|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season was it during chapter twelve?
2. What method did Anne use in teaching Helen?
(a) The same as that her siblings followed.
(b) A prescribed curriculum.
(c) Beginning with language.
(d) Following her interests.
3. How old was Helen when she was able to fingerspell, read raised print, read Braille and speak English?
4. In what year did Helen finally enter Radcliffe?
5. Who is Sarah Fuller?
(a) A deaf girl who learned to talk.
(b) A teacher who could help her learn to talk.
(c) A deaf and blind girl who learned to talk.
(d) Principal of the Horace Mann School for the Deaf.
6. Which of the following questions is not answered in chapter twelve?
(a) Why did Helen spend her winters in the north?
(b) How old was Helen during this time period?
(c) What was Helen's favorite winter sport?
(d) Where Helen went during the winter?
7. What subjects did Helen take to prepare her for college?
(a) French and Latin.
(b) French and science.
(c) Math and science.
(d) Latin and math.
8. On what did Mr. Gilman base his assumptions?
(a) Talking with Helen.
(b) Helen's behavior.
(c) Reports from other teachers.
(d) His personal observations.
9. What started the conflict between Mr. Gilman and Miss Sullivan?
(a) He felt Helen was mistreating Anne.
(b) He felt Anne was not supporting Helen enough.
(c) He felt Helen was working to hard.
(d) He felt Anne was giving Helen answers.
10. When Helen took the exams to enter Radcliffe College what subjects did she earn honors in?
(a) Geography and science.
(b) German and English.
(c) English and geography.
(d) German and science.
11. Which of the following people supported Helen through her traumatic event?
(a) Mr. Anagnos.
(b) Margaret Canby.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Dr. Bell.
12. Which of the people at Cambridge learned to fingerspell?
(a) English and math teacher.
(b) German and English teacher.
(c) Latin and Math teacher.
(d) Principal and German teacher.
13. How did Helen feel about cold winters?
(a) She tolerated them.
(b) She enjoyed them.
(c) She despised them.
(d) She disliked them.
14. Why did Helen and Anne decide she should attend the Wright-Humason School for the Deaf?
(a) It was best for continuing her speech and lip-reading skills.
(b) It was close to her home.
(c) It was a school that would allow Anne to attend as her interpreter.
(d) It was the only school that would accept Helen.
15. Which of the following subjects was not one described by Helen as one she had an interest in?
(d) French literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Helen wait an additional year before she entered Radcliffe?
2. What did Helen's patrons in London and Philadelphia work to have done for Helen?
3. Which subject did Helen never learn to like or excel at?
4. What kept Helen from being lonely at Cambridge?
5. How many sessions did Helen have to learn the elements of speech?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)