|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did William Hoper find to be unproductive workers at his sugar mill?
2. Why did Abiko Kyutaro return to Japan prior to moving permanently to America?
3. When did William Hoper open his sugar mill?
4. What were blood unions based upon?
5. What jobs did female Chinese immigrants hold according to Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Takaki's college experience. How was he treated?
2. Where did Filipinos come from and why were they considered American citizens?
3. Describe the Chinese immigrants' experience with the Central Pacific Railroad.
4. What happened when the Asian brides arrived in America? What were their reactions?
5. How were Chinese immigrants victimized?
6. What business did William Hoper run? Who did he hire to help run his business?
7. What did the McCarran-Watter Act declare?
8. Where did Asian immigrants tend to move to in America?
9. How did Asian Indians tend to dress and how did this lead to racial slurs?
10. Who is Abiko Kyutaro and what did he accomplish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the sugar mills influence Hawaii's economy? Describe how the sugar mills effected the local population and how immigration changed the industry.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the work conditions many immigrants faced. Are they similar tp or different from the working conditions immigrants face today? Why was it difficult for immigrants to change working conditions?
Essay Topic 3
The Chinese Six Companies played a major role in the lives of Chinese immigrants. Explain how the Chinese Six Companies formed and their impact on Asian immigration.
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)