|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject did Helen learn about on the walks she and Anne took?
(b) Social Studies.
2. What does Helen indicate Sullivan's arrival freed her from?
3. Where would Helen sit to be splashed by the waves?
(a) On the sand.
(b) On a large rock.
(c) In a beach chair.
(d) Where the waves broke in the water.
4. What did Helen consider to be one of her favorite childhood pastimes?
(a) Working with Anne.
(b) Climbing trees.
(c) Feeling storms.
(d) Eating outside.
5. Why didn't Helen have any fits of temper while she was with her parents on the trip to see the eye doctor?
(a) There were so many things to keep her mind and fingers busy.
(b) She was terrified of leaving her home and seeing the doctor.
(c) Her parents gave her some medication to keep her calm.
(d) Her mother and father gave into all of her desires and whims.
6. What did Helen learn to fear?
(a) Her teacher.
(b) The power of nature.
(c) Being alone with no one to help her communicate.
(d) Her half-brothers.
7. How did Helen first begin to show she could read the words presented to her by Anne?
(a) She would attach the correct word to the object.
(b) She would give the appropriate card to Anne.
(c) She would go and find the object on the card.
(d) She would fingerspell the object Anne gave her.
8. What subject was Helen able to learn about while on her trip?
9. What was the first abstract term Helen learned to understand?
10. What was Sullivan trying to teach Helen the difference between when Helen became extremely frustrated?
(a) Mug and water.
(b) Knife and fork.
(c) Pump and flower.
(d) Doll and book.
11. What did Anne use the manual alphabet to help Helen learn?
(a) Appropriate tense and language cues for English language.
(b) Inflections and suggestions she could not see.
(c) Body language of the people who were around her.
(d) The words and figures of speech people used in speaking to each other.
12. Which genre best describes this novel?
(a) Historical fiction.
13. Why did Sullivan take Helen outside?
(a) To cool Helen's temper and give herself a break.
(b) To remove her from an interfering family.
(c) To change the scenery and mood.
(d) To trying using objects from the outdoors.
14. What happened while Helen, Mildred and Anne were in the woods?
(a) They found a stream and played in it.
(b) They found some baby animals.
(c) They got lost.
(d) They watched/felt trains go by.
15. In what month did Anne Sullivan arrive at Ivy Green to work with Helen?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the Perkins Institute located?
2. Where did most of Helen's reading and studying take place?
3. Helen's account of learning to make the connection between the spellings and objects is a snapshot of what?
4. What does Helen indicate she felt after he tantrums passed?
5. For how many years did Helen live in isolation?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)