|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blanche slam down onto the dressing table?
2. Where does Mitch workout?
3. Where does Blanche want them to pretend to be?
4. What happens to Stella at the end of this scene?
5. What did Blanche's husband do when she confronted him about #104?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stanley break down Blanche's fantasy?
2. Why does Mitch turn down a drink from Blanche?
3. What is the explanation that Blanche offers to Stanley for her odd, dressed-up appearance?
4. How does Blanche prepare herself after Mitch rings the doorbell?
5. What does Blanche suggest she and Mitch do when they arrive in the Kowalski's apartment?
6. What does Blanche ask Mitch in French, though he can not understand what she is saying?
7. Why does Stanley come home, leaving Stella at the hospital?
8. What does Blanche do even though Stella begs her not to?
9. What does Blanche put on as she pulls her trunk into the center of the bedroom?
10. Why does Blanche think has happened to Mitch that he is not at her party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stanley tells Stella at one point that everything will be better once the baby is born and Blanche is gone. Do you think this is the truth? Why or why not? Do you think Stanley believes what he says? Why or why not? Was Blanche really the cause of their problems or was she just a convenient excuse? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Belle Reve seems to be the last straw for Blanche's sanity and her life. But what really happened to Belle Reve? What do you think happened? Why has this affected Blanche in the way that it does? What other explanation could there be for the downfall of Belle Reve?
Essay Topic 3
The light is something that Blanche tries to avoid at all costs - which might be seen as symbolic as well. Why do you think Blanche wants to avoid being seen in the light? What does this say about her character? Is this something that might be a signal of her failing mental health? Give examples of how she tries to avoid the light.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)