|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the ladies brush off Mr. Maurrant' mood?
(a) That is just the way he is.
(b) Mrs. Maurrant does not do her job.
(c) He has a stressful job.
(d) All men just want to get their way.
2. What happens when Mr. Sankey arrives?
(a) They ask where he is going.
(b) Everyone encourages him to join in.
(c) They continue as if he is not there.
(d) Everyone stops what they are doing.
3. What does Mrs. Jones tell the group about marriage?
(a) It is for better or worse and that if it does not turn out the way you expected than you just have to make do.
(b) It is something everyone should try, at least once.
(c) Do not ever do it.
(d) You can always get divorced, if the marriage goes sour.
4. Over what do they argue?
(a) Who is considered a foreigner.
(b) The history of the United States.
(c) Where foreigners should live.
(d) The person who discovered America, Leif Erickson or Christopher Columbus.
5. Why does Rose tell Mr. Easter that he must leave?
(a) Her father will be upset to see them together.
(b) It is getting late.
(c) Or the whole building will be gossiping about her.
(d) She does not like him.
6. Why does Shirley Kaplan ask her father to turn his reading lamp off?
(a) It was increasing the temperature in their apartment.
(b) He is wasting electricity.
(c) The room is bright enough without it.
(d) The light is bothering her.
7. What does Mrs. Jones not understand about the Kaplans?
(a) How they can sit and read all day long.
(b) Why they do not go to a church.
(c) How they can read the newspaper in Hebrew.
(d) Why they are Jewish.
8. What is one reason why Mr. Maurrant does not like foreigners?
(a) They smell funny.
(b) They are rude.
(c) They come to America, trying to change things.
(d) They do not speak English.
9. Why does Mr. Buchanan rush out of the building?
(a) He is chasing after his wife.
(b) The building is on fire.
(c) He forgot to buy groceries.
(d) His wife is in labor.
10. What is the audience able to see of this building?
(a) The front of this old Victorian home, lined with bushes and flowerbeds.
(b) The first five floors of the highrise aparment, a sign for valet parking, and a large awning over the entrance.
(c) A typical looking suburban home with toys lying around in the front yard.
(d) The first floor windows and the bottom of the second story. To the left there is a partial view of the attached building, a storage warehouse under heavy construction. The house to the right is being demolished.
11. Who does Alice Simpson represent?
(a) Child and family services.
(b) The government.
(c) A bank.
(d) A charity.
12. How does the scene end?
(a) Both Sam and Rose go into their respective apartments.
(b) Rose is sitting alone with her head in her hands.
(c) With Sam sitting alone with his head in his hands.
(d) Sam is sitting on the steps, smiling.
13. What are Mae Jones and Dick McGann doing as Rose passes them?
(a) Dancing around, inebriated.
(b) Kissing on a bench.
(c) Sitting on the curb.
(d) Sitting on the stoop.
14. Who tries to help Rose by yelling at Vincent?
(a) Mr. Buchanan.
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) Sam Kaplan.
(d) Mr. Maurrant.
15. Upon what do the other women agree?
(a) Their older girls are never home.
(b) They love this neighborhood.
(c) They want to move out of New York City.
(d) Their families are annoying.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Vincent Jones treat Rose?
2. How does Mr. Sankey look?
3. When is Mr. Buchanan's wife due?
4. How does Mr. Easter make Rose uncomfortable?
5. What has the country's heat wave caused?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)