|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Helen break when she was raging in trying to learn the difference between mug and water?
(a) A new doll.
(b) Mildred's new cradle.
(c) Sullivan's glasses.
(d) The water pump.
2. Why weren't many people near where Helen lived aware of resources for the blind and deaf?
(a) Those who were blind and/or deaf were not premitted to attend schools.
(b) There were no others in the town who were blind or deaf.
(c) The town was so far away from any school for the blind and deaf.
(d) No such schools existed within the state at this time.
3. How did Helen and Anne spend he rest of the day after Helen made the connection between the finger spelling and objects?
(a) Learning the names for people close to her and names of things in her surroundings.
(b) Playing and laughing together outside.
(c) Reviewing the manual alphabet.
(d) Turning on and off the pump and practicing spelling water.
4. What was the first thing Sullivan begin to teach Helen?
(b) Signing her name.
(d) How to eat.
5. Who cared for the canary?
(b) Helen's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did daily immersion in language allow Helen to do?
2. Which of the following is not true about Helen?
3. What about Helen's temperament served her well to help her overcome obstacles?
4. How does Helen describe this Christmas?
5. In what year was this novel first published?
Short Essay Questions
1. At age nine, what did Helen experience for the first time?
2. How did Helen feel about other writers?
3. How did Helen feel about many of her professors' methods for teaching the great works of literature?
4. What caused Helen great pain at first at the Perkins Institute and then what changed her mind?
5. After the fever what memories about sight and sound did Helen have left?
6. What position did Helen hold in the family and how was she treated?
7. What became one of Helen's favorite pastimes?
8. Where did Helen attend school for the next two years?
9. What happened to Helen the first time she was in the ocean?
10. In what way did Helen consider herself lucky in regards to nature?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)