|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do they get miners to the staging area?
2. How does C.J. want to keep the workers from feeling united?
3. What has the U.S. President ordered the Army to do?
4. What has Davidson brought in for his team?
5. What happens to the Davidson mine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carrie see Rondal again?
2. What do Carrie and Albion do after marrying?
3. What does C.J. think about the baseball teams the mining companies form and how is his mind changed?
4. What happens when Rondal and the others arrive at Blair Mountain?
5. Why do Rondal, Carrie and Booker leave Charleston and where will they have to pass through to get where they are going?
6. Why does Rondal visit Homeplace and what is Carrie's response?
7. Where does Carrie go when the fighting begins and what does she tell Dr. Booker? What is his response?
8. What does Talcott tell Rondal about the men replacing Chafin's men, what does he ask Rondal and what does Rondal do? What happens to Rondal?
9. What is Carrie doing in the hotel and what does she learn about the attacks on the miners? What does Rondal do?
10. How are Albion and Isom killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As in almost any text, there are a number of symbols and metaphors present in Storming Heaven. Discuss one of the following:
1. Choose three major symbols in the novel and discuss their meanings as they occur in various places throughout the text.
2. Choose two major metaphors in the novel and discuss their meanings as they occur in various places throughout the text.
3. Discuss the symbol of "Storming Heaven" as it relates to the miners forming unions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Rowley Flint with Edgar Swift. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they sympathetic characters? Who would you most likely have as a friend? Why? Is each one believable? Why or why not.
2. Compare/contrast Rowley Flint with Karl Richter. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they sympathetic characters? Who would you most likely have as a friend? Why? Is each one believable? Why or why not.
3. Compare/contrast Mary as she seems early in the book and in her flashbacks to how Mary is by the end of the book. Is she the same? Different? Wiser? More or less daring? Is she likable? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Carrie decides to marry Albion after Rondal gives her the brush off. She decides she loves both of the men but it might have seemed that she took Albion as the second best choice.
1. List three criteria which you believe are essential for a good marriage. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Carrie and Albion's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
2. List three criteria which you believe make a successful marriage impossible. Discuss why you choose those three and then discuss if you believe Carrie and Albion's relationship possesses those qualities. Use examples from the text.
3. Using the three criteria which you list for both a successful marriage and those which would greatly hinder a successful marriage, argue whether or not you believe Carrie and Albion's marriage will be successful or a failure based upon the six criteria you cited.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)