|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Helen and Anne vacation after leaving Boston?
2. Who best understood Helen's first limited sign language?
3. Where did Helen visit in May of 1888?
4. Where did Anne and Helen often take walks?
5. How old was Helen when she wrote this novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is The Story of My Life and when was it written?
2. How does Helen describe her feelings about her tree friends?
3. In her final chapter, who does Helen have unkind words for?
4. What were some of the activities that Martha and Helen would do together?
5. What was Helen doing when Anne taught her the concept of what it meant to think?
6. How did Helen feel about Anne's attempts to teach her the manual alphabet?
7. What caused Helen great pain at first at the Perkins Institute and then what changed her mind?
8. How did Helen feel about her Latin lessons?
9. When Helen's parents took her to Baltimore, how did Helen feel about the trip?
10. What happened nine months after Anne Sullivan arrived at Helen's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In looking at Helen's experience at Gilman's school the second year, what aspects do you think led to the conflict? Which events do you think were Helen's doing? Which do you think were the schools? Do you think it was justified to remove her from the school? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Helen was never satisfied with the level she had attained with regards to education? Do you think had she not lost her sight and hearing she would have had the same drive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe Helen had to learn the strategy of applying herself to something that does not interest her? Did you also have to learn this strategy? If so, why? If not, why not?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)