|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jago Jalo select Kin to see the planet he has discovered?
2. What is the result of the impact that occurs immediately after the ship arrives at the flat planet?
3. Kin wrote a popular book on what subject?
4. The natives that Kin and the others initially meet are similar to what historical culture on Earth?
5. The space suits that Kin and the others don give them what capability?
Short Essay Questions
1. For whom does Kin Arad work, and what does she do?
2. What are Shand proteins, and how are they important to Silver?
3. What does each character do during the journey to the flat planet?
4. What happens to the ship during its approach to the surface, and what is the result of this?
5. Who were the Spindle Kings, and what were they like?
6. What does the Kung bartender's action say about Kin's fame?
7. Why does Kin feel conflicted about going with Jago?
8. What are Kin's interests, outside of her work?
9. What things are unusual about the ship that Jago arranged for the expedition?
10. Describe Silver's appearance and personality. Why is she interested in the flat planet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Immortality is an important component of the universe of the novel. It has saved humanity and allowed the Company to wield vast power over its employees and the entire race.
Part 1) Explain the context of immortality in fiction. What other influential stories include immortality, and how does this affect the plot of those stories? What are common perceptions about and themes surrounding immortality?
Part 2) In this story, how has immortality affected the human race as a whole. Is this change realistic and believable?
Part 3) How does immortality affect the characters and the plot of the novel? Is it an important part of the story? Why or why not?
Part 4) Taken as a whole, have the Company's treatments been good or bad for humanity? Are they good or bad for the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Terry Pratchett is an author known for his unusual sense of humor, and humorous events often play a critical role in his novels.
Part 1) Describe the general presence and use of humor in the novel. What dramatic purpose does it generally serve?
Part 2) What are some examples of humorous characters or situations that serve no other purpose than to be entertaining? Do these sections contribute in a positive way to the general mood and tone of the story?
Part 3) Describe some humorous characters or situations which drive the plot forward in important ways, or at important times. How does the use of humor affect these situations?
Essay Topic 3
Arthur C. Clarke once said that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Technology plays an important part in driving the story, and it affects many situations and characters. The technology that Kin and the others possess is miraculous to the inhabitants of the flat planet. In turn, the technology that runs the planet is miraculous to Kin and the others.
Part 1) Explain the significance of Clarke's quotation about technology to this story. Does the author seem to be aware of this concept? How does that awareness affect the setting?
Part 2) In what major ways does technology play a role in the story? How would these elements of the story be impossible without this highly advanced technology?
Part 3) How does the technology that Kin and the others possess appear to the inhabitants of the flat planet, and how do they react to it?
Part 4) How does the technology that runs the flat planet appear to Kin and the others? How do they react to it, and how does it affect them?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)