|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was put into place to protect Chinese immigrants but ultimately did not work?
2. Who believed that the Japanese should have the goal of being settlers?
3. How many Chinese workers were hired to work on the railways in 1865?
4. At what grade did education stop for plantation worker's children?
5. What were Chinese immigrants subjected to by American citizens, according to Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the life of a first generation immigrant like in America?
2. What was the major industry Filipino immigrants became involved in?
3. How did WWII change America?
4. Describe the environment Takaki grew up in.
5. What issues did both Filipino and Korean professionals have when trying to find work in America?
6. Why did Filipino workers strike and what was the outcome of the strikes?
7. During what years did Korean immigrants arrive in the United States and why?
8. Describe the Chinese immigrants' experience with the Central Pacific Railroad.
9. What major ruling by the courts in 1910 effected Asian Indians and who overturned the decision?
10. Why did Takaki write this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Takaki's life and what events led him to write this book. How does he incorporate his own life into his book?
Essay Topic 2
Define the literary term genre. Explain which genre this book fits into and why.
Essay Topic 3
Which country colonized Korea and what was Korea's opinion of that colonization? What is the Korean independence movement? How did the colonization of Korea lead to Korean immigration to America?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)