|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Helen have to wait for before she could do her algebra, geometry and physics?
(a) Anne to get better.
(b) To buy a braillewriter.
(c) To finish her other courses.
(d) Her mother to bring up materials.
2. What season was it during chapter twelve?
3. How did Helen learn to talk?
(a) She read the words while the teacher fingerspelled how to make the words.
(b) She made noises and the teacher corrected her mouth and tongue positions with her hands.
(c) She felt the positions of Fuller's tongue and lips as she made sounds.
(d) She held her hand on Fuller's throat and felt the vibrations.
4. Why might it not be surprising that Helen learned to like studying Latin?
(a) She had Anne to ensure her success.
(b) She always achieved her goals.
(c) She enjoyed learning greatly.
(d) She had a gift for various languages.
5. What characters does Helen have empathy for in great literature?
(a) The heros.
(b) The villains.
(c) The victims.
(d) The female characters.
6. How many sessions did Helen have to learn the elements of speech?
7. What did Anne do to help Helen get over her writer's block?
(a) Had her write in a personal journal.
(b) Had her write a letter of apology
(c) Told her to write the story of her life.
(d) Had her write a poem.
8. Why were the algebra and geometry sections of Helen's final exams difficult for Helen?
(a) They were not translated into Braille at all.
(b) Anne was not able to clarify or translate for her.
(c) They had used a different type of Braille than what she had been taught.
(d) They were subjects she always had difficulty with.
9. When Helen took the exams to enter Radcliffe College what subjects did she earn honors in?
(a) English and geography.
(b) German and English.
(c) German and science.
(d) Geography and science.
10. What did Helen indicate she missed the most during her time in college?
(a) Time to think and reflect.
(b) Time to be outside.
(c) Time to do what she wanted.
(d) Time to be with her family.
11. What was Helen accused of doing?
(c) Hurting another.
12. What is Helen's favorite pastime when she is not reading?
(a) Riding bikes.
13. What was Helen given permission to do at the World's Fair?
(a) Touch the exhibits.
(b) Go places women were not allowed with Dr. Bell.
(c) Enter areas reserved for dignitaries.
(d) Visit things others could not visit.
14. On what did Mr. Gilman base his assumptions?
(a) Reports from other teachers.
(b) Helen's behavior.
(c) Talking with Helen.
(d) His personal observations.
15. How does her lack of sight and hearing sometimes make Helen feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Ragnhild Kaata?
2. What kept Helen from being lonely at Cambridge?
3. How did Helen feel about cold winters?
4. How old was Helen when she was able to fingerspell, read raised print, read Braille and speak English?
5. Which of the following terms best describes how Helen attacked learning Latin?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)