|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first thing Sullivan begin to teach Helen?
(a) How to eat.
(c) Signing her name.
2. How did Anne Sullivan believe that normal children learned language?
(a) Having it specifically taught to them.
(b) Engaging in it at the time.
(c) Being exposed to it constantly.
(d) Watching it happen before them.
3. What did Helen compare the trip she took to?
(a) A bible story.
(b) A fairy tale.
(c) An unveiling.
(d) A great adventure.
4. What did Helen name her canary?
(a) Little Tim.
(b) Little Annie.
5. Which of the following could be considered the theme of chapter five?
(a) Child's innocence.
(b) Mixed blessings.
(d) On-going learning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anne go to get while Helen was waiting for her to return?
2. What astounded Helen when she woke up Christmas morning?
3. What happened while Helen, Mildred and Anne were in the woods?
4. Which of the following best describes Helen's sense when she first makes the connection that the spellings are the names of things?
5. Who best understood Helen's first limited sign language?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Helen arrived at the Perkins Institute and how did that make her feel?
2. How did Helen sometimes feel toward her peers and why did she feel this way?
3. What happened when Helen wrote her very first story?
4. How was Helen able to learn some of the basics of geography and what did she think she was actually doing?
5. After Helen learned and understood the spellings for things that first day, how did she go to bed that night?
6. What happened to Helen's approach to religion after Bishop Brooks died?
7. What was a first for Helen when she attended Cambridge School for Young Ladies?
8. Why did Anne take Helen outside when she went into a rage and broke her new doll?
9. What happened to Helen the first time she was in the ocean?
10. How did Helen practice her math skills and what would she always do during math class?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)