|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen indicate is the only thing that great poetry needs for interpretation?
2. Why might it not be surprising that Helen learned to like studying Latin?
3. How does Helen describe the Bible?
4. What did Mr. Gilman want Anne and Helen to do?
5. How did Helen respond to the controversy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the trip to Baltimore was such an important part of Helen's life? Why do you think she is able to clearly remember the amount of detail so many years later? Have you ever experienced an event like this? If so, describe it. If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think math was particularly difficult for Helen? Do you think there would be any aspects of math that would be easier than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What would you consider to be the main theme of this novel? Why do you think this is the theme? In what ways does this theme extend beyond the novel?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)