|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Shirley hurt Rose's feelings?
(a) Sam will soon forget her.
(b) Shirley tells her that Sam only sees a pretty face in Rose.
(c) Sam only likes her because there is no one else.
(d) Shirley tells Rose she is not smart enough for Sam.
2. Why does Rose suggest the milkman not come around as often?
(a) He is annoying.
(b) His milk is often spoiled.
(c) On account of all the talk from the neighbors.
(d) They do not need that much milk.
3. What does Mrs. Maurrant have in a paper bag?
(a) A present for Mrs. Buchanan.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) Candy for her children.
(d) The chicken.
4. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she has always tried to do?
(a) Find a way to have her own freedom.
(b) Have hope.
(c) Be happy with what she is given.
(d) Give Mr. Maurrant everything he has wanted and be a good wife.
5. What does Fred find when he arrives?
(a) Two dead men.
(b) A dead man.
(c) A dead woman.
(d) Two dead women.
6. What does Mr. Maurrant look like as he emerges from the building?
(a) Unsure of what has just happened.
(b) Surprised to see everyone standing there.
(c) His clothes are ripped and he is covered with blood.
7. Why does Shirley tell Rose to stay away from her brother?
(a) If Rose is not in love with Sam, she should leave him alone.
(b) Rose is not good enough for her brother.
(c) It is not good to get involved with someone so different from her.
(d) Her brother is too busy to be having a girlfriend.
8. What does Mr. Kaplan say about all the young people?
(a) They need to go to school.
(b) They are so unhappy.
(c) They too serious.
(d) They are naive.
9. What forms in front of the building?
(a) A line of police officers.
(b) A bunch of tourists.
(c) A pool of blood.
(d) A crowd.
10. What does the policeman not want anyone to do?
(a) Go into the Maurrant's apartment.
(b) Leave or enter the building.
(c) Stay outside.
(d) Wait for Mr. Maurrant to return.
11. Who appears in one of the windows and greets Shirley and Rose?
(c) Mrs. Jones.
12. From where has Mr. Buchanan just got back?
(a) Getting medicine for his wife.
(b) Visiting his mother.
(d) The grocery store.
13. Why can the Hildebrands not pay the rent?
(a) Mrs. Hildebrand has left.
(b) The rent has increased.
(c) Their father left.
(d) Mrs. Hildebrand lost her job.
14. Why does Mr. Maurrant stop telling Sam why he is not going to Stanford for work?
(a) He sees Rose walking down the street.
(b) When he realizes that the shades are drawn to his apartment.
(c) He sees his wife and Mr. Sankey walking down the street.
(d) He loses his train of thought.
15. What is known about Mrs. Maurrant when the doctor arrives?
(a) She is still breathing.
(b) She was not shot.
(c) She is dead.
(d) She has minor injuries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Maurrant making for Mrs. Buchanan?
2. What does Rose ask Mr. Kaplan will happen, despite the removal of capitalism?
3. What does Mrs. Maurrant tell her daughter she needs in her life?
4. What does Sam do when Rose suggests running away?
5. What does Sam urge Mrs. Jones to do?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)