|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the neighbors get into a discussion about labor unions, the working class, and America's prosperity?
(a) They are discussing The Crash and how it has hurt the economy.
(b) Kaplan believes it is the capitalist structure of the country that is harmful.
(c) They are complaining about their homes and lack of work.
(d) Mr. Kaplan believes capitalism is going to be build up the economy.
2. What do the women wonder about Mr. Maurrant?
(a) Why he is so grumpy all the time.
(b) If he really loves his wife and children.
(c) If he is suspicious of his wife's relationship with the milkman.
(d) If he enjoys his job.
3. Why does Mr. Buchanan rush out of the building?
(a) The building is on fire.
(b) He is chasing after his wife.
(c) His wife is in labor.
(d) He forgot to buy groceries.
4. When is Mr. Buchanan's wife due?
(a) Any day.
(b) Two months.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Last week.
5. What is one reason why Mr. Maurrant does not like foreigners?
(a) They do not speak English.
(b) They are rude.
(c) They come to America, trying to change things.
(d) They smell funny.
6. What is the lighting on the stage?
(a) The lights in the home are on.
(b) The janitor's apartment windows are lit, as are those in the first floor. There is a red light coming from the demolition site.
(c) There is a bright light, reperesenting the sun.
(d) Streetlights run along stage left and stage right.
7. Why does Rose tell Mr. Easter that he must leave?
(a) She does not like him.
(b) Her father will be upset to see them together.
(c) It is getting late.
(d) Or the whole building will be gossiping about her.
8. What do the women do, after Mr. Sankey's arrival?
(a) They wonder why Mr. Sankey is at the apartment.
(b) They discuss the quality of the milk he sells.
(c) They go back to their previous activities.
(d) They disparage Mrs. Maurrant's character, one of them calling her a whore.
9. Why does the group begin to break up?
(a) They must go to work.
(b) It is becoming too hot.
(c) They are tired of arguing.
(d) They are leaving to go to bed.
10. Where does Mr. Easter tell Rose he will find her a job?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) On stage.
(c) In a factory.
(d) In a bank.
11. How does Mr. Maurrant look when he arrives home?
12. What opinion does Mrs. Maurrant try to quietly assert?
(a) Everyone should try to make the best of their lives.
(b) Everyone should be able to live in peace and accept each other's differences.
(c) Everyone should research the best options for improving the economy, rather than arguing over what they do not understand.
(d) Everyone should find a job and quit complaining.
13. What does Mr. Maurrant do when Willie appears, crying?
(a) He leaves to go after whoever had hurt his son.
(b) He yells at both his wife and son.
(c) He spanks his son.
(d) He hugs his son.
14. Upon what do the other women agree?
(a) Their older girls are never home.
(b) They want to move out of New York City.
(c) They love this neighborhood.
(d) Their families are annoying.
15. About what do Emma, Greta, and Olga speak?
(a) Their poverty.
(b) The lack of work.
(c) The extreme heat.
(d) Their wild children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rose doing as her father gets back from the bar?
2. What is Sam doing when he and Rose are left alone?
3. Who does Alice Simpson represent?
4. What does Mrs. Jones tell the group about marriage?
5. Where does this play begin?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)