|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the group eventually decide to do with the winged demon?
2. What is done with Kin after her captors change their minds?
3. What destroys the dumbwaiter?
4. What did Kin do that contributed to her being arrested by the locals?
5. What does the group discover at the center of the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the group discover at the ship's crash-site?
2. Where does the Djinnee come from, and what does he do?
3. How is Kin rescued, and what do the characters think about the manner or her rescue?
4. How does Kin escape after the man whom she and the others meet in the desert turns on them?
5. What happens to Kin and the others at the end of this section?
6. What are the man on the flying carpet's real motivations?
7. How do Kin's feelings about the Company begin to change soon after the dumbwaiter is destroyed?
8. Describe the creature put into the cell next to Kin. What does the group eventually learn and speculate about it?
9. What causes the brawl in the Great Hall?
10. How are the explorers greeted when they reach the sailors' homeland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arthur C. Clarke once said that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Technology plays an important part in driving the story, and it affects many situations and characters. The technology that Kin and the others possess is miraculous to the inhabitants of the flat planet. In turn, the technology that runs the planet is miraculous to Kin and the others.
Part 1) Explain the significance of Clarke's quotation about technology to this story. Does the author seem to be aware of this concept? How does that awareness affect the setting?
Part 2) In what major ways does technology play a role in the story? How would these elements of the story be impossible without this highly advanced technology?
Part 3) How does the technology that Kin and the others possess appear to the inhabitants of the flat planet, and how do they react to it?
Part 4) How does the technology that runs the flat planet appear to Kin and the others? How do they react to it, and how does it affect them?
Essay Topic 2
Exploration is a major theme of the novel. Alongside creation, it is presented as one of the defining characteristics of intelligence species. Exploration initiates and ends the story.
Part 1) Outline the importance of exploration in the novel. In what ways does it affect the storyline?
Part 2) Which characters are affected by the drive for exploration? Does it have a positive or negative impact on them?
Part 3) How is the drive for exploration presented as an important feature of intelligent life?
Part 4) How does exploration in this story relate to the concept of creation?
Essay Topic 3
Jago Jalo is an interesting character about whom little is known. Most of his story must be interpolated from a small amount of information in the novel.
Part 1) What was Jago like before he was sent out on the Terminus project? Think about what sort of qualities would qualify someone for a difficult task like this, and what would make a person volunteer for the duty.
Part 2) What were Jago's adventures on the planet like after he crashed? Why was he not accepted as Disc Master, and how was he able to get off the planet?
Part 3) What was Jago's plan upon returning to the planet?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)