|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subjects did Helen take to prepare her for college?
(a) French and Latin.
(b) French and science.
(c) Latin and math.
(d) Math and science.
2. What subject did Mr. Gilman, the principal, take over instructing Helen in?
(d) English literature.
3. How old was Helen when she experienced snow for the first time?
4. What started the conflict between Mr. Gilman and Miss Sullivan?
(a) He felt Anne was not supporting Helen enough.
(b) He felt Anne was giving Helen answers.
(c) He felt Helen was mistreating Anne.
(d) He felt Helen was working to hard.
5. What was Helen accused of doing?
(d) Hurting another.
6. Why doesn't Helen take notes during classes?
(a) She cannot write.
(b) Her hands are busy listening.
(c) She doesn't have a Braille typewriter.
(d) Her teacher's do not allow it.
7. How did Helen learn to talk?
(a) She read the words while the teacher fingerspelled how to make the words.
(b) She held her hand on Fuller's throat and felt the vibrations.
(c) She made noises and the teacher corrected her mouth and tongue positions with her hands.
(d) She felt the positions of Fuller's tongue and lips as she made sounds.
8. What does Helen love to immerse herself in?
9. Who was Ragnhild Kaata?
(a) A deaf girl who learned to talk.
(b) A teacher who could help her learn to talk.
(c) Principal of the Horace Mann School for the Deaf.
(d) A deaf and blind girl who learned to talk.
10. What motivated Helen to want to speak clearly and articulately?
(a) So that she could learn more information faster.
(b) So Mildred could understand her.
(c) So that she could communicate with those that could not fingerspell.
(d) So that she could give speeches.
11. How did Helen feel about cold winters?
(a) She disliked them.
(b) She enjoyed them.
(c) She tolerated them.
(d) She despised them.
12. How does Helen indicate one should take their education?
(a) As an door opening to the world around.
(b) As if it is something precious.
(c) As they would take awalk in the country.
(d) As if there is nothing else of importance.
13. What method did Anne use in teaching Helen?
(a) The same as that her siblings followed.
(b) Beginning with language.
(c) A prescribed curriculum.
(d) Following her interests.
14. Why did Helen wait an additional year before she entered Radcliffe?
(a) She wanted a year to enjoy her time at home with her sister.
(b) She needed to take a break and give Anne a break.
(c) She was only granted acceptance based on waiting the year.
(d) She wanted to be more prepared, especially in math.
15. What was Helen given permission to do at the World's Fair?
(a) Touch the exhibits.
(b) Enter areas reserved for dignitaries.
(c) Visit things others could not visit.
(d) Go places women were not allowed with Dr. Bell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following subjects was not one Helen studied during her time in New York?
2. Which of the following subjects was not one described by Helen as one she had an interest in?
3. Who is Sarah Fuller?
4. Which of the following people supported Helen through her traumatic event?
5. What was the name of the original story?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)