|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a sign on the set say about Prof. Filippo Fiorentino?
(a) He is a law professor at Yale.
(b) He is a biology professor at Princeton.
(c) He is a music professor at NYU.
(d) He is a musician and teaches lessons.
2. How does the scene end?
(a) Sam is sitting on the steps, smiling.
(b) Rose is sitting alone with her head in her hands.
(c) With Sam sitting alone with his head in his hands.
(d) Both Sam and Rose go into their respective apartments.
3. What does Emma Jones call Greta?
(a) Mrs. G.
(b) Mrs. F.
(d) Miss Greta.
4. Why does Miss Cushing enter the scene excitedly?
(a) She cannot find her wallet.
(b) She has won the lottery.
(c) She has just seen Mrs. Maurrant and Mr. Sankey together.
(d) She has not heard from her children in two days.
5. What happens between Vincent and Sam?
(a) They glare at one another.
(b) They get into an argument.
(c) They get into a physical altercation.
(d) They have a heated debate.
6. Where does Mr. Easter tell Rose he will find her a job?
(a) On stage.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) In a bank.
(d) In a factory.
7. How does Mr. Maurrant look when he arrives home?
8. Why do the neighbors get into a discussion about labor unions, the working class, and America's prosperity?
(a) Mr. Kaplan believes capitalism is going to be build up the economy.
(b) They are discussing The Crash and how it has hurt the economy.
(c) Kaplan believes it is the capitalist structure of the country that is harmful.
(d) They are complaining about their homes and lack of work.
9. What do Lippo and Mrs. Maurrant do as the group discusses music and their respective favorites?
(a) Dance in the sidewalk.
(b) Turn on the record player.
(c) Play the violin.
(d) Sing a song.
10. Why does Shirley Kaplan ask her father to turn his reading lamp off?
(a) It was increasing the temperature in their apartment.
(b) The room is bright enough without it.
(c) He is wasting electricity.
(d) The light is bothering her.
11. Why does Rose tell Mr. Easter that he must leave?
(a) Her father will be upset to see them together.
(b) It is getting late.
(c) Or the whole building will be gossiping about her.
(d) She does not like him.
12. What opinion does Mrs. Maurrant try to quietly assert?
(a) Everyone should find a job and quit complaining.
(b) Everyone should be able to live in peace and accept each other's differences.
(c) Everyone should try to make the best of their lives.
(d) Everyone should research the best options for improving the economy, rather than arguing over what they do not understand.
13. What does Ms. Simpson do before leaving?
(a) She glares at all of the tenants.
(b) She makes an offensive comment about Jews to Kaplan.
(c) She makes Mrs. Hildebrand assign an agreement.
(d) She yells at the neighbors on the stoop.
14. For whom is the ice cream that Agnes Cushing buys?
(a) Her elderly mother whom she takes care of.
(b) The women on the stoop.
(c) Her son.
15. What is Greta Fiorentino wearing?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) A bathing suit.
(c) A flowered housecoat.
(d) A summer dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mae Jones and Dick McGann doing as Rose passes them?
2. Why does Mr. Buchanan rush out of the building?
3. What is Rose doing as her father gets back from the bar?
4. How does Mr. Easter make Rose uncomfortable?
5. What does Rose's father ask about Mr. Easter?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)