|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Helen consider to be one of her favorite childhood pastimes?
(a) Working with Anne.
(b) Eating outside.
(c) Climbing trees.
(d) Feeling storms.
2. What did Helen compare the trip she took to?
(a) A great adventure.
(b) A fairy tale.
(c) An unveiling.
(d) A bible story.
3. How did Helen feel about Dr. Bell?
(a) She was frustrated when she was with him.
(b) She loved him right away.
(c) She was afraid of him.
(d) She was angry when he tried to work with her.
4. What did Helen's learning feel like to her?
(c) Being freed.
5. What was the first abstract term Helen learned to understand?
6. In what way does Helen see herself as fortunate in terms of her family?
(a) Her father died in the war trying to protecte Helen.
(b) Her family did not abadon her when she became ill.
(c) Her parents had good connections and kept reading.
(d) Her mother gave up work to take care of Helen.
7. What was Anne sent to do with Helen?
(a) Discipline her.
(b) Teach her.
(c) Watch her.
(d) Babysit her.
8. How did Helen first begin to show she could read the words presented to her by Anne?
(a) She would attach the correct word to the object.
(b) She would fingerspell the object Anne gave her.
(c) She would go and find the object on the card.
(d) She would give the appropriate card to Anne.
9. What character does Helen indicate she was very jealous of?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her older half-brothers.
(d) Her baby sister.
10. What was Helen allowed to do for the first time with the Tuscumbia school children?
(a) Sing Christmas carols.
(b) Decorate the tree.
(c) Hang stockings.
(d) Give the children their gifts.
11. What did Helen do to Mildred when she was in a rage?
(a) Hid Mildred in a closet.
(b) Tipped over Mildred's cradle.
(c) Pulled Mildred out of her mother's lap.
(d) Pushed Mildred onto the floor.
12. How did Anne speak to Helen constantly?
(a) With tools and her own creations.
(b) Using the manual alphabet.
(c) With dolls and other manipulatives.
(d) Using Helen's made up signs.
13. What was Helen most interested in that she visited while on her trip?
(b) Bunker Hill.
(d) Plymouth Rock.
14. Why did Helen's family tend to let her have her own way whenever possible?
(a) Because they didn't know what else to do.
(b) Because she was the youngest child.
(c) Because of her rages.
(d) Because she couldn't see or hear.
15. Where did Helen and her family travel for their vacation?
(a) Fern Quarry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What astounded Helen when she woke up Christmas morning?
2. What subject did Helen not like?
3. How did Helen's family become acquainted with the Perkins Institute?
4. How did Helen feel as her vocabulary increased?
5. Which of the following best describes Helen's first nineteen months of life?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)