|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Helen doing when Anne tapped her forehead and spelled think?
(a) Sitting on her mother's lap.
(b) Playing with her dolls.
(c) Wasting time.
2. What took Helen's sight and hearing?
3. What was the first thing Sullivan begin to teach Helen?
(a) Signing her name.
(b) How to eat.
4. What was the first book Helen read from?
(a) The newspaper.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Beginning Readers.
(d) Reader for Beginners.
5. How does Helen describe this Christmas?
(a) Her first real Christmas.
(b) Her most exciting Christmas.
(c) Her favorite Christmas.
(d) Her best Christmas.
6. Which of the following best describes Helen's relationship with Martha as they played together?
7. In what year was this novel first published?
8. Who else in Helen's family seemed to be verbally gifted?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her half-brothers.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her mother.
9. How did Anne Sullivan believe that normal children learned language?
(a) Being exposed to it constantly.
(b) Watching it happen before them.
(c) Having it specifically taught to them.
(d) Engaging in it at the time.
10. In what way was Helen gifted from the beginning of her life?
11. What did Helen ask Anne about the ocean?
(a) What animals live in it?
(b) How big is it?
(c) Why is it so strong?
(d) Who put salt in the water?
12. Who best understood Helen's first limited sign language?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) No one.
(d) Her nurse.
13. What does Helen indicate Sullivan's arrival freed her from?
14. At what age did Helen say her first word?
(a) 8 months.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 12 months.
15. Which of the following is not true about Helen?
(a) She hated helping in the kitchen.
(b) She felt loved by her parents.
(c) She was jealous of her little sister.
(d) She had a few chores she had to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Helen consider to be one of her favorite childhood pastimes?
2. What did Helen indicate she did not know about Pilgrims at the time?
3. What did Helen, Mildred and Anne do when the train approached?
4. What was Helen most interested in that she visited while on her trip?
5. Why might nature seem to be more menacing to Helen?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)