|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Helen begin her formal schooling?
2. What motivated Helen to want to speak clearly and articulately?
(a) So that she could learn more information faster.
(b) So Mildred could understand her.
(c) So that she could give speeches.
(d) So that she could communicate with those that could not fingerspell.
3. Why doesn't Helen take notes during classes?
(a) Her hands are busy listening.
(b) Her teacher's do not allow it.
(c) She doesn't have a Braille typewriter.
(d) She cannot write.
4. What kept Helen from being lonely at Cambridge?
(a) Her friends from Philadelphia visited often.
(b) She was able to get outside frequently.
(c) Mildred stayed to study there as well.
(d) Girls learned to fingerspell.
5. What subjects did Helen take to prepare her for college?
(a) Math and science.
(b) Latin and math.
(c) French and Latin.
(d) French and science.
6. Which of the following terms best describes how Helen attacked learning Latin?
(a) With hesitation.
7. What year did Helen take the exams to enter Radcliffe College?
8. What does Helen enjoy at museums and art stores?
(a) The atmosphere.
(b) Touching the paintings.
(c) Feeling the sculptures.
(d) Other people's descriptions.
9. How old was Helen when she had her first public controversy?
10. What subject did Mr. Gilman, the principal, take over instructing Helen in?
(a) English literature.
11. How did Helen feel about cold winters?
(a) She despised them.
(b) She enjoyed them.
(c) She tolerated them.
(d) She disliked them.
12. How old was Helen when she experienced snow for the first time?
13. How does her lack of sight and hearing sometimes make Helen feel?
14. What characters does Helen have empathy for in great literature?
(a) The villains.
(b) The victims.
(c) The female characters.
(d) The heros.
15. In what year did Helen finally enter Radcliffe?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Helen describe the Bible?
2. What was the name of the original story?
3. Which of the following people supported Helen through her traumatic event?
4. Why might it not be surprising that Helen learned to like studying Latin?
5. What started the conflict between Mr. Gilman and Miss Sullivan?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)