) She is curious about his faith.
(b) The funeral that she will be attending today takes place in a synagogue.
(c) She is thinking about converting to Judaism.
(d) She is going to a Jewish wedding.
9. How does Rose change the subject with Sam?
(a) By telling him she does not like him.
(b) By telling him that someone wants to put her on stage.
(c) By telling him she is moving to the country.
(d) By telling him she is going back home.
10. What happens after another shot is heard?
(a) The marshal yells for someone to get an ambulance.
(b) The neighbors rush into the apartment.
(c) Mrs. Maurrant jumps out the window.
(d) Mr. Maurrant runs out of the building.
11. Why do James Henry, a city marshal, and his assistant, Fred Cullen, stop in front of the building?
(a) They are looking for Mr. Maurrant.
(b) They are doing a routine patrol of the streets.
(c) They heard there was a break-in.
(d) They have a dispossess warrant for Mrs. Hildebrand.
12. What is heard from Ms. Olsen?
(a) A laugh.
(b) A gun shot.
(c) A gasp.
(d) A scream.
13. What does Sam urge Mrs. Jones to do?
(a) Leave the building.
(b) Stop Mr. Maurrant.
(c) Call the police.
(d) Go and warn Mrs. Maurrant.
14. What does Sam suggest that Rose and he both do?
(a) Go on a date.
(b) Run away.
(c) Get married.
(d) End their lives together.
15. What is the reaction when Miss Cushing appears at the Maurrant's window and yells for an ambulance?
(a) Someone tells her to be quiet.
(b) No one pays attention to her.
(c) Everyone rushes to get an ambulance.
(d) Everyone stares at her in shock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears in one of the windows and greets Shirley and Rose?
2. What was done with Sam's mother's body?
3. What does the policeman do when he arrives?
4. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in a paper bag?
5. How does Mrs. Maurrant respond when Rose tells her that she tried to bring up the subject of them moving out of the city but Mr. Maurrant would not listen?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)