|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, pg. 79-112.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Chinese workers were hired to work on the railways in 1865?
2. Why did Hawaiian planters begin to hire nationalities other then Chinese?
(a) The Chinese immigration rates decreased.
(b) There was a strike.
(c) Other people applied for the job.
(d) To keep unions out.
3. Why did Japanese people immigrate to the United States according to Takaki?
(a) To make a higher wage.
(b) To escape criminal charages.
(c) To escape harsh rulers.
(d) For a change of scenery.
4. Why does Takaki assert that Asian immigrants opened their own businesses?
(a) Work ethic.
(b) Exclusion from labor force.
(c) Lack of taxes.
(d) Government assistance.
5. What industry did many Chinese immigrants move to the United States for?
(a) Diamond mining.
(b) Coal mining.
(c) Gold mining.
(d) Steel mining.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Takaki go to college?
2. After the mining industry turned their back on the Chinese, what industry did they turn to?
3. What was the ethnic composition where the author grew up?
4. When did the Indian population begin to grow in Hawaii?
5. Who did the foreign miners' license tax apply to?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)