|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the women do, after Mr. Sankey's arrival?
(a) They go back to their previous activities.
(b) They disparage Mrs. Maurrant's character, one of them calling her a whore.
(c) They discuss the quality of the milk he sells.
(d) They wonder why Mr. Sankey is at the apartment.
2. How does Mr. Buchanan seem?
3. Where would Mrs. Maurrant like to go that evening, but her daughter has not come home yet?
(a) To the concert in the park .
(b) To a Broadway show.
(c) Out to dinner.
(d) To the movies.
4. What do the women wonder about Mr. Maurrant?
(a) If he is suspicious of his wife's relationship with the milkman.
(b) If he enjoys his job.
(c) If he really loves his wife and children.
(d) Why he is so grumpy all the time.
5. What does Sam do at Rose's request?
(a) He recites a poem.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He sings to her.
(d) He goes to his apartment.
6. How do the ladies brush off Mr. Maurrant' mood?
(a) That is just the way he is.
(b) Mrs. Maurrant does not do her job.
(c) All men just want to get their way.
(d) He has a stressful job.
7. What do the neighbors do when Ms. Simpson argues with Mrs. Hildebrand?
(a) They go to their respective homes.
(b) They sit quietly and watch.
(c) They agree with Ms. Simpson.
(d) They stand up for Mrs. Hildebrand.
8. Why does Shirley Kaplan ask her father to turn his reading lamp off?
(a) The light is bothering her.
(b) He is wasting electricity.
(c) The room is bright enough without it.
(d) It was increasing the temperature in their apartment.
9. Who does Alice Simpson represent?
(a) A bank.
(b) A charity.
(c) Child and family services.
(d) The government.
10. What is Sam doing when he and Rose are left alone?
(a) He sits on the stoop sobbing and calls himself a coward.
(b) He is pacing the sidewalk.
(c) He is hugging Rose.
(d) He is sitting silently on the curb.
11. What does Mr. Maurrant tell the group he is going to do to his kids?
(a) Give them up for adoption.
(b) Punish them.
(c) Throw them out.
(d) Treat them to a movie.
12. What does Ms. Simpson do before leaving?
(a) She makes Mrs. Hildebrand assign an agreement.
(b) She yells at the neighbors on the stoop.
(c) She makes an offensive comment about Jews to Kaplan.
(d) She glares at all of the tenants.
13. What does Emma Jones call Greta?
(a) Mrs. F.
(b) Miss Greta.
(d) Mrs. G.
14. Where does Mr. Easter tell Rose he will find her a job?
(a) In a bank.
(b) In a factory.
(c) On stage.
(d) In a hotel.
15. Why does Willie ask his mother for a dime?
(a) For an ice cream cone.
(b) For a candybar.
(c) For an icee.
(d) For a piece of gum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Buchanan rush out of the building?
2. When is Mr. Buchanan's wife due?
3. What does Mrs. Jones tell the group about marriage?
4. What do the women wonder about Sam Kaplan?
5. How does Mr. Maurrant look when he arrives home?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)