|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rose do when Sam kisses her?
(a) His embrace is passionate, yet she does not respond.
(b) They embrace one another passionately.
(c) They are both timid and shy.
(d) His embrace is timide, while hers is passionate.
2. For whom is the ice cream that Agnes Cushing buys?
(a) The women on the stoop.
(b) Her son.
(d) Her elderly mother whom she takes care of.
3. What do the women wonder about Sam Kaplan?
(a) What is wrong with the young man.
(b) Why he is not married.
(c) If he is available.
(d) Why he seems to like Rose.
4. How does Vincent Jones treat Rose?
(a) He greets Rose and gives her a kiss on the cheek.
(b) He hugs her.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He greets Rose and begins to harass her, moving his hands over her body.
5. Why does Miss Cushing enter the scene excitedly?
(a) She has not heard from her children in two days.
(b) She cannot find her wallet.
(c) She has just seen Mrs. Maurrant and Mr. Sankey together.
(d) She has won the lottery.
6. Why does Mr. Buchanan rush out of the building?
(a) The building is on fire.
(b) He forgot to buy groceries.
(c) His wife is in labor.
(d) He is chasing after his wife.
7. How does Mr. Buchanan seem?
8. What do the women gossip about, regarding Mrs. Maurrant?
(a) She is new to the neighborhood, so they discuss what they know of her.
(b) She is rude and disrespectful towards the other tenants.
(c) Her husband is unkind to her, and she should divorce him.
(d) A man named Sankey has visited her for the third time this week.
9. What do Lippo and Mrs. Maurrant do as the group discusses music and their respective favorites?
(a) Sing a song.
(b) Dance in the sidewalk.
(c) Play the violin.
(d) Turn on the record player.
10. What does Emma Jones call Greta?
(a) Miss Greta.
(c) Mrs. F.
(d) Mrs. G.
11. What does Ms. Simpson do before leaving?
(a) She yells at the neighbors on the stoop.
(b) She glares at all of the tenants.
(c) She makes an offensive comment about Jews to Kaplan.
(d) She makes Mrs. Hildebrand assign an agreement.
12. Who does Alice Simpson represent?
(a) The government.
(b) A bank.
(c) Child and family services.
(d) A charity.
13. What is a constant throughout the play?
(a) Noise: the noise of the city.
(b) Bird calls.
(c) The sound of the wind.
(d) A subway car going by under ground.
14. What does Rose's father ask about Mr. Easter?
(a) If he has enough money to support Rose.
(b) If he is having problems with Rose at work.
(c) If there was something more, perhaps a physical relationship between her and her boss.
(d) If he is interested in seeing Rose.
15. What is Rose doing as her father gets back from the bar?
(a) Searching through her purse for her keys.
(b) Looking out the window.
(c) Sitting on the stoop crying.
(d) Walking into the apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Jones not understand about the Kaplans?
2. What does Kaplan believe will no longer be necessary once there is no more personal property?
3. What are Mae Jones and Dick McGann doing as Rose passes them?
4. What is Sam doing when he and Rose are left alone?
5. What does Mrs. Jones tell the group about marriage?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)