|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Helen's learning feel like to her?
(d) Being freed.
2. How did Anne Sullivan believe that normal children learned language?
(a) Having it specifically taught to them.
(b) Watching it happen before them.
(c) Engaging in it at the time.
(d) Being exposed to it constantly.
3. What did Helen break when she was raging in trying to learn the difference between mug and water?
(a) A new doll.
(b) The water pump.
(c) Mildred's new cradle.
(d) Sullivan's glasses.
4. At what age did Helen say her first word?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 12 months.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 8 months.
5. How did Helen feel about Dr. Bell?
(a) She loved him right away.
(b) She was afraid of him.
(c) She was frustrated when she was with him.
(d) She was angry when he tried to work with her.
6. What subject was Helen able to learn about while on her trip?
7. What was the first thing Sullivan begin to teach Helen?
(a) Signing her name.
(b) How to eat.
8. What did Helen learn to fear?
(a) Being alone with no one to help her communicate.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) The power of nature.
(d) Her half-brothers.
9. Why did Helen's family tend to let her have her own way whenever possible?
(a) Because of her rages.
(b) Because she was the youngest child.
(c) Because they didn't know what else to do.
(d) Because she couldn't see or hear.
10. For how many years did Helen live in isolation?
11. In what year was this novel first published?
12. Who best understood Helen's first limited sign language?
(a) Her father.
(b) No one.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her nurse.
13. Which of the following is not true about Helen?
(a) She was jealous of her little sister.
(b) She had a few chores she had to do.
(c) She felt loved by her parents.
(d) She hated helping in the kitchen.
14. Why did Sullivan take Helen outside?
(a) To trying using objects from the outdoors.
(b) To remove her from an interfering family.
(c) To change the scenery and mood.
(d) To cool Helen's temper and give herself a break.
15. What did Helen, Mildred and Anne do when the train approached?
(a) Waved at the engineer.
(b) Held on to the swaying trestles.
(c) Jumped into the stream.
(d) Ran off of the railroad tracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first book Helen read from?
2. What did Helen need to learn about the spellings Annie was completing in her hand?
3. What was Mildred's suggestion to Helen and Mildred?
4. What biblical feature does Helen equate Anne Sullivan with?
5. How old was Helen when she became blind and deaf?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)