|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Helen allowed to do for the first time with the Tuscumbia school children?
2. What was Helen most interested in that she visited while on her trip?
3. What did Helen begin to learn as soon as she could fingerspell some words?
4. What did Helen need to learn about the spellings Annie was completing in her hand?
5. How old was Helen when she wrote this novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gave Kate hope for Helen?
2. How did Helen take her preliminary exams to enter Radcliffe College?
3. How was Helen able to learn some of the basics of geography and what did she think she was actually doing?
4. What animal did Helen find on the beach and what did she do with it?
5. How did Helen feel about other writers?
6. How did Helen spend her days when she was with her family at Fern Quarry?
7. How did Helen's friends react to her desire to learn to speak and why did they react this way?
8. How did Helen's tantrums change and how did this make most of her family and friends feel?
9. What is The Story of My Life and when was it written?
10. Where did Helen spend her winters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think math was particularly difficult for Helen? Do you think there would be any aspects of math that would be easier than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How did Helen learn to systematically work through something that would not offer her immediate gratification? What in her young life prepared her her for this type of work?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think there would be many times throughout Helen's life that she would be accused of being less than genuine? Do you think these judgments were fair? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)