|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the Perkins Institute located?
(d) New York.
2. What was the first book Helen read from?
(a) Reader for Beginners.
(b) Beginning Readers.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) The Bible.
3. Who else in Helen's family seemed to be verbally gifted?
(a) Her half-brothers.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
4. Which of the following is not true about Helen?
(a) She hated helping in the kitchen.
(b) She was jealous of her little sister.
(c) She had a few chores she had to do.
(d) She felt loved by her parents.
5. Which of the following could be considered the theme of chapter five?
(a) Mixed blessings.
(b) Child's innocence.
(d) On-going learning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Anne and Helen often take walks?
2. In what year did Anne Sullivan come to teach Helen?
3. What did it take Helen a long time to be able to do?
4. What did Helen ask Anne about the ocean?
5. What character does Helen indicate she was very jealous of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ashamed Helen about her math classes at Gilman's school?
2. What caused Helen great pain at first at the Perkins Institute and then what changed her mind?
3. How did Helen's friends react to her desire to learn to speak and why did they react this way?
4. What animal did Helen find on the beach and what did she do with it?
5. What happened to Helen the first time she was in the ocean?
6. In her final chapter, who does Helen have unkind words for?
7. How did Helen take her preliminary exams to enter Radcliffe College?
8. What happened to Helen's approach to religion after Bishop Brooks died?
9. What was Helen doing when Anne taught her the concept of what it meant to think?
10. How did Helen practice her math skills and what would she always do during math class?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)