|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Miss Cushing enter the scene excitedly?
(a) She cannot find her wallet.
(b) She has just seen Mrs. Maurrant and Mr. Sankey together.
(c) She has not heard from her children in two days.
(d) She has won the lottery.
2. What does a sign on the set say about Prof. Filippo Fiorentino?
(a) He is a music professor at NYU.
(b) He is a musician and teaches lessons.
(c) He is a law professor at Yale.
(d) He is a biology professor at Princeton.
3. Where would Mrs. Maurrant like to go that evening, but her daughter has not come home yet?
(a) To the movies.
(b) Out to dinner.
(c) To a Broadway show.
(d) To the concert in the park .
4. What does Kaplan believe will no longer be necessary once there is no more personal property?
(a) Paying rent.
(b) The family unit.
(d) Public housing.
5. What is the audience able to see of this building?
(a) The front of this old Victorian home, lined with bushes and flowerbeds.
(b) A typical looking suburban home with toys lying around in the front yard.
(c) The first floor windows and the bottom of the second story. To the left there is a partial view of the attached building, a storage warehouse under heavy construction. The house to the right is being demolished.
(d) The first five floors of the highrise aparment, a sign for valet parking, and a large awning over the entrance.
6. What is Mr. Filippo Fiorentino carrying as he enters the scene?
(a) Sheet music and a fiddle.
(b) A violin case and sheet music.
(c) Ice cream cones and a newspaper.
(d) His violin and five ice cream cones.
7. What is a constant throughout the play?
(a) Bird calls.
(b) Noise: the noise of the city.
(c) A subway car going by under ground.
(d) The sound of the wind.
8. When will Mrs. Hildebrand and her children be thrown out of their apartment?
(b) In one week.
(c) In one month.
(d) Next week.
9. What is one reason why Mr. Maurrant does not like foreigners?
(a) They come to America, trying to change things.
(b) They smell funny.
(c) They are rude.
(d) They do not speak English.
10. How does Vincent Jones treat Rose?
(a) He hugs her.
(b) He greets Rose and begins to harass her, moving his hands over her body.
(c) He greets Rose and gives her a kiss on the cheek.
(d) He ignores her.
11. What happens between Vincent and Sam?
(a) They get into an argument.
(b) They glare at one another.
(c) They get into a physical altercation.
(d) They have a heated debate.
12. What has the country's heat wave caused?
(a) The deaths of six people in Chicago.
(b) Sales in ice to rise drastically.
(c) Power outages all around the city.
(d) Milk all around the country to spoil.
13. What is Sam doing when he and Rose are left alone?
(a) He sits on the stoop sobbing and calls himself a coward.
(b) He is hugging Rose.
(c) He is pacing the sidewalk.
(d) He is sitting silently on the curb.
14. Why does Rose tell Mr. Easter that he must leave?
(a) Her father will be upset to see them together.
(b) Or the whole building will be gossiping about her.
(c) It is getting late.
(d) She does not like him.
15. What do the women wonder about Sam Kaplan?
(a) If he is available.
(b) Why he seems to like Rose.
(c) Why he is not married.
(d) What is wrong with the young man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sam do at Rose's request?
2. What happens when Mr. Sankey arrives?
3. What do the women do, after Mr. Sankey's arrival?
4. Why does Shirley Kaplan ask her father to turn his reading lamp off?
5. What does Mr. Maurrant tell the group he is going to do to his kids?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)