|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the storm, what was it a long time before Helen did again?
(a) Climbed a tree.
(b) Felt a storm.
(c) Went outside.
(d) Ate with her teacher.
2. What did daily immersion in language allow Helen to do?
(a) Participate in more conversations.
(b) Become more of an active participant in the family.
(c) Keep busy and away from throwing tantrums.
(d) Make cognitive leaps and function at a higher level.
3. Where was Helen waiting for Anne when a storm suddenly arose?
(a) By the pump.
(b) In the house.
(c) In a tree.
(d) Next to the well.
4. In what way was Helen gifted from the beginning of her life?
5. Where was the Perkins Institute located?
(c) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What biblical feature does Helen equate Anne Sullivan with?
2. Which genre best describes this novel?
3. Why did Sullivan take Helen outside?
4. In what year did Anne Sullivan come to teach Helen?
5. Why did Helen's family tend to let her have her own way whenever possible?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Helen's abilities change and what did it take her a long time to be able to do?
2. How did Helen take her preliminary exams to enter Radcliffe College?
3. What allowed Helen to forget all of the controversy about her plagiarism?
4. What happened nine months after Anne Sullivan arrived at Helen's home?
5. Where did Helen spend her winters?
6. What happened to Helen's approach to religion after Bishop Brooks died?
7. What were some of the activities that Martha and Helen would do together?
8. What happened as a result of Helen's inability to express herself?
9. What ashamed Helen about her math classes at Gilman's school?
10. What bothered Helen and her new doll and what did she do about it?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)