|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Helen learn to fear?
2. What astounded Helen when she woke up Christmas morning?
3. What season is it when Helen and her family travel for their vacation?
4. What caused Helen to get scared while she was on vacation with Anne?
5. Which of the following best describes Helen's first nineteen months of life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Helen arrived at the Perkins Institute and how did that make her feel?
2. What was Helen doing when Anne taught her the concept of what it meant to think?
3. How did Helen feel about Shakespeare and how did her feelings change from the time she was a child to an young adult?
4. How did Helen's friends react to her desire to learn to speak and why did they react this way?
5. Who was Helen's father and mother and what information does she share about them?
6. How did Helen feel about her Latin lessons?
7. What disappointed Helen about her time at the Wright-Humason School for the Deaf?
8. What happened as a result of Helen's inability to express herself?
9. How did Helen feel about other writers?
10. Where did Helen spend her winters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think books played such an important part in Helen's life? What plays the most important part in your life? Why do you think that is the case?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Helen change throughout the novel? In what ways did she remain the same? Do you think Helen herself recognized how she changed or did it just become more apparent to others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways was Helen's development similar to that of a so called normal child? In what ways was her development different? Do you think that she skipped any developmental milestones that other children experienced?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)