|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Helen born?
2. What about Helen's temperament served her well to help her overcome obstacles?
3. In what year did Anne Sullivan come to teach Helen?
4. What did Helen compare the trip she took to?
5. Where did Helen and Anne vacation after leaving Boston?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Helen accomplished by the time she was age thirteen?
2. Who was Helen's father and mother and what information does she share about them?
3. What caused Helen great pain at first at the Perkins Institute and then what changed her mind?
4. How did Helen begin to learn how to read?
5. What happened when Helen wrote her very first story?
6. Where did Helen attend school for the next two years?
7. What happened nine months after Anne Sullivan arrived at Helen's home?
8. Why did Helen become restless and frustrated?
9. What happened to Helen, Mildred and Miss Sullivan as they tried to find their way home when they were lost in the woods?
10. What happened as a result of Helen's inability to express herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think there would be many times throughout Helen's life that she would be accused of being less than genuine? Do you think these judgments were fair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining in what ways Helen was fortunate to be born into the family she was. How did her parents support and help her? Why might other families not be able to do the same things?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Helen does so much namedropping throughout this novel? Do you believe it is necessary? Why or why not?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)