|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the Perkins Institute located?
(d) New York.
2. In what way does Helen see herself as fortunate in terms of her family?
(a) Her mother gave up work to take care of Helen.
(b) Her family did not abadon her when she became ill.
(c) Her father died in the war trying to protecte Helen.
(d) Her parents had good connections and kept reading.
3. Where did Helen's parents take her to see a famous eye doctor?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) New York.
4. What season is it when Helen and her family travel for their vacation?
5. Which genre best describes this novel?
(c) Historical fiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the eye doctor recommend that Helen's parents contact?
2. Which of the following could be considered the theme of chapter five?
3. Who cared for the canary?
4. How old was Helen when she wrote this novel?
5. Where did most of Helen's reading and studying take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Helen begin to learn how to read?
2. Where did Helen attend school for the next two years?
3. What happened to Helen the first time she was in the ocean?
4. After Helen learned and understood the spellings for things that first day, how did she go to bed that night?
5. What happened as a result of Helen's inability to express herself?
6. What was a first for Helen when she attended Cambridge School for Young Ladies?
7. What allowed Helen to forget all of the controversy about her plagiarism?
8. At age nine, what did Helen experience for the first time?
9. What caused Helen great pain at first at the Perkins Institute and then what changed her mind?
10. What happened when Helen arrived at the Perkins Institute and how did that make her feel?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)