|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Helen's small vocabulary of signs not enough?
(a) Many people thought they were inappropriate.
(b) Enough people did not understand them.
(c) She could not use them fast enough.
(d) She grew and so did her need to express herself.
2. What subject did Helen learn about on the walks she and Anne took?
(b) Social Studies.
3. What did Anne go to get while Helen was waiting for her to return?
4. What was Sullivan trying to teach Helen the difference between when Helen became extremely frustrated?
(a) Pump and flower.
(b) Knife and fork.
(c) Doll and book.
(d) Mug and water.
5. For how many years did Helen live in isolation?
6. Why did Helen's family tend to let her have her own way whenever possible?
(a) Because of her rages.
(b) Because they didn't know what else to do.
(c) Because she was the youngest child.
(d) Because she couldn't see or hear.
7. What did Helen learn to fear?
(a) The power of nature.
(b) Her half-brothers.
(c) Being alone with no one to help her communicate.
(d) Her teacher.
8. Which of the following best describes Helen's sense when she first makes the connection that the spellings are the names of things?
9. Why weren't many people near where Helen lived aware of resources for the blind and deaf?
(a) There were no others in the town who were blind or deaf.
(b) The town was so far away from any school for the blind and deaf.
(c) Those who were blind and/or deaf were not premitted to attend schools.
(d) No such schools existed within the state at this time.
10. What was Helen doing when Anne tapped her forehead and spelled think?
(a) Sitting on her mother's lap.
(b) Wasting time.
(d) Playing with her dolls.
11. How old was Helen when she wrote this novel?
12. Who cared for the canary?
(b) Helen's mother.
13. Where did Helen and her family travel for their vacation?
(a) Fern Quarry.
14. In what area did Helen have a lot of catching up to do?
15. What was the first abstract term Helen learned to understand?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why might nature seem to be more menacing to Helen?
2. How did Anne speak to Helen constantly?
3. How did Helen feel as her vocabulary increased?
4. What was Helen's favorite Christmas present?
5. What did Helen do to Mildred when she was in a rage?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)