|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since Stella left Blanche to handle the deaths of their relatives?
2. When did Blanche meet this old beau?
3. To where do Stella and Blanche retreat?
4. What is the street vendor shouting as the women leave?
5. What does Mitch bring when he arrives at the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Blanche mock her sister's desire?
2. What is happening between Eunice and Steve at the beginning of scene 5 that frightens Blanche?
3. How does Stella describe her relationship with Stanley?
4. What does Blanche suggest they do in order to leave Stanley and the "situation" behind?
5. What happens after Stanley throws the radio out of the window?
6. What happened on Stella's wedding night that horrifies Blanche, but Stella admits thrilled her?
7. How could a reader describe Stanley Kowalski?
8. What does Stella reveal about Mitch and what does she think of him?
9. What does Blanche tell Stella about her reason for coming to New Orleans?
10. Why is Stanley taunting Blanche more at this point in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stella seems like a timid and weak character at first glance, but is this really the case? Give three examples of times when Stella is actually a strong force with which to be reckoned. How does she assert herself as someone who is able to take care of herself, even if Stanley does have his way with her?
Essay Topic 2
Spousal abuse is something indirectly addressed in this play. What are some examples of spousal abuse that occur? Why do you think Stella reacts the way she does? Do you think she believes she is being abused? Why or why not? Why does Blanche react the way she does?
Essay Topic 3
Belle Reve seems to be the last straw for Blanche's sanity and her life. But what really happened to Belle Reve? What do you think happened? Why has this affected Blanche in the way that it does? What other explanation could there be for the downfall of Belle Reve?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)