|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a constant throughout the play?
(a) Noise: the noise of the city.
(b) A subway car going by under ground.
(c) Bird calls.
(d) The sound of the wind.
2. What is Greta Fiorentino wearing?
(a) A flowered housecoat.
(b) A summer dress.
(c) A bathing suit.
(d) A fur coat.
3. What happens when Mr. Sankey arrives?
(a) They ask where he is going.
(b) Everyone stops what they are doing.
(c) Everyone encourages him to join in.
(d) They continue as if he is not there.
4. Why do the neighbors get into a discussion about labor unions, the working class, and America's prosperity?
(a) Kaplan believes it is the capitalist structure of the country that is harmful.
(b) They are complaining about their homes and lack of work.
(c) They are discussing The Crash and how it has hurt the economy.
(d) Mr. Kaplan believes capitalism is going to be build up the economy.
5. What is the lighting on the stage?
(a) There is a bright light, reperesenting the sun.
(b) The janitor's apartment windows are lit, as are those in the first floor. There is a red light coming from the demolition site.
(c) The lights in the home are on.
(d) Streetlights run along stage left and stage right.
6. When will Mrs. Hildebrand and her children be thrown out of their apartment?
(a) Next week.
(c) In one week.
(d) In one month.
7. What happens between Vincent and Sam?
(a) They get into an argument.
(b) They get into a physical altercation.
(c) They have a heated debate.
(d) They glare at one another.
8. When is Mr. Buchanan's wife due?
(a) Two months.
(b) Any day.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Last week.
9. What does Sam do at Rose's request?
(a) He goes to his apartment.
(b) He sings to her.
(c) He recites a poem.
(d) He kisses her.
10. Why does Miss Cushing enter the scene excitedly?
(a) She has just seen Mrs. Maurrant and Mr. Sankey together.
(b) She has won the lottery.
(c) She cannot find her wallet.
(d) She has not heard from her children in two days.
11. Why does Mr. Buchanan rush out of the building?
(a) He forgot to buy groceries.
(b) His wife is in labor.
(c) The building is on fire.
(d) He is chasing after his wife.
12. What does Mrs. Jones tell the group about marriage?
(a) You can always get divorced, if the marriage goes sour.
(b) It is something everyone should try, at least once.
(c) Do not ever do it.
(d) It is for better or worse and that if it does not turn out the way you expected than you just have to make do.
13. What do the women gossip about, regarding Mrs. Maurrant?
(a) Her husband is unkind to her, and she should divorce him.
(b) She is new to the neighborhood, so they discuss what they know of her.
(c) A man named Sankey has visited her for the third time this week.
(d) She is rude and disrespectful towards the other tenants.
14. Why does Rose tell Mr. Easter that he must leave?
(a) Her father will be upset to see them together.
(b) Or the whole building will be gossiping about her.
(c) She does not like him.
(d) It is getting late.
15. What do the women wonder about Sam Kaplan?
(a) Why he is not married.
(b) What is wrong with the young man.
(c) Why he seems to like Rose.
(d) If he is available.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Buchanan seem?
2. How does Mr. Easter make Rose uncomfortable?
3. What does Kaplan believe will no longer be necessary once there is no more personal property?
4. What does a sign on the set say about Prof. Filippo Fiorentino?
5. What is Sam doing when he and Rose are left alone?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)