|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the one person that Blanches does not meet right away?
2. What is the street vendor shouting as the women leave?
3. What does Stella say about the event in #56? I was sort of ________ by it.
4. To what does Blanche compare her sister's desire?
5. What causes Blanche to scream after Stella pours her a coke?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stella describe her relationship with Stanley?
2. Why doesn't Stella introduce Mitch to Blanche when they arrive home from their night out?
3. What does Stella reveal about Mitch and what does she think of him?
4. How could a reader describe Stanley Kowalski?
5. What shows that Stella is not upset about the previous night's events anymore?
6. What has happened to Belle Reve, according to Blanche and to the papers she shows Stanley from her trunk?
7. What do Stella and Blanche intend to do the night after Blanche arrives?
8. Who lives at 632 Elysian Fields, as the play opens in "A Streetcar Named Desire"?
9. What does Stella say is more important to her than any other thing in her relationship?
10. Who is playing poker with Stanley at the beginning of Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stanley tells Stella at one point that everything will be better once the baby is born and Blanche is gone. Do you think this is the truth? Why or why not? Do you think Stanley believes what he says? Why or why not? Was Blanche really the cause of their problems or was she just a convenient excuse? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, Blanche is taken away, seemingly crazy and in need of help. But what are the signs that might have indicated she was mentally unstable long before she was taken away? Give at least three signs that Blanche needed mental health attention. Do you think she was actually crazy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It could be argued that Stanley actually wants Blanche for his own as he is always focusing his attention on her and trying to find out more about her. What do you think about this theory? Do you think Stanley actually is attracted to Blanche? Why or why not? Do you think Stella sees this as a possibility? Why or why not?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)