|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Helen ask Anne about the ocean?
(a) Who put salt in the water?
(b) How big is it?
(c) Why is it so strong?
(d) What animals live in it?
2. Which of the following is an example of a word game that Anne invented and played with Helen?
(a) When did that happen?
(b) How high is that?
(c) What time is it?
(d) Where's your nose?
3. Where would Helen sit to be splashed by the waves?
(a) Where the waves broke in the water.
(b) On a large rock.
(c) In a beach chair.
(d) On the sand.
4. What was the first book Helen read from?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Reader for Beginners.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) Beginning Readers.
5. What did Anne go to get while Helen was waiting for her to return?
6. Where did Anne and Helen often take walks?
(a) To the fields with the animals.
(b) Into the town.
(c) By the Tennessee river.
(d) Far into the meadow.
7. In what year did Anne Sullivan come to teach Helen?
8. Why did Sullivan take Helen outside?
(a) To change the scenery and mood.
(b) To trying using objects from the outdoors.
(c) To remove her from an interfering family.
(d) To cool Helen's temper and give herself a break.
9. What astounded Helen when she woke up Christmas morning?
(a) She found presents everywhere.
(b) She was the first person awake.
(c) She has presents herself.
(d) She had a gift from Anne.
10. What causes Helen's feelings of pain for the other students to pass quickly?
(a) She learns about some additional students.
(b) She is moved on to another location.
(c) She sees them as happy and contented.
(d) They tell her not to be upset.
11. Helen's account of learning to make the connection between the spellings and objects is a snapshot of what?
(a) How creative discoveries are made.
(b) The difference between student and teacher.
(c) How work pays off.
(d) How fondly Helen looks on her teacher.
12. How did Helen feel about Dr. Bell?
(a) She was frustrated when she was with him.
(b) She loved him right away.
(c) She was afraid of him.
(d) She was angry when he tried to work with her.
13. What did Helen's aunt make for her?
(a) A new dress for her trip to the doctor.
(b) A doll made out of towels.
(c) A necklace made out beads.
(d) A cane made out of jewels.
14. Why might nature seem to be more menacing to Helen?
(a) Because she didn't understand its laws.
(b) Because she did not have all of her senses.
(c) Because it was an ongoing paradox.
(d) Because she was unable to communicate well.
15. What did Helen indicate she did not know about Pilgrims at the time?
(a) That they came from another country.
(b) That they did not land every where.
(c) That they persecuted others.
(d) That they traveled for religious freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Learning these finger spellings could be said to be what for Helen?
2. What animal does Helen drag home?
3. What did Helen name her canary?
4. What did Helen consider to be one of her favorite childhood pastimes?
5. What did Helen's learning feel like to her?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)