|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a "watcher" do?
(a) Looks for evidence of the Spindle Kings.
(b) Monitors the Terminus project.
(c) Watches the progress of colonists on a new world.
(d) Oversees the creation of new planets.
2. What is the relationship between the Wheelers and the Spindle Kings?
(a) They signed a treaty, but the Wheelers mysteriously disappeared.
(b) The Wheelers wiped out the Spindle Kings.
(c) The Spindle Kings gave advanced technology to the Wheelers.
(d) The Wheelers predated the Spindle Kings.
3. The Company's treatments can extend human life for at least how long?
(a) Five hundred years.
(b) Thousands of years.
(c) One hundred years.
(d) Fifty years.
4. Why does Jago have a heart attack?
(a) Kin yells at him.
(b) Silver frightens him.
(c) The raven attacks him.
(d) He can't handle the ships acceleration.
5. Kin thinks that the humans on the flat planet suspect which of the following?
(a) The ship is an instrument of the devil.
(b) Their planet is flat.
(c) The ship is an alien craft.
(d) Their planet is artificial.
6. What does Silver learn about by studying Kin's books?
(a) Kin's work with the Company.
(b) The history of humanity.
(c) The history of the Spindle Kings and the Wheelers.
(d) Kin's life-story.
7. What race is Silver?
8. What does Jago want from Kin?
(a) He wants to buy her day credits.
(b) He wants her to pilot his ship to the flat planet.
(c) He wants her to build a planet for him.
(d) He wants her to see the flat planet.
9. Who joins Kin Arad at the lounge?
(b) Jago Jalo.
(d) Marco Farfarer.
10. What is Silver's profession?
11. What is Kin Arad's job?
(a) To edit histoy books.
(b) To pilot space probes.
(c) To oversee the creation of new planets.
(d) To manage the Disc.
12. Becoming a watcher requires what sacrifice?
(a) The employee must be put to sleep for several generations.
(b) Leaving normal human society forever.
(c) Never being able to return to Earth.
(d) The forfeiture of all day credits.
13. Which of the following is true of the duration of the journey to the flat planet?
(a) It takes less time than anyone could have expected.
(b) Kin and the others must stop several times to have the ship fixed.
(c) The ship travels there instantaneously.
(d) It takes a long time.
14. After taking the shuttle, how does Kin get to the ship arranged for her by Jago?
(a) By train.
(b) On foot.
(c) By hovercraft.
(d) By boat.
15. Why does Kin decide to go with Jago?
(a) She needs to flee from the Company.
(d) The Company orders her to go.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is strange about the stars at the destination?
2. The Spindle Kings were believed to have what characteristic?
3. Why does Silver go by a nickname?
4. After the explorers and the sailors are attacked during the trip to the sailor's homeland, Kin draws what conclusion about the attackers?
5. Without day credits, employees of the Company would suffer what effects?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)