|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Helen when she was able to fingerspell, read raised print, read Braille and speak English?
2. How did Helen feel about the Bible when she was a child?
(a) She loves the good she finds in it.
(b) It was too simple for her.
(c) It bored her.
(d) The brutality is too much for her.
3. What did Mr. Gilman want Anne and Helen to do?
(a) Stay at his school more than two years.
(b) Work harder in her subjects.
(c) Hire additional tutors.
(d) Leave his school.
4. Who did Helen go to the World's Fair with?
(a) Dr. Bell and Sarah Fuller.
(b) Her mother and father.
(c) Anne and Mildred.
(d) Anne and Dr. Bell.
5. What does Helen enjoy at museums and art stores?
(a) Touching the paintings.
(b) Feeling the sculptures.
(c) Other people's descriptions.
(d) The atmosphere.
6. Which of the following people supported Helen through her traumatic event?
(a) Mr. Anagnos.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Margaret Canby.
(d) Dr. Bell.
7. On what did Mr. Gilman base his assumptions?
(a) His personal observations.
(b) Helen's behavior.
(c) Talking with Helen.
(d) Reports from other teachers.
8. How did Helen learn to talk?
(a) She read the words while the teacher fingerspelled how to make the words.
(b) She felt the positions of Fuller's tongue and lips as she made sounds.
(c) She made noises and the teacher corrected her mouth and tongue positions with her hands.
(d) She held her hand on Fuller's throat and felt the vibrations.
9. What subjects did Helen take to prepare her for college?
(a) French and Latin.
(b) French and science.
(c) Math and science.
(d) Latin and math.
10. What was the one exhibit that Helen could not explore?
(a) Roman statues.
(b) Egyptian mummies.
(c) Greek paintings.
11. Which of the following subjects was not one described by Helen as one she had an interest in?
(b) French literature.
12. What season was it during chapter twelve?
13. What kept Helen from being lonely at Cambridge?
(a) Girls learned to fingerspell.
(b) Her friends from Philadelphia visited often.
(c) She was able to get outside frequently.
(d) Mildred stayed to study there as well.
14. Which professor does Helen praise for not obscuring the great works?
(a) German professor.
(b) English literature professor.
(c) Shakespeare professor.
(d) Latin professor.
15. What was Helen's favorite sport?
(c) Ice Skating.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Helen respond to the controversy?
2. Why doesn't Helen take notes during classes?
3. When Helen took the exams to enter Radcliffe College what subjects did she earn honors in?
4. What method did Anne use in teaching Helen?
5. What characters does Helen have empathy for in great literature?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)