|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the Indian immigrants attempting to escape in India?
2. Why did Filipino immigrants come to Hawaii?
3. When did the first wave of Asian immigration begin?
4. What were Asian workers issued that took the place of dollars?
5. What made Chinese immigrants a threat to the mining industry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What business did William Hoper run? Who did he hire to help run his business?
2. Who were the only Chinese men allowed to bring their wives to the United States?
3. What are blood unions and what did they later become?
4. Why did Korean immigrants clash with Japanese immigrants in America.
5. What name does Takaki give to Asian labor forces and where does the name come from?
6. Who did The Chinese Six Companies support when China became a communist country?
7. How did the second generation of Koreans born in America differ from their parents?
8. What is the life of a first generation immigrant like in America?
9. How did the coupon payment system work and what was wrong with it?
10. Why did the sugar plantations treat their workers well? How did they treat them well?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briefly discuss Marx's economic theory and how it influenced Takaki. Define the term industrial reserve army and how Takaki uses it in his book.
Essay Topic 2
Chinese immigrants aided in building the American railroad. Explain how Chinese immigrants came to work on the railroad and what struggles they faced while doing so.
Essay Topic 3
What caused Filipino immigrants to arrive in America? Compare and contrast their experience with one other group of Asian immigrants. What were the Filipinos' experiences in California?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)