|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did most of Helen's reading and studying take place?
(d) Dining room.
2. Where was the Perkins Institute located?
(c) New York.
3. What did Anne go to get while Helen was waiting for her to return?
4. What was the first book Helen read from?
(a) Reader for Beginners.
(b) Beginning Readers.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) The Bible.
5. Why did Helen's family tend to let her have her own way whenever possible?
(a) Because of her rages.
(b) Because she couldn't see or hear.
(c) Because she was the youngest child.
(d) Because they didn't know what else to do.
6. In what way was Helen gifted from the beginning of her life?
7. What did Helen's aunt make for her?
(a) A cane made out of jewels.
(b) A new dress for her trip to the doctor.
(c) A doll made out of towels.
(d) A necklace made out beads.
8. What game did Helen think reading was like?
(a) Crossword puzzles.
(c) Ring around the Rosey.
9. What did Helen ask Anne about the ocean?
(a) Why is it so strong?
(b) Who put salt in the water?
(c) How big is it?
(d) What animals live in it?
10. What was Sullivan trying to teach Helen the difference between when Helen became extremely frustrated?
(a) Doll and book.
(b) Mug and water.
(c) Knife and fork.
(d) Pump and flower.
11. What did Helen consider to be one of her favorite childhood pastimes?
(a) Feeling storms.
(b) Eating outside.
(c) Working with Anne.
(d) Climbing trees.
12. How did Helen's family become acquainted with the Perkins Institute?
(a) Through Anne Sullivan.
(b) Through Helen's mother's reading.
(c) Through Dr. Bell.
(d) Through the eye doctor in Baltimore.
13. What did Helen need to learn about the spellings Annie was completing in her hand?
(a) That it was one object.
(b) That she had to pay attention to Annie.
(c) That the letters all went together.
(d) That they were the names of things.
14. What was Helen allowed to do for the first time with the Tuscumbia school children?
(a) Hang stockings.
(b) Sing Christmas carols.
(c) Decorate the tree.
(d) Give the children their gifts.
15. Who cared for the canary?
(b) Helen's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject was Helen able to learn about while on her trip?
2. What was Helen doing when Anne tapped her forehead and spelled think?
3. What did Helen indicate she did not know about Pilgrims at the time?
4. What did Helen do to Mildred when she was in a rage?
5. Which of the following best describes Helen's first nineteen months of life?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)