|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kin take with her from her hiding place?
2. How is Kin able to communicate remotely with Silver?
3. What is unusual about the demon's appearance?
4. The man whom the characters meet in the desert wants to trade away what kind of an object?
5. The destroyed water pipe is believed to perform what function?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the explorers come to believe about the machinery of the planet?
2. How is Kin rescued, and what do the characters think about the manner or her rescue?
3. What causes the brawl in the Great Hall?
4. How does the group confirm that they are being followed?
5. How is the dumbwaiter destroyed?
6. Describe the creature put into the cell next to Kin. What does the group eventually learn and speculate about it?
7. What is unusual about the first island that Kin and the others come to after leaving the sailors' homeland? What danger does the group face there?
8. What do Kin and Marco resolve to do until Shand proteins can be found for Silver?
9. What happens to Silver as she and the others near the hub?
10. What is unusual about the stars seen from the flat planet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Company is an organization of enormous power. It literally has power over life and death, and wields enormous influence in human culture. Kin's loyalty to the Company affects significant parts of the story.
Part 1) Describe the Company, it's history, and its goals.
Part 2) How well has the Company succeeded in its goals? Have its aims changed at all from the time of its founding?
Part 3) Why is the Company so large and influential? How is the Company's power seen in the story?
Part 4) Explain some of the consequences, both positive and negative, of the Company's enormous influence. Has it changed human society for the better, or for worse?
Essay Topic 2
Terry Pratchett is an author known for his unusual sense of humor, and humorous events often play a critical role in his novels.
Part 1) Describe the general presence and use of humor in the novel. What dramatic purpose does it generally serve?
Part 2) What are some examples of humorous characters or situations that serve no other purpose than to be entertaining? Do these sections contribute in a positive way to the general mood and tone of the story?
Part 3) Describe some humorous characters or situations which drive the plot forward in important ways, or at important times. How does the use of humor affect these situations?
Essay Topic 3
After they crash on the flat planet, Kin and the others interact with its inhabitants in many places and in many different ways. These people, as rough analogues of real historical cultures, serve to illustrate various points that the author wishes to make about those civilizations.
Part 1) Describe the first meeting between the inhabitants of the flat planet and Kin and her companions. What are the results of this exchange? What impression do Kin and the other take away from this experience?
Part 2) Explain the other interactions the explorers have with the locals. How do these compare with their first interactions? Explain ways that the explorer's perceptions of the locals change as a result of later encounters.
Part 3) What impact do the explorers have on the local populations? Explain both immediate and long lasting effects.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)