|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the one exhibit that Helen could not explore?
(a) Roman statues.
(b) Egyptian mummies.
(d) Greek paintings.
2. What subject did Mr. Gilman, the principal, take over instructing Helen in?
(d) English literature.
3. Which of the following subjects was not one Helen studied during her time in New York?
4. What does Helen indicate is the only thing that great poetry needs for interpretation?
(a) Odorous analysis.
(b) Laborious comments.
(c) A responsive heart.
(d) Impositions of the reader.
5. How did Helen learn to talk?
(a) She read the words while the teacher fingerspelled how to make the words.
(b) She made noises and the teacher corrected her mouth and tongue positions with her hands.
(c) She held her hand on Fuller's throat and felt the vibrations.
(d) She felt the positions of Fuller's tongue and lips as she made sounds.
6. Why doesn't Helen take notes during classes?
(a) Her teacher's do not allow it.
(b) She cannot write.
(c) She doesn't have a Braille typewriter.
(d) Her hands are busy listening.
7. How old was Helen when she was able to fingerspell, read raised print, read Braille and speak English?
8. How does Helen describe the Bible?
(a) A record of religion more than a collection of literature.
(b) A broken book that was unable to provide comforting.
(c) A compelling and decisive story.
(d) A collection of literature more than a record of religion.
9. What was Helen given permission to do at the World's Fair?
(a) Enter areas reserved for dignitaries.
(b) Visit things others could not visit.
(c) Go places women were not allowed with Dr. Bell.
(d) Touch the exhibits.
10. What does Helen acquaint beauty and music with?
(a) Goodness and love.
(b) Emotions and depth.
(c) Unattainable things.
(d) Surprise and power.
11. What does Helen enjoy at museums and art stores?
(a) Touching the paintings.
(b) The atmosphere.
(c) Feeling the sculptures.
(d) Other people's descriptions.
12. Which of the following questions is not answered in chapter twelve?
(a) What was Helen's favorite winter sport?
(b) Why did Helen spend her winters in the north?
(c) Where Helen went during the winter?
(d) How old was Helen during this time period?
13. What outrages Helen as she visits the poor?
(a) The locations of their homes.
(b) The effort they put forth.
(c) The conditions that they live in.
(d) The opportunities they have.
14. Which of the following terms best describes how Helen attacked learning Latin?
(b) With hesitation.
15. Who was Ragnhild Kaata?
(a) Principal of the Horace Mann School for the Deaf.
(b) A deaf girl who learned to talk.
(c) A deaf and blind girl who learned to talk.
(d) A teacher who could help her learn to talk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the people at Cambridge learned to fingerspell?
2. How did Helen feel about the Bible when she was a child?
3. What method did Anne use in teaching Helen?
4. What did Mr. Gilman want Anne and Helen to do?
5. What is Helen's favorite pastime when she is not reading?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)