|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following literary terms did Anne use to help Helen with her learning about nature and life?
2. For how many years did Helen live in isolation?
3. What was Anne sent to do with Helen?
(a) Discipline her.
(b) Babysit her.
(c) Watch her.
(d) Teach her.
4. What abstract term did it take a very long time for Helen to understand?
5. Why did Sullivan take Helen outside?
(a) To remove her from an interfering family.
(b) To trying using objects from the outdoors.
(c) To change the scenery and mood.
(d) To cool Helen's temper and give herself a break.
6. Why wasn't Mildred hurt?
(a) Mildred was able to defend herself.
(b) Her mother was there to catch her.
(c) Helen regretted her actions soon enough.
(d) The cook pulled Helen away from Mildred.
7. Helen's account of learning to make the connection between the spellings and objects is a snapshot of what?
(a) How work pays off.
(b) The difference between student and teacher.
(c) How fondly Helen looks on her teacher.
(d) How creative discoveries are made.
8. What was Mildred's suggestion to Helen and Mildred?
(a) They follow a railroad trestle to get home.
(b) They follow a path of stones to get home.
(c) They follow a squirrel to get home.
(d) They follow a small stream to get home.
9. What caused Helen to get scared while she was on vacation with Anne?
(a) A wave pulled her under water.
(b) She got lost and couldn't find Anne.
(c) She tripped over a rock and hurt herself.
(d) A crab pinched her feet.
10. What was the first the first word Helen connected with the spelling?
11. Which of the following is not true about Helen?
(a) She had a few chores she had to do.
(b) She was jealous of her little sister.
(c) She hated helping in the kitchen.
(d) She felt loved by her parents.
12. What did Helen, Mildred and Anne do when the train approached?
(a) Held on to the swaying trestles.
(b) Ran off of the railroad tracks.
(c) Waved at the engineer.
(d) Jumped into the stream.
13. How did Helen feel as her vocabulary increased?
(a) Sad that she couldn't learn fast enough.
(b) Resigned to always be an outsider.
(c) As if she knew everything.
(d) More a part of the world.
14. Why did Helen's family tend to let her have her own way whenever possible?
(a) Because she couldn't see or hear.
(b) Because of her rages.
(c) Because she was the youngest child.
(d) Because they didn't know what else to do.
15. Which of the following best describes Helen's relationship with Martha as they played together?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which genre best describes this novel?
2. Where did Helen's parents take her to see a famous eye doctor?
3. Why weren't many people near where Helen lived aware of resources for the blind and deaf?
4. At whose home did Helen and Anne stay?
5. What was Helen's favorite Christmas present?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)