|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was this novel first published?
2. What was Sullivan trying to teach Helen the difference between when Helen became extremely frustrated?
(a) Doll and book.
(b) Pump and flower.
(c) Knife and fork.
(d) Mug and water.
3. What did Helen learn to fear?
(a) The power of nature.
(b) Being alone with no one to help her communicate.
(c) Her half-brothers.
(d) Her teacher.
4. What was Mildred's suggestion to Helen and Mildred?
(a) They follow a railroad trestle to get home.
(b) They follow a path of stones to get home.
(c) They follow a squirrel to get home.
(d) They follow a small stream to get home.
5. In what month did Anne Sullivan arrive at Ivy Green to work with Helen?
6. What did daily immersion in language allow Helen to do?
(a) Make cognitive leaps and function at a higher level.
(b) Become more of an active participant in the family.
(c) Keep busy and away from throwing tantrums.
(d) Participate in more conversations.
7. What did Helen do to Mildred when she was in a rage?
(a) Pushed Mildred onto the floor.
(b) Tipped over Mildred's cradle.
(c) Pulled Mildred out of her mother's lap.
(d) Hid Mildred in a closet.
8. For how many years did Helen live in isolation?
9. What caused Helen to get scared while she was on vacation with Anne?
(a) A wave pulled her under water.
(b) She tripped over a rock and hurt herself.
(c) She got lost and couldn't find Anne.
(d) A crab pinched her feet.
10. What did Helen need to learn how to recognize and communicate?
(a) Concrete things.
(d) Natural events.
11. What did Helen indicate she did not know about Pilgrims at the time?
(a) That they came from another country.
(b) That they traveled for religious freedom.
(c) That they persecuted others.
(d) That they did not land every where.
12. What was Helen most interested in that she visited while on her trip?
(a) Plymouth Rock.
(c) Bunker Hill.
13. What took Helen's sight and hearing?
14. At whose home did Helen and Anne stay?
(a) Mrs. Sullivan's.
(b) Mrs. Perkins's.
(c) Ms. Keller's.
(d) Mr. Bell's.
15. What did Helen break when she was raging in trying to learn the difference between mug and water?
(a) The water pump.
(b) Mildred's new cradle.
(c) A new doll.
(d) Sullivan's glasses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anne use the manual alphabet to help Helen learn?
2. What abstract term did it take a very long time for Helen to understand?
3. What did Helen consider to be one of her favorite childhood pastimes?
4. What game did Helen think reading was like?
5. What did Helen name her canary?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)