|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Davidson brought in for his team?
2. Why is Rondal working in a sawmill?
3. What is Talcott's sentence?
4. What does Carrie agree Albion can do?
5. Where does Rondal take the woman who lost all her sons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Rondal and Carrie do when they reach Charleston and what does Talcott do about the union movement at that point?
2. What happens to Rosa in Chapter 17?
3. What do the women do after a black child dies?
4. What do Carrie and Albion do after marrying?
5. What do Rondal and Carrie hear about what is happening in the mining camps?
6. Why do Rondal, Carrie and Booker leave Charleston and where will they have to pass through to get where they are going?
7. How does Carrie see Rondal again?
8. What happens after three days of fighting and to what does Talcott compare the fighting?
9. What is Carrie doing in the hotel and what does she learn about the attacks on the miners? What does Rondal do?
10. What does Carrie do when Rondal brings her breakfast and what does she tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Storming Heaven is a historical novel that tells the story of struggling West Virginia coal miners in the early twentieth century, which is a story that has often been neglected by history books. This novel gives a fictional but accurate account of how the miners stood together and how business and political interests used deadly force to preserve the oppressive conditions. Discuss the following:
1. How do the interest of business and politicians coincide in Storming Heaven? Use examples from the text to support your response.
2. Do you think there are any incidences or events in present day America in which big business and politicians seem to combine their power in ways in which it might not be in the best interest of the lower economic classes? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
3. There have been a number of incidences in American history where the government has used deadly force against its citizens even as recent as the 1960's and 1970's. Do you think it is possible the government would ever use force against its citizens in the present time? Why or why not?
4. The miners, after many atrocities began to meet violence with violence. Do you think this was the wrong approach? Why or why not?
5. Do you think the miners had the moral right to use violence when it was used against them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The farmers' lands are taken from them and the coal companies move in to virtually take over the area and the miners' lives, controlling their housing, food and how they can spend their money.
1. How do you think powerlessness engenders anger?
2. What are alternatives to anger to deal with powerlessness?
3. Do you believe the anger seen in the miners' lives is caused by their powerlessness? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Titles are thought to be very important in both giving the reader a clue about the story and enticing one to read a book. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Storming Heaven is the chosen title for this novel?
2. Do you think this title would entice you to read this novel? Why or why not?
3. Do you think this rather nondescript title reflects the story it heralds? Explain your response using examples from the book.
4. If you had to title this novel in order to encourage more readers, what would you name it and why?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)