|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a credit ticket?
2. Why did very few Chinese immigrants return to China according to The Chinese Six Companies?
3. Who did William Hoper find to be productive workers?
4. What were the Indian immigrants attempting to escape in India?
5. What does diversity in the work place accomplish according to Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hawaiian business owners began hiring workers other then Chinese immigrants?
2. How did Hawaiian men bring Asian women to Hawaii?
3. What were the effects of the big earthquake in 1906?
4. Why did the Japanese limit Korean immigration?
5. What major ruling by the courts in 1910 effected Asian Indians and who overturned the decision?
6. Who were the only Chinese men allowed to bring their wives to the United States?
7. How did the Japanese become the largest voting block in Hawaii?
8. What are blood unions and what did they later become?
9. Approximately how many Asians arrived in Hawaii between 1850 and 1920, and where did they work?
10. How were Chinese immigrants victimized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briefly discuss Marx's economic theory and how it influenced Takaki. Define the term industrial reserve army and how Takaki uses it in his book.
Essay Topic 2
Define the literary term genre. Explain which genre this book fits into and why.
Essay Topic 3
What role did Chinese female immigrants play in Takaki's book? How were women treated and what employment did they find?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)