|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else in Helen's family seemed to be verbally gifted?
2. What was the first thing Sullivan begin to teach Helen?
3. What biblical feature does Helen equate Anne Sullivan with?
4. Learning these finger spellings could be said to be what for Helen?
5. How did Helen feel as her vocabulary increased?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Helen arrived at the Perkins Institute and how did that make her feel?
2. What happened during the rest of the summer as Helen's vocabulary grew?
3. What became one of Helen's favorite pastimes?
4. What were two of the chores that Helen was able to do for her mother?
5. How did Helen feel about Shakespeare and how did her feelings change from the time she was a child to an young adult?
6. How did Helen feel about Anne's attempts to teach her the manual alphabet?
7. How did Helen sometimes feel toward her peers and why did she feel this way?
8. How did Helen's friends react to her desire to learn to speak and why did they react this way?
9. Who was Helen's father and mother and what information does she share about them?
10. What were the big events that Helen was able to participate in during 1893?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining in what ways Helen was fortunate to be born into the family she was. How did her parents support and help her? Why might other families not be able to do the same things?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think there would be many times throughout Helen's life that she would be accused of being less than genuine? Do you think these judgments were fair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what way was the account in this autobiography different from any personal background knowledge you had previously about Helen Keller? Why do you think it may be different?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)