|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Helen spend the rest of her summer?
(a) Playing and communicating with her family.
(b) Building her vocabulary.
(c) Visiting doctors and schools.
(d) Traveling with Anne.
2. Why weren't many people near where Helen lived aware of resources for the blind and deaf?
(a) Those who were blind and/or deaf were not premitted to attend schools.
(b) The town was so far away from any school for the blind and deaf.
(c) There were no others in the town who were blind or deaf.
(d) No such schools existed within the state at this time.
3. What astounded Helen when she woke up Christmas morning?
(a) She found presents everywhere.
(b) She was the first person awake.
(c) She has presents herself.
(d) She had a gift from Anne.
4. What did Helen, Mildred and Anne do when the train approached?
(a) Waved at the engineer.
(b) Jumped into the stream.
(c) Ran off of the railroad tracks.
(d) Held on to the swaying trestles.
5. What causes Helen's feelings of pain for the other students to pass quickly?
(a) She is moved on to another location.
(b) They tell her not to be upset.
(c) She learns about some additional students.
(d) She sees them as happy and contented.
6. In what way was Helen becoming a danger to herself and others?
(a) Her need for stimulation exceeded her parent's ability to train her.
(b) Her energy level was waning and she was unable to sustain herself.
(c) She showed more jealousy against every single person she encountered.
(d) She refused to participate in family activities.
7. What was Helen doing when her next big step came?
(a) Sitting in a tree.
(b) Taking a walk with Anne.
(c) Going through the store.
(d) Trying to solve a problem.
8. What does Helen indicate Sullivan's arrival freed her from?
9. What was Helen doing when Anne tapped her forehead and spelled think?
(a) Wasting time.
(c) Sitting on her mother's lap.
(d) Playing with her dolls.
10. What caused Helen to get scared while she was on vacation with Anne?
(a) A wave pulled her under water.
(b) She tripped over a rock and hurt herself.
(c) She got lost and couldn't find Anne.
(d) A crab pinched her feet.
11. How did Helen's family become acquainted with the Perkins Institute?
(a) Through the eye doctor in Baltimore.
(b) Through Anne Sullivan.
(c) Through Helen's mother's reading.
(d) Through Dr. Bell.
12. What animal does Helen drag home?
(c) Horseshoe crab.
(d) Hermit crab.
13. What was Helen's favorite Christmas present?
(a) A new book.
(b) A canary.
(c) A brand new doll.
(d) A cat.
14. Who best understood Helen's first limited sign language?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her nurse.
(c) Her father.
(d) No one.
15. In what way does Helen see herself as fortunate in terms of her family?
(a) Her family did not abadon her when she became ill.
(b) Her parents had good connections and kept reading.
(c) Her mother gave up work to take care of Helen.
(d) Her father died in the war trying to protecte Helen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Helen get interested in learning about dinosaurs?
2. Why wasn't Mildred hurt?
3. What was the first the first word Helen connected with the spelling?
4. What did Helen consider to be one of her favorite childhood pastimes?
5. In what year was Helen born?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)