|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Helen begin to learn as soon as she could fingerspell some words?
(a) To read.
(b) To start conversations.
(c) To use manners.
(d) To communicate with others.
2. Which of the following is an example of a word game that Anne invented and played with Helen?
(a) Where's your nose?
(b) When did that happen?
(c) What time is it?
(d) How high is that?
3. How did Helen's family become acquainted with the Perkins Institute?
(a) Through Dr. Bell.
(b) Through Anne Sullivan.
(c) Through the eye doctor in Baltimore.
(d) Through Helen's mother's reading.
4. What caused Helen to get scared while she was on vacation with Anne?
(a) She tripped over a rock and hurt herself.
(b) A wave pulled her under water.
(c) She got lost and couldn't find Anne.
(d) A crab pinched her feet.
5. In what way does Helen see herself as fortunate in terms of her family?
(a) Her mother gave up work to take care of Helen.
(b) Her family did not abadon her when she became ill.
(c) Her father died in the war trying to protecte Helen.
(d) Her parents had good connections and kept reading.
6. In what way was Helen gifted from the beginning of her life?
7. What game did Helen think reading was like?
(a) Ring around the Rosey.
(d) Crossword puzzles.
8. How did Helen get interested in learning about dinosaurs?
(a) A man sending her fossils.
(b) A bone she found in the field.
(c) A story that Anne read to her.
(d) A conversation with Martha about them.
9. Where did Helen's parents take her to see a famous eye doctor?
(a) New York.
(d) Washington, D.C.
10. What was Helen most interested in that she visited while on her trip?
(a) Plymouth Rock.
(b) Bunker Hill.
11. How old was Helen when she wrote this novel?
12. For how many years did Helen live in isolation?
13. In what area did Helen have a lot of catching up to do?
14. What was the first book Helen read from?
(a) The newspaper.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Reader for Beginners.
(d) Beginning Readers.
15. What does Helen indicate she felt after he tantrums passed?
(a) Something like relief.
(b) Something like release.
(c) Something like anger.
(d) Something like regret.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Helen need to learn about the spellings Annie was completing in her hand?
2. Which of the following could be considered the theme of chapter five?
3. What did Helen name her canary?
4. Where was the Perkins Institute located?
5. How did Helen view nature?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)