|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom is the ice cream that Agnes Cushing buys?
(a) The women on the stoop.
(b) Her elderly mother whom she takes care of.
(d) Her son.
2. What does a sign on the set say about Prof. Filippo Fiorentino?
(a) He is a musician and teaches lessons.
(b) He is a law professor at Yale.
(c) He is a biology professor at Princeton.
(d) He is a music professor at NYU.
3. How does Mr. Easter make Rose uncomfortable?
(a) He asks to see her mother.
(b) He berates her for her behavior at work earlier that day.
(c) He tells her he loves her.
(d) He pressures her into letting him upstairs and forces a kiss.
4. What is the audience able to see of this building?
(a) The front of this old Victorian home, lined with bushes and flowerbeds.
(b) A typical looking suburban home with toys lying around in the front yard.
(c) The first floor windows and the bottom of the second story. To the left there is a partial view of the attached building, a storage warehouse under heavy construction. The house to the right is being demolished.
(d) The first five floors of the highrise aparment, a sign for valet parking, and a large awning over the entrance.
5. What do Lippo and Mrs. Maurrant do as the group discusses music and their respective favorites?
(a) Turn on the record player.
(b) Sing a song.
(c) Dance in the sidewalk.
(d) Play the violin.
6. What does Mrs. Jones tell the group about marriage?
(a) You can always get divorced, if the marriage goes sour.
(b) It is for better or worse and that if it does not turn out the way you expected than you just have to make do.
(c) Do not ever do it.
(d) It is something everyone should try, at least once.
7. What is Mr. Filippo Fiorentino carrying as he enters the scene?
(a) Ice cream cones and a newspaper.
(b) His violin and five ice cream cones.
(c) A violin case and sheet music.
(d) Sheet music and a fiddle.
8. Over what do they argue?
(a) Who is considered a foreigner.
(b) The person who discovered America, Leif Erickson or Christopher Columbus.
(c) The history of the United States.
(d) Where foreigners should live.
9. Why does the group begin to break up?
(a) They are leaving to go to bed.
(b) It is becoming too hot.
(c) They are tired of arguing.
(d) They must go to work.
10. What is Rose doing as her father gets back from the bar?
(a) Walking into the apartment.
(b) Sitting on the stoop crying.
(c) Searching through her purse for her keys.
(d) Looking out the window.
11. What does Ms. Simpson do before leaving?
(a) She glares at all of the tenants.
(b) She makes Mrs. Hildebrand assign an agreement.
(c) She yells at the neighbors on the stoop.
(d) She makes an offensive comment about Jews to Kaplan.
12. What are Mae Jones and Dick McGann doing as Rose passes them?
(a) Kissing on a bench.
(b) Sitting on the curb.
(c) Sitting on the stoop.
(d) Dancing around, inebriated.
13. How does Mr. Maurrant look when he arrives home?
14. What does Emma Jones call Greta?
(a) Mrs. F.
(b) Mrs. G.
(d) Miss Greta.
15. Why does Rose tell Mr. Easter that he must leave?
(a) Or the whole building will be gossiping about her.
(b) It is getting late.
(c) Her father will be upset to see them together.
(d) She does not like him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the women wonder about Mr. Maurrant?
2. Why does Shirley Kaplan ask her father to turn his reading lamp off?
3. How does Vincent Jones treat Rose?
4. What does Mrs. Jones not understand about the Kaplans?
5. What is Sam Kaplan's opinion of the concert he had just seen?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)