|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous philosopher is Guy reading?
2. What does Bruno say he has many ideas for?
3. Who informs Guy of Miriam's death?
4. Where does Bruno tell his friends he is going before he catches the train to Metcalf?
5. Who does Guy remember that he once thought of murdering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the main differences between Bruno and Guy?
2. How does Bruno try to persuade Guy to kill his father in chapter 20?
3. What does Guy feel about the first letter Bruno sends him?
4. Why does Guy think Miriam is an example of the worst of America?
5. What kind of person do the police think killed Samuel Bruno?
6. Describe how Guy kills Bruno's father?
7. What does Bruno say about murder in this section?
8. How does Bruno use Anne to persuade Guy to kill his father?
9. Why does the coroner finally decide Guy has nothing to do with Miriam's murder?
10. What does Bruno reveal about himself in this opening section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
Essay Topic 2
What does Bruno see in Guy that he likes? Why is Guy able to eventually to return his friendship?
Essay Topic 3
How does Bruno make sure Gary says nothing about the murders? What do you think would have happened if Guy had mentioned something to the police earlier?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)