|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Blanche say to save the birthday cake candles?
2. About what does Stanley say that he and Stella used to like being together?
3. What happens when Mitch doesn't pick up the phone?
4. Why does Stanley tell Mitch the truth about Blanche?
5. How many times does Blanche say she has apologized for the humidity from the bath?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Blanche explain her fear of being seen in the light?
2. Why does Stanley come home, leaving Stella at the hospital?
3. What does Blanche confess to Mitch about her life?
4. Why does Blanche think has happened to Mitch that he is not at her party?
5. What does Blanche suggest she and Mitch do when they arrive in the Kowalski's apartment?
6. Why is Mitch embarrassed to remove his coat?
7. What really happened at Blanche's teaching job that caused her to come to New Orleans?
8. What does Blanche do even though Stella begs her not to?
9. How does Stanley explain his ethnic background to Blanche?
10. Why does Mitch turn down a drink from Blanche?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The physical altercations in this play are striking, even if you're not seeing them performed. Give three examples of physical altercations that take place in this play. What is the cause of each of these events? Could anything have been done to stop these events? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Stella, it seems, left her family in order to be with Stanley. Why do you think she deserted Blanche? Or is that not the case? Why do you think Stella stayed away from Blanche, not even introducing her to her husband? Or was the estrangement mutual? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The rape of Blanche is hard to define in this play as the play was written in a time when the mere thought of rape was inconceivable. Why do you think Tennessee Williams decided to use a rape scene in this play? What does it say about Stanley? What does this scene say about Blanche? Was this scene necessary? Why or why not?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)