|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why weren't many people near where Helen lived aware of resources for the blind and deaf?
2. What causes Helen's feelings of pain for the other students to pass quickly?
3. Who best understood Helen's first limited sign language?
4. Why might nature seem to be more menacing to Helen?
5. Which of the following could be considered the theme of chapter five?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Helen become restless and frustrated?
2. How did Helen feel about many of her professors' methods for teaching the great works of literature?
3. At age nine, what did Helen experience for the first time?
4. Where did Helen attend school for the next two years?
5. What ashamed Helen about her math classes at Gilman's school?
6. After the fever what memories about sight and sound did Helen have left?
7. What allowed Helen to forget all of the controversy about her plagiarism?
8. Why did Anne take Helen outside when she went into a rage and broke her new doll?
9. What was a first for Helen when she attended Cambridge School for Young Ladies?
10. What became one of Helen's favorite pastimes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In looking at Helen's experience at Gilman's school the second year, what aspects do you think led to the conflict? Which events do you think were Helen's doing? Which do you think were the schools? Do you think it was justified to remove her from the school? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways was Helen's development similar to that of a so called normal child? In what ways was her development different? Do you think that she skipped any developmental milestones that other children experienced?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did Helen's intelligence and talent serve her well? In what ways did Helen's intelligence and talent cause her frustration and rage?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)