|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who cared for the canary?
(c) Helen's mother.
2. What did Helen break when she was raging in trying to learn the difference between mug and water?
(a) A new doll.
(b) Mildred's new cradle.
(c) The water pump.
(d) Sullivan's glasses.
3. Why weren't many people near where Helen lived aware of resources for the blind and deaf?
(a) There were no others in the town who were blind or deaf.
(b) The town was so far away from any school for the blind and deaf.
(c) Those who were blind and/or deaf were not premitted to attend schools.
(d) No such schools existed within the state at this time.
4. What was Helen's favorite Christmas present?
(a) A new book.
(b) A brand new doll.
(c) A cat.
(d) A canary.
5. What did Anne use the manual alphabet to help Helen learn?
(a) Body language of the people who were around her.
(b) Appropriate tense and language cues for English language.
(c) The words and figures of speech people used in speaking to each other.
(d) Inflections and suggestions she could not see.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Fern Quarry located?
2. What did Helen indicate she did not know about Pilgrims at the time?
3. How did Helen view nature?
4. What caused Helen to get scared while she was on vacation with Anne?
5. What animal does Helen drag home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the big events that Helen was able to participate in during 1893?
2. At age nine, what did Helen experience for the first time?
3. How did Helen's friends react to her desire to learn to speak and why did they react this way?
4. What gave Kate hope for Helen?
5. What happened as a result of the plagiarizing incident for Helen?
6. What caused Helen great pain at first at the Perkins Institute and then what changed her mind?
7. After the fever what memories about sight and sound did Helen have left?
8. What happened to Helen's approach to religion after Bishop Brooks died?
9. What was Helen doing when Anne taught her the concept of what it meant to think?
10. What were some of the things Helen enjoyed doing outside when she wasn't reading?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)