|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Helen given permission to do at the World's Fair?
(a) Touch the exhibits.
(b) Visit things others could not visit.
(c) Go places women were not allowed with Dr. Bell.
(d) Enter areas reserved for dignitaries.
2. Who is Sarah Fuller?
(a) A teacher who could help her learn to talk.
(b) Principal of the Horace Mann School for the Deaf.
(c) A deaf and blind girl who learned to talk.
(d) A deaf girl who learned to talk.
3. How old was Helen when she was able to fingerspell, read raised print, read Braille and speak English?
4. What types of books did Helen dislike reading?
(a) Fables where animals are made to act or talk like people.
(b) Greek mythology.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Poetry, particularly romantic poets.
5. Which professor does Helen praise for not obscuring the great works?
(a) English literature professor.
(b) German professor.
(c) Shakespeare professor.
(d) Latin professor.
6. In what year did Helen finally enter Radcliffe?
7. On what did Mr. Gilman base his assumptions?
(a) Helen's behavior.
(b) Talking with Helen.
(c) Reports from other teachers.
(d) His personal observations.
8. What did Helen's patrons in London and Philadelphia work to have done for Helen?
(a) Another interpreter besides Anne.
(b) Exams translated.
(c) Girls her own age who learned fingerspelling.
(d) Textbooks embossed in raised print.
9. Why doesn't Helen take notes during classes?
(a) She doesn't have a Braille typewriter.
(b) Her hands are busy listening.
(c) She cannot write.
(d) Her teacher's do not allow it.
10. Why did Helen wait an additional year before she entered Radcliffe?
(a) She was only granted acceptance based on waiting the year.
(b) She wanted to be more prepared, especially in math.
(c) She wanted a year to enjoy her time at home with her sister.
(d) She needed to take a break and give Anne a break.
11. Why were the algebra and geometry sections of Helen's final exams difficult for Helen?
(a) They were not translated into Braille at all.
(b) Anne was not able to clarify or translate for her.
(c) They were subjects she always had difficulty with.
(d) They had used a different type of Braille than what she had been taught.
12. How did Helen learn to talk?
(a) She read the words while the teacher fingerspelled how to make the words.
(b) She felt the positions of Fuller's tongue and lips as she made sounds.
(c) She made noises and the teacher corrected her mouth and tongue positions with her hands.
(d) She held her hand on Fuller's throat and felt the vibrations.
13. What does Helen love to immerse herself in?
14. What did Helen indicate she missed the most during her time in college?
(a) Time to be outside.
(b) Time to do what she wanted.
(c) Time to think and reflect.
(d) Time to be with her family.
15. Why might it not be surprising that Helen learned to like studying Latin?
(a) She had a gift for various languages.
(b) She always achieved her goals.
(c) She had Anne to ensure her success.
(d) She enjoyed learning greatly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Helen's favorite pastime when she is not reading?
2. What was the name of the original story?
3. Who did Helen go to the World's Fair with?
4. Which subject did Helen never learn to like or excel at?
5. How did Helen feel about the Bible when she was a child?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)