|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What astrological sign does Blanche say she is?
2. What does Blanche reveal she is on since leaving teaching because of her nerves?
3. What does Stella ask Stanley to do for Blanche?
4. What will Stanley be doing when the women are out?
5. In what city does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Blanche suggest they do in order to leave Stanley and the "situation" behind?
2. How does Blanche mock her sister's desire?
3. How does Stella describe her relationship with Stanley?
4. What happens to let Blanche and Stanley to be alone together?
5. What has Shaw revealed to Stanley about Blanche?
6. How do the men attempt to calm Stanley down?
7. Who lives at 632 Elysian Fields, as the play opens in "A Streetcar Named Desire"?
8. What does Blanche tell Stella about her reason for coming to New Orleans?
9. What is Blanche afraid of in terms of her relationship with Mitch?
10. What shows that Stella is not upset about the previous night's events anymore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alcohol seems to fuel many of the fires in this story. And while everyone drinks, it seems that Blanche tries to hide it in some instances. Why is this? Do you think that if alcohol was removed from this story, the events would have played out differently? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Stella, it seems, left her family in order to be with Stanley. Why do you think she deserted Blanche? Or is that not the case? Why do you think Stella stayed away from Blanche, not even introducing her to her husband? Or was the estrangement mutual? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Stanley is obviously having a good time making Blanche squirm as he reveals her deception. Why do you think he enjoys this so much? What does Stanley stand to gain from finding out the lies about Blanche? Do you think Stanley feels badly at all about Blanche's life up to this point? Why or why not?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)