|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stanley offer to Blanche?
2. Stella is afraid that Mitch will not longer want to ________ Blanche.
3. About what does Blanche talk to imaginary admirers?
4. What happens to Stella at the end of this scene?
5. What is Blanche doing as Stanley reveals what he has learned about Blanche to Stella?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Blanche think has happened to Mitch that he is not at her party?
2. What does Blanche put on as she pulls her trunk into the center of the bedroom?
3. Why is Mitch confused about the signals that Blanche has been giving during their date?
4. Where do Mitch and Blanche go for their first date?
5. What is the explanation that Blanche offers to Stanley for her odd, dressed-up appearance?
6. Why is Stella afraid for Blanche as she realizes that Blanche's past has caught up with her?
7. What does Stanley reveal to Stella about Blanche, that he found out additionally?
8. What is Stella's explanation as to why Blanche is so flighty?
9. When Stanley begins to eat his pork chop with his hands, how does Stella respond?
10. What does Blanche confess to Mitch about her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting of Elysian Fields seems to be a depressing one. Give three examples of things that surround Elysian Fields that add to its feeling of depravity and gloom. Do you think that a change of setting would have changed the story? Why or why not? How does the setting affect each of the four main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Stanley is obviously having a good time making Blanche squirm as he reveals her deception. Why do you think he enjoys this so much? What does Stanley stand to gain from finding out the lies about Blanche? Do you think Stanley feels badly at all about Blanche's life up to this point? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Stanley tells Stella at one point that everything will be better once the baby is born and Blanche is gone. Do you think this is the truth? Why or why not? Do you think Stanley believes what he says? Why or why not? Was Blanche really the cause of their problems or was she just a convenient excuse? Why or why not?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)