|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ms. Simpson do before leaving?
(a) She makes an offensive comment about Jews to Kaplan.
(b) She makes Mrs. Hildebrand assign an agreement.
(c) She glares at all of the tenants.
(d) She yells at the neighbors on the stoop.
2. What do the women do, after Mr. Sankey's arrival?
(a) They wonder why Mr. Sankey is at the apartment.
(b) They go back to their previous activities.
(c) They discuss the quality of the milk he sells.
(d) They disparage Mrs. Maurrant's character, one of them calling her a whore.
3. How does Mr. Sankey look?
(a) Cheap, dressed in a low quality suit.
(b) Nervous and shy.
(c) Dirty and ragged.
(d) Wealthy and expensively dressed.
4. When will Mrs. Hildebrand and her children be thrown out of their apartment?
(a) Next week.
(b) In one week.
(d) In one month.
5. What do the women wonder about Mr. Maurrant?
(a) Why he is so grumpy all the time.
(b) If he enjoys his job.
(c) If he really loves his wife and children.
(d) If he is suspicious of his wife's relationship with the milkman.
6. Why does Rose tell Mr. Easter that he must leave?
(a) Or the whole building will be gossiping about her.
(b) She does not like him.
(c) It is getting late.
(d) Her father will be upset to see them together.
7. Who leads the rants about the current demise of society, the higher divorce rate, premarital sex, smoking, birth control, and hippies?
(a) Mr. Kaplan.
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) Mrs. Jones.
(d) Mr. Maurrant.
8. What happens when Mr. Sankey arrives?
(a) Everyone stops what they are doing.
(b) Everyone encourages him to join in.
(c) They continue as if he is not there.
(d) They ask where he is going.
9. What has the country's heat wave caused?
(a) Milk all around the country to spoil.
(b) The deaths of six people in Chicago.
(c) Power outages all around the city.
(d) Sales in ice to rise drastically.
10. Who tries to help Rose by yelling at Vincent?
(a) Mr. Maurrant.
(b) Sam Kaplan.
(c) Mr. Jones.
(d) Mr. Buchanan.
11. What does Kaplan believe will no longer be necessary once there is no more personal property?
(a) Public housing.
(b) The family unit.
(c) Paying rent.
12. What does Mrs. Jones tell the group about marriage?
(a) It is something everyone should try, at least once.
(b) It is for better or worse and that if it does not turn out the way you expected than you just have to make do.
(c) You can always get divorced, if the marriage goes sour.
(d) Do not ever do it.
13. What is Greta Fiorentino wearing?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) A flowered housecoat.
(c) A bathing suit.
(d) A summer dress.
14. What does Mrs. Jones not understand about the Kaplans?
(a) How they can sit and read all day long.
(b) Why they are Jewish.
(c) How they can read the newspaper in Hebrew.
(d) Why they do not go to a church.
15. Upon what do the other women agree?
(a) Their older girls are never home.
(b) They want to move out of New York City.
(c) They love this neighborhood.
(d) Their families are annoying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Buchanan rush out of the building?
2. When is Mr. Buchanan's wife due?
3. What does Sam do at Rose's request?
4. Where does Mr. Easter tell Rose he will find her a job?
5. What happens between Vincent and Sam?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)