|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why wasn't Mildred hurt?
(a) Helen regretted her actions soon enough.
(b) The cook pulled Helen away from Mildred.
(c) Mildred was able to defend herself.
(d) Her mother was there to catch her.
2. What did Helen, Mildred and Anne do when the train approached?
(a) Jumped into the stream.
(b) Held on to the swaying trestles.
(c) Waved at the engineer.
(d) Ran off of the railroad tracks.
3. What did Helen's aunt make for her?
(a) A new dress for her trip to the doctor.
(b) A necklace made out beads.
(c) A doll made out of towels.
(d) A cane made out of jewels.
4. What was Helen most interested in that she visited while on her trip?
(a) Bunker Hill.
(c) Plymouth Rock.
5. What did daily immersion in language allow Helen to do?
(a) Keep busy and away from throwing tantrums.
(b) Make cognitive leaps and function at a higher level.
(c) Participate in more conversations.
(d) Become more of an active participant in the family.
6. What did Helen ask Anne about the ocean?
(a) How big is it?
(b) Who put salt in the water?
(c) Why is it so strong?
(d) What animals live in it?
7. How did Helen feel about Dr. Bell?
(a) She was frustrated when she was with him.
(b) She loved him right away.
(c) She was afraid of him.
(d) She was angry when he tried to work with her.
8. What was the first thing Sullivan begin to teach Helen?
(b) Signing her name.
(c) How to eat.
9. Where did Helen and Anne vacation after leaving Boston?
(a) Cape Cod.
(b) New York.
10. What character does Helen indicate she was very jealous of?
(b) Her older half-brothers.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her baby sister.
11. What biblical feature does Helen equate Anne Sullivan with?
12. What happened while Helen, Mildred and Anne were in the woods?
(a) They got lost.
(b) They found a stream and played in it.
(c) They watched/felt trains go by.
(d) They found some baby animals.
13. What did Helen consider to be one of her favorite childhood pastimes?
(a) Climbing trees.
(b) Working with Anne.
(c) Eating outside.
(d) Feeling storms.
14. How did Helen view nature?
(a) As a miracle.
(b) As a waste of her time.
(c) As something she cannot understand.
(d) As a constant lesson.
15. Where is Fern Quarry located?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Helen see herself as fortunate in terms of her family?
2. What subject did Helen learn about on the walks she and Anne took?
3. For how many years did Helen live in isolation?
4. What did Helen need to learn how to recognize and communicate?
5. Which genre best describes this novel?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)