|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about the American Falls at Niagara made a big impression on Helen?
2. What is Helen's favorite pastime when she is not reading?
3. How old was Helen when she had her first public controversy?
4. Why were the algebra and geometry sections of Helen's final exams difficult for Helen?
5. Why might it not be surprising that Helen learned to like studying Latin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Helen took an extra year before she went to Radcliffe? Do you believe this was a good or bad decision? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Helen believes that education is best approached when it is done in a joyful and leisurely fashion? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In looking at Helen's experience at Gilman's school the second year, what aspects do you think led to the conflict? Which events do you think were Helen's doing? Which do you think were the schools? Do you think it was justified to remove her from the school? Why or why not?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)