|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What valley did the author grow up in?
2. When did Hawaiian planters begin hiring nationalities other then the Chinese?
3. Why did Abiko Kyutaro return to Japan prior to moving permanently to America?
4. How many Asians arrived in Hawaii between 1850 and 1920?
5. What was the ethnic composition where the author grew up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ethnic group does Takaki assert is the fastest growing population in the United States and why?
2. Why did Filipino workers strike and what was the outcome of the strikes?
3. How did WWII change America?
4. In what neighborhoods did Korean immigrants live in?
5. What is partnership farming and who participated?
6. What work did Chinese female immigrants find in America?
7. What were the effects of the big earthquake in 1906?
8. Why did Korean immigrants clash with Japanese immigrants in America.
9. Describe Takaki's college experience. How was he treated?
10. What business did William Hoper run? Who did he hire to help run his business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chinese immigrants aided in building the American railroad. Explain how Chinese immigrants came to work on the railroad and what struggles they faced while doing so.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Abiko Kyutaro and the Yamato Colony? How did this man have an impact on Asian Immigration? How did the American government try to stop his colony? Did they succeed?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Takaki's life and what events led him to write this book. How does he incorporate his own life into his book?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)