Chapter 1, pgs. 3-20
• Chapter 1, pg 3-20
• The author grew up in Oahu, Hawaii.
• Asians are one of the fastest growing ethnic groups in America.
• Asian growth rate surpassed those of Hispanics in 1970-1980.
• There were two waves of Asian immigration: the first ended with the Immigration Act of 1924 and the second began with the Immigration Act of 1965.
• During World War II, Japanese Americans were held in internment camps.
Chapter 2, pg. 21-53
• Chapter 2, pg. 21-53
• William Hoper opened his sugar business in 1835.
• He began to employ Chinese immigrants and found them to be better workers.
• Aaron H. Palmer called for the use of Chinese laborers to build the railroads.
• When employers became too dependent on one set of immigrants, they would change to another group. This kept any one block from becoming powerful.
• In the 1860s, there were labor shortages. Asian workers were brought in to meet the demands...
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)