|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Takaki's family been in America?
2. What did the husbands force their Japanese brides to wear upon their arrival to Hawaii?
3. Who believed that the Japanese should have the goal of being settlers?
4. Which policy worker called for the use of Chinese workers on the transcontinental railroad?
5. In what city in California did Chinese immigrants build China Town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the environment Takaki grew up in.
2. How were Japanese immigrants similar and different then Chinese immigrants?
3. How did the Japanese become the largest voting block in Hawaii?
4. How did the second generation of Koreans born in America differ from their parents?
5. What was the cause of Anti-Filipino sentiment and what did it lead to?
6. Define the Tongs and the Fongs.
7. Why did Vietnamese immigrants arrive in America and where did they live when they first arrived?
8. How did Asian Indians tend to dress and how did this lead to racial slurs?
9. What ethnic group does Takaki assert is the fastest growing population in the United States and why?
10. How did Hawaiian men bring Asian women to Hawaii?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the sugar mills influence Hawaii's economy? Describe how the sugar mills effected the local population and how immigration changed the industry.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of picture brides for immigrants. Also, describe the experience of the brides upon their arrival in America.
Essay Topic 3
Who are Lung On and Ing Hay? Why did Takaki elect to include their story in his book? What contribution did they make to Asian immigration?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)