|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Japanese women work in America?
2. What was the American Land and Produce Company?
3. In what city in California did Chinese immigrants build China Town?
4. What types of businesses did Japanese immigrants open?
5. What did immigrants think about Hawaii? Why did they go there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Japanese limit Korean immigration?
2. How did the second generation of Koreans born in America differ from their parents?
3. How did Chinese immigrants come to work on the Transcontinental Railroad in 1848?
4. Why did Hawaiian business owners began hiring workers other then Chinese immigrants?
5. What did the McCarran-Watter Act declare?
6. What did Filipino immigrants do when they lived in Alaska?
7. What business did William Hoper run? Who did he hire to help run his business?
8. Why did Filipinos immigrate to America?
9. In what neighborhoods did Korean immigrants live in?
10. Describe Takaki's college experience. How was he treated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the 1910 The Alien Land Law. Who enacted this law effect and why? Why did America choose to enforce this act? What was America threatened with?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Asian immigrants feel the need to strike? What conditions were they fighting for? Did any of their strikes succeed? Why did so many strikes fail?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of picture brides for immigrants. Also, describe the experience of the brides upon their arrival in America.
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)