|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Helen when she was able to fingerspell, read raised print, read Braille and speak English?
2. What year did Helen take the exams to enter Radcliffe College?
3. Which of the people at Cambridge learned to fingerspell?
(a) Principal and German teacher.
(b) German and English teacher.
(c) English and math teacher.
(d) Latin and Math teacher.
4. What subjects did Helen take to prepare her for college?
(a) French and science.
(b) Latin and math.
(c) French and Latin.
(d) Math and science.
5. What was the one exhibit that Helen could not explore?
(a) Greek paintings.
(c) Egyptian mummies.
(d) Roman statues.
6. Which of the following subjects was not one Helen studied during her time in New York?
7. Which of the following subjects was not one described by Helen as one she had an interest in?
(c) French literature.
8. Who is Sarah Fuller?
(a) A teacher who could help her learn to talk.
(b) A deaf girl who learned to talk.
(c) Principal of the Horace Mann School for the Deaf.
(d) A deaf and blind girl who learned to talk.
9. Which of the following people supported Helen through her traumatic event?
(a) Mr. Anagnos.
(b) Dr. Bell.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Margaret Canby.
10. What about the American Falls at Niagara made a big impression on Helen?
(a) Their power.
(b) Their size.
(c) Their ability to spray water far.
(d) Their history.
11. In what year did Helen finally enter Radcliffe?
12. What did Helen's patrons in London and Philadelphia work to have done for Helen?
(a) Textbooks embossed in raised print.
(b) Exams translated.
(c) Another interpreter besides Anne.
(d) Girls her own age who learned fingerspelling.
13. Which of the following questions is not answered in chapter twelve?
(a) How old was Helen during this time period?
(b) What was Helen's favorite winter sport?
(c) Where Helen went during the winter?
(d) Why did Helen spend her winters in the north?
14. What characters does Helen have empathy for in great literature?
(a) The heros.
(b) The victims.
(c) The female characters.
(d) The villains.
15. What lead to a sort of awakening for Helen?
(a) Her visits with young children.
(b) Her isolated walks.
(c) Her visits with actors and actresses.
(d) Her visits to the poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why might it not be surprising that Helen learned to like studying Latin?
2. How many sessions did Helen have to learn the elements of speech?
3. What was Helen's favorite sport?
4. Why were the algebra and geometry sections of Helen's final exams difficult for Helen?
5. What does Helen enjoy at museums and art stores?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)