|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did daily immersion in language allow Helen to do?
2. What was the first thing Sullivan begin to teach Helen?
3. What did Helen learn to fear?
4. What did Helen begin to learn as soon as she could fingerspell some words?
5. What subject did Helen not like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Helen doing when Anne taught her the concept of what it meant to think?
2. What happened nine months after Anne Sullivan arrived at Helen's home?
3. What happened to Helen's canary?
4. What happened as a result of the plagiarizing incident for Helen?
5. What had Helen accomplished by the time she was age thirteen?
6. What became one of Helen's favorite pastimes?
7. Where did Helen attend school for the next two years?
8. What did Anne Sullivan begin to do as soon as she arrived at Helen's home?
9. What happened to Helen when she was waiting for Anne to bring Helen lunch?
10. What happened to Helen's approach to religion after Bishop Brooks died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that Helen gives Anne the appropriate credit, too much credit or too little credit? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
What would you consider to be the main theme of this novel? Why do you think this is the theme? In what ways does this theme extend beyond the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining in what ways Helen was fortunate to be born into the family she was. How did her parents support and help her? Why might other families not be able to do the same things?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)