|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why weren't many people near where Helen lived aware of resources for the blind and deaf?
(a) The town was so far away from any school for the blind and deaf.
(b) No such schools existed within the state at this time.
(c) Those who were blind and/or deaf were not premitted to attend schools.
(d) There were no others in the town who were blind or deaf.
2. At what age did Helen say her first word?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 12 months.
(d) 8 months.
3. How old was Helen when she became blind and deaf?
4. Which genre best describes this novel?
(b) Historical fiction.
5. Why might nature seem to be more menacing to Helen?
(a) Because she didn't understand its laws.
(b) Because she did not have all of her senses.
(c) Because it was an ongoing paradox.
(d) Because she was unable to communicate well.
6. What did Helen compare the trip she took to?
(a) An unveiling.
(b) A fairy tale.
(c) A great adventure.
(d) A bible story.
7. Why wasn't Mildred hurt?
(a) Helen regretted her actions soon enough.
(b) The cook pulled Helen away from Mildred.
(c) Mildred was able to defend herself.
(d) Her mother was there to catch her.
8. What subject was Helen able to learn about while on her trip?
9. In what area did Helen have a lot of catching up to do?
10. Why did Sullivan take Helen outside?
(a) To remove her from an interfering family.
(b) To trying using objects from the outdoors.
(c) To cool Helen's temper and give herself a break.
(d) To change the scenery and mood.
11. Which of the following best describes Helen's first nineteen months of life?
12. How does Helen describe this Christmas?
(a) Her best Christmas.
(b) Her first real Christmas.
(c) Her most exciting Christmas.
(d) Her favorite Christmas.
13. What was Helen's favorite Christmas present?
(a) A canary.
(b) A new book.
(c) A cat.
(d) A brand new doll.
14. What caused Helen's tantrums to increase in severity?
(a) Her parents began to tell her no more regularly.
(b) Her size and weight increased.
(c) Her desire to express herself grew.
(d) She was out of the house more often.
15. Helen's account of learning to make the connection between the spellings and objects is a snapshot of what?
(a) How work pays off.
(b) How creative discoveries are made.
(c) How fondly Helen looks on her teacher.
(d) The difference between student and teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Helen's parents take her to see a famous eye doctor?
2. After the storm, what was it a long time before Helen did again?
3. Which of the following best describes Helen's sense when she first makes the connection that the spellings are the names of things?
4. What did Helen do to Mildred when she was in a rage?
5. How old was Helen when she wrote this novel?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)