|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one reason why Mr. Maurrant does not like foreigners?
(a) They smell funny.
(b) They do not speak English.
(c) They are rude.
(d) They come to America, trying to change things.
2. Why does the group begin to break up?
(a) It is becoming too hot.
(b) They are leaving to go to bed.
(c) They are tired of arguing.
(d) They must go to work.
3. What do the women wonder about Sam Kaplan?
(a) Why he is not married.
(b) What is wrong with the young man.
(c) Why he seems to like Rose.
(d) If he is available.
4. What is the lighting on the stage?
(a) There is a bright light, reperesenting the sun.
(b) The janitor's apartment windows are lit, as are those in the first floor. There is a red light coming from the demolition site.
(c) The lights in the home are on.
(d) Streetlights run along stage left and stage right.
5. Where does this play begin?
(a) There is a large Victorian-style home with a wrap around porch and grassy fields in the background.
(b) It is a typical suburban home in New Jersey with children playing in the front yard and a swingset in the back.
(c) In a highrise apartment on the Upper Eastside of New York City.
(d) There is a walk up tenement style apartment located in a dodgy, dilapidated part of New York City, built in the 1890s.
6. Who leads the rants about the current demise of society, the higher divorce rate, premarital sex, smoking, birth control, and hippies?
(a) Mr. Kaplan.
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) Mrs. Jones.
(d) Mr. Maurrant.
7. Over what do they argue?
(a) Where foreigners should live.
(b) Who is considered a foreigner.
(c) The person who discovered America, Leif Erickson or Christopher Columbus.
(d) The history of the United States.
8. Upon what do the other women agree?
(a) They love this neighborhood.
(b) Their older girls are never home.
(c) Their families are annoying.
(d) They want to move out of New York City.
9. Why does Rose tell Mr. Easter that he must leave?
(a) She does not like him.
(b) Or the whole building will be gossiping about her.
(c) Her father will be upset to see them together.
(d) It is getting late.
10. How does Mr. Maurrant look when he arrives home?
11. What is the audience able to see of this building?
(a) The front of this old Victorian home, lined with bushes and flowerbeds.
(b) The first five floors of the highrise aparment, a sign for valet parking, and a large awning over the entrance.
(c) The first floor windows and the bottom of the second story. To the left there is a partial view of the attached building, a storage warehouse under heavy construction. The house to the right is being demolished.
(d) A typical looking suburban home with toys lying around in the front yard.
12. What is Mr. Filippo Fiorentino carrying as he enters the scene?
(a) Ice cream cones and a newspaper.
(b) A violin case and sheet music.
(c) His violin and five ice cream cones.
(d) Sheet music and a fiddle.
13. What happens between Vincent and Sam?
(a) They glare at one another.
(b) They get into an argument.
(c) They get into a physical altercation.
(d) They have a heated debate.
14. When is Mr. Buchanan's wife due?
(a) Two months.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Any day.
(d) Last week.
15. How does Vincent Jones treat Rose?
(a) He greets Rose and begins to harass her, moving his hands over her body.
(b) He greets Rose and gives her a kiss on the cheek.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He hugs her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When will Mrs. Hildebrand and her children be thrown out of their apartment?
2. On what does Mr. Maurrant lecture his wife?
3. What does Emma Jones call Greta?
4. What do the neighbors do when Ms. Simpson argues with Mrs. Hildebrand?
5. What do Lippo and Mrs. Maurrant do as the group discusses music and their respective favorites?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)