|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosa say about her sons?
2. How do the police and gun thugs protect themselves?
3. What does Talcott ask of Rondal?
4. What is Talcott's sentence?
5. For whom are the miners cheering?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carrie see Rondal again?
2. What do Rondal and Carrie hear about what is happening in the mining camps?
3. What happens after three days of fighting and to what does Talcott compare the fighting?
4. How does Rondal change his methods and why does he change them?
5. What does C.J. think about the baseball teams the mining companies form and how is his mind changed?
6. What does Carrie do after talking to Rondal, what does Albion tell her and what does she decide?
7. What does Rondal talk to Carrie about and what his her response?
8. What does Carrie do when Rondal brings her breakfast and what does she tell him?
9. Why do Rondal, Carrie and Booker leave Charleston and where will they have to pass through to get where they are going?
10. How are Albion and Isom killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Rowley Flint with Edgar Swift. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they sympathetic characters? Who would you most likely have as a friend? Why? Is each one believable? Why or why not.
2. Compare/contrast Rowley Flint with Karl Richter. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they sympathetic characters? Who would you most likely have as a friend? Why? Is each one believable? Why or why not.
3. Compare/contrast Mary as she seems early in the book and in her flashbacks to how Mary is by the end of the book. Is she the same? Different? Wiser? More or less daring? Is she likable? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Storming Heaven, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
The triumphs of collectivism are short lived and their assurance follows the path of their deteriorating conditions of living.
1. Why and how do you think the triumphant collectivism of the miners being focused together deteriorated?
2. How do you think the focused collectivism of an organized body, such as an army, can remain stable as opposed to the miners?
3. Do you think organization and strong leadership are always necessary in order for a group to work together?
Use examples from Storming Heaven to support your answer.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)