|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Helen begin her formal schooling?
2. What did Anne do to help Helen get over her writer's block?
(a) Had her write a letter of apology
(b) Had her write a poem.
(c) Had her write in a personal journal.
(d) Told her to write the story of her life.
3. What year did Helen take the exams to enter Radcliffe College?
4. How did Helen learn to talk?
(a) She made noises and the teacher corrected her mouth and tongue positions with her hands.
(b) She felt the positions of Fuller's tongue and lips as she made sounds.
(c) She read the words while the teacher fingerspelled how to make the words.
(d) She held her hand on Fuller's throat and felt the vibrations.
5. What outrages Helen as she visits the poor?
(a) The effort they put forth.
(b) The conditions that they live in.
(c) The opportunities they have.
(d) The locations of their homes.
6. Why did Helen wait an additional year before she entered Radcliffe?
(a) She needed to take a break and give Anne a break.
(b) She was only granted acceptance based on waiting the year.
(c) She wanted a year to enjoy her time at home with her sister.
(d) She wanted to be more prepared, especially in math.
7. How does Helen indicate one should take their education?
(a) As if there is nothing else of importance.
(b) As an door opening to the world around.
(c) As if it is something precious.
(d) As they would take awalk in the country.
8. How do the conflicts of the world seem to Helen when she is outdoors?
9. What method did Anne use in teaching Helen?
(a) Beginning with language.
(b) Following her interests.
(c) The same as that her siblings followed.
(d) A prescribed curriculum.
10. How old was Helen when she had her first public controversy?
11. How does her lack of sight and hearing sometimes make Helen feel?
12. What kept Helen from being lonely at Cambridge?
(a) Mildred stayed to study there as well.
(b) Her friends from Philadelphia visited often.
(c) Girls learned to fingerspell.
(d) She was able to get outside frequently.
13. How old was Helen when she was able to fingerspell, read raised print, read Braille and speak English?
14. What about the American Falls at Niagara made a big impression on Helen?
(a) Their ability to spray water far.
(b) Their size.
(c) Their history.
(d) Their power.
15. Why doesn't Helen take notes during classes?
(a) She cannot write.
(b) She doesn't have a Braille typewriter.
(c) Her hands are busy listening.
(d) Her teacher's do not allow it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Helen feel about cold winters?
2. What lead to a sort of awakening for Helen?
3. What does Helen acquaint beauty and music with?
4. What was the one exhibit that Helen could not explore?
5. What was the only part of New York City that Helen actually liked?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)