|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two words does the author use to describe the rhythm of the train?
2. Why does Bruno's mother wake him at 4 am?
3. What does Guy decide to have to make him more alert for the murder?
4. What kind of architecture does Bruno say one mostly finds in Santa Fe?
5. What does Bruno say holds no terror to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Bruno's letters affect Guy in this section?
2. How does Guy cover Bruno's real identity to his mother?
3. Why does the coroner finally decide Guy has nothing to do with Miriam's murder?
4. How does Guy react to the news that Miriam has had a miscarriage?
5. Describe Bruno's father's hobby.
6. What does Bruno reveal about himself in this opening section?
7. What joke did William pull in the Plaza?
8. In what way is Bruno's drinking the catalyst for him killing Miriam?
9. What are the main differences between Bruno and Guy?
10. How does Bruno try to persuade Guy to kill his father in chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of "Strangers on a Train".
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Bruno's mother play in "Strangers on a Train"? How would the book change if she was not part of it? What effect does her presence in the story have on the other character?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)