|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Helen view nature?
(a) As something she cannot understand.
(b) As a miracle.
(c) As a waste of her time.
(d) As a constant lesson.
2. In what state was Helen born?
(a) New York.
3. Who best understood Helen's first limited sign language?
(a) Her father.
(b) No one.
(c) Her nurse.
(d) Her mother.
4. Which genre best describes this novel?
(d) Historical fiction.
5. What did Helen begin to learn as soon as she could fingerspell some words?
(a) To communicate with others.
(b) To use manners.
(c) To start conversations.
(d) To read.
6. In what way was Helen gifted from the beginning of her life?
7. How did Anne speak to Helen constantly?
(a) With tools and her own creations.
(b) With dolls and other manipulatives.
(c) Using Helen's made up signs.
(d) Using the manual alphabet.
8. What did daily immersion in language allow Helen to do?
(a) Become more of an active participant in the family.
(b) Keep busy and away from throwing tantrums.
(c) Participate in more conversations.
(d) Make cognitive leaps and function at a higher level.
9. Where is Fern Quarry located?
10. How did Helen feel as her vocabulary increased?
(a) Resigned to always be an outsider.
(b) More a part of the world.
(c) As if she knew everything.
(d) Sad that she couldn't learn fast enough.
11. What did Anne go to get while Helen was waiting for her to return?
12. How did Helen spend the rest of her summer?
(a) Building her vocabulary.
(b) Playing and communicating with her family.
(c) Visiting doctors and schools.
(d) Traveling with Anne.
13. Which of the following is an example of a word game that Anne invented and played with Helen?
(a) What time is it?
(b) Where's your nose?
(c) How high is that?
(d) When did that happen?
14. Where did Anne and Helen often take walks?
(a) Into the town.
(b) To the fields with the animals.
(c) By the Tennessee river.
(d) Far into the meadow.
15. What abstract term did it take a very long time for Helen to understand?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Helen and her family travel for their vacation?
2. What was Helen doing when her next big step came?
3. In what way was Helen becoming a danger to herself and others?
4. In what year was Helen born?
5. How does Helen describe this Christmas?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)