|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Helen to get scared while she was on vacation with Anne?
2. What was the first book Helen read from?
3. What was Anne sent to do with Helen?
4. What did Helen indicate she did not know about Pilgrims at the time?
5. Where is Fern Quarry located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Helen's friends react to her desire to learn to speak and why did they react this way?
2. What happened to Helen's approach to religion after Bishop Brooks died?
3. What were some of the activities that Martha and Helen would do together?
4. Why did Helen become restless and frustrated?
5. When Helen's parents took her to Baltimore, how did Helen feel about the trip?
6. How did Helen feel about her Latin lessons?
7. What happened when Helen arrived at the Perkins Institute and how did that make her feel?
8. What did Anne Sullivan begin to do as soon as she arrived at Helen's home?
9. How did Helen feel about many of her professors' methods for teaching the great works of literature?
10. How did Helen begin to learn how to read?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Helen believes that education is best approached when it is done in a joyful and leisurely fashion? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Helen change throughout the novel? In what ways did she remain the same? Do you think Helen herself recognized how she changed or did it just become more apparent to others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Helen was never satisfied with the level she had attained with regards to education? Do you think had she not lost her sight and hearing she would have had the same drive? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)