|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen indicate Sullivan's arrival freed her from?
2. What was the first the first word Helen connected with the spelling?
3. What was Helen doing when Anne tapped her forehead and spelled think?
4. Where did Helen's parents take her to see a famous eye doctor?
5. Who else in Helen's family seemed to be verbally gifted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What allowed Helen to forget all of the controversy about her plagiarism?
2. What were the big events that Helen was able to participate in during 1893?
3. What had Helen accomplished by the time she was age thirteen?
4. What happened to Helen the first time she was in the ocean?
5. What happened during the rest of the summer as Helen's vocabulary grew?
6. What happened when Helen wrote her very first story?
7. How did Helen spend her days when she was with her family at Fern Quarry?
8. What happened when Helen arrived at the Perkins Institute and how did that make her feel?
9. How did Helen feel about Shakespeare and how did her feelings change from the time she was a child to an young adult?
10. How did Helen sometimes feel toward her peers and why did she feel this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think math was particularly difficult for Helen? Do you think there would be any aspects of math that would be easier than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the trip to Baltimore was such an important part of Helen's life? Why do you think she is able to clearly remember the amount of detail so many years later? Have you ever experienced an event like this? If so, describe it. If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Helen was never satisfied with the level she had attained with regards to education? Do you think had she not lost her sight and hearing she would have had the same drive? Why or why not?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)