|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Helen need to learn about the spellings Annie was completing in her hand?
2. What did Helen's aunt make for her?
3. In what area did Helen have a lot of catching up to do?
4. What did Helen consider to be one of her favorite childhood pastimes?
5. What did Helen compare the trip she took to?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Helen learned and understood the spellings for things that first day, how did she go to bed that night?
2. How did Helen feel about many of her professors' methods for teaching the great works of literature?
3. In her final chapter, who does Helen have unkind words for?
4. What happened nine months after Anne Sullivan arrived at Helen's home?
5. What were some of the activities that Martha and Helen would do together?
6. What were some of the things Helen enjoyed doing outside when she wasn't reading?
7. How did Helen's abilities change and what did it take her a long time to be able to do?
8. What were the big events that Helen was able to participate in during 1893?
9. Why did Helen become restless and frustrated?
10. What did Helen find frustrating about her second year at Gilman's school?
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Helen would have been able to continue her studies if Anne had had to accept a different position? What do you think was Anne's influence on Helen's studies?
Essay Topic 2
In looking at Helen's experience at Gilman's school the second year, what aspects do you think led to the conflict? Which events do you think were Helen's doing? Which do you think were the schools? Do you think it was justified to remove her from the school? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think there would be many times throughout Helen's life that she would be accused of being less than genuine? Do you think these judgments were fair? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)