|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen indicate Sullivan's arrival freed her from?
2. What did Helen ask Anne about the ocean?
3. Why weren't many people near where Helen lived aware of resources for the blind and deaf?
4. What biblical feature does Helen equate Anne Sullivan with?
5. What was Helen doing when Anne tapped her forehead and spelled think?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Helen accomplished by the time she was age thirteen?
2. How did Helen's tantrums change and how did this make most of her family and friends feel?
3. What happened to Helen the first time she was in the ocean?
4. Why did Anne take Helen outside when she went into a rage and broke her new doll?
5. What is The Story of My Life and when was it written?
6. How did Helen feel about Anne's attempts to teach her the manual alphabet?
7. How did Helen feel about other writers?
8. In what way did Helen consider herself lucky in regards to nature?
9. What happened to Helen when she was waiting for Anne to bring Helen lunch?
10. What position did Helen hold in the family and how was she treated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe Helen had to learn the strategy of applying herself to something that does not interest her? Did you also have to learn this strategy? If so, why? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Helen believes that education is best approached when it is done in a joyful and leisurely fashion? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Helen took an extra year before she went to Radcliffe? Do you believe this was a good or bad decision? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)