|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the women wonder about Mr. Maurrant?
(a) If he really loves his wife and children.
(b) If he enjoys his job.
(c) If he is suspicious of his wife's relationship with the milkman.
(d) Why he is so grumpy all the time.
2. What are Mae Jones and Dick McGann doing as Rose passes them?
(a) Sitting on the curb.
(b) Sitting on the stoop.
(c) Kissing on a bench.
(d) Dancing around, inebriated.
3. How does Mr. Maurrant look when he arrives home?
4. Why does Shirley Kaplan ask her father to turn his reading lamp off?
(a) The room is bright enough without it.
(b) The light is bothering her.
(c) He is wasting electricity.
(d) It was increasing the temperature in their apartment.
5. What do the women do, after Mr. Sankey's arrival?
(a) They go back to their previous activities.
(b) They wonder why Mr. Sankey is at the apartment.
(c) They disparage Mrs. Maurrant's character, one of them calling her a whore.
(d) They discuss the quality of the milk he sells.
6. Who does Mrs. Jones say do not know anything about raising babies?
(a) The wealthy.
(b) New Yorkers.
(c) The poor.
7. What is the lighting on the stage?
(a) There is a bright light, reperesenting the sun.
(b) The lights in the home are on.
(c) The janitor's apartment windows are lit, as are those in the first floor. There is a red light coming from the demolition site.
(d) Streetlights run along stage left and stage right.
8. How do the ladies brush off Mr. Maurrant' mood?
(a) He has a stressful job.
(b) All men just want to get their way.
(c) Mrs. Maurrant does not do her job.
(d) That is just the way he is.
9. What do the women wonder about Sam Kaplan?
(a) Why he is not married.
(b) Why he seems to like Rose.
(c) What is wrong with the young man.
(d) If he is available.
10. What is Sam Kaplan's opinion of the concert he had just seen?
(a) He enjoyed the music.
(b) He liked the type of music; it just was not played well.
(c) It was the best one he had ever been to.
(d) He did not like the type of music that was played.
11. What happens between Vincent and Sam?
(a) They get into an argument.
(b) They have a heated debate.
(c) They glare at one another.
(d) They get into a physical altercation.
12. When will Mrs. Hildebrand and her children be thrown out of their apartment?
(a) In one week.
(c) Next week.
(d) In one month.
13. When is Mr. Buchanan's wife due?
(a) Last week.
(b) Any day.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Two months.
14. Who tries to help Rose by yelling at Vincent?
(a) Mr. Buchanan.
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) Mr. Maurrant.
(d) Sam Kaplan.
15. What happens when Mr. Sankey arrives?
(a) Everyone encourages him to join in.
(b) Everyone stops what they are doing.
(c) They continue as if he is not there.
(d) They ask where he is going.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the group begin to break up?
2. Why does Rose tell Mr. Easter that he must leave?
3. What is a constant throughout the play?
4. Why do the neighbors get into a discussion about labor unions, the working class, and America's prosperity?
5. How does the scene end?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)