|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Helen describe this Christmas?
(a) Her best Christmas.
(b) Her first real Christmas.
(c) Her favorite Christmas.
(d) Her most exciting Christmas.
2. Which of the following is not true about Helen?
(a) She felt loved by her parents.
(b) She hated helping in the kitchen.
(c) She was jealous of her little sister.
(d) She had a few chores she had to do.
3. Where did most of Helen's reading and studying take place?
(d) Dining room.
4. What subject did Helen not like?
5. What did Helen ask Anne about the ocean?
(a) Who put salt in the water?
(b) Why is it so strong?
(c) How big is it?
(d) What animals live in it?
6. Why was Helen's small vocabulary of signs not enough?
(a) She could not use them fast enough.
(b) Many people thought they were inappropriate.
(c) She grew and so did her need to express herself.
(d) Enough people did not understand them.
7. Which of the following could be considered the theme of chapter five?
(a) Child's innocence.
(b) On-going learning.
(d) Mixed blessings.
8. What did Helen do to Mildred when she was in a rage?
(a) Pushed Mildred onto the floor.
(b) Hid Mildred in a closet.
(c) Pulled Mildred out of her mother's lap.
(d) Tipped over Mildred's cradle.
9. In what year was this novel first published?
10. Where is Fern Quarry located?
11. Helen's account of learning to make the connection between the spellings and objects is a snapshot of what?
(a) How creative discoveries are made.
(b) How fondly Helen looks on her teacher.
(c) The difference between student and teacher.
(d) How work pays off.
12. Where did Helen and Anne vacation after leaving Boston?
(a) Cape Cod.
(b) New York.
13. How old was Helen when she became blind and deaf?
14. Which of the following best describes Helen's relationship with Martha as they played together?
15. Where would Helen sit to be splashed by the waves?
(a) In a beach chair.
(b) On the sand.
(c) On a large rock.
(d) Where the waves broke in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first the first word Helen connected with the spelling?
2. In what state was Helen born?
3. What did Helen indicate she did not know about Pilgrims at the time?
4. Where did most of Helen's lessons come from during the summer?
5. What does Helen indicate Sullivan's arrival freed her from?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)