|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Becoming a watcher requires what sacrifice?
(a) Never being able to return to Earth.
(b) The forfeiture of all day credits.
(c) Leaving normal human society forever.
(d) The employee must be put to sleep for several generations.
2. Why does Silver go by a nickname?
(a) She only shares her real name with trusted friends.
(b) She has forgotten her real name.
(c) Her name can't be pronounced by humans.
(d) Her name is six syllables long.
3. The Company typically compensates its employees in what way?
(a) By extending their lives.
(b) By granting them secrets about the Spindle Kings.
(c) By allowing them to travel between planets.
(d) By allowing them to colonize new planets.
4. Kin and the others discover what about the history of the flat planet?
(a) It is very similar to Earth's.
(b) It is radically different from Earth's.
(c) No one remembers its history before about a hundred years ago.
(d) There are many obvious contradictions in it.
5. How is the ship piloted down to the planet?
(a) By following a robotic bird.
(b) Through a hole in its atmosphere.
(c) By an automated computer.
(d) By tractor beams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Kin and Jago need to do at the first planet to which they are headed?
2. The Spindle Kings were believed to have created new planets for what purpose?
3. The Great Spindle Kings were believed to have what capability?
4. How is the ship piloted?
5. What is the result of the attack on Kin and the others?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kin feel conflicted about going with Jago?
2. What is unusual about the raven's behavior as the group prepares to leave Kung?
3. Describe the explorers first interactions with the inhabitants of the flat planet.
4. Describe Silver's appearance and personality. Why is she interested in the flat planet?
5. According to Joel, what are the consequences of the forgery of day bills? What does Joel do as a result?
6. How do Kin and the others help the sailors who try to visit them?
7. How did the strata machine chance human history?
8. What are some of the technological resources that the group has at their disposal, and how will these things help them?
9. What does the Kung bartender's action say about Kin's fame?
10. Who were the Spindle Kings, and what were they like?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)