|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helen's account of learning to make the connection between the spellings and objects is a snapshot of what?
(a) How work pays off.
(b) How fondly Helen looks on her teacher.
(c) How creative discoveries are made.
(d) The difference between student and teacher.
2. What did Helen begin to learn as soon as she could fingerspell some words?
(a) To read.
(b) To start conversations.
(c) To communicate with others.
(d) To use manners.
3. How did Helen first begin to show she could read the words presented to her by Anne?
(a) She would attach the correct word to the object.
(b) She would fingerspell the object Anne gave her.
(c) She would go and find the object on the card.
(d) She would give the appropriate card to Anne.
4. Where did Helen and her family travel for their vacation?
(c) Fern Quarry.
5. What did Helen, Mildred and Anne do when the train approached?
(a) Jumped into the stream.
(b) Held on to the swaying trestles.
(c) Ran off of the railroad tracks.
(d) Waved at the engineer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can one tell that Helen enjoyed spelling out sentences with Anne?
2. What was Helen doing when her next big step came?
3. How did Anne Sullivan believe that normal children learned language?
4. Which genre best describes this novel?
5. What did Helen name her canary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Helen when she was waiting for Anne to bring Helen lunch?
2. In her final chapter, who does Helen have unkind words for?
3. What had Helen accomplished by the time she was age thirteen?
4. What happened when Helen arrived at the Perkins Institute and how did that make her feel?
5. What is The Story of My Life and when was it written?
6. How did Helen begin to learn how to read?
7. How did Helen feel about many of her professors' methods for teaching the great works of literature?
8. Who was Helen's father and mother and what information does she share about them?
9. What were two of the chores that Helen was able to do for her mother?
10. What happened nine months after Anne Sullivan arrived at Helen's home?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)