|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first abstract term Helen learned to understand?
2. What was Helen most interested in that she visited while on her trip?
(b) Bunker Hill.
(c) Plymouth Rock.
3. How did Helen spend the rest of her summer?
(a) Playing and communicating with her family.
(b) Building her vocabulary.
(c) Visiting doctors and schools.
(d) Traveling with Anne.
4. What was Sullivan trying to teach Helen the difference between when Helen became extremely frustrated?
(a) Mug and water.
(b) Pump and flower.
(c) Knife and fork.
(d) Doll and book.
5. Why was Helen's small vocabulary of signs not enough?
(a) She could not use them fast enough.
(b) She grew and so did her need to express herself.
(c) Many people thought they were inappropriate.
(d) Enough people did not understand them.
6. What subject did Helen learn about on the walks she and Anne took?
(a) Social Studies.
7. What did Anne go to get while Helen was waiting for her to return?
8. What causes Helen's feelings of pain for the other students to pass quickly?
(a) She is moved on to another location.
(b) She sees them as happy and contented.
(c) They tell her not to be upset.
(d) She learns about some additional students.
9. How does Helen describe this Christmas?
(a) Her most exciting Christmas.
(b) Her favorite Christmas.
(c) Her best Christmas.
(d) Her first real Christmas.
10. What was the first the first word Helen connected with the spelling?
11. What was Helen allowed to do for the first time with the Tuscumbia school children?
(a) Give the children their gifts.
(b) Sing Christmas carols.
(c) Hang stockings.
(d) Decorate the tree.
12. What game did Helen think reading was like?
(c) Crossword puzzles.
(d) Ring around the Rosey.
13. Helen's account of learning to make the connection between the spellings and objects is a snapshot of what?
(a) How fondly Helen looks on her teacher.
(b) How creative discoveries are made.
(c) The difference between student and teacher.
(d) How work pays off.
14. What abstract term did it take a very long time for Helen to understand?
15. What happened while Helen, Mildred and Anne were in the woods?
(a) They found a stream and played in it.
(b) They watched/felt trains go by.
(c) They found some baby animals.
(d) They got lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Helen's relationship with Martha as they played together?
2. What subject was Helen able to learn about while on her trip?
3. In what year was this novel first published?
4. After the storm, what was it a long time before Helen did again?
5. At what age did Helen say her first word?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)