|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Sankey arrives?
(a) Everyone encourages him to join in.
(b) They continue as if he is not there.
(c) They ask where he is going.
(d) Everyone stops what they are doing.
2. What does a sign on the set say about Prof. Filippo Fiorentino?
(a) He is a musician and teaches lessons.
(b) He is a law professor at Yale.
(c) He is a biology professor at Princeton.
(d) He is a music professor at NYU.
3. What is Rose doing as her father gets back from the bar?
(a) Looking out the window.
(b) Walking into the apartment.
(c) Sitting on the stoop crying.
(d) Searching through her purse for her keys.
4. Why does the group begin to break up?
(a) It is becoming too hot.
(b) They are tired of arguing.
(c) They must go to work.
(d) They are leaving to go to bed.
5. What does Kaplan believe will no longer be necessary once there is no more personal property?
(a) Public housing.
(b) Paying rent.
(c) The family unit.
6. What does Mrs. Jones tell the group about marriage?
(a) You can always get divorced, if the marriage goes sour.
(b) Do not ever do it.
(c) It is for better or worse and that if it does not turn out the way you expected than you just have to make do.
(d) It is something everyone should try, at least once.
7. What does Mrs. Jones not understand about the Kaplans?
(a) Why they are Jewish.
(b) How they can read the newspaper in Hebrew.
(c) How they can sit and read all day long.
(d) Why they do not go to a church.
8. What is Sam doing when he and Rose are left alone?
(a) He is sitting silently on the curb.
(b) He is hugging Rose.
(c) He sits on the stoop sobbing and calls himself a coward.
(d) He is pacing the sidewalk.
9. What is a constant throughout the play?
(a) A subway car going by under ground.
(b) Noise: the noise of the city.
(c) The sound of the wind.
(d) Bird calls.
10. What is the lighting on the stage?
(a) The lights in the home are on.
(b) The janitor's apartment windows are lit, as are those in the first floor. There is a red light coming from the demolition site.
(c) Streetlights run along stage left and stage right.
(d) There is a bright light, reperesenting the sun.
11. What are Mae Jones and Dick McGann doing as Rose passes them?
(a) Sitting on the curb.
(b) Dancing around, inebriated.
(c) Kissing on a bench.
(d) Sitting on the stoop.
12. Over what do they argue?
(a) The history of the United States.
(b) The person who discovered America, Leif Erickson or Christopher Columbus.
(c) Who is considered a foreigner.
(d) Where foreigners should live.
13. What does Mr. Maurrant tell the group he is going to do to his kids?
(a) Throw them out.
(b) Give them up for adoption.
(c) Treat them to a movie.
(d) Punish them.
14. For whom is the ice cream that Agnes Cushing buys?
(a) The women on the stoop.
(b) Her son.
(d) Her elderly mother whom she takes care of.
15. What is Greta Fiorentino wearing?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) A bathing suit.
(c) A summer dress.
(d) A flowered housecoat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miss Cushing enter the scene excitedly?
2. What opinion does Mrs. Maurrant try to quietly assert?
3. What do the women gossip about, regarding Mrs. Maurrant?
4. What do the neighbors do when Ms. Simpson argues with Mrs. Hildebrand?
5. Where does this play begin?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)