|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Helen feel about cold winters?
(a) She despised them.
(b) She enjoyed them.
(c) She tolerated them.
(d) She disliked them.
2. What is Helen's favorite pastime when she is not reading?
(c) Riding bikes.
3. How old was Helen when she was able to fingerspell, read raised print, read Braille and speak English?
4. How does Helen indicate one should take their education?
(a) As an door opening to the world around.
(b) As they would take awalk in the country.
(c) As if there is nothing else of importance.
(d) As if it is something precious.
5. In what year did Helen finally enter Radcliffe?
6. Where did Helen spend this season?
7. What outrages Helen as she visits the poor?
(a) The effort they put forth.
(b) The locations of their homes.
(c) The opportunities they have.
(d) The conditions that they live in.
8. Who did Helen go to the World's Fair with?
(a) Dr. Bell and Sarah Fuller.
(b) Her mother and father.
(c) Anne and Dr. Bell.
(d) Anne and Mildred.
9. What does Helen indicate is the only thing that great poetry needs for interpretation?
(a) Odorous analysis.
(b) A responsive heart.
(c) Laborious comments.
(d) Impositions of the reader.
10. Which of the following questions is not answered in chapter twelve?
(a) What was Helen's favorite winter sport?
(b) Why did Helen spend her winters in the north?
(c) How old was Helen during this time period?
(d) Where Helen went during the winter?
11. Which subject did Helen never learn to like or excel at?
12. What was Helen given permission to do at the World's Fair?
(a) Enter areas reserved for dignitaries.
(b) Touch the exhibits.
(c) Go places women were not allowed with Dr. Bell.
(d) Visit things others could not visit.
13. Why did Helen wait an additional year before she entered Radcliffe?
(a) She wanted to be more prepared, especially in math.
(b) She needed to take a break and give Anne a break.
(c) She was only granted acceptance based on waiting the year.
(d) She wanted a year to enjoy her time at home with her sister.
14. On what did Mr. Gilman base his assumptions?
(a) Reports from other teachers.
(b) Helen's behavior.
(c) Talking with Helen.
(d) His personal observations.
15. Who was Ragnhild Kaata?
(a) Principal of the Horace Mann School for the Deaf.
(b) A deaf girl who learned to talk.
(c) A deaf and blind girl who learned to talk.
(d) A teacher who could help her learn to talk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Helen fond memories of her time in New York?
2. What was Helen's favorite sport?
3. At what age did Helen begin her formal schooling?
4. What did Helen want to learn in the spring of 1890?
5. What types of books did Helen dislike reading?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)