|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Helen's temperament served her well to help her overcome obstacles?
2. What did Helen indicate she did not know about Pilgrims at the time?
3. How old was Helen when she became blind and deaf?
4. What took Helen's sight and hearing?
5. What did daily immersion in language allow Helen to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was a first for Helen when she attended Cambridge School for Young Ladies?
2. How did Helen feel about Anne's attempts to teach her the manual alphabet?
3. Why did Helen become restless and frustrated?
4. How did Helen spend her days when she was with her family at Fern Quarry?
5. What did Helen find frustrating about her second year at Gilman's school?
6. What allowed Helen to forget all of the controversy about her plagiarism?
7. After the fever what memories about sight and sound did Helen have left?
8. What were some of the activities that Martha and Helen would do together?
9. What disappointed Helen about her time at the Wright-Humason School for the Deaf?
10. What was the progression of Helen's learning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Helen would have been able to continue her studies if Anne had had to accept a different position? What do you think was Anne's influence on Helen's studies?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Helen's disposition help her to lead a successful life? Do you think her temperament was always a positive feature? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Helen took an extra year before she went to Radcliffe? Do you believe this was a good or bad decision? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)