|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Helen when she wrote this novel?
2. What caused Helen's tantrums to increase in severity?
(a) Her size and weight increased.
(b) Her parents began to tell her no more regularly.
(c) Her desire to express herself grew.
(d) She was out of the house more often.
3. What did Anne use the manual alphabet to help Helen learn?
(a) The words and figures of speech people used in speaking to each other.
(b) Inflections and suggestions she could not see.
(c) Appropriate tense and language cues for English language.
(d) Body language of the people who were around her.
4. In what year was this novel first published?
5. What was Helen's favorite Christmas present?
(a) A brand new doll.
(b) A cat.
(c) A new book.
(d) A canary.
6. Why might nature seem to be more menacing to Helen?
(a) Because she didn't understand its laws.
(b) Because she did not have all of her senses.
(c) Because she was unable to communicate well.
(d) Because it was an ongoing paradox.
7. How did Helen get interested in learning about dinosaurs?
(a) A conversation with Martha about them.
(b) A man sending her fossils.
(c) A story that Anne read to her.
(d) A bone she found in the field.
8. How can one tell that Helen enjoyed spelling out sentences with Anne?
(a) She did it even without Anne.
(b) She would do it for hours.
(c) She would smile while doing it.
(d) She wanted to show all of her family.
9. What does Helen indicate she felt after he tantrums passed?
(a) Something like anger.
(b) Something like release.
(c) Something like regret.
(d) Something like relief.
10. Where was the Perkins Institute located?
(b) New York.
11. What did Helen begin to learn as soon as she could fingerspell some words?
(a) To communicate with others.
(b) To start conversations.
(c) To use manners.
(d) To read.
12. In what month did Anne Sullivan arrive at Ivy Green to work with Helen?
13. How did Helen feel as her vocabulary increased?
(a) Resigned to always be an outsider.
(b) More a part of the world.
(c) As if she knew everything.
(d) Sad that she couldn't learn fast enough.
14. What did Helen learn to fear?
(a) Her half-brothers.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) The power of nature.
(d) Being alone with no one to help her communicate.
15. How did Anne Sullivan believe that normal children learned language?
(a) Being exposed to it constantly.
(b) Watching it happen before them.
(c) Engaging in it at the time.
(d) Having it specifically taught to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the storm, what was it a long time before Helen did again?
2. What did Anne go to get while Helen was waiting for her to return?
3. Why wasn't Mildred hurt?
4. What abstract term did it take a very long time for Helen to understand?
5. Who cared for the canary?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)