|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Helen compare the trip she took to?
(a) A fairy tale.
(b) A great adventure.
(c) An unveiling.
(d) A bible story.
2. What subject did Helen not like?
3. Who best understood Helen's first limited sign language?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her nurse.
(d) No one.
4. Which of the following could be considered the theme of chapter five?
(b) Child's innocence.
(c) On-going learning.
(d) Mixed blessings.
5. What about Helen's temperament served her well to help her overcome obstacles?
(a) Her instant anger.
(b) Her self-absorbed nature.
(c) Her persistence.
(d) Her pleasing nature.
6. What does Helen indicate she felt after he tantrums passed?
(a) Something like regret.
(b) Something like relief.
(c) Something like anger.
(d) Something like release.
7. What caused Helen to get scared while she was on vacation with Anne?
(a) She tripped over a rock and hurt herself.
(b) She got lost and couldn't find Anne.
(c) A wave pulled her under water.
(d) A crab pinched her feet.
8. In what month did Anne Sullivan arrive at Ivy Green to work with Helen?
9. In what way did Helen show a normal child's natural fascination?
(a) She wanted to do things herself.
(b) She wanted to have her questions answered right away.
(c) She wanted to explore and learn about the miracles around her.
(d) She wanted to figure out things on her own without her teacher's help.
10. How old was Helen when she wrote this novel?
11. What did Helen learn to fear?
(a) The power of nature.
(b) Being alone with no one to help her communicate.
(c) Her teacher.
(d) Her half-brothers.
12. Why didn't Helen have any fits of temper while she was with her parents on the trip to see the eye doctor?
(a) She was terrified of leaving her home and seeing the doctor.
(b) There were so many things to keep her mind and fingers busy.
(c) Her parents gave her some medication to keep her calm.
(d) Her mother and father gave into all of her desires and whims.
13. What astounded Helen when she woke up Christmas morning?
(a) She had a gift from Anne.
(b) She found presents everywhere.
(c) She was the first person awake.
(d) She has presents herself.
14. For how many years did Helen live in isolation?
15. What did daily immersion in language allow Helen to do?
(a) Become more of an active participant in the family.
(b) Participate in more conversations.
(c) Make cognitive leaps and function at a higher level.
(d) Keep busy and away from throwing tantrums.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state was Helen born?
2. After the storm, what was it a long time before Helen did again?
3. What did Helen name her canary?
4. What did it take Helen a long time to be able to do?
5. Where did Helen visit in May of 1888?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)