|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sam Kaplan's opinion of the concert he had just seen?
(a) He liked the type of music; it just was not played well.
(b) He enjoyed the music.
(c) It was the best one he had ever been to.
(d) He did not like the type of music that was played.
2. What do the women do, after Mr. Sankey's arrival?
(a) They go back to their previous activities.
(b) They discuss the quality of the milk he sells.
(c) They wonder why Mr. Sankey is at the apartment.
(d) They disparage Mrs. Maurrant's character, one of them calling her a whore.
3. Where would Mrs. Maurrant like to go that evening, but her daughter has not come home yet?
(a) To the movies.
(b) Out to dinner.
(c) To the concert in the park .
(d) To a Broadway show.
4. What is Greta Fiorentino wearing?
(a) A summer dress.
(b) A bathing suit.
(c) A fur coat.
(d) A flowered housecoat.
5. What does Mr. Maurrant do when Willie appears, crying?
(a) He hugs his son.
(b) He yells at both his wife and son.
(c) He leaves to go after whoever had hurt his son.
(d) He spanks his son.
6. What do the women wonder about Mr. Maurrant?
(a) If he is suspicious of his wife's relationship with the milkman.
(b) Why he is so grumpy all the time.
(c) If he really loves his wife and children.
(d) If he enjoys his job.
7. Who leads the rants about the current demise of society, the higher divorce rate, premarital sex, smoking, birth control, and hippies?
(a) Mr. Jones.
(b) Mrs. Jones.
(c) Mr. Kaplan.
(d) Mr. Maurrant.
8. What is one reason why Mr. Maurrant does not like foreigners?
(a) They are rude.
(b) They do not speak English.
(c) They smell funny.
(d) They come to America, trying to change things.
9. What happens between Vincent and Sam?
(a) They have a heated debate.
(b) They get into an argument.
(c) They get into a physical altercation.
(d) They glare at one another.
10. How does Mr. Sankey look?
(a) Dirty and ragged.
(b) Nervous and shy.
(c) Cheap, dressed in a low quality suit.
(d) Wealthy and expensively dressed.
11. Who does Alice Simpson represent?
(a) The government.
(b) A bank.
(c) A charity.
(d) Child and family services.
12. What do the women gossip about, regarding Mrs. Maurrant?
(a) A man named Sankey has visited her for the third time this week.
(b) Her husband is unkind to her, and she should divorce him.
(c) She is new to the neighborhood, so they discuss what they know of her.
(d) She is rude and disrespectful towards the other tenants.
13. What opinion does Mrs. Maurrant try to quietly assert?
(a) Everyone should research the best options for improving the economy, rather than arguing over what they do not understand.
(b) Everyone should try to make the best of their lives.
(c) Everyone should be able to live in peace and accept each other's differences.
(d) Everyone should find a job and quit complaining.
14. Upon what do the other women agree?
(a) Their older girls are never home.
(b) Their families are annoying.
(c) They love this neighborhood.
(d) They want to move out of New York City.
15. Why does Rose tell Mr. Easter that he must leave?
(a) Or the whole building will be gossiping about her.
(b) She does not like him.
(c) It is getting late.
(d) Her father will be upset to see them together.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Maurrant look when he arrives home?
2. What does Ms. Simpson do before leaving?
3. What are Mae Jones and Dick McGann doing as Rose passes them?
4. What does Mrs. Jones tell the group about marriage?
5. On what does Mr. Maurrant lecture his wife?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)