|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kin theorizes that the flow of water on the planet is controlled in what way?
(a) It is not controlled, and the planet is losing water.
(b) By gravity.
(c) By force fields.
(d) By a huge machine.
2. The Company's treatments can extend human life for at least how long?
(a) Five hundred years.
(b) Fifty years.
(c) One hundred years.
(d) Thousands of years.
3. Kin Arad works for which of the following groups?
(a) The Computers.
(b) The Spindle Kings.
(c) The Builders.
(d) The Company.
4. Within the company, how is the position of "watcher" regarded?
(a) It is a very high-ranking position.
(b) It is a way to get into upper management.
(c) It is not ideal.
(d) It is a very low-ranking position.
5. What do Kin and Jago need to do at the first planet to which they are headed?
(a) Find a crew for their ship.
(b) Meet with Jago's employer.
(c) Escape from the Company's oversight.
(d) Meet up with the ship that will go to the flat planet.
6. Which of the following best describes the first reactions of the flat planet's inhabitants to Kin and her companions?
(b) Hatred and violence.
(c) A total lack of interest.
(d) Curiosity and civility.
7. What does Jago want from Kin?
(a) He wants her to build a planet for him.
(b) He wants her to see the flat planet.
(c) He wants her to pilot his ship to the flat planet.
(d) He wants to buy her day credits.
8. What does a "watcher" do?
(a) Monitors the Terminus project.
(b) Looks for evidence of the Spindle Kings.
(c) Watches the progress of colonists on a new world.
(d) Oversees the creation of new planets.
9. How many day bills does Kin Arad have?
(a) Almost none.
(b) She owes a significant number to the company.
(c) Many more than she needs for the time being.
(d) Enough to last for the next year, and no more.
10. The natives that Kin and the others initially meet are similar to what historical culture on Earth?
(a) The Mongols.
(b) The ancient Greeks.
(c) The Vikings.
(d) The Romans.
11. The Spindle Kings were believed to have what characteristic?
(a) They lived in vast hive cities.
(b) They had an insect-like colony system.
(c) They prefered to be alone.
(d) They were extremely warlike.
12. What do Kin and the others do with Jago?
(a) They check him into a hospital.
(b) They leave him on the flight pad.
(c) They dispose of his body.
(d) They place him in a medical sphere for later recovery.
13. The Spindle Kings were believed to have created new planets for what purpose?
(a) To escape their dying planet.
(c) So they could be more alone.
(d) To create new kinds of life.
14. Marco shows the native people how to use the dumbwaiter by helping them program it to make what?
(a) Roast pork.
15. The native people agree to do what for Kin and her companions?
(a) Protect them.
(b) Help repair the spaceship using the dumbwaiter.
(c) Trade with them.
(d) Take them to their homeland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is strange about the stars at the destination?
2. What was the profession of Marco's real parents?
3. What is the result of the attack on Kin and the others?
4. Kin thinks that the humans on the flat planet suspect which of the following?
5. After the explorers and the sailors are attacked during the trip to the sailor's homeland, Kin draws what conclusion about the attackers?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)