|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made math more difficult for Helen?
2. How many sessions did Helen have to learn the elements of speech?
3. Which of the following terms best describes how Helen attacked learning Latin?
4. What is Helen's favorite pastime when she is not reading?
5. What was Helen accused of doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you consider to be the main theme of this novel? Why do you think this is the theme? In what ways does this theme extend beyond the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe Helen had to learn the strategy of applying herself to something that does not interest her? Did you also have to learn this strategy? If so, why? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe the trip to Baltimore was such an important part of Helen's life? Why do you think she is able to clearly remember the amount of detail so many years later? Have you ever experienced an event like this? If so, describe it. If not, why not?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)