|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Helen's small vocabulary of signs not enough?
(a) She grew and so did her need to express herself.
(b) Enough people did not understand them.
(c) Many people thought they were inappropriate.
(d) She could not use them fast enough.
2. Learning these finger spellings could be said to be what for Helen?
(a) A period of great learning.
(b) A bridge to the world.
(c) The end to a long road.
(d) A simple pattern of effort.
3. What did Helen need to learn how to recognize and communicate?
(a) Natural events.
(d) Concrete things.
4. How did Helen's family become acquainted with the Perkins Institute?
(a) Through the eye doctor in Baltimore.
(b) Through Helen's mother's reading.
(c) Through Dr. Bell.
(d) Through Anne Sullivan.
5. What did it take Helen a long time to be able to do?
(a) Initiate conversation.
(b) Participate in conversations.
(c) Think critically.
(d) Understand language.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Helen born?
2. For how many years did Helen live in isolation?
3. What was Helen's favorite Christmas present?
4. At what age did Helen say her first word?
5. What was Helen allowed to do for the first time with the Tuscumbia school children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Helen feel about many of her professors' methods for teaching the great works of literature?
2. How was Helen able to learn some of the basics of geography and what did she think she was actually doing?
3. What was a first for Helen when she attended Cambridge School for Young Ladies?
4. When Helen's parents took her to Baltimore, how did Helen feel about the trip?
5. How did Helen spend her days when she was with her family at Fern Quarry?
6. What happened to Helen when she was waiting for Anne to bring Helen lunch?
7. What happened to Helen the first time she was in the ocean?
8. What were some of the things Helen enjoyed doing outside when she wasn't reading?
9. Where did Helen attend school for the next two years?
10. What happened nine months after Anne Sullivan arrived at Helen's home?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)