|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Guy think he feels such shame?
2. What is the name of Miriam's new lover?
3. How does Guy think he can set up Bruno for his father's death?
4. What does Bruno send Guy as a present?
5. In which country is Anne currently staying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Guy's first impression of Bruno?
2. How does Bruno let Guy know that he has killed Anne?
3. How does Bruno try to persuade Guy to kill his father in chapter 20?
4. What does Bruno say about murder in this section?
5. Why does the coroner finally decide Guy has nothing to do with Miriam's murder?
6. Describe Bruno's father's hobby.
7. What does Bruno think about Guy at the end of chapter 25?
8. How does Guy react to the news that Miriam has had a miscarriage?
9. Describe how Guy kills Bruno's father?
10. How does Anne react when Guy tells her about the difficulties he is having with Anne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Bruno's mother play in "Strangers on a Train"? How would the book change if she was not part of it? What effect does her presence in the story have on the other character?
Essay Topic 2
How do Guy and Bruno cope differently with their guilt? What does the way they cope with their guilt suggest about their characters?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)