|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leads the rants about the current demise of society, the higher divorce rate, premarital sex, smoking, birth control, and hippies?
(a) Mr. Maurrant.
(b) Mr. Kaplan.
(c) Mr. Jones.
(d) Mrs. Jones.
2. How does Mr. Easter make Rose uncomfortable?
(a) He tells her he loves her.
(b) He pressures her into letting him upstairs and forces a kiss.
(c) He berates her for her behavior at work earlier that day.
(d) He asks to see her mother.
3. What has the country's heat wave caused?
(a) Milk all around the country to spoil.
(b) Sales in ice to rise drastically.
(c) The deaths of six people in Chicago.
(d) Power outages all around the city.
4. What does Mr. Maurrant tell the group he is going to do to his kids?
(a) Treat them to a movie.
(b) Throw them out.
(c) Give them up for adoption.
(d) Punish them.
5. How does Mr. Buchanan seem?
6. What is Mr. Filippo Fiorentino carrying as he enters the scene?
(a) His violin and five ice cream cones.
(b) Ice cream cones and a newspaper.
(c) A violin case and sheet music.
(d) Sheet music and a fiddle.
7. Who does Alice Simpson represent?
(a) A bank.
(b) A charity.
(c) Child and family services.
(d) The government.
8. What does Mrs. Jones not understand about the Kaplans?
(a) Why they are Jewish.
(b) How they can read the newspaper in Hebrew.
(c) How they can sit and read all day long.
(d) Why they do not go to a church.
9. Why do the neighbors get into a discussion about labor unions, the working class, and America's prosperity?
(a) They are complaining about their homes and lack of work.
(b) Mr. Kaplan believes capitalism is going to be build up the economy.
(c) Kaplan believes it is the capitalist structure of the country that is harmful.
(d) They are discussing The Crash and how it has hurt the economy.
10. What is the lighting on the stage?
(a) The lights in the home are on.
(b) The janitor's apartment windows are lit, as are those in the first floor. There is a red light coming from the demolition site.
(c) There is a bright light, reperesenting the sun.
(d) Streetlights run along stage left and stage right.
11. Why does Shirley Kaplan ask her father to turn his reading lamp off?
(a) The room is bright enough without it.
(b) He is wasting electricity.
(c) It was increasing the temperature in their apartment.
(d) The light is bothering her.
12. What is one reason why Mr. Maurrant does not like foreigners?
(a) They do not speak English.
(b) They come to America, trying to change things.
(c) They are rude.
(d) They smell funny.
13. Why does Willie ask his mother for a dime?
(a) For an icee.
(b) For a piece of gum.
(c) For an ice cream cone.
(d) For a candybar.
14. How does the scene end?
(a) Sam is sitting on the steps, smiling.
(b) With Sam sitting alone with his head in his hands.
(c) Both Sam and Rose go into their respective apartments.
(d) Rose is sitting alone with her head in her hands.
15. When will Mrs. Hildebrand and her children be thrown out of their apartment?
(a) In one month.
(b) Next week.
(c) In one week.
Short Answer Questions
1. What opinion does Mrs. Maurrant try to quietly assert?
2. Where would Mrs. Maurrant like to go that evening, but her daughter has not come home yet?
3. What is Sam Kaplan's opinion of the concert he had just seen?
4. Who tries to help Rose by yelling at Vincent?
5. What do the women gossip about, regarding Mrs. Maurrant?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)