|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was this novel first published?
2. In what year was Helen born?
3. What did Helen consider to be one of her favorite childhood pastimes?
4. What was Sullivan trying to teach Helen the difference between when Helen became extremely frustrated?
5. What does Helen indicate she felt after he tantrums passed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Helen, Mildred and Miss Sullivan as they tried to find their way home when they were lost in the woods?
2. What did Helen find frustrating about her second year at Gilman's school?
3. How did Helen take her preliminary exams to enter Radcliffe College?
4. When Helen began reading her first book, how did she start out?
5. What did Anne Sullivan begin to do as soon as she arrived at Helen's home?
6. After Helen learned and understood the spellings for things that first day, how did she go to bed that night?
7. What happened to Helen's canary?
8. In her final chapter, who does Helen have unkind words for?
9. When Helen's parents took her to Baltimore, how did Helen feel about the trip?
10. Who was Helen's father and mother and what information does she share about them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways was Helen's development similar to that of a so called normal child? In what ways was her development different? Do you think that she skipped any developmental milestones that other children experienced?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe that Helen gives Anne the appropriate credit, too much credit or too little credit? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think books played such an important part in Helen's life? What plays the most important part in your life? Why do you think that is the case?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)