|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does the story take place?
2. On what plantation was Stella raised?
3. What does Stanley do that shows he is unrefined, but in his eyes, practical?
4. What does Blanche ask Stella for in order to calm her nerves?
5. What is Harold Mitchell's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Blanche afraid of in terms of her relationship with Mitch?
2. What is Stella's explanation for Stanley's behavior the night before?
3. What does Stella say is more important to her than any other thing in her relationship?
4. What does Stella reveal about Mitch and what does she think of him?
5. What does Blanche tell Stella about her reason for coming to New Orleans?
6. Who is playing poker with Stanley at the beginning of Scene 3?
7. Why is Stanley taunting Blanche more at this point in the story?
8. What is happening between Eunice and Steve at the beginning of scene 5 that frightens Blanche?
9. What has happened to Belle Reve, according to Blanche and to the papers she shows Stanley from her trunk?
10. What solution to the argument between Eunice and Steve does Stella find more practical?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The light is something that Blanche tries to avoid at all costs - which might be seen as symbolic as well. Why do you think Blanche wants to avoid being seen in the light? What does this say about her character? Is this something that might be a signal of her failing mental health? Give examples of how she tries to avoid the light.
Essay Topic 2
Stanley tells Stella at one point that everything will be better once the baby is born and Blanche is gone. Do you think this is the truth? Why or why not? Do you think Stanley believes what he says? Why or why not? Was Blanche really the cause of their problems or was she just a convenient excuse? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Spousal abuse is something indirectly addressed in this play. What are some examples of spousal abuse that occur? Why do you think Stella reacts the way she does? Do you think she believes she is being abused? Why or why not? Why does Blanche react the way she does?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)