|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the train that Carrie rides to Davidson?
2. Where do Rondal, Carrie and Dr. Booker go?
3. What does Rondal's mother do when he tries to talk with her?
4. Where does Albion live near Homeplace?
5. What does Lytton Davidson lament?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Carrie go when the fighting begins and what does she tell Dr. Booker? What is his response?
2. What does Rondal find out about the U.S. President and what is his response?
3. What happens when Rondal and the others arrive at Blair Mountain?
4. How does Carrie see Rondal again?
5. What does Carrie do after Albion is killed?
6. What does Carrie do when Rondal brings her breakfast and what does she tell him?
7. What is Carrie doing in the hotel and what does she learn about the attacks on the miners? What does Rondal do?
8. What does Rosa say about her children and what does Mario do after the explosion in the mine?
9. What happens to Rosa in Chapter 17?
10. What does Talcott tell Rondal about the men replacing Chafin's men, what does he ask Rondal and what does Rondal do? What happens to Rondal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of themes in Storming Heaven. Discuss one of the following:
1. Choose two major themes and analyze them and discuss examples of where that theme appears in the text.
2. Compare and contrast two major themes in the novel to those themes found in other texts/movies with which you are familiar.
3. Other than class, which theme do you think is the major theme of the book? Discuss why and give example
Essay Topic 2
Setting as far as place and time play an important role in Storming Heaven, if compared to twenty-first century's social mores. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast several aspects of the setting of that day from how it would be today. Consider things such as cultural norms/expectations, technology, religion and medicine.
2. Do you think Storming Heaven would be different if it were set in another country in that same era? Consider particularly class issues.
3. What issues that are present in the time of Storming Heaven would still be issues today? What would no longer be issues? Consider such things as class, women's roles, sexual freedom, propriety and manners, and integrity, and labor laws.
Essay Topic 3
Plots are sometimes said to be either character-driven or action-driven. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think Storming Heaven is more character-driven or action-driven? Explain.
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)