|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Guy decide to have to make him more alert for the murder?
2. In which country is Anne currently staying?
3. What is the name of the street Miriam lives on?
4. What does Guy ask Bruno for when he enters the dining carriage?
5. Where does Bruno tell his friends he is going before he catches the train to Metcalf?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bruno try to persuade Guy to kill his father in chapter 20?
2. What does Bruno think about Guy at the end of chapter 25?
3. What are Guy's feelings for Miriam when he meets her in this section?
4. How does Bruno kill Miriam?
5. How does Guy react to Miriam's death?
6. Why is Bruno enraged with Guy in this section?
7. How does Bruno use Anne to persuade Guy to kill his father?
8. How does Guy react to the news that Miriam has had a miscarriage?
9. How does Bruno let Guy know that he has killed Anne?
10. Describe Bruno's father's hobby.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Apart from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does she introduce them and take them away from the story? How do they add to the narrative and structure? What affect does they have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of "Strangers on a Train".
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
How does the conscience of Bruno and Guy each affect them? How does Bruno try to hide the fact that he has a conscience?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)