|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Helen learn to talk?
2. What characters does Helen have empathy for in great literature?
3. Why doesn't Helen take notes during classes?
4. Why did Helen and Anne decide she should attend the Wright-Humason School for the Deaf?
5. What types of books did Helen dislike reading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Helen believes that education is best approached when it is done in a joyful and leisurely fashion? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Helen change throughout the novel? In what ways did she remain the same? Do you think Helen herself recognized how she changed or did it just become more apparent to others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What would you consider to be the main theme of this novel? Why do you think this is the theme? In what ways does this theme extend beyond the novel?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)