|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the women wonder about Mr. Maurrant?
(a) If he really loves his wife and children.
(b) If he is suspicious of his wife's relationship with the milkman.
(c) Why he is so grumpy all the time.
(d) If he enjoys his job.
2. Over what do they argue?
(a) The person who discovered America, Leif Erickson or Christopher Columbus.
(b) Where foreigners should live.
(c) The history of the United States.
(d) Who is considered a foreigner.
3. How does Mr. Sankey look?
(a) Wealthy and expensively dressed.
(b) Dirty and ragged.
(c) Nervous and shy.
(d) Cheap, dressed in a low quality suit.
4. Who does Alice Simpson represent?
(a) The government.
(b) Child and family services.
(c) A bank.
(d) A charity.
5. What does Mr. Maurrant tell the group he is going to do to his kids?
(a) Treat them to a movie.
(b) Throw them out.
(c) Punish them.
(d) Give them up for adoption.
6. What do the women gossip about, regarding Mrs. Maurrant?
(a) She is rude and disrespectful towards the other tenants.
(b) Her husband is unkind to her, and she should divorce him.
(c) A man named Sankey has visited her for the third time this week.
(d) She is new to the neighborhood, so they discuss what they know of her.
7. What is Greta Fiorentino wearing?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) A flowered housecoat.
(c) A summer dress.
(d) A bathing suit.
8. When is Mr. Buchanan's wife due?
(a) Any day.
(b) Last week.
(c) Two months.
(d) Ten days.
9. Why do the neighbors get into a discussion about labor unions, the working class, and America's prosperity?
(a) Kaplan believes it is the capitalist structure of the country that is harmful.
(b) They are complaining about their homes and lack of work.
(c) They are discussing The Crash and how it has hurt the economy.
(d) Mr. Kaplan believes capitalism is going to be build up the economy.
10. Why does the group begin to break up?
(a) They must go to work.
(b) They are tired of arguing.
(c) It is becoming too hot.
(d) They are leaving to go to bed.
11. Why does Shirley Kaplan ask her father to turn his reading lamp off?
(a) The room is bright enough without it.
(b) He is wasting electricity.
(c) The light is bothering her.
(d) It was increasing the temperature in their apartment.
12. What does a sign on the set say about Prof. Filippo Fiorentino?
(a) He is a law professor at Yale.
(b) He is a biology professor at Princeton.
(c) He is a musician and teaches lessons.
(d) He is a music professor at NYU.
13. How does Mr. Easter make Rose uncomfortable?
(a) He pressures her into letting him upstairs and forces a kiss.
(b) He asks to see her mother.
(c) He tells her he loves her.
(d) He berates her for her behavior at work earlier that day.
14. What do the neighbors do when Ms. Simpson argues with Mrs. Hildebrand?
(a) They sit quietly and watch.
(b) They go to their respective homes.
(c) They stand up for Mrs. Hildebrand.
(d) They agree with Ms. Simpson.
15. What does Rose's father ask about Mr. Easter?
(a) If he is interested in seeing Rose.
(b) If he has enough money to support Rose.
(c) If he is having problems with Rose at work.
(d) If there was something more, perhaps a physical relationship between her and her boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mae Jones and Dick McGann doing as Rose passes them?
2. What is the lighting on the stage?
3. What has the country's heat wave caused?
4. Why does Mr. Buchanan rush out of the building?
5. Where would Mrs. Maurrant like to go that evening, but her daughter has not come home yet?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)