|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Helen's learning feel like to her?
(c) Being freed.
2. Where is Fern Quarry located?
3. Why did Helen's family tend to let her have her own way whenever possible?
(a) Because of her rages.
(b) Because they didn't know what else to do.
(c) Because she was the youngest child.
(d) Because she couldn't see or hear.
4. What was Helen most interested in that she visited while on her trip?
(b) Bunker Hill.
(d) Plymouth Rock.
5. What did Anne go to get while Helen was waiting for her to return?
6. What was the first book Helen read from?
(a) The newspaper.
(b) Reader for Beginners.
(c) Beginning Readers.
(d) The Bible.
7. How did Helen spend the rest of her summer?
(a) Building her vocabulary.
(b) Playing and communicating with her family.
(c) Traveling with Anne.
(d) Visiting doctors and schools.
8. Why did Sullivan take Helen outside?
(a) To trying using objects from the outdoors.
(b) To change the scenery and mood.
(c) To cool Helen's temper and give herself a break.
(d) To remove her from an interfering family.
9. What subject did Helen not like?
10. In what way does Helen see herself as fortunate in terms of her family?
(a) Her father died in the war trying to protecte Helen.
(b) Her parents had good connections and kept reading.
(c) Her mother gave up work to take care of Helen.
(d) Her family did not abadon her when she became ill.
11. In what way was Helen gifted from the beginning of her life?
12. What did Helen learn to fear?
(a) Her half-brothers.
(b) The power of nature.
(c) Being alone with no one to help her communicate.
(d) Her teacher.
13. What did it take Helen a long time to be able to do?
(a) Understand language.
(b) Initiate conversation.
(c) Participate in conversations.
(d) Think critically.
14. Which genre best describes this novel?
(d) Historical fiction.
15. Where would Helen sit to be splashed by the waves?
(a) In a beach chair.
(b) Where the waves broke in the water.
(c) On the sand.
(d) On a large rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many years did Helen live in isolation?
2. What does Helen indicate she felt after he tantrums passed?
3. In what area did Helen have a lot of catching up to do?
4. In what year was Helen born?
5. What did Helen need to learn how to recognize and communicate?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)