|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Helen allowed to do for the first time with the Tuscumbia school children?
(a) Decorate the tree.
(b) Sing Christmas carols.
(c) Hang stockings.
(d) Give the children their gifts.
2. In what year was Helen born?
3. Learning these finger spellings could be said to be what for Helen?
(a) The end to a long road.
(b) A simple pattern of effort.
(c) A period of great learning.
(d) A bridge to the world.
4. What subject did Helen not like?
5. Where is Fern Quarry located?
6. What was the first the first word Helen connected with the spelling?
7. What animal does Helen drag home?
(c) Horseshoe crab.
(d) Hermit crab.
8. In what way was Helen becoming a danger to herself and others?
(a) She refused to participate in family activities.
(b) Her energy level was waning and she was unable to sustain herself.
(c) She showed more jealousy against every single person she encountered.
(d) Her need for stimulation exceeded her parent's ability to train her.
9. Who did the eye doctor recommend that Helen's parents contact?
(a) Sarah Fuller.
(b) Miss Anne Sullivan.
(c) Ivy Green.
(d) Dr. Alexander Graham Bell.
10. What does Helen indicate Sullivan's arrival freed her from?
11. In what month did Anne Sullivan arrive at Ivy Green to work with Helen?
12. How did Anne Sullivan believe that normal children learned language?
(a) Watching it happen before them.
(b) Being exposed to it constantly.
(c) Engaging in it at the time.
(d) Having it specifically taught to them.
13. Where did Helen and her family travel for their vacation?
(d) Fern Quarry.
14. What happened while Helen, Mildred and Anne were in the woods?
(a) They watched/felt trains go by.
(b) They got lost.
(c) They found some baby animals.
(d) They found a stream and played in it.
15. Where did Helen's parents take her to see a famous eye doctor?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anne use the manual alphabet to help Helen learn?
2. Which of the following best describes Helen's sense when she first makes the connection that the spellings are the names of things?
3. What game did Helen think reading was like?
4. What was the first abstract term Helen learned to understand?
5. What did Helen's learning feel like to her?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)