|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers Blanche a shoulder to cry on after the events of the evening?
2. Where does Stella decide to go in order to join Stanley for the evening?
3. Who is the one person that Blanches does not meet right away?
4. What has Blanche said she is learning from Steve?
5. What have the men been eating during their poker game?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Stella's explanation for Stanley's behavior the night before?
2. What happens after Stanley throws the radio out of the window?
3. What does Blanche do when she finds a bottle of whiskey in Stella's apartment?
4. What has Shaw revealed to Stanley about Blanche?
5. How does Mitch first make small talk with Blanche?
6. Who is playing poker with Stanley at the beginning of Scene 3?
7. How does Stella describe her relationship with Stanley?
8. What does Stella say is more important to her than any other thing in her relationship?
9. What does Stella reveal about Mitch and what does she think of him?
10. Why does Stanley get so upset about the idea of Belle Reve being lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The light is something that Blanche tries to avoid at all costs - which might be seen as symbolic as well. Why do you think Blanche wants to avoid being seen in the light? What does this say about her character? Is this something that might be a signal of her failing mental health? Give examples of how she tries to avoid the light.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of the poker game seems to be a metaphor for the rest of the play. It's a game of strategy, of deception at times, and only one person can win. How does Stanley and Blanche's relationship compare to this game? What are some other ways that Stanley is playing games with Blanche and with his wife?
Essay Topic 3
Stella, it seems, left her family in order to be with Stanley. Why do you think she deserted Blanche? Or is that not the case? Why do you think Stella stayed away from Blanche, not even introducing her to her husband? Or was the estrangement mutual? Why or why not?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)