|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Helen doing when Anne tapped her forehead and spelled think?
(b) Playing with her dolls.
(c) Sitting on her mother's lap.
(d) Wasting time.
2. Which of the following best describes Helen's relationship with Martha as they played together?
3. What abstract term did it take a very long time for Helen to understand?
4. What was Helen allowed to do for the first time with the Tuscumbia school children?
(a) Sing Christmas carols.
(b) Hang stockings.
(c) Decorate the tree.
(d) Give the children their gifts.
5. In what way was Helen gifted from the beginning of her life?
6. Where did Helen and her family travel for their vacation?
(c) Fern Quarry.
7. Who best understood Helen's first limited sign language?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her nurse.
(d) No one.
8. What was the first the first word Helen connected with the spelling?
9. Where is Fern Quarry located?
10. How did Helen feel about Dr. Bell?
(a) She was angry when he tried to work with her.
(b) She was afraid of him.
(c) She loved him right away.
(d) She was frustrated when she was with him.
11. How did Helen get interested in learning about dinosaurs?
(a) A man sending her fossils.
(b) A bone she found in the field.
(c) A story that Anne read to her.
(d) A conversation with Martha about them.
12. Why was Helen's small vocabulary of signs not enough?
(a) She grew and so did her need to express herself.
(b) Enough people did not understand them.
(c) Many people thought they were inappropriate.
(d) She could not use them fast enough.
13. How did Helen and Anne spend he rest of the day after Helen made the connection between the finger spelling and objects?
(a) Playing and laughing together outside.
(b) Reviewing the manual alphabet.
(c) Learning the names for people close to her and names of things in her surroundings.
(d) Turning on and off the pump and practicing spelling water.
14. What did Helen's learning feel like to her?
(a) Being freed.
15. For how many years did Helen live in isolation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Helen indicate she did not know about Pilgrims at the time?
2. What did Helen ask Anne about the ocean?
3. What game did Helen think reading was like?
4. What does Helen indicate Sullivan's arrival freed her from?
5. What was Helen doing when her next big step came?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)