|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Talcott compare the fighting?
2. For whom are the miners cheering?
3. Where does Albion say he wants to go?
4. What do the miners commandeer?
5. How does C.J. want to keep the workers from feeling united?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Carrie doing in the hotel and what does she learn about the attacks on the miners? What does Rondal do?
2. What do Rondal and Carrie hear about what is happening in the mining camps?
3. What happens after three days of fighting and to what does Talcott compare the fighting?
4. What do the mining companies do when their team is going to play Annadel and what is Annadel's response?
5. What do Carrie and Albion do after marrying?
6. What do the women do after a black child dies?
7. What does Talcott tell Rondal about the men replacing Chafin's men, what does he ask Rondal and what does Rondal do? What happens to Rondal?
8. What is Albion doing when he returns to Homeplace and what does he say to Carrie? How does Carrie's family feel about him being back in town?
9. What happens when Isom tries to arrest the gun thugs in May of 1920?
10. How are Albion and Isom killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles are thought to be very important in both giving the reader a clue about the story and enticing one to read a book. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Storming Heaven is the chosen title for this novel?
2. Do you think this title would entice you to read this novel? Why or why not?
3. Do you think this rather nondescript title reflects the story it heralds? Explain your response using examples from the book.
4. If you had to title this novel in order to encourage more readers, what would you name it and why?
Essay Topic 2
In a last burst of hope mixed with anger, the miners confront the army of guards. The miners lose. When two groups are opposed, the one that is most organized and structured ultimately wins.
1. Compare the situation of the miners with a situation in American history, for example the American Indians opposing the white man.
2. Do you believe the most powerful and organized always wins? Can the flea make the lion surrender? Why or why not?
3. How would this situation correlate with guerrilla warfare?
Essay Topic 3
There is a growing gap between the positions of the two camps involved in the growing conflict - the miners and the Company's representatives.
1. Why do you think the mine owners are unwilling to listen to the miners?
2. Do you think the miners are demanding too much from the mine owners? Why or why not?
3. If you were a negotiator between these two groups how would you attempt to forge an agreement?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)