|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Helen, Mildred and Anne do when the train approached?
2. How did Helen feel as her vocabulary increased?
3. Where was the Perkins Institute located?
4. What was the first abstract term Helen learned to understand?
5. At whose home did Helen and Anne stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Helen's parents took her to Baltimore, how did Helen feel about the trip?
2. What was a first for Helen when she attended Cambridge School for Young Ladies?
3. After the fever what memories about sight and sound did Helen have left?
4. What is The Story of My Life and when was it written?
5. What were some of the things Helen enjoyed doing outside when she wasn't reading?
6. What had Helen accomplished by the time she was age thirteen?
7. Why did Anne take Helen outside when she went into a rage and broke her new doll?
8. What happened nine months after Anne Sullivan arrived at Helen's home?
9. How did Helen feel about Shakespeare and how did her feelings change from the time she was a child to an young adult?
10. Why did Helen become restless and frustrated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think books played such an important part in Helen's life? What plays the most important part in your life? Why do you think that is the case?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Helen was never satisfied with the level she had attained with regards to education? Do you think had she not lost her sight and hearing she would have had the same drive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did Helen change throughout the novel? In what ways did she remain the same? Do you think Helen herself recognized how she changed or did it just become more apparent to others? Why or why not?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)