|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts Anne and Guy and when she questions if he wants to be with her?
2. Where does Anne say Guy was when Miriam was murdered?
3. Why does Gerard think he can crack Guy?
4. What is the name of Owen's wife?
5. Who does Guy feel he can never hug again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Guy panic about Bruno in this section?
2. How does Guy lie to Anne in chapter 37?
3. What does Anne confront Guy about in this section?
4. Describe Guy's dream.
5. Describe how Guy tries to save Bruno?
6. How is the alcohol beginning to affect Bruno?
7. Why does Bruno tell Gerrard is his relationship with Mrs. Haines?
8. In what way are both Bruno and Guy as guilty as each other at this point in the story?
9. What did Guys mother tell him about good and evil?
10. Why does Bruno think Matt may take the rap for his father's murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Bruno's mother play in "Strangers on a Train"? How would the book change if she was not part of it? What effect does her presence in the story have on the other character?
Essay Topic 2
How does Bruno make sure Gary says nothing about the murders? What do you think would have happened if Guy had mentioned something to the police earlier?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of "Strangers on a Train".
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)